The Official Superman: Earth One thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From IGN: Superman: Earth One HC Review
Dan Phillips said:
I can't believe I'm writing this, but Superman: Earth One made me appreciate Smallville. Despite its considerable flaws, that show does a far better job updating the Superman mythos for a modern age while honoring its essence. Tom Welling's Kal-El is far more in line with what I love about the character than JMS' version, and the liberties the show takes with the mythos – as goofy as some of them might be – are all far more interesting than what JMS does here. Again, it's difficult to look at this book as anything but a failure. Here's hoping Geoff Johns and Gary Frank have better luck exploring Earth One.

From AICN: Superman: Earth One HC Review

Optimus *****e said:
Thank you, DC. Even though this masterful retelling is being touted in the marketingverse as "accessible to new readers" (which it is), as a man that has followed the adventures of Superman for the past thirty years, this is the first time since I picked up that very first issue I felt such an electrical charge of elation, glee and wide-eyed wonder coursing through my body.

This is gonna divide people a lot.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this book. I hadn't heard anything about it until about an hour ago when DC posted a link on Facebook. I read the AICN review and now I'm pretty excited to see this new take on Supes and his world.

Is this going to be an ongoing title for DC or is it a one-shot graphic novel?

I'm REALLY looking forward to this book. I hadn't heard anything about it until about an hour ago when DC posted a link on Facebook. I read the AICN review and now I'm pretty excited to see this new take on Supes and his world.

Is this going to be an ongoing title for DC or is it a one-shot graphic novel?
It's an ongoing graphic novel.

Sounds good. So there are going to be other "Earth One" titles featuring different heroes?

Batman: Earth One was announced at the same time as Superman. It's going to be written by Geoff Johns and drawn by Gary Frank, but no release date has been scheduled yet.

Gary Frank is an awesome artist. He tends to draw people bug eyed at times, but he does solid work. Looking forward to seeing what he and Johns come up with. Any teaser images?

I'll buy this out of curiousity but the art and design's are a big turn off.

Gary Frank is an awesome artist. He tends to draw people bug eyed at times, but he does solid work. Looking forward to seeing what he and Johns come up with. Any teaser images?
I'd like him alot more if he didn't have Clark and Superman constantly pulling goofball faces.

Well, this time he'll get to give Bruce Wayne and Batman goofball faces. ;)

From io9:
In Superman: Earth One, Clark Kent is the boy who fell to Earth
Cyriaque Lamar said:
J. Michael Straczynski's new hardcover graphic novel Superman: Earth One portrays Superman as an extraterrestrial who forces himself to masquerade as a human twentysomething. Here's our review and interview with DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio.

Note: This article contains minor spoilers.

Every time the Superman franchise jumps to a new media, we inevitably get some iteration of his origin story (i.e. baby Kryptonian crash-lands on the Kent farm, is raised to be a homespun demigod). Given that it's a modern update of the Superman story, Superman: Earth One doesn't stray wildly from this formula. When artwork of the hoodie-clad Clark Kent hit the internet, there was chatter that the picture (top) portended a gritty or emo Superman. Luckily, the Earth One Clark Kent is a good guy, and the book makes a strong case that the Kents are the reason he doesn't grow up to be like that creepy god-child from The Twilight Zone.

How does the origin story in Superman: Earth One diverge from traditional portrayals of the hero? First off, Clark's powers manifest the minute he crawls out of his escape pod. The Kents also hide Clark to protect themselves. They discover his downed spaceship while camping and hightail it once black helicopters begin investigating the vessel. This book is the diametric opposite of Straczynski's 2003 Marvel series Supreme Power, which starred an alien infant pressganged into superheroics by the US government. The Kents encourage their son to be an übermensch, but he's raised without any knowledge of Kryptonian heritage — he knows he's an alien, but being human is all he's got.

Straczynski's emphasis on Clark's alienness is the book's strongest point, and artist Shane Davis rightly gives the book a photorealistic look to drive home that this is more science fiction than superhero romp. There are no pastels, other heroes, undulating bosoms, or juiced deltoids. Clark is a lithe guy in a gray and brown world, and he only dons the S as an emergency. There's a certain amount of disbelief that must be suspended here (a.k.a. Clark's a humanoid), but this is a Superman story — he's not going to look like a space walrus or lion.

I did have some quibbles with this book. First off, we know that the Kents raised their son right, but we don't see how they taught him to be an upstanding citizen instead of, say, Earth's dictator — Jonathan and Martha do inculcate Clark with good values, but it seems too easy at times. I do hope future volumes delve into the Kents' struggles raising their son. Also, I wasn't a fan of the alien villain's design. Superman: Earth One guns for verisimilitude, but the villain's appearance seemed somewhat 1990s.

Superman: Earth One is the superhero's entrance into the book market, and it's apropos that Clark Kent's situations mirrors that of a Harry Potter or Bella. He's preternaturally special, and angry strangers wants a piece of him for unknown reasons. All in all, this is a handsome, rock-solid Superman fable that gets to the scifi pith of his legend. The book begins with the Kents giving him a future, and it closes with his Kryptonian side narrowing his destiny. Clark's doesn't fit in either world yet, but thankfully he doesn't waste time wringing his hands either.

Last week, we had the opportunity to speak with DC's co-publisher Dan DiDio, who spearheaded the Earth One initiative. Here's what DiDio told us about the book:

What was the genesis of Superman: Earth One?

One of things I wanted to create was original material that is built as books. So much that we do is in collected edition form with periodicals bound together, but there's a certain style of storytelling that allows itself in a book format, and we wanted to address it with our primary characters, starting with Superman. In this particular case, we reached out to Joe Straczynski, who's a longtime Superman fan. The twist was we wanted a Superman story as if Superman arrived today. What would his interests be? What would his sensibilities be? How would he become a hero? Once we had that discussion with Joe, he went with it, and I think he set every goal we set out for.

In this book, you have characters core to the Superman mythos — Jimmy, Lois, his parents — but you also have new villains and a shadowy big bad. Was this intentional?

We didn't want to go out and reestablish this world with all of the Superman trappings right from the start. The different villain gives Superman a different set of motivations, and it really helps set the book apart from the continuing lore of the periodicals. It's accessible, but it also offers something different for Superman fans.

What sort of release schedule are we looking at for Superman: Earth One?

We want to put out at least one of these per year. We've looked at what's going on in the bookstore market with continuing characters in fiction, and what we do best at DC is continuing characters. Every book should stand alone and have its own continuity — it's comparable to things like the James Bond books.

Batman's making his Earth One debut in 2011 — any other DC characters in the pipeline?

We want to keep the focus on Superman right now, but we do have a long-term plan for this series of books. I keep on pitching Outsiders: Earth One but they keep shooting me down! [Dan currently pens Outsiders.]

[For example,] we had incredible success with Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo's Joker graphic novel. That wasn't trying to follow any sort of continuity but it really stood unto itself. That book's not connected to what Geoff Johns is doing in Batman: Earth One, though.

Should fans interpret the Earth One of the title as its literal designation within the DC multiverse?

For the casual fan it's a designator; for the hardcore fan, it's within the Multiverse.

Does the revamping of Superman in the Earth One format give us any sort of hints about the direction Zach Snyder's going in with the new film?

[Laugh] This book is an important publishing initiative for us. Again, one of the things we look at are all the forms of distribution that exist presently in comics. What we want to do is rather than keep repackaging material over and over in different distribution streams, we really want to find ways to craft new materials that really take advantage of the format. That's not just with regards to periodicals or collected editions or digital — it's with regards to all of them combined.

Superman: Earth One comes out October 27 in comic shops and book stores November 2.

From THR:
See the New, Brooding Superman
What do you get when you combine Twilight and a classic superhero?

The new Superman.

DC comics unveiled its made over Superman in Monday's New York Post. The 72-year-old iconic comic still has his six-pack, but features a brooding, new look that's more reminiscent of Robert Pattinson than Christopher Reeve.

Superman's new look will be featured in DC Comics' "Earth One" graphic novels (to be sold for $19.95), which portrays classic comic book characters in the present day. [pullquote]

"We wanted to tell a story that's hip, sexy and moody," DC Comics' co-publisher Dan DiDio told the Post. "We wanted to show a younger Superman at the early stages of his career, struggling with his identity and his place. He realizes he doesn't belong anywhere and doesn't fit in."
From The New York Post:
It's a new 'Look!' for Superman

From The Source:
A few links of note: SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE edition
Alex Sequra said:
The news and art came fast and furious today in relation to Hugo Award-winning writer J. Michael Straczynski and artist Shane Davis’ SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE.

The OGN, which hits comic shops on Wednesday and bookstores the following Tuesday was front and center this morning, as THE NEW YORK POST spotlighted the book with the following: “Look, up in the sky! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s . . . Superhunk!”

That spurred a flurry of new and scheduled coverage, including SLASHFILM, AIN’T IT COOL NEWS, CBS NEWS, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, CNN, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, AOL NEWS and much more.

The kicker? We’re just getting warmed up. Stay tuned to THE SOURCE for more updates on this game-changing publishing event.

Hm, just out of curiosity, does this really need two threads? There's already an Earth One thread, and since the Superman and Batman re-imaginings are so far apart, I don't see a lot of need to have another thread discussing what's probably just going to be discussed in the other.

I agree Tronn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"