The Official DC Recommendations Thread

I haven't actually read a great deal of Batman yet, so where do people recommend I start? I have a fair bit of knowledge of some of the characters and have seen some of the animated films (Year One, Under The Red Hood and Mask of The Phantasm) as well as The Animated Series and The Brave and The Bold.
I've been told The Long Halloween is a good place to start (after Year One, obviously), but after watching Under The Red Hood, I'd like to get in to a lot of the Robin backstory, starting with Dick and going through them all.
I'm planning on catching up with pretty much everything as I go along, but I want to make sure I get the right start. Oh, and I've been reading the new 52, obviously.
So, recommendations?

You can't go wrong with Year One, The Long Halloween (personally my favorite Batman story) and Dark Victory (which provides Robin's origin story).

Dark Victory always seemed like just a rehash of TLH to me.

Absolutely, the same exact main plot, but with added Dick Grayson. Also, no ambiguity about who the serial killer is. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.
Still, I'm a sucker for Sale's art, and Loeb's Batman monologues, so I love 'em both.

DV isn't as good as TLH I'll give you that but like itsthebatman I too am a sucker for Sale's art and Loeb's writing. The story isn't as fresh but I still think its a really strong read and provides a solid sequel to TLH but I can see the other side of the argument so to each their own.

Does anybody here read the Showcase Presents tpbs? I know that some people don't like them cause they're black and white, which is somewhat understandable. But I was wondering if anybody had read any, or was familiar with the collected stories and could point me in the direction of some of the more obscure comics (i.e. War comics, mystery and horror, obscure superheroes, etc.) that would be worth picking up in this format.

The miniseries that just finished up.

Unless you wanna go bin diving for stuff from the 70's.

The Levitz/Stanton series from Wonder Woman has been collected in a trade. I have it.

Does anybody here read the Showcase Presents tpbs? I know that some people don't like them cause they're black and white, which is somewhat understandable. But I was wondering if anybody had read any, or was familiar with the collected stories and could point me in the direction of some of the more obscure comics (i.e. War comics, mystery and horror, obscure superheroes, etc.) that would be worth picking up in this format.
I love them. It's a relatively cheap way to have a good portion of classic material handy. Check Amazon for stuff like; Dial H for Hero, Eclipso, The Losers, Our Army at War, Doom Patrol, Challengers of the Unknown,Phantom Stranger. Upcoming volumes are to include; The Spectre, Rip Hunter, & Adam Strange.

Are there any TPBs that have Superman vs Darkseid?

Superman/Batman: Supergirl
Justice League: Rock of Ages

HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PREVIEWS FOR BATMAN #11 AND BATMAN AND ROBIN #11? :whatever:

Just read the trades/hardcovers for Batman Earth One, Batman and Robin Born to Kill and Suicide Squad Kicked in the Teeth.
Really enjoyed all three, with Suicide Squad being the big surprise of the bunch. For me its almost as cool as Secret Six.
Batman Earth One was also cool, but the best read of the week for me was definitely Batman and Robin Born to Kill. Always loved the Tomasi Gleason team on GLC, but on B&R they are truly doing their best work. Loved it!

Last week I read the New 52 Stormwatch, Batwoman and Frankenstein. Liked Frankenstein very much and also enjoyed Stormwatch a lot. Batwoman was alos great, even better than the original run by Rucka, in my eyes. So far my favourite trades/hc's of the new 52 were Court of Owls, Wonder Woman, Stormwatch, Batman and Robin and Suicide Squad.

my only suggestion...

Superman+SDCC+2012+MAN+OF+STEEL.jpg

Wow, his face is a very noticeably different color from the rest of his skin. But otherwise, cool.

Hi guys,

Just wondering what are the top flash graphic novels or stories that should be ready. Preferably around Barry Allen.

Any help would be awesome :D.

I've been out of comics for a long time but I'm really excited that Adams is working on Batman again. Can someone let me know if Batman Odyssey is any good?

Man. I don't know what to tell you about that. That book is ****ing crazy.

Man. I don't know what to tell you about that. That book is ****ing crazy.
Really... so don't expect the O'Neil and Adams grounded stories. Can't hurt to try I guess.

Really... so don't expect the O'Neil and Adams grounded stories. Can't hurt to try I guess.

it actually did hurt a little bit to try it. to see how far the great neal adams has fallen is just disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"