The Official Batman Forever Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatmanRules33

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm not sure what everyones final opinion on Forever is, but i would like to know. so far, ive been hearing mixed reviews, some hate it, some love it, and some are luke warm about it. my question for this thread is: Is batman forever a "decent" batman movie, even if its close to being the disaster B&R was? for me, im lukewarm about it, i felt that kilmer, even though not the best bruce wayne/Batman, did try to be a good batman, but under the direction of schumacher, he wound up not being the best Bman he could be. clooney however.....dont get me started, horrible. but kilmer i felt was a bit better. plus, i felt like forever still had a darkness to it (though a heck of a lot more colorful then burtons), and infinitly more darker then horrible B&R, so anyways im just curious what you all think of Forever, your 'final' opinons??

Decent may just be the word. It's not bad... but it definitely isn't good either.

I wrote an opinion piece about it for Batman-On-Film.com:

Click here to read it ;)

:batman:

Batman Forever was decent cos Tim Burton helped Schumacher when Schumacher did B&R without Burton it fallan into pieces.

All in all a decent film. Although what annoys me is the nipples on the bat-suit and the "i'll get drive through". I belive Kilmer did a great job though. Was'nt faithful to the comics..which drags it down a great deal.

It's a mediocre movie.

I think it looks better in the Theatres than on dvd or video in the stunts department.

If you're a big Two Face fan though you may hate it.

Two Face said:
Batman Forever was decent cos Tim Burton helped Schumacher when Schumacher did B&R without Burton it fallan into pieces.

Burton did NOT help Schumacher. He was made an "honorary" executive producer. As was a tip to the cap when they used Dr. Burton in Arkham. Tim Burton himself admitted to not even being on set at any time nor having any imput what so ever. All he got was a simple phone call from Schumacher asking him what he thought about him directing Batman 3. Burton gave his blessing. Thats where it ended.

1st of all i want to tell you that Batman Forever is my favourite movie! and in my opinion i think Bf is: Excellent, Wonderful, Decent, Super-Puper, Great, Dark movie!!!!:)
batman296uf.jpg

None of you disliked Two Face? Two Face in BF was everything that Two Face in the comics wasn't. Two Face lives and dies by his coin...in BF he goes against what the coin says and [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]flips it again[/font]...WTF!?!?

Plus The Riddler's riddles were TOO DAMN EASY.

For that BF sucks as a Batman film AND is an atrocious attempt at a theatrical film.

Dark Movie? Two face jumping around like Jack Nicholson's Joker with a goofy smile on his face. I think Jones and Schumacher did zero character study in the two-face character. It was the most unfaithful potrayal of any of the villians in the movies.

bones1971 said:
Dark Movie? Two face jumping around like Jack Nicholson's Joker with a goofy smile on his face. I think Jones and Schumacher did zero character study in the two-face character. It was the most unfaithful potrayal of any of the villians in the movies.

What I find hysterical is that Schumacher "claims" to this day, that he is a huge fan of the comics...LoL.

I wonder how excellent the 2 Bat films would have been if he had never read a comic in his life?

The Guard said:
Right. I'm sure you figured them out right away.

Some of them I did...but I was speaking about in the movie. They were way too easiliy figured out by Batman. The riddles are usually truely thought provoking, complicated, perplexing riddles that the police cannot solve. In BF, Batman solves each riddle in a matter of minutes of recieving them.

Understand now smartass? [font=Comic Sans MS, verdana, arial] [/font]

actually, it showed what a keen mind Wayne had. I enjoy Batman Forvevr, and I hope the directors cut gets released

What good is the character of THE RIDDLER when his riddles are solved within minutes? Tell me that.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica] The Riddler's riddles should take a while to figure out...they should be bizarre, trapezoidal verbal conundrums...lateral thinking puzzles that defy rational thought, then make perfect sense once solved. In the movie, this was certainly not the case. Edward Nigma is a genius who is obsessed with riddles...why then, couldn't he think up any good ones?[/font]

The "numbers on my face" one and the one about the match are actually riddles that I knew as a kid (6-7 years old?)

The others are not much harder to figure out, if you take a minute. It shows Bruce has a keen mind. The keen mind of a primary schooler.

The TRUE riddle is how that BULLS#!t explanation towards the Riddler's identity ever made it into the movie...

"each riddle has a number. 12, 1, 8, 5. Letters of the alphabet? M A H E? what if 1 and 8 are 18? M R E. Mister E. Mystery! Enigma! Mister E Nigma! Edward Nigma!"

That is both so easy and so illogical.

It has enormous flaws, and is in no way a great movie, but Forever is my favorite non-animated Batman film.:up:

bones1971 said:

That's not true at all. It's been reported that Tommy Lee Jones knew about Two-Face and wanted to do an accurate comic depiction of him; however, Joel wanted him to act like he did in the movie and that's what ultimately led to them not getting along on the set.

It's also reported that Val and Joel didn't get along either. Both Val and Tommy wanted a darker Batman film, but it was obviously too late once the filming started.

It's left a real bitter taste in Val's mouth; because still he refuses to talk about BF in interviews or articles. Tommy never seems to mention it either, but I'd love to hear his opinion on the upcoming BB.

Chomp said:
What I find hysterical is that Schumacher "claims" to this day, that he is a huge fan of the comics...LoL.

I wonder how excellent the 2 Bat films would have been if he had never read a comic in his life?

just because batman forever wasn't burton material, doesn't mean he isn't a fan of the comics

its just the way he chose to do the film that bothers you, and i think he tried to please people who remember the 60's tv series, fans of the animated series and burton batman films fans.... and maybe it just doesn't mix well

burton didn't do the penguins charactor right in br, but you can't accuse him of not reading a comic

Tommy Lee Jones is great actor and I like all his films, Jones would have made darker Two-Face if he didn't been told by Schumacher to play Two-Face like Nicholson's Joker. Val Kilmer did try to be dark and serious at times as Bruce Wayne and in a Batsuit, Kilmer had nice voice as Batman unlike George Clooney.

Kilmer, Clooney, Thurman, Carrry, Jones, and possibly Schwarzenegger and O'Donnell all could have done been fantastic in their respective roles, if they had been given proper direction and better scripts. Some of them did do good jobs, IMO, they just weren't really anything like their comic book counterparts.

For my money they have never, and probably will never create a faithful to the comic movie. Sometimes you get a glimpse though. The part in BF when Kilmer took on Two Face's goons was the closest for me. Batman swinging in to meet with Gordon and Chase. The look on Kilmer's face when he survived being flamed by using his cape. Glimpses. But never the entire movie.

P.S. Two-Face was awful. I don't know if he was like that in the script. The performance for me really had more in common with Cesar Romero's Joker than Two-Face from the comics.

GuestStar2004 said:
just because batman forever wasn't burton material, doesn't mean he isn't a fan of the comics

This thread isn't about either of the Burton films...its about Batman Forever. No where in any of my posts did I compare Burton and Schumacher.

GuestStar2004 said:
its just the way he chose to do the film that bothers you, and i think he tried to please people who remember the 60's tv series, fans of the animated series and burton batman films fans.... and maybe it just doesn't mix well

No, I said what I dislike about the film...Batman Forever wasn't a take off of the 60's TV Series...it was a continuation of the last 2 Batman films. The setting and cinematography I could care less about...What I hated was the way the two villains of Two Face and The Riddler were played out as. They both were worthless, laughable villains. In the comics, Two Face and The Riddler are two of Batman's greatest pathological, sadistic villains.

GuestStar2004 said:
burton didn't do the penguins charactor right in br, but you can't accuse him of not reading a comic

Burton didn't read the comics.

Again, Burton's films have its flaws, but this thread is not about them. This thread is about whether or not Batman Forever was a decent Batman film. And in my opinion, I feel it wasn't.

I am willing to admit that BF is a decent bat-film....I still don't think it was good (too sci-fi) But I still enjoy some of it....Kilmer was good.

Chomp said:
This thread isn't about either of the Burton films...its about Batman Forever. No where in any of my posts did I compare Burton and Schumacher.

No, I said what I dislike about the film...Batman Forever wasn't a take off of the 60's TV Series...it was a continuation of the last 2 Batman films. The setting and cinematography I could care less about...What I hated was the way the two villains of Two Face and The Riddler were played out as. They both were worthless, laughable villains. In the comics, Two Face and The Riddler are two of Batman's greatest pathological, sadistic villains.

Again, Burton's films have its flaws, but this thread is not about them. This thread is about whether or not Batman Forever was a decent Batman film. And in my opinion, I feel it wasn't.

you said you doubt he read a comic in his life, and i just felt i should say something to that..

and i know forever was not a take of the 60s version, but there were some mild hints as such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"