• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First Avenger The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is the general public will read this as another Green Lantern film to put on their DVD rental list and pass on it. :csad:

If WB was going to slant RT dont you think they would have tried a little damage control on Green Lantern?

I'm a bit worried. I hope we get some good Top critic reviews.

Ultimately, it's the publications people know that they trust...not random bloggers.

A comic book movie has to appeal beyond the "geek" crowd in order to crossover and be successful. Captain America comics sell 50k-100k copies a month. If only people who bought his comic saw this movie, they'd have to see it something like 400 times just to ensure this gets a sequel.

So before you dismiss the opinions of "non-fans" or people who aren't familiar with the character, remember,the general public is going to make Cap sink and swim; not SHH posters and bloggers.

If WB was going to slant RT dont you think they would have tried a little damage control on Green Lantern?
They did, they stopped it a 199 reviews when comic book super hero movies usually end up with 230-240.

They did, they stopped it a 199 reviews when comic book super hero movies usually end up with 230-240.

Might be that the extra 30 or so usual critics decided not to waste their time and money.

I'm a bit worried. I hope we get some good Top critic reviews.

Ultimately, it's the publications people know that they trust...not random bloggers.

A comic book movie has to appeal beyond the "geek" crowd in order to crossover and be successful. Captain America comics sell 50k-100k copies a month. If only people who bought his comic saw this movie, they'd have to see it something like 400 times just to ensure this gets a sequel.

So before you dismiss the opinions of "non-fans" or people who aren't familiar with the character, remember,the general public is going to make Cap sink and swim; not SHH posters and bloggers.

I agree with this as well. At the end of the day, I can't get terribly angry about fairly written reviews for the movie, good or bad. I can get sad if the movie I desperately want to see doesn't get higher positive rating on RT.

But yeah... to get to the non-comic book going crowd, it has to crossover to the non-comic book readers. And maybe it can't. They gave it a shot...

I'll just go and hopefully enjoy it regardless.

Think of it this way, you can predict a presidentail election through a survey of a few thousand voters.

The score from 190 reviews would not be any different than 230.

And if they were going to go through the trouble of doing it, why wouldn't they do it to its benefit. GL was slammed.

Also before you start freaking out over WB owning Rotten Tomatoes, rememeber that from 2004 until last year, it was owned by Fox. Didn't seem to help fox releases any.

Why do so many people care about RT ??

If the movie is good and makes money its cool. Critics are often out of touch and have the same irrational preferences and proclivities in their movies as everyone else.

Blog reviews and reviews from the public seem to be way more positive for this than they were for Thor.

I mean we see all these great reviews pouring in, then there are only like three negatives, all that show up on RT and then it's, "oh man critics are ripping these movie to pieces! Another Green Lantern over here!"

Pretty sick of the overreaction on this forum, I swear it's like a South Park episode sometimes. And the Cap boards were doing so well for a while.

If the movie is good and makes money its cool. Critics are often out of touch and have the same irrational preferences and proclivities in their movies as everyone else.

If this gets overly bad reviews it could very easily bomb, not that well reviewed movies always make a ton of money, but its a movie with competition. The people on this board will see it regardless, but we would like to see this movie be successful, and if we end up liking it ourselves, use that success to allow for some possibly good sequels. (I get tired of sequels but if the creative team is good and there is a story to tell, why not?)

Most of the reviews, particularly the Hollywood Reporter review, praise Chris Evans' acting in this. I believe they went so far as to say he was "Gary Cooper"esque.

Seriously, that's some high praise right there :)

I mean we see all these great reviews pouring in, then there are only like three negatives, all that show up on RT and then it's, "oh man critics are ripping these movie to pieces! Another Green Lantern over here!"

Pretty sick of the overreaction on this forum, I swear it's like a South Park episode sometimes. And the Cap boards were doing so well for a while.

There are plenty of reviews not posted yet on RT from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Rolling Stone, and the like that are NOT good. So the reaction is not based on just four reviews. It is the trend of what is being seen in the field. Yes, it's early. But the general public reacted to critical review of Lantern because he was not a familiar face outside of cartoons. Subsequently alot of people passed. Many justifiably feel Cap could suffer the same fate if critics are equally as dissatisfied with this picture. What your seeing is that concern as people start looking for a glimmer of hope that this film will be received differently. Right now, the trend is not positive. We all hope that will change soon.

Reviews (of which RT is a great aggregator) combined with trailers, TV spots & other marketing/general hype play too important a part in making up the mind of the regular audience as to whether they are interested in seeing the film & therefore whether the film will be a success & get a sequel. On top of that my personal view & experience is that the RT average rating after 150 or so reviews is a good indicator of quality.

There are plenty of reviews not posted yet on RT from Variety, Hollywood Reporter, Rolling Stone, and the like that are NOT good. So the reaction is not based on just four reviews. It is the trend of what is being seen in the field. Yes, it's early. But the general public reacted to critical review of Lantern because he was not a familiar face outside of cartoons. Subsequently alot of people passed. Many justifiably feel Cap could suffer the same fate if critics are equally as dissatisfied with this picture. What your seeing is that concern as people start looking for a glimmer of hope that this film will be received differently. Right now, the trend is not positive. We all hope that will change soon.

Rolling Stone gave this a bad review?:doh:

Rotten Tomatoe's upcoming 6th review of Capt. America has been determined as rotten.

You could already see it on their page. Hasn't even posted yet, and it's already rotten.

If this gets overly bad reviews it could very easily bomb, not that well reviewed movies always make a ton of money, but its a movie with competition. The people on this board will see it regardless, but we would like to see this movie be successful, and if we end up liking it ourselves, use that success to allow for some possibly good sequels. (I get tired of sequels but if the creative team is good and there is a story to tell, why not?)

Personnaly, I don't care that much about what the critics think, and as you mentionned, critical acclaim doesn't always translate to commercial success, because critically panned movies can connect with the general audience and the other way around. But, being the first on a potential franchise, it would be helpful if the critics have a part in generating a good word of mouth.

Clearly, the thing you mention that is very relevant is that this movie has to connect with audience in order to have a sequel, and that, we'll only be able to see after it's been released. Because let's face it, it's money, and not well done movies, that drive the sequel train.

I don't see Rolling Stone's review... and if PT did give it a bad review, that's really too bad. I normally find him completely overrated in his praise and badmouthing a film these days...

*sigh* Ah well.

I think you guys give to much credit to RT and "reviews".

IMO its word of mouth that tanks a movie. I know that bad reviews don't help, but that wasn't what tanked Green Lantern. Regular people reviews are whats important, not critics. Sometimes they line up, sometimes they don't.

If Cap is a great movie and everyone who sees it tells people that then it will be fine. I'm just saying that critics are often the worst gauge ever about whether you will like a movie or not. They often feel the need to be overly elitist and snobby about them. Many just have a hard on for CBMs in general. I know a few people that think Cap is just a hokey, ridiculous movie without ever having seen it. I guess since Nolan didn't make it. Critics are often the same.

And there WERE a handful of negative reviews last night but the positives way out numbered them. If it were to stay at 40% after another 30 reviews get added, then I'll probably be disappointed. But we're no where near that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"