The Official God of War Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing a NGP title. It has almost all the other blockbuster Sony franchises coming, GOW seems a natural inclusion.

IMO, they should give GoW a rest. It had a good run with good games but I feel Kratos story is pretty much done. One thing the series failed to do was really evolved in terms of gameplay bc all 5 of them are the same basic premise with little deviation. That kinda lost its charm after the second title. I want Sony to have Santa Monica work on a new IP. They are talented enough to branch out and Id love to see what else they are capable of. Either that or Id also like to see them take over for Heavenly Sword and give that series a sequel.

Last edited:
I agree overall, but no way that's going to happen. The series has become far too profitable and iconic for Sony to put on the shelf for any significant amount of time before they run it into the ground. Even if they decide to call it quits on the main title, they'll be a handheld or PSN spin-off/prequel/betweenquel/whateverquel of the franchise floating around.

I think we still need some Epic Kratosness in our lives....BRING IT!!

Well, I always wanted the third to be the ending to Kratos' story...but if a sequel is as awesome, I'd buy it anyway.

I don't think it is, though. Where else could the story go? He pretty much destroyed everything, now. But it's great that Santa Monica is doing it.

His Body disappeared at the End of 3 so that pretty much says
"You ain't Seen The Last of Me" I am sure they will think of Something.

Oh, but we know what happens after that.
He entered a portal and appeared in Outworld. Now he's going to enter the Mortal Kombat tournament to kill Raiden and the Elder Gods till there's nothing left of that reality too.:oldrazz:

He's addicted to god-killing.

IMO, they should give GoW a rest. It had a good run with good games but I feel Kratos story is pretty much done. One thing the series failed to do was really evolved in terms of gameplay bc all 5 of them are the same basic premise with little deviation. That kinda lost its charm after the second title. I want Sony to have Santa Monica work on a new IP. They are talented enough to branch out and Id love to see what else they are capable of. Either that or Id also like to see them take over for Heavenly Sword and give that series a sequel.

It may have failed to evolve in the gameplay, but the gameplay it had I love the absolute hell out of. Not saying I didn't think it hadn't gotten stale, but I look at it this way: the core God of War gameplay is like sex, if it doesn't evolve past this point, and continues to fine-tune, and bits and pieces here and there, I will always love the hell out of it.

Too be honest, I pre-ordered the third game, and it did turn out to be a disappointment (pretty much exactly what you felt like).:csad: To take my analogy further, GOW3 would be like the 30th year of marriage, where doing the same woman for decades would just be getting stale. I bet I'll love the PSP games though, it'll be the same old same old... with mistresses!!!:woot:

Also, I wish David Jaffe had directed 2. Then maybe he would have put in the Icarus wings flight gameplay that was shown in the extras of the first game. That looked so bomb. Archangel from the X-men+Kratos= gameplay heaven. I think I just ejaculated in my trousers.:awesome:

I bought GoW III on launch day but I was burnt with the game play a few hours in. It's my fault though, I bought up the GoW Collection as well as Chains of Olympus and played the heck out of them until GoW III hit and by that time.... I was just tired of it, lol.

I'm sure I'd look more favorable on the game had I played GoW III after not having played the series since the PS2 days.

Yall are crazy!!:wow: GOWIII had by far the best gameplay of the series, not to mention the graphics and cinematorgraphy was breathtaking. That opening fight with Kratos on Gaia and fighting Poisedon, doesn't get more epic then that people!:yay: Sure the story is the weakest of the trilogy but it doesn't matter, killing Hercules, Zeus, Gaia, etc. was hella FUN!! The weapons were awesome, never have I played a game that looked SO beautiful. I played the GOW Collection before I bought the 3rd and still loved it! If there's a 4th, even if it doesn't makes sense at all to have a 4th, I'd still by it!:woot:

I played the first and second before the third, and I still couldn't get enough.
I thought I would be tired of it, too, but the third was just too impressive to really care about that, and the controls were so fluid. I love the gameplay and I thought it was the best of the series.

Last edited:
I hope not. You know Im very against a GoW4, at least this soon. Id rather Sony put the team on a new IP or pick up Heavenly Sword

I think I agree.
Where else could the story go after the third, anyway?
Everything is destroyed and almost everyone is dead, isn't it?

I think I agree.
Where else could the story go after the third, anyway?
Everything is destroyed and almost everyone is dead, isn't it?
yep and they already did 2 prequels for the PSP so I dont think even going that route on the PS3 is a viable option. The only thing I can see them do is use a new protagonist but I think Kratos is pretty much done. With a new person, they might as well just give the game a new name and let it be a spiritual successor to GoW without actually being GoW

I think they are done with Kratos story and are moving on with something else

you kno as much as i would love to see gow3 be the end of the series, if they had good enough ideas where a 4th game would be really really worth it, i would love to see it. most games cant really seem to comprehend what makes a big-scale boss fight feel right quite like god of war. im hoping the new devil may cry game will work wonders but i heard that if they were to make a 4th gow athena might be the villain (to kratos anyways) and there are a few other titans left. like i said, if they dont have a good enough idea for another one im sure they wont bother but itd be great so see.
very glad they didnt do either of the other 2 possible endings the first 2 game directors would have gone with. 1 being kratos becoming death itself (more or less the grim reaper) and 2. having kratos' character switch over to fighting norse mythology. that would have just been too weird. altho i wish 3 had a better ending, not that what it was was bad, cuz it wasnt, i just hate that theres ever so slightly a cliffhanger feel about it. like we dont get full closure. obviously if thats the last of kratos then fine, i see where they were going with it with the whole hope idea, but kratos already survived getting stabbed, staked and whatever else hes gone through and one last stab is going to do him in? it would have been fine had he died but, after the credits his body was gone so really, i dont kno what they were thinking. maybe they wanted to give people who are fans of him hope that he survived and is alive (which is cruel to do unless you plan to make another game) or they just thought itd be cool to pull that card out of their hat. its just not as much of an ending as i would have liked to have seen. after all that, he still is alive. he doesnt really or shouldnt really have any more reason to go on, he should be at peace with what hes done finally and that be that. he deserves to move on and be with his family but no, hes still alive somewhere, still pissed off with nobody to blame things on. when all looked bleak he tried drowning himself so if he did manage to crawl away, whats to say he didnt just go dive back off that cliff anyways? the developers could have at least made him get stabbed and fall into the ocean so it would have ended where it all began, instead, we just see athena being the biznatch she turned out to be

That would be interesting if Athena would be the next Antagonist of the next God of War... but i do agree with some people on this board the idea of a fourth God of War would be amazing...but they should just end the series with GOWIII and leave Kratos alone.

That totally makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back