The Official Superman: Earth One thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Here is the official Superman: Earth One thread in here we can discuss all things dealing with Superman: Earth One. All info will be posted here as it comes in.

Superman Earth One
1260292826.jpg
supermanleveledlores.jpg

Clark Kent Earth One
1260292826.jpg

Interviews about Superman Earth One

JMS

Shane Davis part 1

Shane Davis Part 2

what I would love to see is how they plain on doing the death of Superman storyline with this Superman and how do they plain on bringing in the formation of the Justice League.

If they do any of that. I wouldnt mind if he was the ONLY Superhero for a very long time.

This is pretty much "Ultimate Superman", so there's no guarantee they'll ever even touch that story. If they do ever have a "Death of Superman" story, it'll definitely be awhile down the road, and will most definitely be quite different than the original story. It might not even be Doomsday that kills him if it happens.

In regular Spider-Man, Green Goblin killed Gwen Stacy. In Ultimate Spider-Man it was Carnage.

Who knows what will happen?

Earth One JLA is an exciting thought, but I'd like to watch this build for awhile and let us start to get invested in the characters as solo acts before they start teaming them up and killing them off.

Anyone else think he kind of looks like the kid playing Percy Jackson in the new Lightning Thief movie coming out next year?

percyjackson1.jpg

Hopefully the origin of Earth 1 Superman is better then the current Secret Origin take. While I don't believe the Bryne revamp is the be all and end all of how a Superman story should begin, I wish it was more in that mold(not a fan of bumbling Clark, Lex knowing Clark in Smallville and Legion should not have as prominate a role in Clark's origin). I would argue S:TAS might have had the best take on many characters in the Superman world and I loved how they did the origin there

Insanely stupid and confusing to title it this. Sounds lame and unneeded and I'll be skipping it.

Clark Kent isn't the fake one. Superman's the fake.

Why bother with a supposed alternative take when it's really the same thing? I wish some of these people would study the damn character and see what Siegel intended him to be, not Byrne.

Horrible HORRIBLE title though. The Earth-One Superman is Kal-El and he is the greatest hero in the universe. He is not Batman's *****, Clutterearth Clarkie "Smallville" Kent.

Last edited:
Do we really need more than one thread for Earth-1?

The answer is no, no we don't.
Insanely stupid and confusing to title it this. Sounds lame and unneeded and I'll be skipping it.

Why bother with a supposed alternative take when it's really the same thing? I wish some of these people would study the damn character and see what Siegel intended him to be, not Byrne.

Horrible HORRIBLE title though. The Earth-One Superman is Kal-El and he is the greatest hero in the universe. He is not Batman's *****, Clutterearth Clarkie "Smallville" Kent.
I never knew Kurosawa nor Moe to whine so much.

Well, I don't particularly agree with Kurosawa, but I don't really get the title, either. I was thinking it was going to be set in in either the original Golden (or Silver, I don't remember which) Age continuity or set in the Earth-1 of the new 52 Earth multiverse, but as far as I can see it's not and this is a brand new continuity altogether from both of those.

Yet you said that without whining about it. Incredulous!

Seriously though, I think it's supposed to be Earth-1 of the new multiverse. Seriously.

I thought Earth-1 of the new multiverse was just kind of like an altered version of the original multiverse Earth-1 which I think was either the Golden or Silver Age versions of the characters. Though I guess that's maybe what this will end up being? Though this looks more like some kind of 'modernized' interpretation to me. I don't know, I don't really care either way, but I wouldn't mind some clarification

I thought the same thing too, but if this wasn't part of the multiverse, what is it?

Remember, DC has done away with elseworlds...everything belongs in one of the 52 universes. And if this was really an Ultimates-esque Earth-37 (or whatever) why on earth would they call it Earth-1?

It has to be Earth-1. They call it Earth-1. You really can't be more specific than that.

Hence, why there is questions since it kind of seems to contradict what we already know about the multiverse and Earth-1, both previous and current. Be nice to know if this is really suppose to be the new version of the new Earth-1 or if this is just the title they choose to go with to sound important since 'All Star' and 'Ultimate' have kind of been taken.

And I don't really think they've done away with Elseworlds, they just don't call it that anymore. Both All-Star titles were self-contained contunities that didn't fit in any of the 52 universe, so I'd call that Elseworlds, just not in name.

They didn't name All Star Superman to a multiverse Earth? I'm shocked.

But what have we really seen of Earth-1 since Infinite Crisis? Anything at all?

Nope, neither All Star Superman or All Star Batman were assigned to the 52 Earths (And I'm pretty sure that there's no officially assigned 52 Earth to the whole Millerverse if you want to assume the latter in that paper thin canon).

Good question, I don't really know, but everything I've read of it seems to indicate that its a somewhat modified version of the original Earth-1. Which, maybe that's what this is, I don't know, doesn't really seem like it to me. Though, like I said, it doesn't really matter all that much to me, but I am kind of curious to know the official word on it. Either way, it just looks like an attempt to make a 'Ultimate' DC either way

I think we just assumed too much with what DC was going to do with Earth-1.

This is it.

...And yes, it is an attempt to make an Ultimate DC. It's not even a veiled attempt.

Which seems ironic to me since the Ultimate line seems to be on its final leg. I guess these Earth-One plans were down the pipe for awhile, but now it looks like DC ripping the Ultimate idea when that line has been significantly minimized and is probably just a little ways from vanishing into the catalog of the many Marvel alternate Earths

Which seems ironic to me since the Ultimate line seems to be on its final leg.

While it's not selling as much as it used to early 2000, it still on the top 20/50 comics and like top 10-15 on Marvel comics, so shoo! :o

Yeah, but it's also cut down to two ongoings and an occasional mini or two. Plus, it's up there because it's on to a 'fresh' start coupled with big names. I mean the main reason for all that was because the line slumped so much and to hopefully rejuvenate it. They put a nice bandage there, but I wouldn't expect the line to still be published regularly within the next 3-5 years

Last edited:
Yes, but that doesn't mean the concept is flawed. The Ultimate titles suffered from a lack of quality talent and writing, that's what caused their slump in sales. Ultimate X-Men was dreadful for years, Ultimate Fantastic Four as well. When the stories are actually good, such as Ultimates 1 and 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man, they always did very well both financially and critically.

DC has assigned four of the top creators in comics (well, maybe only three) to do the same thing Ultimates and Ultimate Spider-Man have been doing successfully for years. Something many DC fans had been waiting for for quite some time. On top of that, by using the graphic novel format, DC - while rehashing a decade-old concept - is interjecting new life into itself by doing something the big two had yet to attempt.

It seems like a pretty smart thing to do on DC's part...and if the stories do turn out to be good, I highly doubt it won't be successful.

I think it was more than just a quality issue that caused the Ultimate line to decline. After awhile, when all the newness and 'modernization' wears off, you realize you're just reading a version of a character in mainstream continuity and yours is just an offshoot who's continuity doesn't matter so much. Some people aren't bothered by that fact, but I know there's more than a few who, after all the shine has worn off, will ask, 'What exactly is the point of this when the actual character and continuity is happening here?' It may be vain, but it's not as uncommon as it probably should be. Not to say the quality wasn't part of the issue or anything, but I think Marvel stopped caring when the Ultimate line didn't deliver what I assumed they hope to and started to sink a little, so they stopped caring

Though, the whole idea of using the 'graphic novel' format is a good idea. It can perhaps remedy some of the issues of just starting a new continuity to run along side mainstream single issues. We'll have to wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"