The Official Recommendations Thread

VenomSpits said:
anyone pick up Mnemovore?
it was stuck to one of the issues i picked up today so i was wondering.. seeing as how i now have issue four.. if perhaps the series is as good as it appears to be from what i have read...

I'd like to recommend the following.

Rex Mundi

Rex Mundi is a quest for the Holy Grail told as a murder mystery. It is a tale of sin, murder and redemption in an alternate-history Paris where magic is real and the Catholic Church never lost its grip on power. This critically acclaimed volume follows Doctor Julien Sauniere as he investigates the theft of a medieval scroll from a Paris church. He stumbles onto a series of horrific ritual murders and an ancient secret society somehow connected to the mysterious scroll. They must not slip back into the shadows, or they will kill again...

That description was stolen from the internet because I don't believe I could have summed it up any better. Having said that, I will add that Rex Mundi is arguably the most intelligent written comic I've had the pleasure to read in over 30 years of comic reading. The art is sweet, and the writing is even better. Not for everyone... for readers with brains only.

The first 12 issues are available in 2 TPBs.

Rex Mundi Volume 1: The Guardian Of The Temple
1582403414.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Rex Mundi Volume 2: The River Underground
1582404798.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These two trades will catch you up to issue 12. Issue #13 is still on the racks, and #14 comes out in September.

:)

I gotta say that looks good but I'm hesitant. Is it the type of book that makes the Church look bad? I'm not much into that (as I'm a christian myself). But I will say the premise sounds good!

I don't think it's tryng to make christianity look bad. Just the flaws and corruption present in the church (which are present in every large orginization, by the way).

And now for a recommendation in the opposite direction:

WILDGUARD
wildguard_2.jpg

Launched from Image comics by the one-man writer/artist/colorist team of Todd Nauck (of YOUNG JUSTICE fame, another recommended title), this is his take on a brand new superhero team. Basically, it takes the gimmick of "reality TV" and runs with it in a tale of 3 producers using a reality try-out show to cast 5 heroes in to the televised team of Wildguard. Out of 500, only 5 will win, including one character who was voted in via online polling at Nauck's wildguard site (@ www.wildguard.com )

Casting Call collects the first 6 issues, soon to be available in TPB. The team is selected, including one via fan polls!

Firepower is a one-shot made available last year.
WILDGUARD%20FIREPOWER%201.jpg

And the 2-part Fool's Gold is out this month.

The book is fun, with some occasional twists that one may not see coming. Todd also is a cool artist, and he never lets a major plot-point dangle for like 6 issues. You can also enjoy free web-comics that take place in-between the official releases at www.wildguard.com/forum

If you like INVINCIBLE or YOUNG JUSTICE, y'know, fun superhero adventure, pick this up. You can order 'em right from the website! How convient is that?

lupus27 said:
I don't think it's tryng to make christianity look bad. Just the flaws and corruption present in the church (which are present in every large orginization, by the way).

Oh I know. I'm not against it if it's a true representation or even one that just isn't "bashing" the church. Heck.. I loved the X-Men's Church of Humanity even though it showed the Church as racists.... because it was done in a way that it was obvious it didn't reflect the Church as a whole but those who were in the stories as individuals.

I may check it out, we'll see.

JewishHobbit said:
I gotta say that looks good but I'm hesitant. Is it the type of book that makes the Church look bad? I'm not much into that (as I'm a christian myself). But I will say the premise sounds good!

are you Catholic? it only makes the Catholic church look bad ;)

seriously, though, it is excellent... I think you'd love it.

like lupus kinda said, there will corruption in any large organization with absolute power...that's just human nature.

Lackey said:
are you Catholic? it only makes the Catholic church look bad ;)

seriously, though, it is excellent... I think you'd love it.

like lupus kinda said, there will corruption in any large organization with absolute power...that's just human nature.

No not Catholic,.. though I respect them. I'm Penticostle.. the wierd Holy Roller types that people make fun of that fall on the ground and all that.

And trust me, I know about the corruption and all that in organiized religion. My own Pastor was removed a few years ago for having affairs and there's been about 3 others in my area removed for various reasons. I'm not blind in that,.. I just dont' like pointless jabs at religion for nothing more than to just do it.

If I see the book I may check it out... it does sound promising.

"like lupus kinda said, there will corruption in any large organization with absolute power...that's just human nature."

Exactly. Just look at Time/Warner. *rimshot*

Hey KAD, I finally read Someplace Strange, and man, it was......Strange. I mean, the dialog was kooky as hell. What kinda drugs was Ann Nocenti on when she wrote this stuff? But, it was good. Weird, but good. Loved the little protions where they told you how to look at the picture. Like, when Joy's creation shows up and they told us, "For Maximum Effect, place nose here and look up slowly...shudder with respectful terror then turn the page quick before that fetid foot flattens your face!" Sweet. :up:

Is there a place on these boards where we can trade trade paperbacks? Trade Trades. If not, that should be the thread title.

I'm gonna recomend Girls the new comic by the Luna Bros. I havent Ultra, but they say its better. Only 2 came out, but the comic shops around me sell out of them fast already. Oh plus a variant of the first came out for cover price. The Luna bros from what i have seen so far are really good. I hope Marvel or DC picks them up soon.

Written by Joshua Luna
Art and cover by Jonathan Luna

Ethan Daniels can’t seem to get laid. Not that’s he’s a bad looking guy, nor is he socially ******ed. He’s just a typical bachelor who suffers from one, infallible truth: women are complicated. One night, he bumps into a mysterious woman who will change his life… and maybe even the world.

Heres #1
Girls1.jpg

Heres #1 variant
.Girls1.jpg

Heres #2
.Girls2.jpg

heres #3
Girls3.jpg

JewishHobbit said:
No not Catholic,.. though I respect them. I'm Penticostle.. the wierd Holy Roller types that people make fun of that fall on the ground and all that.
Don't worry, Protestantism doesn't exist in the world of Rex Mundi, so they can't bash your religion;)

But it doesn't bash religion at all, but does depict corruption in a religious organization. Still, its highly intelligent and quite a mystery book. I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit. At the very least, you can try out one trade:)

I remember Image used to have all of Rex Mundi #0 on their website, but that was a while ago. I'll see if i can find it again.

Well, seeing as GHollywood already got Girls, I figured I should do Ultra. I can second his motion that the Luna brothers rock. Girls is very good right now and Ultra was fantastic. The trade is already out and it is highly recommended. Heres the solicitation for the trade from Midtown COmics:

Midtown Comics said:
In Spring City, where superheroes blur the lines between law enforcement and celebrity, Pearl Penalosa, AKA Ultra, is a workaholic. At the prestigious agency, Heroine Inc., she has earned a legion of fans, a nomination for "Best Heroine of the Year" and a perfect life. Well, almost perfect. A chance encounter with a mysterious fortune teller prophesizes true love for Pearl within seven days.

The three main characters:

Ultra
32335_ful.jpg

Cowgirl
26354_ful.jpg

and Aphrodite
90749392207.gif

Anubis said:
Hey KAD, I finally read Someplace Strange, and man, it was......Strange. I mean, the dialog was kooky as hell. What kinda drugs was Ann Nocenti on when she wrote this stuff? But, it was good. Weird, but good. Loved the little protions where they told you how to look at the picture. Like, when Joy's creation shows up and they told us, "For Maximum Effect, place nose here and look up slowly...shudder with respectful terror then turn the page quick before that fetid foot flattens your face!" Sweet. :up:

Anubis,

Glad you liked it.

Definitly quirky book but great nontheless.

I hope other hypsters pick it up.

It always brings me back to being a kid again when I read it.

Do I need to read Ultra in order to understand Girls? Or can I just read Girls? :confused:

Ben Urich said:
Do I need to read Ultra in order to understand Girls? Or can I just read Girls? :confused:
I haven't read ULtra, but Girls stands on it's on for me. I didn't think they had any connection other than the creators

Elijya said:
I haven't read ULtra, but Girls stands on it's on for me. I didn't think they had any connection other than the creators

That's right. They are totally seperate stories.

wow, other hypers who read Girls and Ultra? awesome. I thought i was the only one who ever heard of it. Whenver i bring it up to friends, there like,"wtf is that?" and i have to explain it. It's pretty popular at my comic store. If I didn't have it in my pull box, I wouldn't be able to get them.

I scored the last issue of Girls #1 from a comic store the other day.
No sign of #2 anywhere.
Gotta call the place where I get my subs, make sure #3 is in my box.
It's awesome so far :up:

I'd like to recommend Judd Winicks book, Caper. It was the story of a family throughout three generations. It is seperated into three 4 issue arcs. Each arc goes into a different genre. The first being a old time ganster sort of thing. Reminds me of Once upon a time in America. Then you have thriller,followed by the last arc which was a comedy. All very good. Check it out.

19353_ful.jpg

22407_ful.jpg

25209_ful.jpg

Elijya, update the front page. :o

On that note, Concrete. This is truly some excellent stuff. Wanna know why? Even Alan Moore said it was amazing... And when he likes it, its pretty much automatically good. Concrete is about some guy who gets abducted by aliens, and has his brain transmitted into a hard rock body, hence the title. What goes on after is quite frankly, some of the best comic reading out there peroid. Its won 8 Eisners, its just pure gold. Whatever you can find of it, buy, don't even think, just buy, its that good. :up:

concrete_short_95.jpg

Sabretooth said:
What are some other Batman novels I should get? I already got both TLH and Y1,and felt pretty meh about both.Are there any other novels any better?

Batman Black and White, dammit!

I was thinking about story-arcs I really enjoyed, and this is the one from Silver Surfer that always comes to mind. I really need to re-read it, but it was written by George Perez, and was so different from everything that was being written at the time. I believe the story takes place between issues #111 - 121. Most people can probably find this sucker in the bargain bins:

74638335496.111.GIF

Like I said, I need to re-read it, but it involved the Silver Surfer being broken into numerous pieces. Much of the story didn't involve the Surfer, but a new collection of characters.

Phaed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"