• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

X-Men The Official MCU X-Men News and Discussion Thread

I don't know that any tv budget is big enough to fully do the X-Men justice. Not with how many completely unique superpowers would need to be involved.
The only "big budget" would be Storm. All the others have been done on TV for ages. As I was writing this...The Boys has proven that X-Men can be done just fine.

Jean - Telepathy and TK? Nothing new.
21ymiuholw0b1.gif

Cyclops - Glorified heat vision.
tumblr_pz4rzkz9sE1yt1axho2_r1_540.gif

Storm - Lightning
8671061-44298494-6948-4e8d-a672-ef1cfb61565f.gif

New Mutants show? Id be 100% on board.
X-Men show? hell no, they deserve a movie. And some X-Men can pop-up on tv and other tv spinoffs, that would flesh them out. but the X-Men are the A-list, so they deserve to be on the big screen. Firstly, at least.

Given how Feige has handled Spider-Man's franchise after Sony made a deal with Marvel Studios, I'm kind of hesitant to see what he'll do with the X-Men.

My biggest concern is that he'll focus on obscure characters just for the sake of being "different" from previous portrayals. So many fans have been waiting to see the likes of Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, and others get the spotlight after they were sidelined for other characters (e.g., Wolverine, Magneto, Mystique).
I don't think he'll have to go to the same length with the X-Men myself. Doing something even a little more faithful to the comics is enough to differentiate from the Fox films and you can't avoid using the big guns like Cyclops and Storm.

Storm and Cyclops are given at this point. Jean is probably going to be there. The Wolverine is a main character in this year's mcu movie, so i can see them resting the character for the first film and save him for the sequel. A lot of the mutants we haven't seen in the movies in a long time like Rogue, Gambit and Iceman have a big chance of being in the main roster of the first film. Beast and Colossus, I wouldn't be surprised if they are saved for the sequel. Nightcrawler too.

For me, it will be a lot of interesting, if they decided to have Psylocke and Angel in the first film as X-Men. It would be enough to differentiate it to the Fox movies and X-Men '97, as those two were never in the main roster. If there's a X-Men '97 effect happening, Jubilee and Bishop are likely to be included and both would also be enough to differentiate the reboot from the previous X-Men films.

I can't see them having the main roster of X-Men Dark Phoenix (Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Beast, Nightcrawler, Professor) in the first film. I also can't see them completely having the same line up as X-Men '97 as that could be boring. If they want to show someone really obscure to the general public - Forge, Dazzler, Polaris, Sunfire, Thunderbird, Cecilia Reyes and Banshee would be unexpected choices. Emma would be an unexpected choice as well though she's more popular than those characters and I can see the internet buzzing over her inclusion.

:xmen:

X-Men show? hell no, they deserve a movie. And some X-Men can pop-up on tv and other tv spinoffs, that would flesh them out. but the X-Men are the A-list, so they deserve to be on the big screen. Firstly, at least.
A New Mutants show (or something else like it), would be an unteresting way to expand the X-Men mythos and focus on smaller scale stuff in ways that the movies might not be able to. That way you can reserve the heavy hitters for the movies and utilize other underappreciated characters or teams for TV. The school aspect of the X-Men is something the movies never really get to explore all that much (understandbly so) so I'd be all for a TV show focusing on those aspects.

At this point I'll take anything if it has Gambit in it not dead.

The only "big budget" would be Storm. All the others have been done on TV for ages. As I was writing this...The Boys has proven that X-Men can be done just fine.

Jean - Telepathy and TK? Nothing new.
21ymiuholw0b1.gif

Cyclops - Glorified heat vision.
tumblr_pz4rzkz9sE1yt1axho2_r1_540.gif

Storm - Lightning
8671061-44298494-6948-4e8d-a672-ef1cfb61565f.gif
:up: I don't know the budget for The Boys but it has varied and convincing superhero action for a show.

A New Mutants show (or something else like it), would be an unteresting way to expand the X-Men mythos and focus on smaller scale stuff in ways that the movies might not be able to. That way you can reserve the heavy hitters for the movies and utilize other underappreciated characters or teams for TV. The school aspect of the X-Men is something the movies never really get to explore all that much (understandbly so) so I'd be all for a TV show focusing on those aspects.
If the early X-Men films are a success I’d love to see the larger scale expansion of the school with Emma making the switch from Hellfire Club villain (has to start that way) to run it. We could get some of the quirkier student characters that way. That could work very well in a show.

I'm not really sure a MCU X-Men show could have action set pieces like the ones we already saw in Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Eternals. :xmen: They might pull it off in some action scenes but ultimately all set pieces are gonna need blockbuster movie production values, to be on par with those movies - which cost a lot of money. Disney isn't going to spend $400 million in a X-Men tv show, just so it could look on par with the Avengers. If Disney has to spend that amount of money, it would be for a theaterical movie. :xmen:

A Mcu X-Men show might look more expensive than Agent of Shield and countless DC shows, but it'd be hard to keep the blockbuster-like production value in all of the episodes. I don't think I've seen a TV show that looks as expensive as the biggest blockbuster movies out there. If there any, I'm sure the group for that is a select few. The Boys, which I've seen all seasons, don't look as expensive as something like Madness of the Multiverse and Thor: The Dark World. They've done a decent job for a streaming series, but production wise, the show doesn't look like a movie to me.

Other comparisons: Star Wars Disney+ shows looked like they've received 1/4 of the budget of The Force Awakens. The Lords of the Rings spin-off doesn't look as expensive as The Hobbit trilogy.

The Boys cost $11mill per episode.

X-Men tv series is doable on a 11mill per episode budget. Fans are interested in a good tv show. It doesnt need to look ULTRA glam as if its a movie.

Lets not act as if X-Men would be getting 22 episode seasons. They'd likely do 6-10. So even if you do GoT budget which was $15-20mill thats $160mill for a season.

$400mill is beyond insane to even put out there as needed

:up: I don't know the budget for The Boys but it has varied and convincing superhero action for a show.

Yeah but the show focuses on non-powered characters so they can conserve the amount of screentime devoted to effect-heavy superpowers. It's actually a pretty perfect premise to organically keep the budget down.

With a mutants focused show, I assume they would have to have a bunch of teenage drama to fill the time, so a better comparison would be with Generation V. I liked Generation V and would be on board for a mutants show similar to that...but would the Marvel TV writers actually be able to write compelling enough drama to make up for long stretches of screentime with no superpowered action? That's the question.

Last edited:
Yeah but the show focuses on non-powered characters so they can conserve the amount of screentime devoted to effect-heavy superpowers. It's actually a pretty perfect premise to organically keep the budget down.

With a mutants focused show, I assume they would have to have a bunch of teenage drama to fill the time, so a better comparison would be with Generation V. I liked Generation V and would be on board for a mutants show similar to that...but would the Marvel TV writers actually be able to write compelling enough drama to make up for long stretches screentime with no superpowered action? That's the question.
X-Men isnt a straight 2hr film of nothing but powers. It isnt even a book that is a straight action book. The characters have lives that they actually live.

Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis - no X-men used their powers in the entire first issue. They were all just in the Mansion talking.

The Boys cost $11mill per episode.

X-Men tv series is doable on a 11mill per episode budget. Fans are interested in a good tv show. It doesnt need to look ULTRA glam as if its a movie.

Lets not act as if X-Men would be getting 22 episode seasons. They'd likely do 6-10. So even if you do GoT budget which was $15-20mill thats $160mill for a season.

$400mill is beyond insane to even put out there as needed
But see we were talking about a X-Men tv series that visually look on par with the Mcu movies. In my preference, the Avengers. Yes story matters. But remember X-Men are superpowered people and with the right amount of budget, there's a lot to be done.

There aren't a lot you can do with 11 million per episode. I watched the Boys and it always make me wonder why some of the Seven are rarely part of the action. Electricity, throwing people in the air, glowing eyes, these are basic vfx/stunt work that aren't hard to pull off. But action scenes that require several days to finish? Can they do a highway chase scene without looking dodgy (Hawkeye the show). What about the Sentinels, can they be featured in every episode?

They wouldn't do able to do all of those for every single. Even if its just 6 to 10 episodes. They most likely save the big pieces for the premiere or the big finale - which feels quite limiting.

If you think $400 million is beyond incase, then just look at what Marvel Studios have accomplished with $200 million plus budget for She Hulk ($225m) and Secret Invasion ($212m)... the action/production values in those shows aren't even close to a highly well made MCU movie. If you think they can off X-Men tv show under a "TV budget", I highly doubt they could. If the mutants are just gonna sit there in their classrooms with their casual clothes on and talk for ten minutes straight okay, maybe they don't need a large budget.

Last edited:
But see we were talking about a X-Men tv series that visually look on par with the Mcu movies. In my preference, the Avengers. Yes story matters. But remember X-Men are superpowered people and with the right amount of budget, there's a lot to be done.

There aren't a lot you can do with 11 million per episode. I watched the Boys and it always make me wonder why some of the Seven are rarely part of the action. Electricity, throwing people in the air, glowing eyes, these are basic vfx/stunt work that aren't hard to pull off. But action scenes that require several days to finish? Can they do a highway chase scene without looking dodgy (Hawkeye the show). What about the Sentinels, can they be featured in every episode?

They wouldn't do able to do all of those for every single. Even if its just 6 to 10 episodes. They most likely save the big pieces for the premiere or the big finale - which feels quite limiting.

If you think $400 million is beyond incase, then just look at what Marvel Studios have accomplished for $200 million plus budget for She Hulk and Secret Invasion... the action in those shows aren't even close to a MCU movie. If you think they can off X-Men tv show under aTVbudget, I highly doubt they could.
Not if the point the point of the show is to be the opposite of a blockbuster movie. If they want to succeed with these shows, they need to be focusing on other things that play better to the TV medium. Legion was a pretty good show and it's major strengths were character development and storytelling, not vfx . These shows don't need to be the equivilant of a $200 million movie.

X-Men isnt a straight 2hr film of nothing but powers. It isnt even a book that is a straight action book. The characters have lives that they actually live.

Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis - no X-men used their powers in the entire first issue. They were all just in the Mansion talking.
But see, you would have to confine them to stories/scenarios that won't require a big budget/stunt works/tons of vfx.

And for an ideal X-Men tv show, is that something people really want to see.

You've only given a scenario where a $11 million budget per episode is doable.

If you think $400 million is beyond incase, then just look at what Marvel Studios have accomplished with $200 million plus budget for She Hulk ($225m) and Secret Invasion ($212m)... the action/production values in those shows aren't even close to a highly well made MCU movie. If you think they can off X-Men tv show under a "TV budget", I highly doubt they could. If the mutants are just gonna sit there in their classrooms with their casual clothes on and talk for ten minutes straight okay, maybe they don't need a large budget.

Why would every episode of an X-Men show need a highway chase scene or Sentinels? Thats like saying every episode of Game of Thrones needs a massive Dragon fight.

There's a large difference between trying to render a realistic looking 8ft Green human than a power. Secret Invasion had a movie budget and still looked like crap. $11mill an episode isnt going to be looking like a cheap television show from The CW. The look of a show is reliant on the people behind the camera. Star Trek Discovery cost $8mill an episode and I dare you to say that it looks cheap or cheaper than any of the movies lol. It looks better than most Marvel films imo.

Your expectations on X-Men arent realisitc, even for a film when we had how many films that didnt feature any of what you suggested?

But see, you would have to confine them to stories/scenarios that won't require a big budget/stunt works/tons of vfx.

And for an ideal X-Men tv show, is that something people really want to see.

You've only given a scenario where a $11 million budget per episode is doable.

I'm being realistic. You're expecting huge battles every 20 minutes that involve every single X-men with no scenes where the characters actually speak to one another in a set that doesnt have action.

Even in a X-men animated series we didnt have EVERY SINGLE PERSON using their powers in every single episode or even feature in every single episode.

Looks as "good" as the MCU is a really low bar to have....

There have been many live action shows about people with super powers. Prestige levels of production is not really needed. Alphas is about one of the best X-men shows you could get, and it was VERY low budget.

I watched the latest hunger games movie last night to get a vibe for the writer. Here are some thoughts.

1. He’s a good writer! Definitely not a Kinberg
2. He can handle a movie with lots of different characters with lots of viewpoints that aren’t 100% right or wrong. He can also write women, at least a lot better than first class where they kept taking their clothes off all the time
3. I’m not sure how he will handle an ensemble which is hard for anyone. A film with eight main characters is really hard but we’ll see
4. I think we’ll see “gay rep” but like…tumbler in the early millennium. Like guys putting their foreheads together and talking about being “closer than brothers” and it’ll be up to the audience to interpret that as gay which is probably all we can expect.
5. Finally, he’s a white well educated British man from a wealthy background so I think we’ll see classism more than race and sexuality based bigotry like beau (demayo) would have done. This isn’t a 100% bad thing, if you’ve ready Owen Jones’ chavs you can see how all bigotries are connected to classism and I guess that’s easier to sell than other bigotries. Anyway my point is I reckon the hellfire club will be the big bad in the first film, maybe more specifically Donald Pierce. That way, it relates to the left because the baddies are millionaires and it appeals to the right because it’s a wealthy minority controlling everything.

Anyway just some thoughts

Ah, wealthy white man from TERF island. No reason at all to be concerned there.

The problem is always going to go back to my concerns with a CCP approved X-men. Fighting to be part of society vs fighting to be accepted for who you are is a subtle, but very important distinction.

I've come to another realization.

Considering how dismal the box office is right now, and from the looks of how well Deadpool & Wolverine is doing in presales, I really, really, really pray that the numbers don't poison Disney into thinking that Wolverine needs to be every where.

Just keep it cute and within reason.

We've been waiting for this version of the X-Men for so long. A version that looks more like the comics we all love, a version that exists within a much larger landscape (the MCU).

And who could have predicted it would happen right when the movie industry was on its last legs...

This is what I fear for the games.

And the worst thing is that this will only piss off X-Men fans. The average moviegoer and gamer will love Wolverine leading the X-Men stories. Especially those people who still jerk off to Hugh Jackman.

I mean, the Deadpool trailers already sold Wolverine as THE X-Man.

I won't be surprised.

I rolled my eyes so hard at at that line in the trailer.

I'll tell you what, if they regulate Jackman's Wolverine as a character in the Deadpool corner of the MCU and just keep him there with Wade, I can digest that.

But yeah, having Wolverine at the front of the first MCU mutant movie and a solo video game gives me pause.

We've been waiting for this version of the X-Men for so long. A version that looks more like the comics we all love, a version that exists within a much larger landscape (the MCU).

And who could have predicted it would happen right when the movie industry was on its last legs...

Ghostbusters flopping, Furiosa not making any waves and then look who comes sashaying in to save the box office.

giphy.gif

This is why we have to keep being vigilant and vocal on social media. Wolverine is cool, but we can't have him shoved down our throats again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"