The Official Frank Sinatra Appreciation Thread

I'd say I don't have a large appreciation for his full body of music simply due to lack of exposure, but "Glad to be Unhappy" is probably in my top 20 favorite songs ever.

I figured you to be a Wee Small Hours fan for some reason.

Indeed, I am, man. I think the vast majority of that album is ****ing perfect on every level.

Last edited:
By the way, I just want to contribute... has anyone in the history of the world ever made the type of voice Sinatra sings in sound 1/8th as good as Sinatra himself? Nope. It's why people like Buble sound like they're "Sinatra+some ****** other". Sinatra is pure. Sinatra is perfect. Anybody else trying to do Sinatra fails right from the outset.

JLBats said:
Indeed, I am, man. I think the vast majority of that album is ****ing perfect on ever level.

Agreed. "Last Night When We Were Young" and "This Love Of Mine" are probably my favorites. The version of "Mood Indigo," which has been done by just about every vocalist of that era, is among the best if not the best.

I'll admit, of the four Saloon Song albums he cut at Capitol, Where Are You is my favorite, with ITWSH and Only The Lonely tied for second. No One Cares is my least favorite but still excellent. The version of "Here's That Rainy Day" from that album is bonechilling.

By the way, I just want to contribute... has anyone in the history of the world ever made the type of voice Sinatra sings in sound 1/8th as good as Sinatra himself? Nope. It's why people like Buble sound like they're "Sinatra+some ****** other". Sinatra is pure. Sinatra is perfect. Anybody else trying to do Sinatra fails right from the outset.

So true, especially about Buble. Not only that, but just about every skilled impressionist, including Rich Little, lists Frank as the hardest voice to imitate, and most give up after one try.

Last edited:
You can imitate it, but can you ever capture the pitch-perfect emotion? Naw. It's hard to describe, but I feel the way about his voice that sculptors used to feel about the block of clay... there's a statue inside there already, one perfect interpretation, and you get to it by chiselling away imperfect excess. Sinatra is the same. Every song is the perfect interpretation of the song, the exactly accurate sonic vibration he chiselled out of the air.

You can imitate it, but can you ever capture the pitch-perfect emotion? Naw. It's hard to describe, but I feel the way about his voice that sculptors used to feel about the block of clay... there's a statue inside there already, one perfect interpretation, and you get to it by chiselling away imperfect excess. Sinatra is the same. Every song is the perfect interpretation of the song, the exactly accurate sonic vibration he chiselled out of the air.

Indeed. I also have to state that "I've Got You Under My Skin" may be the best recording I've personally ever heard of anything. Not only is the singing and phrasing flawless, the arrangement and instrumental break are lightyears ahead of anything being done at the time. Songs For Swingin' Lovers is probably the upbeat equivalent to ITWSH.

And speaking of phrasing, I think that Sinatra may be one of the few vocalists who can be considered a genius. The way he'd latch on to certain phrases or even a certain, singular word and use to it to convey a whole spectrum of emotion was and still is unbelievable. Supernatural almost.

See, I've heard people do that better, but never with the same unwavering coolness Sinatra does it with. Dude is still the personification of manly melancholy. Artists today could take a hint.

See, I've heard people do that better, but never with the same unwavering coolness Sinatra does it with. Dude is still the personification of manly melancholy. Artists today could take a hint.

Very well put.

Giving this a bump to remind people that the new FS compilation, Seduction, is out now. It features several songs that haven't been available on cd in 15 years as well as a never before released recording of "My Funny Valentine" from 1965.

Bump just because I sing "And Joe I know you're getting anxious to close," whenever I'm winning at various games.:woot:

best_of_the_best_by_hectorenriquez-d38b7j7.jpg

more art art: www.hectorenriquez.daportfolio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"