Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 2

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Thread Manager, Apr 14, 2014.

1. spiderral

spiderral Registered

I FINALLY got round to watching Cap 2 last night and wow, I was so impressed. I think this film definitely tops The Avengers and other Marvel films (definitely surpassing the recent IM3 and Thor 2). Thrilling plot and action throughout. Cap was a very strong character and I thought Black Widow was at her best in this movie.
    I really enjoyed the score whenever the Winter Soldier was on-screen, his piece was very scary chilling and he had a great, "evil" presence about him.

I think I'd rate this 8.5/10 or maybe a solid 8/10 (I'm yet to decide). My previous score for The Avengers was 8/10 but after seeing TWS, it drops down to 7.5 as TWS is definitely a more exciting and stronger film.

Now to watch GOTG and I will have caught up with the latest Marvel films!

2. Sian

Sian Registered

The movie actually improved on the comics by having Cap be a skinny guy with the heart of a lion and Bucky his best friend. It makes Steve's transition from frail man to superman and Bucky's tragic disintegration to Hydra puppet all the more powerful.

To be honest I wasn't keen on any of Miller's Ultimate work. The plotlines were terrific but he made the characters - especially Black Widow and the X Men - completely unlikeable. The only thing he did I liked was turning Nick Fury into Sam Jackson.

The Ultimates also dropped the ball with what they did with Bucky - we never did get Ultimate Winter Soldier.

3. James Bender

James Bender Registered

I watched this movie. Chris Evans as Captain America was great! He was perfect marvel Hero. Fantastic stunts and actions by him. Great work by camera man and by director too. No surprise to me for watch this movie again.:yay:

4. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

If I could vote, Id give this a 9. It was just as good, if not better than The Avengers, which shocked me as I wanst a fan of the original. It had the perfect balance of action and characterization. Chris Evans did amazing

5. BatmanVSuperman

BatmanVSuperman Gothopolis

I would give it a 6.5 cause it had a few good moments and the end battle was good. I was expecting a better pacing based on the rottentomatoes reviews though. Oh well.

6. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

I'd say your rating probably has more to do with you being a DC fan and preferring their stuff over Marvel's. Just hard to take your review seriously or honestly with your username.

7. BatmanVSuperman

BatmanVSuperman Gothopolis

Oh we absolutely have our biases. The thing is, I really dug the first Captain America film. I expected to like the sequel much more, especially from the reviews online.

8. Killer

Killer Registered

I´d say a solid 7/10. Better than the first one.

9. TalismanRing

TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

I adore the first Captain America but think TWS is by far the better paced film. The first half is the strongest while the 2nd half of TFA especially the end scenes are a bit rushed.

10. WingedAvenger89

WingedAvenger89 Registered

New here. Outstanding post. Gave me a greater appreciation for the film in retrospect.

I noticed you didn't mention TDKR in the comic book movie social commentary tier. I thought it commented more than Batman Begins ... but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also, care to explain the thematic meaning of Winter Soldier v.s. a Summer Soldier? Thanks.

11. TalismanRing

TalismanRing Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Cutting and pasting from another topic
    http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=476527

Interesting article [What's in a Name? Captain America: The Winter Soldier] written political analyst William Bradley. Or maybe I think so because it mirrored my thoughts when hearing so many people question the title, from the use of the colon instead of an ampersand to how the "Winter Soldier" isn't enough in the film to warrant being in the title.

The title though works on two levels. Yes, the title refers to a nemesis of the piece but as a concept it far more fittingly describes Steve Rogers, especially in this film with the choices he makes. He is the ultimate winter soldier.

As Bradley sums up:

The two quotes which were the origin of the term and from which Brubaker drew inspiration.

The Russos also point this point in their Director's commentary, that the title refers as much or more to Steve than Bucky.

12. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

Enlightening. I knew the WS title had a historical basis but hadn't seen it. Fitting too. Looks like I have to watch this again (oh no! rite?) with that in mind.

13. Tymminator

Tymminator The Main Man in Minnesota

I'm always happy to have an an excuse to watch this movie. :cwink:

My fave comic movie of 2014.:word:

14. Sian

Sian Registered

DoFP isn't a patch on WS.

Regarding Cap 3 being based on Civil War, I wonder if the conflict between Steve and Tony will be when Tony finds out Bucky might be responsible for his parents' death?

15. XtremelyBaneful

[​IMG]

I just had to post this

16. Shinobi

Shinobi Registered

6.5/10. Better than the first, but not good enough for my tastes. Failed to impress me on every level.

IMHO TDKR had, not only more, but better social commentary than TWS. Actually, all recent Batman movies have, i think. I think they dig deeper in that aspect.

#316 Shinobi, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  17. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

Watched it again, as I like to give most films about a year for a rewatch after all the hype and hubbub has died down so i can give it as accurate and fair a score as i possibly can. Going in I've never been a disney marvel guy, I have my fair share of problems with the overall tonal and narrative direction of the entire mcu franchise, I also have severe problems with the first cap film...however I am a huge huge fan of Brubaker's run on cap (and Brubaker's works in general) I enjoyed the film a lot on the first viewing but it took a good rewatch or two to really make me realise how this film is heads and shoulders above others of it's kin. It takes a special film to change peoples perceptions of a decades old character, and considering I see far more people actually favouring Cap nowadays than i did back in 2012 citing TWS as the reason, it certainly displays how well the film does it's job.

Point is, I just wanted to come on here and state that The Winter Soldier has now (after 11 years) overtaken Spider-Man 2 as my favourite film that is based on a Marvel property.

18. Ryu_do_Sen

Ryu_do_Sen Registered

To me, the end battle was the worst part of the movie. No dramatic tension. No will he stop/save his friend or save his friend moments. Just a few moments of Cap easily taking down the WS and then cap rushing to enter the codes whilst WS just stood idly by.

19. iambranded

iambranded Registered

I couldnt agree more...this is my favorite among the Marvel movies..... the first Avengers being second....
    Age of Ultron seems like it will shatter all records but this movie....by far the best Marvel movie in my opinion

20. ctsketch

ctsketch Registered

Watched it again!!!!! Still in love

21. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Registered

The rewatchability is what puts the movie in the top tier of cbms. Each set piece is memorable and interesting. Fury's street battle is my current fave.

22. allthingsuper

allthingsuper Registered

This is the best MCU film and up there with DoFP as my favorite superhero film. Spider-Man 2 (the Raimi one obviously) is my second favorite.

23. sergeantbucky

sergeantbucky Howling Commando

TWS is my favorite Marvel movie, and is up with IM1 in terms of the best MCU outings to date. It changed the Marvel movie game in terms of depth and quality, and made me love Steve and Natasha, characters who had taken a backseat in previous films. In fact, TWS made me reevaluate TFA, a movie I had, on first watch, thought was a total bore. Since TWS was released, TWS and TFA have become my most rewatched Marvel movies. 10/10

24. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

As I said in at the last watched thread, first time I've watched it since the cinema and ai honestly forgot how brilliant this film is. It's definitely the Marvel masterpiece, up there alongside the best in this genre. A clear 9/10 for me.

25. NotSoLongAgo

NotSoLongAgo #spidermansolit

I love this movie! 9.9/10 for me.