The Official Captain America Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a bunch of ads in Marvel's comics this month with famous quotes about fear, too. Clearly, it's an event built around the theme of fear. I hope it doesn't ruin any characters.

Weird that it's Steve on the Captain America teaser, but Bucky on the Avengers one.

MARVEL T&A: Brevoort's March Madness

ifxze1.jpg

I understand you've got some Cap one-shots coming up in March. As a lot of the more recent tie-in product for the movie, you've been doing some stand alone series and specials that anyone, from old school fans to kids can pick up. I get the impression that these stories are a bit more connected to the world Ed Brubaker has built in the main "Cap" title. How did you come up with these stories, and who was involved?

Brevoort: It's Captain America's 70th Anniversary this March, and that's why we're doing these five one-shots. We gave some thought to the fact that there's going to be a film, of course, but really, the purpose of doing these books was to take a snapshot of where Captain America is at after 70 years of publishing.

Not every one of those books is set contemporaneously. "Captain America And The First 13" is set in the 1940s during World War II. Peggy Carter's story has never fully been told. We've done a couple of three-panel flashbacks here and there, and there was one little 12-page story in the '60s that Stan and John Romita, Sr. did, but we've never gotten to see Cap and Peggy interact in a meaningful way. So this nice Kathryn Immonen one-shot will delve into their relationship amidst the War. And it also kind of drops a little seed for a moment that'll happen in "Cap" in a couple of months.

We're doing the "Captain America and the Falcon" because Sam's been a regular presence in the book for so long - particularly since Bucky's taken over the role - and by virtue of the fact that the main series is called "Captain America" rather than "Captain America And The Falcon" like it was in the '70s, he tends to not get as much of the spotlight as we might like. So here's a story that'll focus on Sam Wilson and what he's about and his background. It'll flesh him out a bit more for people who aren't as familiar as guys who remember "Captain America And The Falcon" from the '70s...guys like me. [Laughter]

We're doing a "Captain America and Crossbones" story, which is a fun chance to take a character who up until now has been appearing primarily in "Thunderbolts" and who got some notoriety as the guy who killed Captain America and set him down in a black ops, behind-the-lines mission that's so ugly and dirty and awful that they'll send the worst guy there is in because they don't care if he gets killed getting the job done. It's a fun adventure that will hopefully give you a little insight into exactly what it is that makes Crossbones tick and makes him cool. It'll also hopefully set him up for things down the pike.

We're also doing "Captain America And the Secret Avengers" which is primarily focused on Sharon Carter and the Black Widow, both of whom are important characters in Cap's orbit. It'll give them a little more spotlight and screen time than they usually get.
And I almost forgot what may be my favorite one of all - "Captain America And Batroc!" Batroc is one of those characters that hasn't always been treated with a lot of dignity, but here is a one-shot of him interacting with Cap and showing just how cool and formidable and interesting that wacky master of savate is. It's a great little one-shot. It's not necessarily what you'd expect from a story starring Batroc.

So we've got those five one-shots in March in addition to "Captain America" #616 which is going to be a 100-plus-page monstrosity devoted to celebrating the fact that Cap is now 70 years old. That'll have material by Ed and a bevy of guest contributors. In this instance, I've been turning to creators who have never really written Captain America before, so there'll be pieces by Howard Chaykin, Mike Benson and Paul Grist, Frank Tieri, Kyle Higgins and Alec Siegel, Cullen Bunn and one or two surprises. It's going to illustrate ena illuminate all kinds of interesting facets about Captain America and the different men who've worn the uniform and carried the shield.

Crossbones is awesome. Also, Cullen Bunn is awesome. Looking forward to what he does with Cap.

Can't wait to read that Peggy Carter issue! I love Kathryn Immonen! I'm also looking forward to the Sharon and Black Widow one.

http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video/player.php?aid=40831

Ron Garney interview on him drawing Ultimate Captain America mini-series launching in January. :) Here's the information on #3 coming in March:
ULTCAPA003_COV_COL.jpg

ULTIMATE COMICS CAPTAIN AMERICA #3 (of 4)
Written by JASON AARON
Pencils & Cover by RON GARNEY
An Ultimate Comics groundbreaking miniseries!
Captain America has seen things no soldier should ever see, been to places that no man should be able to return, and beaten foes that no other hero could put down. Now, in the jungles of Cambodia, one man will push Captain America to, and past his limits. And Cap may not come back! The superstar team of Jason Aaron and Ron Garney bring you a brutal story you will NOT want to miss!

Is Ultimate Nuke the Vietnam Era Cap theyve been talking about??

because then the Ultimate Universe has TWO *****ebag Caps

Yeah Nuke is the Vietnam Era Cap. :p

Oh fantastic.

next thing you know, there'll be a whole Frathouse full of Caps.

Well Nick Fury has Frank Castle as his Black Ops Captain America, but he escapes SHIELD Custody but apparently gets captured again for Millar's 4th Ultimate Avengers arc, where it seems Steve goes againts Punisher:
33m95cn.jpg

So yeha, we sure have alot of Super Soldiers/Captain Americans both 616-verse and Ultimate. :D

Really looking forward to Sin's turn as the main villain. I hope she does her daddy proud. :hehe:

I really really hate Sin. She annoys the hell out of me like Azula on The Last Airbender show. The good thing is that they're written to be despised, so they're effective characters instead of just being annoying villains that you hate because you don't like the character.

I love her. She has that particularly joyous kind of crazy where she revels in everything awful she does. That's fun in a villain to me.

I still hope the original Skull comes back eventually but Sin is a great replacement in the meanwhile. There's no reason there can't be 2 Red Skulls running around at the same time.

I think the original Red Skull would beg to differ, especially after Sin inevitably fails with whatever plot she's got cooking. It's one thing for him to get schooled by Cap; it's another for his would-be replacement to make him look bad by association. ;)

I'm reminded of the end of Starman, where the Mist [blackout]Kills his daughter cuz she's a f**king failure and all she succeed in doing was raping and getting knocked up by a superhero.[/blackout]

My point being, I see how this will probably play out. [blackout]Rape not necessarily included.[/blackout]

Also, read Starman if you haven't. I am not a bot

Pre-ordered Captain America Lives! Omnibus! :)

I can't buy that because I have the regular HC editions.

Unless someone's interested in buying them.

Hint hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"