• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First Avenger The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Shockya's review:

http://www.shockya.com/news/2011/07/20/captain-america-the-first-avenger-movie-review/

Thank goodness for superheroes. How would we ever defeat the Nazis without them? The easiest way to have done this rather than allowing the American phase of World War II to drag on for 3-1/2 years would have been to enlist Captain Marvel. After all, Captain Marvel and his doppelganger Billy Batson were created in 1939 and could have gone to war just when Poland was invaded. Just a quick Shazam and the rest would have been history. Instead, we used Captain America, who was created seventy years ago in March 1941, in time to take resolute action during the war, but unfortunately not given the option of saying a magic word that would allow him to fly and to be invincible. Instead Captain America was just another guy, but a guy built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, able to leap from building to building and from one side of a collapsing bridge to another. Unlike Billy Batson, Captain America was in love—with a young, beautiful woman who speaks with the King’s English. He keeps her picture with him unbeknownst to her: who knows what could have happened had he not been motivated by a dancing date he set for one week ahead of what would be his greatest triumph!

Given that the target audience for “Captain America: The First Avenger,” may lack a sense of history, most would not realize that Joe Simon and Jack Kirby created the title figure not simply as a good read for comic-book, er, graphic novel fans during the forties but as a distinct kind of propaganda to drum up patriotism. More catchy than the generic photo of Uncle Sam’s pointing at us, convincing that he needs us, the comic served as a lightning rod to young Americans, encouraging them to sign up—though the long lines at recruiting booths on December 8, 1941 may not necessarily be entirely credited to Simon and Kirby.

The two-hour popcorn movie is loaded with explosions, with some almost mystical Alpine scenery (though it was filmed in London, Manchester, New York and a couple of British studios), but don’t expect much real history to seep through—nothing to make the young ‘uns in the audience realize that World War II was largely between the U.S. and Germany, not between the U.S. and The Soviet Union as most of my high-school students had thought.

There’s nothing here that stands out from similar creations—Iron Man, Thor, The Incredible Hulk—and Chris Evans will never be confused with Maurice Evans, though Stanley Tucci comes across with an outstanding performance as a German-American whose work on Chris Evans is amusing and believable. But under the direction of Joe Johnston, who, with “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids” on his resume must have been right at home watching the transformation of Steve Rogers into Captain America, the movie comes across well enough as an expensive work with lots of jobs for make-up artists and 300 extras. The biggest drawback is those infernal 3-D glasses, difficult to wear over your regular specs while they darken everything on the screen and are of no benefit whatever.

Story: B
Acting: B
Technical: B+
It's the total opposite of the VillageVoice's review where she was hoping it was more of a History Channel WW2 documentary.

Last edited:
There needs to be reform in the reviewing business. If a reviewer has a bias against a certain genre then they can't review said genre same way you can't have biased jurors. If I feel horror films suck I shouldnt review it.

Any reviewer worth their salt should be open to all genres really.

The only ones I really pay attention to are NYT and EW.

EW tend to be a lot kinder to films than many warrant IMO. That said, I'm far more interested in actual publications' reviews over endless bloggers I've never heard of.

Couple Youtube Reviews:

Dave Rabbit:
[YT]5u1cUUzsAeo[/YT]

The Schmoes:
[YT]Gno9vR-_Fhw[/YT]

Ah crap, the RT has begun on 40% - Screen International's review is negative. I think superhero fatigue is really hitting these critics.

Warner's RottenTomato right now is posting reviews in this order:

1st - rotten
2nd - fresh
3rd - rotten
4th - fresh
5th - rotten

And I love how they waited to "finish" posting the 5th review before the score popped up at.

Another Youtube Review. This one's mix:
[YT]zi1lW5lcKbc[/YT]

Warner's RottenTomato right now is posting reviews in this order:

1st - rotten
2nd - fresh
3rd - rotten
4th - fresh
5th - rotten

And I love how they waited to "finish" posting the 5th review before the score popped up at.
Let's not start with the conspiracy nonsense

Ah crap, the RT has begun on 40% - Screen International's review is negative. I think superhero fatigue is really hitting these critics.
But you can see the average rating is 8.5/10

Most of criticisms sound similar to those of The Rocketeer which shouldn't be too surprising. Good thing I liked The Rocketeer.

But you can see the average rating is 8.5/10

That's only because the negative reviews didn't give a number so they're not counted in the average rating. Which means the average rating means nothing until you have well over 50 reviews to even out the non-number graded ones.

EW tend to be a lot kinder to films than many warrant IMO. That said, I'm far more interested in actual publications' reviews over endless bloggers I've never heard of.

Really? I guess I've found I tend to agree with EW more than other TCs... maybe I'm a little kinder to some films than most critics LOL!

I guess I pay attention to blogger reviews, well, except for Harry Knowles, who, God bless him, loves everything in that Peter Traversian way. Twitter's exposed me to a bigger range of movie criticism, a lot of it snarky but well-written and constructed.

However, Cap is fairly critic proof for me. I'll go see it no matter what even my most anticipated reviews say. Given the feedback so far, I think I'll enjoy it. I just hope I enjoy it more than First Class....

Let's not start with the conspiracy nonsense
Rotten Tomato is going to keep Cap at 40% with 5 reviews for a good while today, because first impression counts, and when the early birds sees that, the 40% will always stick in their minds.

I bet you they did that, so they could "TWEET" out that Captain America is "rotten" to their 390,000 followers.

The Schmoes loved the movie and I usually agree to an extent for all the movies they see.

I'll have no problems now...though if Cap ends up rotten overall, I'll be very sad.

Rotten Tomato is going to keep Cap at 40% with 5 reviews for a good while today, because first impression counts, and when the early birds sees that, the 40% will always stick in their minds.

I bet you they did that, so they could "TWEET" out that Captain America is "rotten" to their 390,000 followers.
Ugh. Could you not? It is pathetic each and every time someone tries to act as though there's an RT conspiracy

Update:

And they just did exactly that!

http://twitter.com/#!/rottentomatoes

RottenTomatoes Rotten Tomatoes

Captain America: The First Avenger is currently #rotten. 40% @ 5 reviews. tmto.es/qGZdLi

2 mins ago

http://twitter.com/#!/RottenTomatoes/status/93693001913733120
Well there goes 1st impressions to their 390,000 twitter followers.

If you follow their Captain America tweets:

Captain America: The First Avenger is currently #rotten. 40% @ 5 reviews. tmto.es/qGZdLi
2 mins ago

2nd Captain America review is in. This time: #fresh. tmto.es/qGZdLi
10 hours ago

74 comments on the #rotten Captain America review? No doubt a civilized discourse!
10 hours ago

First Captain America review is in! And it's...#rotten. Play nice in there, boys... tmto.es/qGZdLi
15 hours ago
I see the words #rotten 3 times already after only 5 reviews.

Last edited:
Now we know why they had the embargo, same as GL.
When I heard about the commercial touting Jeanne Wolfe's review...well they did that with Green Lantern too.
I just really hope it's more along the rotten mixed reviews (50%).
I think at this point, if it is fresh the most it can get is lower 60's.
I was hoping it would at least be as high as Thor, but then critics love Branaugh, so a lot of them gave it a pass just for that.

Another positive review from UGO
http://www.ugo.com/movies/captain-america-the-first-avenger-review?cmpid=rss-movies-imdb

We’re in the midst of a superhero glut and some of this summer’s releases have had us beginning to worry if we’ve simply experienced too much of a good thing, or even whether we’ve *gasp!* begun to fall out of love with caped crusaders of any size, shape or form. Thankfully, Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger arrived just in time to remind us what we love about the genre.

One of the great things about superhero comics is that while they’re all part of the same larger genre, there are countless variations within it. A dark gritty Batman comic is wildly different from the scientific utopianism of a Fantastic Four book, which is different from both the crime noir stylings of Daredevil and the classic heroism of a Superman title.

Unfortunately, superhero movies by and large have not displayed the same level of diversity. Despite the different powers, costumes and character-driven melodrama, comic book films have started to feel somewhat interchangeable. If it’s a team movie, there’s generally a second-act conflict over whether the team can stick together. If it’s a solo adventure, the hero usually has a breakdown that sees him question whether he can even be a hero. Many superhero films even look the same, with the same hyper-real, cool blue aesthetic that makes the energy blasts and superpowers pop on screen.

Captain America: The First Avenger, however, is something completely different, as it’s not only a superhero movie, but also a war film and a period piece. Writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely and director Joe Johnston clearly understood this going into the film, as it never forgets itself or falls into spandex-draped cliché. In fact, the movie feels less like a superhero flick set in World War II, than a World War II movie that just happens to have a superhero running around in it.

None of the above should be seen as us grading on a curve, or commending a film for simply being different. Yes, it’s refreshing to see someone do something new with a superhero movie, but the most exciting part about Captain America: The First Avenger is how good it actually is.

The film isn’t just good for a superhero movie, it’s a legitimately exciting and entertaining flick, with solid believable performances throughout. After his run as the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies, we knew that Chris Evans was capable of getting heroic, but he displayed an impressive amount of range and depth with the character of Steve Rogers (aka Captain America), especially during his pre-transformation scenes.

Origin stories are always tough, as a superhero movie’s core demographic is usually intimately familiar with every facet of the legend after decades of iconic tales. Captain America: The First Avenger skirts this problem by fully investing the audience in Steve Rogers back when he was nothing more than a 90-pound weakling.

For long-time fans of Captain America and those of us who just can’t wait for the Avengers movie, Captain America: The First Avenger is loaded up with Easter eggs, cameos, references and foreshadowing. Viewers with absolutely no history with the material will never be lost during the movie and might find themselves heading down to their local comic shop the next day in search of some Captain America books (Check out Ed Brubaker's Captain America graphic novels).

The entire cast of Captain America: The First Avenger is remarkably solid, and they seem to be having a great time with Markus and McFeely’s 1940s dialogue, which manages to evoke the era without devolving into hackneyed slang or stereotypes. In addition to Evans, however, the cast’s true standouts are Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull, who is at least as evil as Agent Smith, and Tommy Lee Jones as Chester Phillips. Playing a crusty Army Colonel, Jones lends a hefty dose of legitimacy to the movie’s many war scenes, and frankly, we’re just delighted to finally get the image of him playing Two-Face out of our heads.

We understand if you’re worn out on superhero flicks and feel like you just can’t handle another one this summer; if you’ve ever had even a passing interest in the genre, you should make time to see Captain America: The First Avenger, because it’s definitely the best one we’ve seen this summer.

The only real complaint is that Captain America’s creators, Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, were only credited deep within in the final credits, not right up front as they so rightfully deserve.

We got really used to seeing Thor's positive first impressions from the international press and X-Men FC's, that seeing the negatives building up here for Cap does really chafe.

Am I still going to be there on opening day? Hells yeah! Am I going to be as excited? Totally!

But yeah, I can't help but think it's not necessarily a conspiracy, but the luck of the draw, with Cap coming out last in a very packed CBM season and with a director whose work I generally like but who a lot of people are very skeptical about....

Is Rotten Tomatoes really letting FIVE reviews go as a first impression?!

Now we know why they had the embargo, same as GL.
When I heard about the commercial touting Jeanne Wolfe's review...well they did that with Green Lantern too.
I just really hope it's more along the rotten mixed reviews (50%).
I think at this point, if it is fresh the most it can get is lower 60's.
I was hoping it would at least be as high as Thor, but then critics love Branaugh, so a lot of them gave it a pass just for that.

It's five freaking reviews. 5!

I don't think half of the positives we've seen have been put on RT yet, and now people are acting like it's the end of everything!

Chill out, relax... we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"