World The official Fleischer Superman thread: An open discussion

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
Discuss anything and everything about the 17 animated shorts released in the early 1940's.

I am of the opinion that these are the most perfect cartoons ever produced. I love the stylistic choices that were made for the shorts.

This may have been previously discussed and analyzed a million times before but there was no thread on this, so...

What aree your thoughts?:super:

All of the Fleischer "Superman" shorts are magnificent, as far as I'm concerned.

At least from the standpoint of hand-drawn animation, they've never been bettered. Certainly, they're close to the same level as a lot of the shorts and features that Walt Disney was doing at the same time. The rotoscoping (which recreates human movements) is terrific, the character designs spot on, and the visuals are spectacular. Additionally, I always loved how -- and this is so representative of the era -- some of the best aspects of 1940's "film noir" are employed, such as when Clark Kent transforms into Superman, and you never see anything aside from a silhouette behind a pebble glass store room door, phone booth, or his exaggerated shadow thrown upon a wall or some other surface. It's almost never out in the open. Along with Sammy Timberg's music score, it always makes it fairly dramatic.

I'd actually go as far as to say that it's too bad there were only seventeen episodes, and that the Fleischers couldn't manage to do a full-length feature at Paramount along the lines of "Gulliver's Travels." The cost just might have been too prohibitive.

A part of me also wishes that someone would do a cartoon series set in this 1940's WWII-era period -- Rob Pratt's short, "Superman Classic," probably comes closest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WVlmNqMMs

As for the Fleischer shorts, my favorite episodes would have to be "Billion Dollar Limited," "Electric Earthquake" "The Magnetic Telescope" and "The Mechanical Monsters."

It's also important to remember that Superman was very powered down. This was the golden age man of steel and his powers were such that everyday objects might pose some very minor threat to him.

The animation has never been better and IMO, exceeds Batman: the animated series as well as Superman: the animated series

My favorite part from all the cartoons is in "The Bulleteers" (I think), where Lois grabs a machine gun and fires it out a train window.

I'm not a great expert on these. But those that I have seen have fantastic animation and colours.

In an attempt to resurrect this thread, I will ask... have you guys seen the FIRST FLIGHT documentary and if so, what did you think of it?

My favorite part from all the cartoons is in "The Bulleteers" (I think), where Lois grabs a machine gun and fires it out a train window.

that's not "The Bulleteers" you are thinking of. That is "BILLION DOLLAR LIMITED"

what is the best thing about them in your opinion, Young Superman?

The animation, These cartoons are over 70 years old and they still look incredible. Also Clayton "Bud" Collyer as the voice of Clark Kent / Superman. The way he used a tenor voice for Clark Kent and a baritone one for Superman was genius. He was/is the definitive voice of Clark Kent / Superman.

The animation, These cartoons are over 70 years old and they still look incredible. Also Clayton "Bud" Collyer as the voice of Clark Kent / Superman. The way he used a tenor voice for Clark Kent and a baritone one for Superman was genius. He was/is the definitive voice of Clark Kent / Superman.

I agree. There will never be a better voice actor for Superman

I'm surprised this thread doesn't have that much interest. I loved this series!

I love, LOVE these cartoons.

I was four, maybe even three years old, walking through a library with my mother. I looked at the shelf of VHS tapes and saw it.

"Who's that?"
"That's Superman."
"Can we get that?"
"Yeah, of course."

Little did she know what she'd be starting. :D

I love, LOVE these cartoons.

I was four, maybe even three years old, walking through a library with my mother. I looked at the shelf of VHS tapes and saw it.

"Who's that?"
"That's Superman."
"Can we get that?"
"Yeah, of course."

Little did she know what she'd be starting. :D

I love hearing stories like that. For me it was with my grandmother at a flea market involving Superman, Batman and Captain America comics. And that was after I saw Batman '89 in theaters at 4 years old and after my father showed me Superman 1978.

probably the best Superman cartoons I've ever watched :) they might not be as long as TAS, but the animation is astounding... you dont see that kind of animation anymore. my only wish is that they would make more of these cartoons

probably the best Superman cartoons I've ever watched :) they might not be as long as TAS, but the animation is astounding... you dont see that kind of animation anymore. my only wish is that they would make more of these cartoons

You could count on 1 hand the number of times animation has been that good. Snow White, Bambi, these cartoons and maybe a few others. Simply astounding.

does anyone know when and where Jimmy Olsen appeared in this series?

He was supposedly voiced by Jack Mercer in one or more of these shorts (original voice of Popeye and THE MAD SCIENTIST).

I found this picture:

185px-Jimmyolsen1940scartoons.jpg

I know m most folks didn't like the "Truth" look, bot you gotta love the Fleischer inspired symbol.
latest

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"