The Official Green Lantern Marketing Thread

batlovescatDC

Tragic Love
Reaction score
This thread is for fan's ideas for different marketing materials for the movie (besides the obvious trailers & posters). I.e. commercials, tie-ins, action figures, toys, drinks, candy, etc. Whether the ideas are cheesy, wacky, cool... post 'em all here!

One idea I thought of that would be hilarious but really cool are Green Lantern Ring Pop suckers. lol.

:hal:

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

If u want commercials for GL (which everyone does), please don't come in here and just say "commercials". That's pretty pointless to even type out. Let us know what type of commercial you have in mind, what company it would be with, and perhaps even write out what would happen in it if you have an idea for an outline of the commercial. Also if anyone creates any fake GL commercials, that would be amazing to see on here.

Also, another thing is... something that I've noticed is there's never a whole lot of fan-made-manips for commercials, advertisements with other companies (i.e. a poster for GL with McDonalds promoting Happy Meals), movie apparel (tshirts, hats, whatever), toys, etc... for any of the other dc comics films. This type of marketing is so much fun to manip and mess around with because it's so widely open to ideas and possibilites. We should use this thread to give GL the first ever major online collection of promotional fanips before the movie comes out!

Last edited:
yea besides the standard posters in movie theaters/comic shops, and trailers. I definately could see a soft drink promotion with say mountain dew or sprit. Candy definately with the whole ring angle. Then toys, and tshirt, ring replicas and all that.

ACTUAL Novelty Green Lanterns? As in light emitting lanterns not evil fighting lanterns.

^ good idea... i can definitely see them coming up with something like a camp light shaped like the portable power battery. And other things we'll definitely see are ring replicas that light up.

Last edited:
that would be cool, also back to candies i was thinking a limited release/short time for all green mm's but with the latern logo instead of the m on them.

Fun you brought this up, I wrote an editorial about my concern with this a few weeks ago and would love to read this community's thoughts:

Though the Green Lantern movie is still a year away from theatrical release, I've already begun to anticipate what Warner Bros has in store for us when it comes to tie-ins. Action figures, collectible statues, fast food toys, electronics cases and clothing are just some of the promotional merchandise we've seen related to superhero films.

After a bit of research, though, I realized that Green Lantern will have a bit of a problem. Out of all the mainstream superheroes out there who haven't already appeared on film, Green Lantern already has the most merchandise on store shelves. Everything from replica rings, character busts, key chains, coffee mugs, plush dolls to book ends are readily available for purchase. Action figures based on the comic characters are bountiful; especially since the Blackest Night series debuted. The Green Lantern comic universe is immense, and almost every character therein has their likeness on some manner of merchandise. You can even walk into most comic book stores at any given time and pick up a free Green Lantern ring.

I'm the first person to say that we can never have enough Green Lantern stuff available to buy. I've lost many a paycheck to comic book collectible items. So what's the problem I foresee?

It's not so much a problem, but a worrisome pattern. If you take a look at the latest blockbuster comic book movies, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, & Spider-Man, you'll notice that a large portion on the merchandise associated with them have NOTHING to do with the content of the films. With characters like Batman or Spider-Man, there isn't need to worry about film-to-merchandise confusion since most people are used to the variety that comes out of their stories. When you take a character like Green Lantern, and the limited content that will be introduced in the first film, there is much temptation to release merchandise that has no relevance to what audiences will see in theaters. Do you remember the X-Men Origins: Wolverine toy line?

So here is the issue at hand: How will the studio come out with merchandise that isn't already available while not delving too deep into what's not in the film?

The already known of characters for the film (that would logically have tie-ins) are Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris, Sinestro, the Guardians, Legion, Hector Hammond, Kilowog, Abin Sur, Tomar-Re and Salaak. History has proven that those are not nearly enough for present day studios to market. Will the studio use their toy line to introduce characters like John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Star Sapphire or Alan Scott, even though it may cause confusion to those who will expect to see them on film? And what of Sinestro? Though we know he will turn to the proverbial 'dark side' down the road, what if they decide to showcase him with his yellow ring and uniform? It's a solid possibility that the studio will go that route. After all, it's all about making the highest profit.

If you walk into any major retail store today, you will see an entire isle dedicated to Iron Man 2 movie merchandise. Will it be the same for Green Lantern? Most people feel that these two characters are perfect comparisons when it comes to how they are being used by their respective studios. If Warner Bros goes the Iron Man route, and produces droves of merchandise that have no actual association to the film (which, in this case, would mean more characters instead of more armors), would it be a benefit or a detriment to their overall strategy?

Personally, though I like buying all kinds of comic movie related items, I would rather they only release merchandise that makes sense in relation to the film. If Warner Bros is planning a trilogy of Green Lantern films, revealing too much, too soon would definitely cause a problem.

10577L.jpg

10576L.jpg

i am sure they will do i t right, as for toys yea i am sure they will put out non related to film items, and bonus toys for characrs yet to appear or yet to appear in certain form.

Rings, damn it! I've yet to see a fully green ring made out of metal.

Blitz I got 8 fully metal rings, one of each color I bought the JLA Trophy room ring set, plus the JLA Trophy room Power Battery ring prop is a metal ring that lights up the power battery

Rings! Lots and lots of rings, of varying materials/makes, styles, sizes, prices.

Shirts! Quality short-and-long sleeve tees.

obviously rings will be the most in-demand items. so why not make different versions? polished sterling silver rings, stainless steel, different styles for the corps symbol.

If either Coke or Pepsi get involved I actually see it going to Pepsi than Coke, coke has Iron Man so Pepsi will want to get in on the marketing too.

But like everyone said, rings, shirts, action figures, video games, movie edition comic books, candy. I like what you said Webhead about the Lantern logo M&Ms they could even do the other corps if they wanted too.
BatlovesCat your idea about the ring pops is brilliant

I'm already starting on the word of mouth, I have 5 different GL t-shirts, 2 different types of hoodies, 2 different style of hats, 5 different rings plus I have the symbol tattooed on my right arm. I wear a GL shirt every mon, weds, fri, sat and sun, I always have one of the rings on, different people ask me all the time what the symbol stands for and i tell them it's the Green Lantern and I tell them about the movie coming out next year and who is in it. I have already had like 35 people I had told this too tell me that it sounds awesome and they will check it out

Last edited:
Fun you brought this up, I wrote an editorial about my concern with this a few weeks ago and would love to read this community's thoughts:

Though the Green Lantern movie is still a year away from theatrical release, I've already begun to anticipate what Warner Bros has in store for us when it comes to tie-ins. Action figures, collectible statues, fast food toys, electronics cases and clothing are just some of the promotional merchandise we've seen related to superhero films.

After a bit of research, though, I realized that Green Lantern will have a bit of a problem. Out of all the mainstream superheroes out there who haven't already appeared on film, Green Lantern already has the most merchandise on store shelves. Everything from replica rings, character busts, key chains, coffee mugs, plush dolls to book ends are readily available for purchase. Action figures based on the comic characters are bountiful; especially since the Blackest Night series debuted. The Green Lantern comic universe is immense, and almost every character therein has their likeness on some manner of merchandise. You can even walk into most comic book stores at any given time and pick up a free Green Lantern ring.

I'm the first person to say that we can never have enough Green Lantern stuff available to buy. I've lost many a paycheck to comic book collectible items. So what's the problem I foresee?

It's not so much a problem, but a worrisome pattern. If you take a look at the latest blockbuster comic book movies, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, & Spider-Man, you'll notice that a large portion on the merchandise associated with them have NOTHING to do with the content of the films. With characters like Batman or Spider-Man, there isn't need to worry about film-to-merchandise confusion since most people are used to the variety that comes out of their stories. When you take a character like Green Lantern, and the limited content that will be introduced in the first film, there is much temptation to release merchandise that has no relevance to what audiences will see in theaters. Do you remember the X-Men Origins: Wolverine toy line?

So here is the issue at hand: How will the studio come out with merchandise that isn't already available while not delving too deep into what's not in the film?

The already known of characters for the film (that would logically have tie-ins) are Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris, Sinestro, the Guardians, Legion, Hector Hammond, Kilowog, Abin Sur, Tomar-Re and Salaak. History has proven that those are not nearly enough for present day studios to market. Will the studio use their toy line to introduce characters like John Stewart, Guy Gardner, Star Sapphire or Alan Scott, even though it may cause confusion to those who will expect to see them on film? And what of Sinestro? Though we know he will turn to the proverbial 'dark side' down the road, what if they decide to showcase him with his yellow ring and uniform? It's a solid possibility that the studio will go that route. After all, it's all about making the highest profit.

If you walk into any major retail store today, you will see an entire isle dedicated to Iron Man 2 movie merchandise. Will it be the same for Green Lantern? Most people feel that these two characters are perfect comparisons when it comes to how they are being used by their respective studios. If Warner Bros goes the Iron Man route, and produces droves of merchandise that have no actual association to the film (which, in this case, would mean more characters instead of more armors), would it be a benefit or a detriment to their overall strategy?

Personally, though I like buying all kinds of comic movie related items, I would rather they only release merchandise that makes sense in relation to the film. If Warner Bros is planning a trilogy of Green Lantern films, revealing too much, too soon would definitely cause a problem.

10577L.jpg

10576L.jpg

I think you are missing something here, MPP. In most cases, the products that are marketed from a film are based on things that the production company owns the exclusive rights to.

review_dk1_4.jpg

"The Dark Knight" Batman Costume

joker1.JPG

Christopher Nolan's The Joker from "The Dark Knight"

In the case of "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" all costumes and the likenesses of the character belonged to the producers of the film. The same thing was the case for Brian Singer's Superman in Superman Returns and will be the same for "Green Lantern". Those versions of the characters in the film (costumes and likenesses) will be copyrighted by the producers of the film. Since "Green Lantern" will in essence have an ensemble cast, there will be plenty of toys, products, and other paraphernalia that could be derived from the film (action figures, costumes, video games, props, et. al. that are specific replicas to the ones in the film). This will genuinely be different from the current products being sold today.

Now, that being said, the current marketing of Green Lantern products kind of parallels the way products were marketed for the first modern day Batman Movie in 1989. Back then, there were T-shirts, belt buckles, action figures et. al. being sold all over and it kind of placed a bug in the consumer's head to ask the question (if then didn't already know) "what is the bat symbol for?". When the film came out it was a hit and more than likely is part of the reason why the film franchise is still so successful. I have no doubt that this same approach will only serve to help the Green Lantern film franchise.

Last edited:
I'm planning on seeing the movie in a shirt and ring. It's the biggest attempt at cosplay I'll ever do.

Probably T-shirts and various accesories (definitely rings) at Hot Topic and a few other places.
Some fast food marketing (though I'm not sure where. Probably not BK since they seem to deal with Paramount primarily).
Some candy (Green M&Ms?)
Action figures for sure.

Quiet as it's kept, I have been wearing a GL T-Shirt every weekend since they have been filming this.

****, I feel like I'm not doing my part. I need a shirt.

yea i really think the limited edition green mm's with lantern logos would be a great candy item to go with. As for any soda drinks i think it would be more fitting if it went to one of the green ones like mountain dew or 7up/sprit.

^ seeing that Pepsi is the one that owns and distribute's Mountain Dew, I definitely see it going to the Pepsi. Co. Hell, they had a Dr. Pepper for Indiana Jones. lol

yea i just as i said think it would be more fitting if gl went with one of the green can/bottled sodas.

10577L.jpg

10576L.jpg

You bring up a good point... but I have to say that with every dc film that I've seen released, actions figures and toys with a very much so likeness to the way that the characters looked in the film have been put out onto shelves. I think that kids & collectors will be dying to get their hands on to action figures made out of Hal, Hector Hammond, Sinestro, the Guardians, Kilowog, Abin Sur, Tomar Re, and Legion. With the fact that a huge percentage of this film's characters are going to be cgi and makeup, it'll be very easy to recreate the looks for these action figures (i.e. the Star Wars films and action figures).

Also, another thing that we shouldn't forget is the fact that when people see this movie and get curious about he characters, they are going to either jump online and read about them or go out and get the comic books to learn more. Hence, they are going to find out things like the fact that Sinestro becomes Hal's most formidable foe and mortal enemy and also the fact that Carol Ferris becomes a villainess in the form of Star Sapphire... so if they would release action figures of those characters in their rogues gallery forms (which I don't see them doing anyway), it wouldn't really have any effect on the story/characters of the film or following sequels.

Okay so third post in a row lol... There are three ideas I had pop in my head today.

One is for a tshirt that just has the face of Ryan as Hal in his Green Lantern form, a fist showing the ring pointing towards the person looking at it and glowing, and up above the picture on the top of the t-shirt it reads "Kiss The Ring".

Another is for a commercial tie-in with Domino's Pizza (I can see them doing it since they had a tie-in with them for TDK)....

Dominos gets a call from Hal Jordan ordering a pizza, and says he wants it delivery. When asked his address, Hal says "It's kinda complicated. I'll send transportation." We cut to the delivery guy putting the pizza into the box and trying to find the address on it to deliver to when a ring drops on top of the box. He puts the ring on, it glows, and he is transported to Oa. He stands and stares in amazement, eyes wide, and jaw dropped. Hal walks up, grabs the pizza out of his hand, and pulls the ring off his finger and puts it back on himself. Looks at the delivery man's expression on his face then takes a look at what he's staring at and says "Pretty cool, huh?" then flies away with the pizza and the ring as the delivery man watches him calling out, "Umm, how do I get back?" End.

Third is a commercial for a viral marketing site, an IPhone feature, and a text message feature saying to "Sign Up and Become Part of the Corps". It sends different "missions" for the paricipants to carry out, updates, and chances for prizes. The commercial ends saying, "Protect The Universe."

i'd like to see a green lantern Ipod charger lantern :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"