First Avenger The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

I just found the first (to my knowledge) German review (it won't open until the 18th over here). Overall positive, praises the tone, Evan's performance and the effective CGI, mentions the 'Indiana Jones' vibes. Then there's mention that German marketing in the trailers calls it "the first superhero" (Der erste Superheld) instead of "the first avenger" (Der erste Rächer), which is bound to lead to confusion.

Source: http://www.filmtogo.net/2011/08/07/filmkritik-zu-captain-america-the-first-avenger/

Annnnd it mentions that Germany gets the Avengers on April 26th. :D

http://www.yellmagazine.com/captain-america-the-first-avenger-review/16675/

Cool review.

In early scenes, before getting his Captain America physique, Evans seems to be channeling such all-American performances as Gary Cooper in Sergeant York.

It’s the superb war-time era atmosphere that puts the movie over the top. Similar to Raiders Of The Lost Ark in tone and palette, First Avenger feels like one of the classic black and white movie serials of the era it’s paying homage to while still retaining the current-day special effects expected from a summer blockbuster. Kudos to Joe Johnson for bringing to life Cap’s WW2 adventures without sacrificing a lot of the gee-whiz, sci-fi trappings that made them so much fun in the first place.

I still rank X-Men: First Class as the best comic book movie of the summer, but Captain America: The First Avenger isn’t far behind. Less serious, more adventure than action movie in tone and with a star-making, or perhaps star-redefining, performance from Chris Evans, Captain America is one of the best movies of the summer and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Don't agree about Hayley Atwell as Cap’s strictly platonic love interest but the Gary Cooper as Sgt. York comparisons are one I hadn't thought of before.

Hi guys..Finally managed to see this today here in sweden. Personally I really really liked the movie. I didnt really expect it to like it this much but thank you marvel for this very very nice movie. That scene between carter and cap before the crash was just perfectly executed imho.. very emotional :)

If Captain America gets 3 more positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it would have a fresh bump to 80% :wow:

Update:

I know no one cares at this point, but ROTTEN TOMATOES just turned 1 "fresh" reviews into "rotten".

Sep 01, 2011:
CAFTA had 202 reviews with 160 positive and 42 negative for 79%

Sep 02, 2011:
CAFTA now had 203 reviews with 159 positive and 44 negative for 78%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

Nice going RT.

:awesome:

Update:

I know no one cares at this point, but just turned 1 "fresh" reviews into "rotten".

Sep 01, 2011:
had 202 reviews with 160 positive and 42 negative for 79%

Sep 02, 2011:
CAFTA now had 203 reviews with 159 positive and 44 negative for 78%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-/

Nice going RT.

:awesome:

This is what happens when film companies own review websites right after a massive financial bomb. :dry:

Watching Incredible Hulk on FX right now. I liked Captain America but I'm sorry, Blonsky did a better Cap than Cap. Or at least they showed the super soldier serum better. He seemed......super.

We've eclipsed 70%, and I don't see it going down. I only see it going up :cap:

I totally agree with your review of Captain America! It is an excellent movie adaption of a classic comic book super hero icon. I haven't had the chance to see Thor yet, but thought Captain America was better than Iron Man (which was also very good) My wife and I enjoyed the retro feel to the movie and we both thought her dad would like a movie like this, and he is not known for caring much about super hero movies. My father in law is more of a western movie kind of buff. Anyway, enjoyed the acting, the plot, the evil Red Skull, and of course the main man himself, Cap! Also thought that Tommy Lee's character was a great comic foil in the developing story when Steve Rogers is at the military training grounds earlier in the film.

..I got to see it again, and was able to appreciate more of it this time around.. first time was at a drive-in, and it was the second feature, and fatigue had set in by mid-film..
ah.. Lots of good stuff to enjoy.. I saw Phineas Horton's name above the "artificial man" exhibit..
hm, so the Skull was having a portrait painted.. heh..
..by film's end, the Skull sees cosmic wonders before being "disintegrated" by the cube.. so, I wonder is he "inside" it now? hmm..
..I wonder what happened to Zola, since he was captured by film's end..
..I wonder what happened to a lot of the Hydra-tech, now that the cube was captured by the Allies.. and just what did the Allies end up doing with the cube? mothball it like the Ark?

..I wonder if Howard stark would appear in flashback scenes in the next film..

Watching Incredible Hulk on FX right now. I liked Captain America but I'm sorry, Blonsky did a better Cap than Cap. Or at least they showed the super soldier serum better. He seemed......super.
Perhaps it was because blonsky was a power hungry, cocky, highly trained soldier already. Maybe cap will be more acrobatic in the avengers. In his film his suit was fairly bulky too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"