The Official NPD Monthly Sales Numbers Thread

Eh, I don't the E3 thread needs a sticky, but yeah, this can warrant it I guess. Doesn't seem like many care but sales are important to the industry.

Eh, I don't the E3 thread needs a sticky, but yeah, this can warrant it I guess. Doesn't seem like many care but sales are important to the industry.
thanks

also, for the e3 thread, to clarify I think it should be stickied only from this point in time, to a week after the actual e3. it's arguably the most important event in electronics of the year, so for this time period i think it should be stickied and then after that it should be floated again.

April retail game sales are down 15% year over year.

Hardware was down 23% year over year.

Retail game sales were down 21% year over year.

Software:

1. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
  2. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
  3. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  4. Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. Minecraft (Xbox One, 360, PS4, PS3)
  7. Quantum Break (Xbox One)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  9. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  10. Star Fox: Zero (Wii U)

Notes:
- Game sales couldn't keep up with Mortal Kombat X last year, which pretty much carried the industry itself.
- “Ratchet & Clank had the best launch of any game in the Ratchet & Clank franchise when adjusting for the number of days sold in the data month, with sales recapturing success not seen for the franchise since the height of the PlayStation 2 era,” said Callahan.
- “The launch of Dark Souls III marked the strongest launch in the franchise’s history,” said Callahan. “Sales for Dark Souls III nearly doubled that of its predecessor, Dark Souls II, when adjusted for days in the market.”
- "[By individual SKUs], Star Fox Zero for the Wii U was No. 5, while the Japanese role-playing game Bravely Second was No. 9. It’s worth noting that this is different from the NPD’s overall top 10, which combines platforms and things like special editions for a game’s sales."

Hardware:

"Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all declined to comment on the performance of their hardware."

Notes:
- “Hardware sales declined 21 percent compared to April 2015, with the majority of the decline due to a 19 percent or $30.4 million decline in console hardware sales,” said Callahan. “Compared to last year, dollar spending for [current-generation] consoles decreased by 15 percent with an over 70 percent decline in [last-generation] consoles. Portables also dropped by $11.3 million in sales over last April.”
- Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are still trending 40 percent higher than the cumulative sales after the same 30-month period compared to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
source

Genuinely surprised DS3 is number one.

It is, of course. I just didn't see it happening. I didn't even consider it as a possibility to be honest.

Also kind of surprised Star Fox snuck in there.

It is, of course. I just didn't see it happening. I didn't even consider it as a possibility to be honest.

Also kind of surprised Star Fox snuck in there.
yeah, i wasn't sure how well it would bode on npd either, but i'm very pleasantly surprised to see it be #1.

i wonder how well Uc4 will fair in may's npd.

yeah, i wasn't sure how well it would bode on npd either, but i'm very pleasantly surprised to see it be #1.

i wonder how well Uc4 will fair in may's npd.

I can't imagine there's anything else that will beat it out for #1 in May. The only other thing I could think could even come close is maybe Doom, but I doubt that'll make it.

EDIT: To #1, I mean. Doom has such good word-of-mouth right now and brand recognition that I think it'll be carried to list, unless reviews slaughter it for some reason.

source

Genuinely surprised DS3 is number one.

Why is that a surprise? DS3 was by far the biggest game released that month and there really wasnt a whole lot in April

I can't imagine there's anything else that will beat it out for #1 in May. The only other thing I could think could even come close is maybe Doom, but I doubt that'll make it.

EDIT: To #1, I mean. Doom has such good word-of-mouth right now and brand recognition that I think it'll be carried to list, unless reviews slaughter it for some reason.

yeah Doom wont be #1. I think the more interesting stat will be whether the XB1 version of Doom sells more than PS4. I imagine most PS4 owners will be getting Uncharted 4 over Doom and if thats the case, that allows the XB1 version an oppurtunity to sell more copies

Last edited:

you're talking about Uc4, right? At first i thought you were talking about Das3 and how it was #1.

Will the PS4.5/Neo sales be shown separately when it launches? I'll be interested to see how it does. I'm probably getting it.

Will the PS4.5/Neo sales be shown separately when it launches? I'll be interested to see how it does. I'm probably getting it.

you'll be getting the Neo??

then we can welcome you to the PS4 club?? :woot:

The software will play the same on regular PS4s as they will on Neo. If you're asking about hardware wise, maybe? I do think they separate the 3DS revisions, but I guess it will be determined more by how they classify Neo: as a full revision or just a re-release ala Slim/Super Slim consoles, which I believe were never counted separately.

you'll be getting the Neo??

then we can welcome you to the PS4 club?? :woot:
As long as it is a good 4k media player then yes.

The software will play the same on regular PS4s as they will on Neo. If you're asking about hardware wise, maybe? I do think they separate the 3DS revisions, but I guess it will be determined more by how they classify Neo: as a full revision or just a re-release ala Slim/Super Slim consoles, which I believe were never counted separately.
Hardware yes, ok thanks. Hopefully they give it a separate category, it's just for my own interest so doesn't matter that much.

As long as it is a good 4k media player then yes.

Hardware yes, ok thanks. Hopefully they give it a separate category, it's just for my own interest so doesn't matter that much.

ah, ok. hope you come on board!

ah, ok. hope you come on board!
The situation has changed as of late unfortunately now that my mate is upgrading to the Neo and with the Scorpio being announced. I would only be buying for exclusive single player games which I can play at his (and is more fun that way) and for 4k media playback which the Scorpio looks like it will have.

The situation has changed as of late unfortunately now that my mate is upgrading to the Neo and with the Scorpio being announced. I would only be buying for exclusive single player games which I can play at his (and is more fun that way) and for 4k media playback which the Scorpio looks like it will have.

that's ok. you have to do what's best for you.

I'm still not sure what path to take - whether to upgrade my PS4 to the Neo or the Scorpio.

most likely, I'll stay within the PS family unless MS completely wows me at E3.

I don't see myself owning both, though.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/09/may-2016-npd-uncharted-finds-its-fortune-ahead-of-doom-overwatch/

PS4 #1 for May 2016

Hardware: $137.7 million (down 10 percent from $153.1 million in 2015)
Software: $241.9 million (up 18 percent from $204.7 million in 2015)
Accessories: $149 million (down 2 percent from $151.5 million in 2015)

1.Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
2.Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
3.Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
4.Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
5.Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
6.Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
7.NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
8.Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
9.MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
10.Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)

How the hell are GTA V and Minecraft still charting and so high? Both have been out for years and you'd think most gamers that would want those would have them by now. Minecraft's numbers are even more surprising and impressive bc they dont account for mobile, where a big chunk of sales come from. I just noticed that it sold better on PS4. I guess expected giving the install base but oddly ironic as well considering MS owns it and its doing better than its own platform

Last edited:
Glad to see Doom up there, very well deserved. Very surprised to see Battleborn on the list. I haven't played the game, but I was under the impression it sold super poorly, and I know it's been on sale several places for super cheap just weeks after release.

How the hell are GTA V and Minecraft still charting and so high?

Every day there's always a new group of 17 year olds able to buy GTA.

Similarly there's always a new group of kids coming up to play video games, and Minecraft is there waiting for them.

Glad to see Doom up there, very well deserved. Very surprised to see Battleborn on the list. I haven't played the game, but I was under the impression it sold super poorly, and I know it's been on sale several places for super cheap just weeks after release.

This might be an anecdotal sort of thing, but I think Battleborn had a bigger marketing push. It will be very telling to see where they chart in June though.

Every day there's always a new group of 17 year olds able to buy GTA.

Similarly there's always a new group of kids coming up to play video games, and Minecraft is there waiting for them.

yeah but hundreds of thousands every month in the US alone? Thats crazy. Besides you really think teens turning 17 is making a significant impact on the sales of an old game? The ESRB was just coming up when I was younger but if a teen wanted GTA V, its not like its difficult or illegal to get an older family member or friend to buy it. I dont think I buy that there are droves of teens that have been waiting 2-3 years to go out and buy it legally for themselves

ETA: more numbers

PS4 Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 207,300 (+35.8% from last May)

XBO Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 107,100 (-23.3% from last May)

WIU Hardware:
May 2016 NPD: 25,300 (-40.7% from last May)

Last edited:
NPD for June is in and its the first month of them tracking digital sales. They've also made changes and IMO, they suck. The numbers now track total revenue, not actual copies sold.

1. Overwatch*
  2. Grand Theft Auto V
  3. Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  4. Doom 2016
  5. Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst
  6. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  7. NBA 2K16
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  9. Destiny: The Taken King
  10. Minecraft

http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/21/june-2016-npd-overwatch-still-no-1-during-summer-drought/

Go Doom, love to see it's still in the top. But I agree, I do not like the change. I get where they're coming from for it, but it really needs to be total copies sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"