The Winter Soldier Captain America: The Winter Soldier - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 2

I think captain america the winter soldier was spectacular! they used a well known story (winter soldier) and then proceeded to adding there own original twist which in my opinion was brilliant and it was fitted really well into the series and didnt feel out of place! I give this movie a 9/10

I just watched this for the first time and I found it brilliant!

Loved all the characters and action and story and suspense. I liked the villains.

HYDRA having compromised S.H.I.E.L.D really scared me. It was scary. I had no idea that HYDRA would become such a threat. I loved all the characters from the past as well.

For me, Marvel Phase 2 is on a roll. First, IM3 and now this. This is so heavenly.

Re-watched it a couple of days ago.. I just had to! It was not in 3D this time, though, but I just had to!

Still awesome.. TWS and Iron Man 3 are my favorite MCU movies so far. Still need to see Guardians of the Galaxy.

Good stuff:

- The story - it was genuinely scary when you think about it.. There were enough twists and turns to make it interesting.
- The characters - still interesting.
- Action is awesome and works perfectly
- Easter eggs were so good and blended perfectly.
- Adaptation of Batroc the Leaper - I like a lot of "lesser" comic book villains, some of those are the ones people consider "too corny/challenging to adapt". They should do this kind of stuff more often.
- It has that 90's vibe, a not so serious, very entertaining movie that tackles very serious and dark themes, which I love. Makes it infinitely re-watchable.

Bad stuff:

- Ummmm... It might be a ten or so minutes shorter...

As a MCU movie 10/10, as a movie in general 9.5/10.

I rewatched it today and Im still in awe of how amazing the fight sequences are:

[YT]abPblY2wHPU[/YT]

[YT]Swchnx7GPVk[/YT]

[YT]az2JuP7asFk[/YT]

Also part of the reason they're so good is because they have so much weight in the story, it never feels like its just mindless action.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I still say TWS is best MCU film this year and maybe in general, and I loooove loooved loooved Guardians, it's been a great year for the MCU but this film....this film is fan freaking tastic.

The Winter Soldier was so dangerous, it was really apparent the way how Black Widow was so tensed whenever he arrived.

Do you think tony up starting his own version of shield in AoU is marvel's way of developing him more as over controlling to set up for a civil war like movie? As odd as that arc was cap vs iron man (agenda wise, not fight wise) is something I'd still like to see.

Watched this again last night...god this movie is so. Freaking. Awesome. The scene in NJ being one of my favorites. The music, atmosphere, and younger Steve coming "eye-to-eye" with current day Stever. Dat chill in my spine. CANNOT wait to own this.

Where/when got a cameo Stephen McFeely and Chris Marcus in the movie?

Where/when got a cameo Stephen McFeely and Chris Marcus in the movie?

When Pierce and Steve meet, he shows him a video of Batroc in captivity. Two SHIELD agents are interrogating him, played by Marcus and McFeely.

Do you think tony up starting his own version of shield in AoU is marvel's way of developing him more as over controlling to set up for a civil war like movie? As odd as that arc was cap vs iron man (agenda wise, not fight wise) is something I'd still like to see.

I think the main pull of Civil War was to see decades long friends on opposite sides. They haven't earned that kind of friendship in the MCU yet.

Also, Tony is going to wind up with Ultron backfiring on him and I don't see that leading into him becoming control and power hungry. In the comics the Civil War basically turned him into a villain and I can't see them doing that to their now flagship character.

In the comics it was a long convoluted messy road to redemption for Tony though they've started turning him into a megalomaniac. (the same way they're repeating making someone else Captain America. Yawn)

I can see Tony and Rogers coming to loggerheads again in Age of Ultron. I can't see Steve being happy with the whole Ultron concept.

Ever since I bought this on Digital HD on Tuesday, I can't stop watching it, this movie was so well done and immensely re-watchable.

X-Men didn't win the last one so I figure they'll keep trying until it does.

And now that I see who started the thread I'm doubly sure of it.

Well, a do-over is in the DOFP spirit. It's the next best thing to erasing/altering the time line. :woot:

It is is fair though that GOTG gets a chance but alas Snowpiercer is AWOL.

Just got done watching TWS again and it still holds up as one of my favorite MCU movies.

Just finished my second viewing of The Winter Soldier. Didn't write a review last time, so here it goes.

In my opinion, this movie is two things:
1) The best Marvel film, MCU or not. ASM2 may have had the most emotional impact on me, but this impressed me with the best story.
2) In the same ballpark as BB and TDK when it comes to social commentary. In some ways, it's a spiritual sequel to TDK. TDK showcased the world's initial gut reaction to terrorism, this shows the drastic measures the world took to prevent it.

Cap often gets a bad rep due to the name, especially pre-MCU. If you're one of "those people" who assume he's just a blind propaganda caricature, watch this movie. This whole film is essentially the Russo's saying "Look, this is what Captain America is all about." Numerous times, the film shows Cap doesn't stand for any specific government but for the people and more specifically, for freedom. "I thought you were more than just a shield." "Let's see". It makes sense literally but from a thematic level, what he's REALLY saying is "I thought you were more than just a government dog." To which Cap replies with "Let's see". It's almost as if there's a subliminal message there from the Russo's right at the beginning of the film. "Think Cap stands for blind patriotism? Nope, watch and see." An answered question with a message reinforced at the end when Widow says "and you're not a SHIELD agent."

Cap's devotion to freedom and the people isn't just exemplified relative to supervillains and HYDRA, but to his own allies. He's the one who calls the shots on SHIELD going down as a whole, which ties into his character arc. Steve is at a point in life where he's unsure who the enemy is, who and what to fight for due to how different the world's become. Everything's become extremely grey-shaded compared to WWII where you had the good guy Allies and big bad Nazis. Multiple people throughout the film tell him he has to start over and build a better world, from Fury to Pierce to Natasha and even Peggy. And by the end, he takes their advice and disassembles SHIELD. Builds a better world by tearing the old one down. Speaking of SHIELD, the organization going down is a huge payoff to the overall MCU, which has portrayed it as nothing but corrupt and authoritarian from the beginning. It's also nice to see Feige and Co. not afraid to change the status quo of their universe, something the comics often can't afford to do.

When I said this was in the same ballpark as BB/TDK, I wasn't joking. The script manages to add multiple deeper meanings to simple lines of dialogue in a way only a Chris Nolan film would, something no other Marvel script has replicated to this extent. I already listed the shield dialogue exchange earlier, so I'll bring up another one: Steve watching Peggy's history video. The obvious clear-as-day message is that the world's moved on and Steve's been left behind. Anyone can figure that out. But what really adds salt to the wound is when Peggy says "Steve saved a lot of people that night in '43...including the man who would later be my husband." Those last few words signify how much Steve has lost more than anything else in the film. And all it took was a quick note from Peggy which, in the context of the history video they're watching, was completely superfluous.

Marvel often gets crap from the way they treat their villains, Loki being considered the big exception. I do think that's true, but I'm surprised at how many people never bring up their take on Modern Day HYDRA. I thought everything done with HYDRA in present day was absolutely brilliant. They really come off as an intimidating intelligent threat. They're always 5 steps ahead of everyone, have infiltrated the system through a well thought-out patient calculated plan, and still have no worries by the end due to numerous potential backup plans. This is everything the Ten Rings SHOULD have been, which Marvel blew their chance with. Every single HYDRA member is done justice from Pierce to Winter Soldier to Zola to Crossbones to the Clairvoyant (in AoS). Pierce is up there as second best MCU villain after Loki. It excites me to see what the Russo's do with Strucker, Zemo and a revamped Red Skull.

On top of commentary on the invasion of privacy and freedom, the film also offers commentary on the very nature of superheroes. To put it simple, superheroes are anti-authority by their nature. They're the ultimate fantasy people envision to whenever society - and specifically people in power - screw up. They constantly question societal/political decisions and do their best to fight for their values, even when everyone else gives up. It's no coincidence superheroes are at peak popularity whenever the world is in some crisis. That's when people fantasize about these characters the most, and it's impressive how this film can make Cap relevant in that regard despite the misconceptions that come with the name/values. DC should take notes regarding Superman. Thomas Paine once distinguished a "summer soldier" from a "winter soldier", the former being a soldier who fights for a cause whenever it's easy to and the latter being a soldier who will fight for a cause no matter what. There's no doubt in my mind the subtitle was meant to apply to Rogers as much as to Bucky.

I think the next step to go after this is have Cap become the official leader of the Avengers, especially now that he's lost a place he thought was home in SHIELD. The Avengers have always been Cap's new home in the comics since his revival, just as much as Planet Express was Philip J. Fry's new home. That's why Cap isn't just an Avenger, but THE Avenger.

So...yeah. Good movie.

Just finished my second viewing of The Winter Soldier. Didn't write a review last time, so here it goes.

In my opinion, this movie is two things:
1) The best Marvel film, MCU or not. ASM2 may have had the most emotional impact on me, but this impressed me with the best story.
2) In the same ballpark as BB and TDK when it comes to social commentary. In some ways, it's a spiritual sequel to TDK. TDK showcased the world's initial gut reaction to terrorism, this shows the drastic measures the world took to prevent it.

Cap often gets a bad rep due to the name, especially pre-MCU. If you're one of "those people" who assume he's just a blind propaganda caricature, watch this movie. This whole film is essentially the Russo's saying "Look, this is what Captain America is all about." Numerous times, the film shows Cap doesn't stand for any specific government but for the people and more specifically, for freedom. "I thought you were more than just a shield." "Let's see". It makes sense literally but from a thematic level, what he's REALLY saying is "I thought you were more than just a government dog." To which Cap replies with "Let's see". It's almost as if there's a subliminal message there from the Russo's right at the beginning of the film. "Think Cap stands for blind patriotism? Nope, watch and see." An answered question with a message reinforced at the end when Widow says "and you're not a SHIELD agent."

Cap's devotion to freedom and the people isn't just exemplified relative to supervillains and HYDRA, but to his own allies. He's the one who calls the shots on SHIELD going down as a whole, which ties into his character arc. Steve is at a point in life where he's unsure who the enemy is, who and what to fight for due to how different the world's become. Everything's become extremely grey-shaded compared to WWII where you had the good guy Allies and big bad Nazis. Multiple people throughout the film tell him he has to start over and build a better world, from Fury to Pierce to Natasha and even Peggy. And by the end, he takes their advice and disassembles SHIELD. Builds a better world by tearing the old one down. Speaking of SHIELD, the organization going down is a huge payoff to the overall MCU, which has portrayed it as nothing but corrupt and authoritarian from the beginning. It's also nice to see Feige and Co. not afraid to change the status quo of their universe, something the comics often can't afford to do.

When I said this was in the same ballpark as BB/TDK, I wasn't joking. The script manages to add multiple deeper meanings to simple lines of dialogue in a way only a Chris Nolan film would, something no other Marvel script has replicated to this extent. I already listed the shield dialogue exchange earlier, so I'll bring up another one: Steve watching Peggy's history video. The obvious clear-as-day message is that the world's moved on and Steve's been left behind. Anyone can figure that out. But what really adds salt to the wound is when Peggy says "Steve saved a lot of people that night in '43...including the man who would later be my husband." Those last few words signify how much Steve has lost more than anything else in the film. And all it took was a quick note from Peggy which, in the context of the history video they're watching, was completely superfluous.

Marvel often gets crap from the way they treat their villains, Loki being considered the big exception. I do think that's true, but I'm surprised at how many people never bring up their take on Modern Day HYDRA. I thought everything done with HYDRA in present day was absolutely brilliant. They really come off as an intimidating intelligent threat. They're always 5 steps ahead of everyone, have infiltrated the system through a well thought-out patient calculated plan, and still have no worries by the end due to numerous potential backup plans. This is everything the Ten Rings SHOULD have been, which Marvel blew their chance with. Every single HYDRA member is done justice from Pierce to Winter Soldier to Zola to Crossbones to the Clairvoyant (in AoS). Pierce is up there as second best MCU villain after Loki. It excites me to see what the Russo's do with Strucker, Zemo and a revamped Red Skull.

On top of commentary on the invasion of privacy and freedom, the film also offers commentary on the very nature of superheroes. To put it simple, superheroes are anti-authority by their nature. They're the ultimate fantasy people envision to whenever society - and specifically people in power - screw up. They constantly question societal/political decisions and do their best to fight for their values, even when everyone else gives up. It's no coincidence superheroes are at peak popularity whenever the world is in some crisis. That's when people fantasize about these characters the most, and it's impressive how this film can make Cap relevant in that regard despite the misconceptions that come with the name/values. DC should take notes regarding Superman. Thomas Paine once distinguished a "summer soldier" from a "winter soldier", the former being a soldier who fights for a cause whenever it's easy to and the latter being a soldier who will fight for a cause no matter what. There's no doubt in my mind the subtitle was meant to apply to Rogers as much as to Bucky.

I think the next step to go after this is have Cap become the official leader of the Avengers, especially now that he's lost a place he thought was home in SHIELD. The Avengers have always been Cap's new home in the comics since his revival, just as much as Planet Express was Philip J. Fry's new home. That's why Cap isn't just an Avenger, but THE Avenger.

So...yeah. Good movie.
lRlTqgt.gif

As fun as GOTG turned out, it can't even compete with this film. Captain America: The Winter Soldier isn't just the best adaptation film of the year, it's the best movie regardless of genre so far through September.

I've had a super busy year getting married being on tour etc. I watched CA2 for the first time last night and I am totally blown away. Now I have only seen it once but upon my first viewing I think this might be the best MCU film so far. I mean in a lot of ways better than The Avengers. It was so well made, acted and the story was terrific. Cannot wait to see how this plays into SHIELD, Age of Ultron and what will happen on Cap 3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"