Revenge of the Fallen The Official Soundwave thread

DoctorJones

Civilian
Reaction score
soundwave-mp3-player.jpg

0065356913443_215X215.jpg

About the only really confirmed cast member, Soundwave is symbolic of the Decepticons loyal to Megatron. Left out of TF1 at the last minute, the writers tried their best to incorporate him, leaving us with Blackout and Frenzy. I found Blackout a perfect redesign of SW's G1 look, so I'm really curious as to what his alternate mode will be. The filmmakers will certainly want to upstage this piece of fan art:

Soundwave3.jpg

So what will he be? A Cybertronian jet like his master? How big is his role? Minion, or diabolical villain intent on resurrecting Megatron and getting back at Sam, Optimus and Starscream? What about Ravage and Laserbeak?

I'm in the minority on this, but I've come to like the idea that was floated around before the first film was released where Soundwave could be a spy satellite of some sort. It fits better than a military communications van, IMO.

That said, he needs to have a large role in TF2. He should be shown trying to revive Megatron and upon succedding, plant the seeds for him to resume leadership.

Frank Welker alse needs to reprise the role.

From Cracked.com's list of the 7 most useless transformers ever...

#7.
Soundwave

Transforms into: A cassette player

Why is he useless?

Soundwave looks like he should be 100 percent badass, until you get to know him. He can read minds, intercept and block radio transmissions and is one of the strongest Transformers around; no easy task when all of your peers are enormous robots.

You stop liking/fearing/respecting Soundwave, however, when you realize that he uses all of his robot powers for the sole purpose of spying on his fellow Decepticons to detect mutiny. Seriously, he quietly hangs around his evil pals, waits for them to take issue with one of Megatron's orders and then records the s--t out of it.

The other downside to Soundwave is that, when he's not out being a giant robo-narc, he's a motherf--king cassette player. We stopped needing a cassette player in like the early '90s. Can you even name a single person who owns a cassette tape anymore? If we want some tunes, we can just use the mp3 player on our niece's camera phone.

Did you hear that, Soundwave? Our 7-year-old niece's camera phone is a more impressive Transformer than you.

I'm in the minority on this, but I've come to like the idea that was floated around before the first film was released where Soundwave could be a spy satellite of some sort. It fits better than a military communications van, IMO.

That said, he needs to have a large role in TF2. He should be shown trying to revive Megatron and upon succedding, plant the seeds for him to resume leadership.

Frank Welker alse needs to reprise the role.

The thing about spy satellites is that they can't really move on their own, so his "vehicle mode" wouldn't be useful unless he was stuck in orbit for a huge chunk of the movie.

But going for the spy angle has promise. A spy plane or something along the lines?

That said, having him as a communications van works fine for me.

I really, really liked the artwork someone did of the spare wheel becoming Ravage.

That sells the van for me. That alone. It's enough to veto the G1 version, in my mind.
Otherwise, I prolly would have him be something more traditionally techie, like he was before.

The thing about spy satellites is that they can't really move on their own, so his "vehicle mode" wouldn't be useful unless he was stuck in orbit for a huge chunk of the movie.

That doesn't mean Soundwave disguised as a spy satellite couldn't do that. :cwink:

I see where you're coming from, but I think it could work if done properly. It would put Soundwave in a position to monitor the situation on the ground and intercept Autobot and military communications, as well as maninpulate it.

I think Soundwave should be some kind of military communication vehicle.

I'm thinking he could be possible a triple changer. He would not only be a military vehicle used for communications but he could also turn into an advanced satalite dish used for spying and tracking.

I'm thinking he could be possible a triple changer. He would not only be a military vehicle used for communications but he could also turn into an advanced satalite dish used for spying and tracking.

That occurred to me as well, but, I doubt we'll see triple-changers in these movies.

No, Soundwave is not a triple changer, don't screw around with him.

I think Soundwave is gonna be the most highly critiqued new bot design in the movie.

Since reformating on the fly seems to be a part of the movieverse, what does everyone think about having Soundwave constantly adopt a new alt. mode? It doesn't contradict the character and it would sorta make sense for him to do it depending on the situation.

Remember, it depends on his mass: if he's a car, he can't be a jet. Unless they make his power mass-shifting, though I'd prefer something more sound-related.

^ Yeah, it would require some mass-shifting. But since Frenzy and the Allspark were able to mass shift, they could probably get away with it if they wanted to.

Well since he's loyal to Megatron, I would think he'd want to carry on Megatron's work I guess and destroy the Autobots. That's all I can think of.

It's funny really, Bay dismissed the whole mass shifting thing as silly yet we saw Frenzy and the Allspark both do it. There is no reason why we cant see Soundwave feature some form of mass shifting, even if it isn't his main function.

[YT]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9TYzRanykbQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9TYzRanykbQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YT]

Hahaha, that's awesome, love the The Touch. "F**king iPod's, Ravage get off the couch". Gold :up:

It's funny really, Bay dismissed the whole mass shifting thing as silly.

No, he wanted the scales to be relative: if you look at the comics and cartoons closely, you'd notice there is less obvious but still big scale problems eg. Ratchet, a van, slapping Starscream, a jet. So if it was about making sure the mass shifting in the film wasn't too obvious: a car can't be as tall as a truck or military machine.

Scale problems are still there: it's why we can't see Bumblebee's fingers in his hood or Frenzy transforming his head to such an extreme. But mass shifting can be properly introduced to a Transformer in a sequel, after the audience took the ethereal properties of the Cube for granted.

More info: http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Scale

No, I'm pretty sure he used the term "mass shift" as his argument when going on about Megatron being a gun in the cartoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"