The Official Lanterns News & Discussion Thread

Kind of curious just how NDA’d this whole thing is, because literally none of the creative team (aside from the actors themselves) have commented on any of the casting/director news that’s been announced.

Magic thing doesn’t necessarily fit this, but I saw her cheering on Jeremy Irvine’s (who as far as I know, she has no connection to) casting a few weeks back, so you never know…

I’m pretty happy that they decided to include Alan. He is such an important character but has been bogged down by retcons and overly complicated origin stories in relation to the Corps.

My favorite takes on Alan Scott are from the fairly recent Earth 2 and Kingdom Come. Alan Scott is cool but Green Lantern only became interesting when Hal and the more sci-fi aspects were introduced.

A number of the very first silver age GL comics came into my possession recently, and I couldn’t even finish them. The old Alan Scott stuff is even worse. I appreciate it, but it’s too outdated for my tastes. Green Lantern only started getting good with Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams.

The Anakin Skywalker-esque fall of Hal Jordan is the central drama for this story, and I think it’s crazy to leave him out. I also really wanted Lethal Weapon in space with a John/Hal bromance. Maybe if this show is a success, it will kickstart the movie production

Given that they don't have Hal, I really hope they take a lot of inspiration from Tomasi's time on the GL Corps book. He proved that the "B-Team" could be just as fun to follow as Hal, imo, as there were times I got into that more than the main Geoff Johns run. From that run, it would be cool to see a Mongul arc here if they're not gonna use him on Superman & Lois, imo. This show has the bigger budget, so they might have a better chance of doing him justice here.

That Tomasi run was awesome!

As glad as I am that they are including Alan Scott cause he is a great character I never liked when they tried to tie him into the Corp. Scott as GL was a different animal and just didn't mesh right. He worked best in JSA as a mentor.

Gonna point into the stands and call my shot like Babe Ruth…

Rami Malek does the voice of Tomar-Re.

Last edited:
Not the GOT alum I was hoping for (Burn Gorman) but what little I saw of him on Outlander seemed pretty damn sinister, so here’s hoping he can pull it off.

He'll always be Brutus to me. But yes, he plays one HELL of a bad guy on Outlander. The only facet of Sinestro I've never seen him play is the "distinguished mentor" aspect, but I'm sure he can pull it off. Also, I'm looking at pictures of him, and I honestly think he can look this part without CGI enhancement. Just give him a bald cap and and paint him red with black hair and some contacts, and he's good to go, lol.

That Tomasi run was awesome!

As glad as I am that they are including Alan Scott cause he is a great character I never liked when they tried to tie him into the Corp. Scott as GL was a different animal and just didn't mesh right. He worked best in JSA as a mentor.

Some of my favorite Alan Scott moments come from volume 3 when he was a friend and mentor to Kyle. That era is often thought of as being Kyle's alone, but it brought interesting developments to Alan, John, and Jade.

So they still haven't cast Jessica? :(
tenor.gif

Magic thing doesn’t necessarily fit this, but I saw her cheering on Jeremy Irvine’s (who as far as I know, she has no connection to) casting a few weeks back, so you never know…

Zatanna, please.

It’s been such a slow trickle of casting that I’m kind of expecting that any day now they’ll just name-drop half a dozen actors at once and, ideally, she would be one of them.
:hehe:

Here's hoping. Also it feels crazy to me that the show will have Sinestro, but no Hal.

Some of my favorite Alan Scott moments come from volume 3 when he was a friend and mentor to Kyle. That era is often thought of as being Kyle's alone, but it brought interesting developments to Alan, John, and Jade.

Him mentoring Kyle was pretty cool. He was always good in the Mentor role.

The cast is pretty underwhelming but I’ll wait to judge. I have faith in this. Greg Berlanti’s OG Green Lantern script is dope, and it also prominently featured Alan Scott (and gave him ties to the Corps)

Alright, enough is enough.

HBO needs to news-dump this show’s entire cast all over me right this second.

Finn Wittrock sets the stage for 'pretty epic,' 'sprawling' Green Lantern series

The face from American Horror Story and Ratched finally broke the streak when Warner Bros. Television cast him as DC Comics figure Guy Gardner, one of multiple Green Lanterns to be featured on HBO Max's upcoming Green Lantern series from showrunner Seth Grahame-Smith.

"This one did kind of fall from the sky," he says. "It's really exciting for me. I'm considering myself a student of the comic book universe right now."

While Wittrock is still researching the Guy character, pouring over various comics, bingeing the animated series, and, yes, even watching the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie, he has seen superheroic entertainment in the past. He feels "people will be really, really pleasantly surprised" by the upcoming show.

"It is really cool how sprawling a storyline it is," Wittrock says. "It's pretty epic. It spans time and space and has something for everyone. It's not your average superhero story."

Wittrock will appear as Guy, a human Green Lantern described previously by the network as "a hulking mass of masculinity" and "an embodiment of 1980s hyper-patriotism" who's "somehow likeable," in the 1984 period of the show opposite the half-alien Lantern Bree Jarta (the actor is currently unknown). But the show, written and executive produced by the Arrowverse's Greg Berlanti, will move to different times and spaces around the cosmos.

Other Lanterns we know will appear on the 10-episode first season so far include Alan Scott (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again's Jeremy Irvine), a closeted gay F.B.I. Agent living on earth in 1941; Jessica Cruz, Sector 2814's first female Lantern; and Simon Baz, Jessica's frequent partner assigned to Earth. Sinestro and Kilowog, two other characters from the Lantern comics, will also feature.

Out of all of these characters, Wittrock admits that Guy is quite the "polarizing figure." While the actor says the show "definitely" maintains his tendency to showboat, he also says he has "a heart of gold."

"He takes on a lot of this show. He's a pretty big part of it," Wittrock says. "I think it's an interesting way in [to the story]. It's not the conventional way in, but I think people might see a side of him they didn't know was there."

Wittrock is on course to start filming the series by the end of the year or just after the new year in 2022. As he readies to experience a visual effects-heavy production for the first time, there's one piece of Lantern lore he couldn't ignore: the 2011 Green Lanternmovie.

Even Reynolds, its star, constantly pokes fun at what has become an ongoing joke within the comic book movie fandom. Its director, Martin Campbell, mentioned in a recent interview with Collider the studio interference that changed the ending of the movie.

"I'm not a comic book fan and the truth is I never should have done it, but I did it because I had never done a comic book film before," the filmmaker admitted.

"It definitely was something that was in my head," Wittrock says after he got cast in the show. "In some ways, it's almost better. I think it offers a chance to reinvent the whole thing and you're not going to have... I mean, no offense to the movie. It is what it is, but you're not going to have people who are dying for the creation of that movie. [The show] can be its own new interpretation."

The fact that this new project is a series also works to their benefit, he adds. "There's a lot of story there. I think maybe it was just too much to fit into a movie. We have the time and the space, thanks to HBO, to really explore a lot of it on a big scale. I think it's going to be a different animal, to be honest."

Jesus, finally something!

At this point I’m starting to wonder if they’re holding off the full cast reveal until FanDome 2…

The brave internet detectives who claim that there is an attempt at an industrial gingercide in Hollywood are gonna crawl out of their holes right?

Any minute now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"