Smallville Green Arrow Series Coming to the CW? (Hartley not attached)

The Incredible Hulk

Bad Hombre
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/cw-nears-pilot-order-to-green-arrow-drama-from-greg-berlanti-and-marc-guggenheim/

TThe CW is finalizing a deal for a pilot order to Arrow, an hourlong superhero drama based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow. It is written and executive produced by The Green Lantern co-writers Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe and Vampire Diaries alum Andrew Kreisberg. I hear that David Nutter will likely direct the project, which takes the comic book character, created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp, and sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics, published by DC Entertainment.....

Everything about the sentence that I bolded frightens me.

This marks the character’s return to the CW where it was a fixture on the Superman-inspired Smallville for several years. Portrayed by Justin Hartley, who is not attached to Arrow, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow was introduced in a 7-episode arc on the show in 2006, with Hartley joining the series as a regular in 2008. Also serving as a bridge between the two shows would be Nutter, who directed the pilot for Smallville.
Seems odd that there would be a show on the very same network as Smallville that could debut just over a year after it went off the air and that they would not use Hartley?

Last edited:
I was in the middle of creating this thread, Hulk.

There's already a thread for this...

:confused:

No there's not.

EDIT:

The one in the Misc TV forum doesnt count. This is most definitely Smallville-related given the character and network (and the fact the show and Hartley's name are all over every article) and it deserves it's own thread here.

Last edited:
Anyway, what I was planning to say was that I'm of two minds of this.

When I first heard they were doing a GA show on the CW without Justin, my initial reaction was, "well, that's stupid." And for what it's worth, I still think it's stupid. I mean, I understand why the creators want to go their own direction (the showrunners are not affiliated with Millar/Gough) and not be tied down to the continuity of Smallville. I get that. Heck, even Gough and Millar themselves went a completely different direction when they initially planned an Aquaman show, so I don't begrudge the writers for going outside the Smallville universe. But if that's the case, why bother doing a Green Arrow show in the first place?

The only reason, in my opinion, anyone ever clamored for a GA show to begin with is because they wanted to see a spinoff of the character as portrayed on Smallville. I know the CW wanted another superhero show to replace SV, but why not use a different character? There are, literally, hundreds of characters in the DCU to choose from. But Ollie was integral to SV for the last half-decade, why re-intro him to CW audiences if you're not going to tie it to the original?

Anyway, what I was planning to say was that I'm of two minds of this.

When I first heard they were doing a GA show on the CW without Justin, my initial reaction was, "well, that's stupid." And for what it's worth, I still think it's stupid. I mean, I understand why the creators want to go their own direction (the showrunners are not affiliated with Millar/Gough) and not be tied down to the continuity of Smallville. I get that. Heck, even Gough and Millar themselves went a completely different direction when they initially planned an Aquaman show, so I don't begrudge the writers for going outside the Smallville universe. But if that's the case, why bother doing a Green Arrow show in the first place?

That's what I was thinking. The body isnt even cold yet on Smallville and they're going to make a series about one of the show's regular cast airing on the same network and NOT use the actor who just played him?

At least with Aquaman, Alan Ritchson had only one appearance on Smallville at that time, so it's not like he was engrained in the viewers conscience as being the character. Hartley was GA for 70 episodes.

The only reason, in my opinion, anyone ever clamored for a GA show to begin with is because they wanted to see a spinoff of the character as portrayed on Smallville. I know the CW wanted another superhero show to replace SV, but why not use a different character? There are, literally, hundreds of characters in the DCU to choose from. But Ollie was integral to SV for the last half-decade, why re-intro him to CW audiences if you're not going to tie it to the original?
Seems stupid. If they want a superhero series that badly (which IMO they should've had ready to go this season to keep the SV audience) there's a literal plethora of other great DCU characters to pick from. If you're going to pick one that was just done, and for the most part done well, expect the audience, who will largely be the same, to want some kind of continuity.

Last edited:
I hope it's not related to Smallville. I loved Hartley as GA but there would be just too much baggage from Smallville if both shows are connected. For one, I never liked Oliver and Chloe together. If this show is related to Smallville then there will of course be a reference to her (if Chloe is not included in the show). I would love a GA show that is based on the comic books where he has an actual relationship with Black Canary. It's the perfect opportunity to do a GA show that is comic book based and not a "new take" or "reimagining". That said, I also don't like the line about the show being set in a new world and not based in comics. Honestly, I think they should have gone with a different superhero altogether in order to avoid the mess.

I hope it's not related to Smallville. I loved Hartley as GA but there would be just too much baggage from Smallville if both shows are connected. For one, I never liked Oliver and Chloe together. If this show is related to Smallville then there will of course be a reference to her (if Chloe is not included in the show). I would love a GA show that is based on the comic books where he has an actual relationship with Black Canary. It's the perfect opportunity to do a GA show that is comic book based and not a "new take" or "reimagining". That said, I also don't like the line about the show being set in a new world and not based in comics. Honestly, I think they should have gone with a different superhero altogether in order to avoid the mess.
I would accept a show like this set outside the Smallville universe too, if they adapted more from the comics, but they're not doing that, they're going to apparently do someting completelly original

I agree that the Green Arrow from Smallville is no longer ripe for his own show. If they were going to do that, they should have done it four years ago.

My point is that they shouldn't do Green Arrow at all. I mean, if you're not using the SV version and you're not using the DC Comics version, than what's the point of calling it a Green Arrow show to begin with?

There a thread for this in misc tv last night. Saw the news. Sounds cool if it and deadman happen I wish both success. As for hartley would be nice to see hin. But since its more then likely be there own take on character there will be differences. Maybe hartley can do a guest spot. Also just caude they say now its a new world/fifferent from comics. If the show goes to seires more likely then not would take things from comics to expand thing like sv did over time.

Actually, i wish more for the last year's announced Sandman tv show

I hope they include Chloe in this, since it's not based on the comic book!

I agree that the Green Arrow from Smallville is no longer ripe for his own show. If they were going to do that, they should have done it four years ago.

My point is that they shouldn't do Green Arrow at all. I mean, if you're not using the SV version and you're not using the DC Comics version, than what's the point of calling it a Green Arrow show to begin with?

Good point.

:doh:
Not Berlanti and Guggenheim again. Between the Green Lantern movie and "No Ordinary Family", those idiots need to be banned from superheroes for life.

I hope this is not connected to Smallville

Last edited:
I know the CW wanted another superhero show to replace SV, but why not use a different character? There are, literally, hundreds of characters in the DCU to choose from. But Ollie was integral to SV for the last half-decade, why re-intro him to CW audiences if you're not going to tie it to the original?

Let's see Oliver Queen is a rich white male who likes the ladies. Given that the CW is interested I can see why they might pick him since take away his hero identity his character profile fits most CW shows. I am guessing a CW based Green Arrow show would be more drama then action/adventure.

:confused:

No there's not.

EDIT:

The one in the Misc TV forum doesnt count. This is most definitely Smallville-related given the character and network (and the fact the show and Hartley's name are all over every article) and it deserves it's own thread here.

I'm sorry, but how does it not count?

They've stated this new show has no connection to Smallville... so why does a thread in the Smallville forums magically count as more important than a thread in the Misc TV forum :confused:

Don't get me wrong, my post in that thread was all about why I think it SHOULD be JH in the role... I just don't see the neccesity for both threads to have been created...

They've stated this new show has no connection to Smallville... so why does a thread in the Smallville forums magically count as more important than a thread in the Misc TV forum :confused:

*likes*

I'm in the same boat where I would like Hartley in the role, but if they actually did do another show in the SV universe, it would be a much more interesting series based on John Jones. But chances are they would make him shapeshift into a male model who can't act just to grab the CW audience.

The show more likely then not will not be assoicated with smallville and its take on characters. As much as it would be nice to have that. SV took the character from lone archer, accepted hero, and unmasked him already and he got married. What else would a new show be able to add to the smallville take. GA sv take would have been better to have happened in season 7/8 range of smallville and crossovers work nicely between the too.

Plus with the show over, and its production staff, and crew off doing other things, sets and all that dismantled and taken away/stored. Any future dc shows are more then likely going to be its own thing. Just like for example current animated shows. The last few batman series been its own thing, young justice its own thing. Its easier to believe it will be its own thing. So the producers/creators can make there own stories and tell there own take on character. Then being stackled to using a take from another person.

Personally i dont really see it being wrong being a whole new take and new direction on the character. This way we can see more on ollie's beginings, see more of his hero career, and get a better chance at seeing his villains and allies too. Which like sv had issues with rights and all that.

But being its own show they could probably have more rights to use roy/conner/mia, and see black canery, and villains of his own. This also goes to the silly comment about being different from comics. I doubt that means they wont take things from comics or alter the character so much it isnt green arrow at all.

They probably just mean they want to take the character in new directions put there own spin on things like smallville did with it takes on dc characters. While also throwing in winks/nods of comic related things. Plus since the show is only in development stage who knows what other producers will come on board, along with any dc folks serving as producers/writers would bring to the table.

I'm sorry, but how does it not count?

Don't get me wrong, my post in that thread was all about why I think it SHOULD be JH in the role... I just don't see the neccesity for both threads to have been created...

Didnt say this one was "more important" just that given the character involved, the Network, and the fact that Smallville and Hartley's names are in ever news article, that it deserved a forum here too. Would rather discuss in the SV community than the larger Misc TV forum and read all the usual trolling that occurs there about how horrible Smallville was when meanwhile the only reason anyone at CW even cares about GA is due to his and Hartley's popularity on Smallville.

*likes*

I'm in the same boat where I would like Hartley in the role, but if they actually did do another show in the SV universe, it would be a much more interesting series based on John Jones. But chances are they would make him shapeshift into a male model who can't act just to grab the CW audience.

Did Phil Morris strike you as a "male model?" :confused:

Last edited:
Really?

Do they just walk into the pitch room and say hmm wonder how we can alienate the Smallville fanbase some more?

Well its not about fans. Really there. Cast/crew sets/props are all gone, destoryed, sold, and off doing other things. Any new dc show was more then likely going to go in its own direction and be its own thing. Just like dc animation.

I think he's saying it the hypotheical MM series, Morris is out and we find out in the Pilot that MM is using another shape one in the form of a male model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"