The Official NPD Monthly Sales Numbers Thread

^^ yep. :(

SE should have made it multi plat. THEN it would probably have charted and possibly be a big Holiday seller.

but.......noooooo.............

Should've been released on multi platforms simultaneously.

Hell i'm a PS4 owner and i really want to play Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Well, we don't know how big mS's exclusivity check was. Maybe the amount they paid was enough or more than enough to cover the loss of the amount that would've been made with the Ps4 version also having been released simultaneously.

I doubt it. I heard that it allegedly did 400K worldwide its first week. That number is abysmal. The last game sold 3.4M in 4 weeks by comparison and that number failed to meet SE's expectations. I highly doubt RoTR will even get half of that within the month. It'll be lucky to pull in 1M. This was an AWFUL deal for MS. They paid big bucks for exclusivity and its not translating into sales for them. Its their deal which prevented SE from moving it out of its launch window. The way SE managed the publishing of this game has to be one of the biggest blunder of this console gen. Should have been on PS4/PS3/PC and delayed till January

These are the console numbers:

PS4: 1.539M
XB1: 1.296M
WiiU: 240K

WiiU is on life support at this point

ETA: Just noticed that CoD did better on XB1. Seems Sony's exclusivity agreement doesnt seem to matter either. They are trying hard to make PS4 the home of CoD but it didnt happen this year

Last edited:
It's been on life support since just after its launch.

It'll be certified dead soon but I look forward to the NX (although I know very little about it).

I knew Tomb Raider wasn't going to do super hot, but I was hoping it'd at least chart. It's really a great game.

It's a big shame for its future prospects. As an Xbox guy I don't care about the exclusivity, just want it to do well enough to guarantee we keep getting great TR games and that they compete on quality with the other best games of their time.

Well, maybe Sony will buy exclusivity to the third one

I look forward to playing it when it comes out on a console I own.

You don't have a 360 :D

[blackout]I actually thought you had a One. Didn't you at one point in time?[/blackout]

I doubt it. I heard that it allegedly did 400K worldwide its first week. That number is abysmal. The last game sold 3.4M in 4 weeks by comparison and that number failed to meet SE's expectations. I highly doubt RoTR will even get half of that within the month. It'll be lucky to pull in 1M. This was an AWFUL deal for MS. They paid big bucks for exclusivity and its not translating into sales for them. Its their deal which prevented SE from moving it out of its launch window. The way SE managed the publishing of this game has to be one of the biggest blunder of this console gen. Should have been on PS4/PS3/PC and delayed till January

These are the console numbers:

PS4: 1.539M
XB1: 1.296M
WiiU: 240K

WiiU is on life support at this point

ETA: Just noticed that CoD did better on XB1. Seems Sony's exclusivity agreement doesnt seem to matter either. They are trying hard to make PS4 the home of CoD but it didnt happen this year
damn...that is a pretty huge drop but I think the fairer comparison would be TR the remastered version vs rotr, since TR 2013 came out on consoles in their last year of the gen, with sizable install bases.

courtesy of gaf

December retail game sales are down 1% year over year.

For the full year, sales were flat at $13.1 billion.

Software:

Note: Bundled sales are not reflected in the platform rankings.

December:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  3. Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  5. NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  6. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  7. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  8. Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  9. Minecraft: Story Mode: A Telltale Game Series (Microsoft/TellTale | 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  10. FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Full Year:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Madden NFL 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  3. Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One) 360, PS3, PC)
  6. NBA 2K16 (Take-Two | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. Minecraft (Microsoft | 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  8. FIFA 16 (Electronic Arts | PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  9. Mortal Kombat X (Warner Bros | PS4, Xbox One)
  10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Notes:
- PS4 sold the most third party software this year.
- Super Mario Maker has surpassed 1 million copies physical + digital.

Hardware:

PS4: Top selling console

Notes:
- The PS4 was also the best selling platform of the year.
- “After 26 months of sales, the combined cumulative sales of Xbox One and PS4 exceeds the 26 month total of the PS3 and Xbox 360 by 47 percent,” said Callahan. “The lead from the prior generation has expanded due to the strong PS4 and Xbox One 2015 holiday, going from 38 percent by the end of October, growing to 47 percent by the end of November, and maintaining 47 percent higher sales by the end of December.”
- [Console Revenue] "PS3, 360, Wii hardware dropped 71 percent YOY in December. Portables dropped 32 percent. New gen up 4 percent."

You don't have a 360 :D

[blackout]I actually thought you had a One. Didn't you at one point in time?[/blackout]

Nope. Occasionally I'll talk about games coming out for it, but I haven't actually been able to justify a purchase for it just yet. Maybe if Scalebound and Recore impress me I'll pull the trigger.

RE: This month, GTAV is an absolute monster.

Last edited:
- PS4 sold the most third party software this year.
which is exactly why they havent been worried about not releasing any big 1st party games in 2015. Crazy

Nope. Occasionally I'll talk about games coming out for it, but I haven't actually been able to justify a purchase for it just yet. Maybe if Scalebound and Recore impress me I'll pull the trigger.

RE: This month, GTAV is an absolute monster.

minecraft too yo

Software:
Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, 360, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)

Hardware:

PS4: Best selling platform, up year over year.
gaf

Its crazy that GTAV not only still charts but its that high on the list. It seems like everyone already has it especially since its been out 2 and a half years

I think it's fair to say that GTA 6 is going to destroy nearly all video game sales records set, as its previous game did.

Software:
Far Cry: Primal (PS4, Xbox One) - Beating Far Cry 4 on a launch aligned basis
Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC) - This is less than 351K copies
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm (PS4, Xbox One) - The PS4 version of this game alone outsold Street Fighter V
NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
Lego Marvel Avengers (PS4, 360, Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
Street Fighter V (PS4) - Street Fighter IV opened to 849K, which this is vastly below
Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS)
Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
Notes:
- Fire Emblem would rank at #3 if it was combined SKUs, with over triple the debut sales of Awakening, which did 117K at retail. It did nearly 400K between digital and retail.
- Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow broke the eShop first week sales record previously held by Super Smash Bros 3DS.

Hardware:

PS4: Best selling platform, up year over year.
gaf

march, courtesy of gaf

Software:

Software:

1. Tom Clancy's The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  2. Far Cry: Primal (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U)
  4. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  5. UFC 2 (PS4, Xbox One)
  6. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  7. Pokken Tournament (Wii U)
  8. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PSe)
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3)
Notes:
- “Tom Clancy’s The Division had the best launch month for any Tom Clancy title to-date, having sold 40 percent more than the next best-selling Tom Clancy title, March 2008’s Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 when adjusted for number of days sold within the month,” said Callahan.
- “Stemming from strong launches of Tom Clancy’s The Division and Far Cry: Primal, Ubisoft is the number one software publisher for Q1 2016, with a unit sales increase of close to 130 percent, and a dollar sales increase of over 200 percent.”
- For Portable software, unit sales and revenue were down 19 percent and 16 percent, respectively, in March 2016 compared to last year.”
- The PS4 was the #1 platform for software sales.
- Zelda was No. 3 by SKU. Pokken Tournament was No. 4 by SKU.

Hardware:

PS4: #1 platform

Notes:
- “Portable hardware sales had the highest dollar sales volume decline versus last March, followed closely by [current-generation] consoles,” said Callahan.
- “Seventh generation consoles had a steep percentage decline of 78 percent, though those sales now represent only 2 percent of the month’s sales.”

also can we please get this thread stickied? this thread and the e3 thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"