• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

The Official Green Lantern Marketing Thread

Just saw a fan made trailer that actually isn't too bad (not necessarily good) but not too bad. It just takes two different fan trailers and incorporates Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan into it. Thought I'd post it on here 'cuz it's the only fan made trailer that I've seen that features Reynolds in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1XcaCeU7Ms

Nice one!

I like how it shows the real eyes of the GL behind the mask and then after blinking it turns into a the protective white eye look.

Awesome!

I hope that is done in the film with Hal. When he is flying or in battle we should see the white eyes look, but when he is not flying or in battle mode, we can see his real eyes.

^ yeah the eyes were definitely one of my faves about the trailer... also the Reynolds clips that were used in the last half of the trailer. the clips of him in the first half didn't really fit imo. I really think that Ryan will do a great job as Hal, though. I also have a lot of faith in Martin Campbell as the director. I think it's going to the best hero adaptation since TDK.

Had another marketing idea... magnents in the shape of the lantern that play the GL oath when you press the center of it. Definitely not anything major but just a little something that would be a cool promotion tool.

Well there has officially been a partial marketing stragedy for Green Lantern revealed. A huge part of it being the Mattel toyline, as well as a more adult-collectible "Green Lantern Movie Masters" figure-line done by "The Four Horsemen" design team.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102080-wb-and-mattel-team-on-green-lantern

An expo will be held next week that will no-doubt feature designs and figures for GL promotion.

There first Green Lantern promo art has also had a release:

screenshot002yw.jpg

screenshot003ri.jpg

screenshot011s.jpg

Great stuff IMO! What do you guys think?

ALSO: ANYBODY WHO ATTENDS THE EXPO HELD NEXT WEEK OR RECEIVES PICS FROM THE EXPO, PLEASE POST HERE! I can't wait to see what gets revealed.

:hal:

Last edited:
Marketing for this movie is going to be HUGE. I bet the toys are going to be especially popular, because kids love stuff with green / transluscent / glowing gimmicks, and this movie will certainly have plenty of opportunities for that sort of thing in the toys. SOMEONE is going to make a light up GL ring and lantern set, you just know it. ;)

I wonder if there's going to be special "Lantern Corps Green" Mountain Dew. It seems almost inevitable, lol.

Why does it say that "Anyone" can be chosen ? No anyone can not be chosen. Did these morons actually read the Comic Books or just the back of them & thought that it sounded cool ? If they keep the "Anyone Can Be Chosen" Tag Line then they obviously have no idea about this

Yeah, that's pretty bad design. I've seen fan posters that look better. Here's a lesson for all you budding young designers - avoid lens flares.

Last edited:
One thing that everybody should keep in mind is this is not an actual poster... not even a teaser poster. It's just promo art that's been released.

I personally think that it was probably made just as something quick for them to show along with the figure/toys designs for the Expo next week. It did just appear online a week beforehand... I don't imagine that's conincidence.

I think when get an actual teaser poster (probably at Comic-Con) it'll be a lot better than this. I'm not expecting anything that's gonna blow me away or anything... after all it's just a teaser poster, not a theatrical one. But I think it'll atleast be impressive.

Why does it say that "Anyone" can be chosen ? No anyone can not be chosen. Did these morons actually read the Comic Books or just the back of them & thought that it sounded cool ? If they keep the "Anyone Can Be Chosen" Tag Line then they obviously have no idea about this

Don't read too much into it. Technically, anyone CAN be chosen, meaning the most random beings in the universe can have that amount of will.

I think that artwork is just fine for it's purpose at the Licensing Expo, which is obviously what it's being used for. And Terry's right, the tagline makes sense when you follow the context of the film.

Yes, ANYONE can be chosen. From any planet, anywhere in the universe. Hal being the first of a species (human) that no Green Lantern Corp member ever gave credit to proves that.

Remember, ANYONE can be chosen doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

It doesn't say Anyone WILL be Chosen, or Everyone CAN be Chosen. Those would have been misleading.

Oh, and don't forget about this image, too; more than likely it will be artwork for toys and such:

12064L.jpg

I'm hoping for something around these lines for a teaser poster. Maybe one of you resident photoshop experts can actually make the concept look presentable...

12072L.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the "Anyone can be chosen" tag line might tie into some sort of promotional contest too. It would make sense and be good publicity.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I think that artwork is just fine for it's purpose at the Licensing Expo, which is obviously what it's being used for. And Terry's right, the tagline makes sense when you follow the context of the film.

Yes, ANYONE can be chosen. From any planet, anywhere in the universe. Hal being the first of a species (human) that no Green Lantern Corp member ever gave credit to proves that.

Remember, ANYONE can be chosen doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

It doesn't say Anyone WILL be Chosen, or Everyone CAN be Chosen. Those would have been misleading.

Oh, and don't forget about this image, too; more than likely it will be artwork for toys and such:

12064L.jpg

I'm hoping for something around these lines for a teaser poster. Maybe one of you resident photoshop experts can actually make the concept look presentable...

12072L.jpg

The folks at Unified Gamers Online (UGO) are criticizing the slogan because it leaves the reader to belive that anyone can be chosen, although the well known requirement is that you must fearless. I am sure that this is just a marketing slogan to get consumers to think that they are included in the ranks.

Now if it said "everyone WILL be chosen" we'd all be outside like :awesome: waiting for rings to fly towards us.

No the statement "Anyone can be chosen" means that everone has the same chance to become a Green Lantern, which is really not the case. For example if I put a red, a blue, and a yellow marble in a bag and then blindly choose one, prior to my choosing, any one of the marbles have the chance at being chosen (hence, anyone can be chosen). Now if you really have a requirement (as in the case with green lanterns) before one can be chosen, then in truth, not anyone can be chosen.

oh dear... thats one of the most hideous posters i've ever seen... even the twilight posters at least had SOME quality to it(even if it was photoshop on primary school level...)

Thats not a movie poster. Thats not even teaser poster!

Thats just and advertise target for licensing products relative to green lanter to the fair. Thats all.

The folks at Unified Gamers Online (UGO) are criticizing the slogan because it leaves the reader to belive that anyone can be chosen, although the well known requirement is that you must fearless. I am sure that this is just a marketing slogan to get consumers to think that they are included in the ranks.

That's why I seldom visit that site, I don't need to take someone's opinion as fact.

I guess some people don't have anything better to do than to cause controversy; even when there isn't any to be had.

BTW, I've shown the marketing image with the "Anyone" tagline to a dozen people I work with, none of which read comics or know who Green Lantern is, and they all seem to agree that it has to do with a contest or sweepstakes idea.

Put the words "Anyone Can Be Chosen" on boxes for toys, games, etc... every single kid is going to want it because they think that it makes them a Green Lantern. lol.

People are reading into this WAY too much. It's a marketing promo for MATTEL, for God's sake!

Everybody involved with this film and the few people who have talked about marketing have been huge on the whole "introducing new audiences to the Green Lantern Mythology" thing. Therefore I will bet you anything that the official tagline(s)/slogan(s) will be taken from the GL OATH and other sayings that are from the comics or film. It is not going to be ANYONE CAN BE CHOSEN, lmao.

Put the words ''Anyone Can Be Chosen'' on boxes for toys, games, etc... every single kid is going to want it because they think that it makes them a Green Lantern. lol.

People are reading into this WAY too much. It's a marketing promo for MATTEL, for God's sake!

Everybody involved with this film and the few people who have talked about marketing have been huge on the whole ''introducing new audiences to the Green Lantern Mythology'' thing. Therefore I will bet you anything that the official tagline(s)/slogan(s) will be taken from the GL OATH and other sayings that are from the comics or film. It is not going to be ANYONE CAN BE CHOSEN, lmao.

Doesn't excuse the poor graphic design work. Eeesh.

^ That I won't disagree with you on. But considering that it's not an actual poster and it's attached more to toys/figures than the film... I don't really care what it looks like. I'm just glad to see SOMETHING get released, finally!

For the first teaser poster, I hope that its something like this...

A dark background of space/stars and a vague image of Oa in the distance. Most of the stars are normal colored, except for some green stars that outline the figure of Hal Jordan. You can't actually see him but just the figure and shape of him... along with a ring on his finger, glowing.

A tagline that starts at the top saying:

"LET THOSE WHO WORSHIP EVIL'S MIGHT..."
"BEWARE THE POWER..."

Then below the figure of Hal the title is shown with the logo right beside it. And below the title, the tagline ends:

"OF GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT."

I like a version of the GL OATH like that being used as the tagline for the movie (especially a teaser poster), just because it vaguely portrays the fact that there is not only one Green Lantern, where as "BEWARE MY POWER. GREEN LANTERN'S LIGHT" being used as the tagline kind of gives the idea that it's one man.

Last edited:
saw that marketing/licensing expo stuff for gl. As for the official logo itself its not that bad looking. As for the silly tagline i doubt it has anything to do with the film itself. But more for the toys/games/etc.... portion of things.

^ I could see it being Taco Bell. Would be a switch up and they also are a sister company with Pizza Hut, which would mean "Green Lantern Corps Pizza" or whatever lol.

Superman Returns had it's own pizza with Papa John's and The Dark Knight had it's own pizza with Domino's. Time to give PHut a turn.

U can find discussions about why it could very well be TB that gets the toys instead of McD's or BK earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
I have been reading the write-up on WB Consumer Products division (WBCP) in Global License Magazine and found that they have been doing their homework. They held focus groups for boys age 6 to 7 and 8 to 9 and their parents in four markets: Dallas, Texas, London, England, Mexico City, Mexico, and Sydney, Australia. The findings revealed a strong knowledge and understanding of Green Lantern (moreso than other superheroes) as well as a strong propensity for buying related merchandise. They also found the following trends:

- Boys view Green Lantern as an aspirational character, beliving that they can be chosen as the next Green Lantern (probably explaining why they are using the marketing slogan "Anyone can be Chosen").

- Boys also view Green Lantern as a more creative character than other Superheroes and that he fullfills all of their expectations for a superhero, plus he offers the thrill of something newly discovered (in contrast to predictable characters like The Hulk and Spider-Man).

- Parents believed that Green Lantern is a good role model with a great sense of humor as well as a creative hero, using his imagination as the ultimate super power.

According to the article, Green Lantern already has blockbuster status and the potential to become the most popular superhero film franchises in history based on the widespread global appeal and awareness of the character. Its benchmark comparison is the Harry Potter franchise, which, at six films to date, is the largest grossing film franchise in history at more than $5 billion (with two more films to release). Just to let you know, all of the Batman films plus the Superman films together total a little under $4 billion in gross receipts, yet they are benchmarking Green Lantern against Harry Potter (this should explain why Batman and Superman are standing behind Green Lantern in the "Universe of Opportunities" poster). There is a lot of other stuff in this article and I will mention some other points brought out in another thread. I encourage everyone to read it online here (the article starts on page 60). If you thumb thhrough all of the pages you will note that this is where the images related to the ad campaign slogan "Anyone can be Chosen" and the "A Universe of Opportunities", as well as the magazine cover was found.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"