Is Svartalfheim and the other Nine Realms what you expected them to look like?

Same here, everything I want in Thor 3, it will be too much, especially if Thor 3 will be 111 mins as well haha.

I seem to want:
- Beta Ray Bill
- Hela (I think the filmmakers didn't use her because how did Loki have a daughter in the timeframe between the end of Thor and Avengers?)
- Ulik
- Enchantress & Executioner
(I'm sure that Kevin Feige said once that she is a fan favourite character, but she is so similar to Loki that they didn't want to use her yet because they wanted to mix it up with the villlains and not look the same)
- Surtur
- Ymir (I would love it if Ymir was the new leader of Jotunheim and Niffleheim after Laufey died and came from retirement)

I think it is obvious that they seem to be building up to Surtur and that is great, that's what I want, but that's the problem... where do you go after Surtur if they use him in the third film? because to me, he is the biggest Nine Realms threat for Thor.

That all sounds great. If I had to pair down my wishlist to just my top three things from your list, you'd still be left with the things in bold. Even that would be a lot to do correctly in one film without those characters having been introduced already, which they haven't been.

But with the MCU always expanding, we may get to see it all somehow in the years to come.

EDIT: and as for where to go after Surtur, that's when I'd move Thor out of the 9 Realms and do Beta Ray Bill or something else cosmic, OR (as Joss Whedon says regarding Avengers), go "deeper" or more personal rather than "larger" with the threat.

Last edited:
EDIT: and as for where to go after Surtur, that's when I'd move Thor out of the 9 Realms and do Beta Ray Bill or something else cosmic, OR (as Joss Whedon says regarding Avengers), go "deeper" or more personal rather than "larger" with the threat.

That's probably the best way to go for after after Thor 3

Thor 2: I like the fact they are using Malekith because of the fact he sets up Surtur nicely and apparently there are TWO after credit scenes and I'm sure one sets up maybe GOTG and other probably Surtur?

Thor 3: Surtur as the main Nine Realms threat and physical threat for Thor and maybe Enchantress as the Asgardian threat and magic/psychological threat for Thor.

Thor 4: Go more personal, go full on science fiction and get away from the Nine Realms and explore Beta Ray Bill and the Korbonites where he comes from.

EDIT: I don't think they will use Hela in the films because I don't think they want to introduce Loki having a daughter because it could become convoluted.

Thor 2: I like the fact they are using Malekith because of the fact he sets up Surtur nicely and apparently there are TWO after credit scenes and I'm sure one sets up maybe GOTG and other probably Surtur?

Thor 3: Surtur as the main Nine Realms threat and physical threat for Thor and maybe Enchantress as the Asgardian threat and magic/psychological threat for Thor.

Thor 4: Go more personal, go full on science fiction and get away from the Nine Realms and explore Beta Ray Bill and the Korbonites where he comes from.

EDIT: I don't think they will use Hela in the films because I don't think they want to introduce Loki having a daughter because it could become convoluted.

That all sounds about right! I can't wait to come in here after seeing T:TDW to speculate where things might go next.

Oh, and I'm thinking/hoping we'll see some Korbinites in GOTG (we saw some yellowish-orangeish people during filming). Aaaand to tie this back to the thread topic, I liked how they portrayed Korbin in the EMH episode:
Korbin.png

That all sounds about right! I can't wait to come in here after seeing T:TDW to speculate where things might go next.

Oh, and I'm thinking/hoping we'll see some Korbinites in GOTG (we saw some yellowish-orangeish people during filming). Aaaand to tie this back to the thread topic, I liked how they portrayed Korbin in the EMH episode:
Korbin.png

Yeah, I like how Korbin was portrayed too.

I'm just really excited like you to watch TDW and come back here to speculate where it could go.

Thor 1: Jack Kirby golden, shiny aesthetic

Thor 2: Norse, medieval, viking, gritty, lived in aesthetic

Thor 3: N/A I don't know what aesthetic they would do with Surtur. Will they stay with the viking look before going full sci-fi or will they go back to the Thor 1 aesthetic?

Thor 4: Full on GOTG style science fiction aesthetic for Beta Ray Bill and Korbin.

EDIT: I think Thor 3 should stay with the viking look because I think Surtur will suit it, then like I said, for Thor 4 go a completely different look/direction

Last edited:
Yeah, I like how Korbin was portrayed too.

I'm just really excited like you to watch TDW and come back here to speculate where it could go.

Thor 1: Jack Kirby golden, shiny aesthetic

Thor 2: Norse, medieval, viking, gritty, lived in aesthetic

Thor 3: N/A I don't know what aesthetic they would do with Surtur. Will they stay with the viking look before going full sci-fi or will they go back to the Thor 1 aesthetic?

Thor 4: Full on GOTG style science fiction aesthetic for Beta Ray Bill and Korbin.

EDIT: I think Thor 3 should stay with the viking look because I think Surtur will suit it, then like I said, for Thor 4 go a completely different look/direction

I agree that the general aesthetic should stay the same, but if we get Surtur in Thor 3, and that brings us Muspelheim, how do you think that world should look?

Should be a solid, but highly volcanic world? Or could they really push the envelope and make Muspelheim a planet that is like a sun or a very hot "gas giant"?

I agree that the general aesthetic should stay the same, but if we get Surtur in Thor 3, and that brings us Muspelheim, how do you think that world should look?

Should be a solid, but highly volcanic world? Or could they really push the envelope and make Muspelheim a planet that is like a sun or a very hot "gas giant"?

I don't know because if you look at the Nine Realms map, Muspelheim is at the bottom of the map, so I think it should be the biggest scale realm along side Asgard. I don't think it should be a planet or gas planet, but a unique looking shaped volcanic world.

I'm thinking maybe it should look like Mustafar from Star Wars Ep. 3, you have any ideas?

EDIT: Here is concept art of Muspelheim from the Thor: God of Thunder game

Surtur’s-Forge_Final_06-copy1.jpg

and art from the Norse mythology Muspelheim...

Muspelheim.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm... you bring up a good point that it doesn't have to be a planet or planetoid. I mean, Asgard in the MCU clearly isn't a traditional "planet," so Muspelheim doesn't have to be either. I think the first image you posted looks pretty awesome.

In the end, I'm all for something that is visually striking and unique. Something that we haven't seen in a film before.

I hope that T:TDW really does give us a glimpse of all the realms, as has been teased. Even if it is just a montage, a cinematic version of this would be awesome:
tumblr_m13ti0IJQL1qc9vexo1_1280.jpg

I whole heartedly agree with you guys on this. :highfive:

Now that some people have seen the film and reviews are out, for anyone who has seen the film can you talk about what you thought about each of the Nine Realms including Asgard, Svartalfheim, Vanaheim and ALL the other realms including Jotunheim that you apparently see in the final battle with Thor and Malekith.

In this thread, we've been speculating about the look/designs of the different realms, so for anyone who has seen the film, is it OK if you could go into as much detail as you can remember and talk about what you thought about the realms and what they looked like and how long we spend in each one in the final battle etc

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most of the reviewers think the scale of this film is huge, I've seen a lot of them call this film a mix between Star Wars and Lord of The Rings.

Which sounds absolutely awesome in my books.

To Start here are the movie and Comic layout of Yggdrasil

22qa.png

zhvo.png

I love how the light blue circles form the eyes, the dark blue the nose, the orange cirles teeth and the red outline a very odd shaped alien head. and then it says Chris Hemsworth, like it is a very, very bad caricature

There's a discussion in TDW that really makes me interested in how they will treat Hel if it's ever expanded upon in a sequel.

I love how the light blue circles form the eyes, the dark blue the nose, the orange cirles teeth and the red outline a very odd shaped alien head. and then it says Chris Hemsworth, like it is a very, very bad caricature

Look how big the top of that head is. Hemsworth is playing the Leader in the rumored Hulk movie! :wow:

Mjölnir;27126113 said:
Look how big the top of that head is. Hemsworth is playing the Leader in the rumored Hulk movie! :wow:
the ultimate easter egg!

Mjölnir;27126107 said:
There's a discussion in TDW that really makes me interested in how they will treat Hel if it's ever expanded upon in a sequel.

I hope by the time they make Thor 3 we get a Dr. Strange movie that fleshes out the Super Natural so Marvel doesn't ***** foot around the out right Supernatural nature of Hel.

So in the MCU Yggdrasil is a star system? (haven't seen TDW yet)

Well that image and the idea is from the first movie A lot of people completely MISSED the Tree. THAT image is from the credits. It's too bad there was never a screen saver of just the nebula. It looked very cool.

Even though the film hasn't come out yet in America, but most people have seen it, I thought to bring this thread back up again about if the Nine Realms are what you expected them to look like.

I have seen the film and overall I thought it was great, but not quite a home-run sequel like X-Men 2 or Spider-Man 2 where those sequels took their franchises to another level dramatically, but at the same time it's not an Iron Man 2, X-Men 3 or Spider-Man 3, so it's mid range of the two.

Sometimes my ranking changes slightly depending what mood I'm in, but this is pretty much how I would rank them.
My ranking:

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Thor: The Dark World
4. Thor
5. Captain America
6. Iron Man 3
7. The Incredible Hulk
8. Iron Man 2

Anyway... back to the point of the thread.

Asgard: I LOVED Asgard in this film, the design was pretty much perfect, I say pretty much because at times some of the Asgard tech like the laser cannons and the flying skiffs can be a tad out of place at times, but apart from that I love the whole Game of Thrones make-over in some scenes such as showing the streets of Asgard, the taverns, training camps AND THAT FUNERAL SCENE!!!

Vanaheim: Another realm I loved the look of because it was PURE medieval and I really dug it and it looked practical and real because it was shot on location. My only gripe is that I wish we spent longer there, maybe explore their culture more including Hogun's family he stayed behind for etc?

Svartalfheim: I'm a bit torn on what I think about the look of this realm because on one hand it makes sense for the story that it is a barren wasteland because Malekith wants to rebuild it, but on the other hand they could have done a lot more design wise to make it more interesting. It just looks like a simple open landscape with a green colour scheme.

Midgard: Obviously Earth is Earth, there's nothing exactly SPECIAL about it, but I'm glad they got out of that cheap, sound stage looking New Mexico desert town from the first film as London is a better location for the Earth characters this time around to add to the epic feel.

Jotunheim: There's nothing really to say about this realm because we where literally there for about 20 seconds in the final battle and that's it. Design wise it seemed to look the same as the first film, but I was disappointed that we didn't see what happened to the Frost Giants in the first film like who is their new leader (Ymir?). What I did like though is seeing that Frost creature again and Malekith being on Jotunheim is a little Easter Egg because of The Casket of Ancient Winters.

Muspelheim: This is the one I am most disappointed by. We saw a glimpse of Muspelheim in the final battle when the realms where aligning, but the film missed a good opportunity with Surtur set-up especially when you have Malekith in the film who teams up with Surtur in the comics. Also you could have easily set him up because they have the Eternal Flame in Odin's Vault to set up the Ragnarok storyline, so I think the filmmakers missed out on a great opportunity with stuff like this.

And as for the others: Alfheim, Hel/Niffleheim and Nidavellir, we didn't get to see them.

Last edited:
Now that some people have seen the film and reviews are out, for anyone who has seen the film can you talk about what you thought about each of the Nine Realms including Asgard, Svartalfheim, Vanaheim and ALL the other realms including Jotunheim that you apparently see in the final battle with Thor and Malekith.

I've only noticed six out of the nine realms.

Has anyone seen Alfheim, Hel and Nidavellir?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"