The Official Captain America Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I just didn't get the impression that they did in that arc.

Anubis said:
Yeah, but what if he already hit it? Didn't he and the real Diamondback already do the do?
I'm referring to the DBack that turned out to be the LMD...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was alluding that Cap's usual courtship length may have been reduced with the LMD by the fact that he already banged the real Diamondback.

Thats what I ment. I mean, hooking up with an ex takes a lot less work than getting with someone new.

Check out the Wallpaper from Marvel.com

Captain-america-11-1024.jpg

Ok, I need some comic trivia.

You see, as you can see in my sig, I'm playing the ole' Captain Rogers in the upcoming Marvel RPG: The Secret Wars. I was wondering if you guys could give me a little advice on some general stuff.

1. Who has Captain America been "involved" with? Are any of them in the Avengers?

2. What's Cap's relationship with the people in the Avengers? What about the Avengers feelings for Cap?

3. Besides the whole Bucky/Winter Soldier escapade. Is there any fairly recent developments for Cap?

If someone could answer those, that would be great.

Well, Caps had a ton of girl friends over the years. I would have to say that of them all, Sharon Carter is the one closest to his heart. She isn't an Avenger, but she is agent 13 of S.H.I.E.L.D. Then you got Diamond Back. Former member of the Serpent society or whatever. Not an Avenger, but a Superhero if you want to call her that.

His relationship with the Avengers, well, he's their leader. The guy that they put all their trust in. Everybody respects him. They would have to for him to be able to tell Gods and rulers of entire countries to do what he says. I would say he's closest with Iron Man, Thor, and Falcon.

And recent developments, well, his identity is public. Shortly after 9/11 he outed himself after killing a terrorist on national t.v. Then he hooked up with Diamond Back again, only to find out she was really a robot in league with the Red Skull. And of course there is Avengers Disassembled.

Cap's also very close with Hawkeye. Probably because they went from a very tenuous relationship as teammates and nothing else to a grudging respect for each other to a full-blown friendship and admiration over the years. Other than that, he's the Marvel Superman, basically, at least as far as status goes. Literally everybody admires him and he's basically got qualities that everyone can like. He's as fierce a warrior as Thor or Hercules, more resourceful and able to think on his feet better than just about anyone else, one of the best tacticians to have planning strategies for you, athletic, energetic, confident to a fault, friendly, blah, blah, blah. He's almost the perfect human being, except for the fact that he's got a whole closet full of demons over Bucky's death and other things he perceives as personal failings.

Thanks Corp. Looks like I have a lot more to play with then I thought in the first place. :D

Or that someone who wore a Bucky costume has some relation to the Winter Soldier.

A cosmic cube can do basically anything, right, including bring back the dead? If so, I dont see why a villain with a grudge against Cap wouldnt bring back Bucky to **** with Cap.

From Newarama

JOURNEY INTO COMICS: WINTER SOLDIER - IS HE OR ISN'T HE?

by Michael San Giacomo

SPOILER WARNING

Now, I’m naturally a suspicious kind of guy. But this Marvel solicitation for Captain America No. 8 leaves little room for doubt that the first Bucky is in fact The Winter Soldier. I don’t see any "allegedly" or "apparently" in there. It looks pretty rock solid.

Winter comes early to (Captain) America …
The revelation of who killed the Red Skull has rocked Captain America’s world to the core. Cap must track down the Winter Soldier- the alias now used by his former partner, Bucky. And, in the wake of Bucky’s dramatic return from the grave, General Lukin makes his first all-out assault! Brubaker and company are crafting a tale that many regard as the greatest run on Captain America in modern times. To commemorate the start of this explosive second arc, there will be a limited variant cover by fan favorite Joe Jusko!
CAPTAIN AMERICA #8
Written by ED BRUBAKER
Pencils by STEVE EPTING
Covers by STEVE EPTING AND JOE JUSKO
"THE WINTER SOLDIER" Part 1 (of 6)

Do I believe it? Not on your life. Nope, you can fool me a couple hundred times, but eventually I catch on.

I’m sure there are 100 ways to get out of reviving the one (of two) characters that seemed to be the only Marvel characters destined to stay dead. The other is Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben. (He’s still dead, right?)

But if it’s true, the way Ed Brubaker pulled off the resurrection is brilliant: back in WW II, a Russian finds the badly wounded Buckster, nurses him back to health and then something, something, something. He returns with a robot arm and barely aged.

Depending on what Brubaker does with the rest of the story, particularly that something part, this could work.

I always thought that I would be disappointed if Marvel ever dared to resurrect Bucky. But now that it may have happened, (and I am still not convinced,) I find that it ain’t so bad. I think I was more chagrined when Colossus returned recently with "not so much as a by your leave."

And really, considering that Jean Grey has been revived, what 198 times, isn’t it hard to take any Marvel death seriously?

Still, if Brubaker is serious, this could be a great character, a powerful adversary for Cap.

The same argument goes for DC and the recent rebirth of Jason Todd, (Robin II) though I am just as skeptical on that revival as this one.

I must confess I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the way the "Ice" story was handled in Captain America. It seemed as if it were about to be revealed that Cap was kept in suspended animation (perhaps even put there) by the American government because they knew he would object to the atomic bombings of Japan.

But before the truth was revealed, the story deteriorated into a confusing mess. That was a cheap way to make sure that the legend of Cap, his storyline more precisely, would remain exactly as it was found.

That is one way to make sure that nothing ever grows. It’s called stagnation.

Wow. Color me surprised, if the solicitation is true. Not that I'd want to be a cynic or anything but it's awfully hard to take anything "major" from Marvel seriously (the infinite deaths of Jean Grey, etc.).

Could be a great storyline, or could just put another nail in Cap's coffin. I loved the line about stagnation, too. Cap needs new life desparately. I think one of the single-best storylines to come out of the last year was Cap and the return of Diamondback. I don't remember seeing Diamondback after that last issue with the LMD. As a lifelong Cap fan, I was more excited to see that than another ****ing number one issue.

how do you revive someone who was on an exploding warhead????????

The Cosmic Cube allows people to bend reality to their will. At full power, it'd be no trouble at all for a Cosmic Cube to reach back in time and alter events so that Bucky doesn't die on the drone plane. Of course, the Cube that the Russian dude has is very weak. Which raises an interesting question: What if the Winter Soldier really IS Bucky, but the Cosmic Cube somehow brought him back... wrong, in some way? I don't know how, but just not quite as Bucky should've been. Still lame because it'd still be Bucky, but interesting nonetheless.

Hey, just read this over at another board, thought it was neat idea.

"
The funny thing I got out of this story was this: there are gaps in Jack's activities throughout his final year. Was this a result of the deterioration of his mind, or was this a purposefully driven plot point? All of a sudden, I have this idea in my head that the Winter Soilder is the real Jack Monroe, while the Jack Monroe/Nomad we've been seeing all these years was...the real Bucky Barnes! Somehow, Bucky did survive what happened to him and somehow he was brainwashed (or something else) into believing that he was a man named Jack Monroe for some nefarious purpose. The tragedy of it all? All this time, back during the day, Cap thought he had been working with Jack Monroe/Nomad but never knew that he was actually working alongside his old partner Bucky. And now, if Jack does turn out to be Bucky, his old partner is dead once again, having been killed "a second time" before Cap could discover the truth. What a whacked out theory, eh?"

What do you think? I almost think I'd be upset if this was right because this will have spoiled me. I think it'd be a neat twist.

Thats a good theory. Thats pretty much the way I've been leaning towards.

That theory doesn't appeal to me at all. Ideally, Bucky would stay in his grave and the Winter Soldier would've been Jack Monroe all along. The "dead" Jack could be an LMD with faulty programming, just like the Diamondback LMD, which would result in his screwy memory and give the Winter Soldier a motive for killing him.

I really don't see what the problem would be if it was Bucky. It really wouldn't piss me off all that much. At all really. I just don't really think thats Bucky.

It would piss me off. Bucky's kind of a sacred cow, and there's no reason whatsoever to bring him back. The illusion of Bucky's return is enough to throw Cap into severe turmoil and has done so several times in the past. Plus, the whole sidekick coming back as the villain thing has been done to death and it wasn't all that original in the first place.

The way that idea works though is that he's been back and no one, not even Jack/Bucky knew it. Makes Cap mourn for his partner again and regret not spending the time with him. Also, in the end, Bucky is still dead, and we have never actually seen Bucky alive, while knowing it was Bucky, kinda like catching a fleeting glimpse of him, not fully ressurecting him.

I have really high hopes that this will somehow turn out to actually be Jack Munroe.

It would be far more interesting to me. The fact that they devoted an entire issue to what has happened to Munroe recently, indicates to me that he must have more significance to this story than seen so far. Plus he was actually active during the fifties, has had a history of mental problems (could be the results of brainwashing/memory wipes), and has been in suspended animation for a time (showing why he hasn't aged much).

I'm wondering if the Jack Munroe we saw killed, and that walked around during the Nomad days, might have been and LMD, and the real Munroe had been snagged by the Russians when put in suspended animation back in the day.

WHat in comics, hasn't been done before? It's all about the exicution. So far Bru has done a good job. And if it did turn out to be Bucky, I would support it. Because I never bought into that unwritten rule of Bucky and Uncle Ben should always stay dead. Ben, sure. His death is what made Peter Parker become Spider-Man. But Bucky? Not so much. Cap was Cap before Bucky. His death is a key moment in the characters history, but what about Bucky? Is he to simply be a mayrtr? A dead little sidekick. A constant plot device for Cap? I say, if it is him, good. Maybe now somebody can do something with the character. Make him into a great Villian. It worked for Maricle Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"