The Official TIH Fan Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying Godman,but really struggling to understand your point or your logic.

From the above, it sound like you are saying if the origin had been shown as the Ang Lee origin, that this film would be a perfect sequel to the Ang film, does that mean you found the film perfect barring the origin? If so, I commend your turnaround, as it looks like thats what you are saying.

"if u had used 2003 Hulk's movie summary as the opening sequence to this one it would have fit perfectly as a sequel and replace the initial actors and it would have been an EXACT perfect sequel with maybe only one or two minor continuity probs."

That statement says that if they used the same actors and origin, this film would be a perfect sequel to the first film. Which would mean that the way they handle everything in this film, from story to CGI to character development would be perfect for a sequel to Ang Lee's film? Thats what you have just implied. :-)

Think about this though, if there was no Ang Lee version, and this was a completely first approach, would the film have made sense? If someone hadnt seen Ang's, to me, this film would stand alone,so could be seen as a reboot OR a sequel if you wanted - they set up everything here plainly and simply, the forelorn love between Betty and Bruce is apparent and nuanced throughout the film.

Everything you mention in this one, barring the set piece in Brazil, could be attributed to any jumping on point from the first episode of the tv series, orthe first issue of the comic, or yes, the first film, thats the whole point - to move swiftly through an origin, indicate a love that cannot be between them, and a search for a cure, for himself, and for Bruce to be with Betty. All of that was in the movie, simply and at times poetically.

Im amazed you feel the film has no backbone and that the relationship sucked in this film - particularly as it has the origin clearly laid out within 5 minutes and having a transformation within that origin, as opposed to 45 minutes before a transformation takes place as in Ang's. And while I liked the relationship in Ang's, Banner's detachment emotionally made me surprised he even went out with Betty at all, that she put up with his emotionally stunted behaviour at all.

If anything, the romance here goes beyond Ang Lee's - which went as far as for the couple to ultimately realise they could not be together because of the Hulk, right at the end. Whereas in the new movie, thats happened years ago, Banner left at the very beginning of the movie to get away from Betty because of his infliction, had to come back and then you see the awkwardness between the two because they so want to be together, even after all those years, there love is bubbling ever so close to the surface but their inability to express how they feel, or the safety of not doing so, causing the uncomfort before they give in and the love takes control in the scene where they are about to have sex.

I know there are a few opinions on the performances here, but if anything the script and actors show a much stronger connection between Bruce and Betty in this film, taking it much further than Ang's despite the inevitable outcome that Bruce must leave again for both sakes.

Thats just opinion of course, as usual. But I am finding your views fascinating and amusing at times.

I think Devin of Chud.com (i love the site, but meh on him) said it best: The Incredible Hulk felt like a sequel to a movie that never existed.

Because of that, the love angle between Betty and Bruce feels weird. a little disjointed because this is not the same (for the most part) betty and bruce from Ang Lee's Hulk. They 'could' have connected it better, but it probably wouldn't matter anyway.

I'm curious to see what you didn't like about The Leader's portrayal.

It was the actor, more than anything else. Can't put my finger on it, but it just didn't click with me.

Maybe its because I was pissed off because some part of me, regardless of knowing it was impossible, was really really hoping Mr. Blue was Reed Richards.

As for Hulk running away, well he's a wanted man. Even if things are ever okay with Ross, the rest of the government still wants him brought in (as evident by the helicopters still chasing him).

Ross was the high ranking general leading the hunt. I'm pretty sure he could've stopped it.

It was the actor, more than anything else. Can't put my finger on it, but it just didn't click with me.

Maybe its because I was pissed off because some part of me, regardless of knowing it was impossible, was really really hoping Mr. Blue was Reed Richards.

Ross was the high ranking general leading the hunt. I'm pretty sure he could've stopped it.

I wasn´t crazy about Tim Blake Nelson either. His performance was over-the-top, was out of sync with the rest of the cast.

I think Blonsky, as Abomination figured Ross might have been desperate enough to let the Hulk loose on him. Having interacted with Ross throughout the film, Blonsky knew that this would be something Ross wouldn't have had a problem with if it went down. Even as a human, Blonsky's moral compass wasn't completely straight. He's all about being more powerful than his enemy.

I wasn´t crazy about Tim Blake Nelson either. His performance was over-the-top, was out of sync with the rest of the cast.

Yeah, I think that was it, actually. He just didn't fit in with the tone of the movie.

I think Blonsky, as Abomination figured Ross might have been desperate enough to let the Hulk loose on him. Having interacted with Ross throughout the film, Blonsky knew that this would be something Ross wouldn't have had a problem with if it went down. Even as a human, Blonsky's moral compass wasn't completely straight. He's all about being more powerful than his enemy.

Maybe, but it was still odd. He keeps his mind and intellect, and instead of going to Ross and saying "I can control it," (which is essentially what Ross wanted) he decided to rampage through the streets of New York City? It felt odd.

I never expected it to be anybody but Sterns. If they had problems getting Pete in a cameo, they were gonna have even more of an issue coaxing Fox to give them a F4 appearance.

See, I felt like his performance came at the right time, and wasn't so over the top that it overshadowed everyone else. So much of the film had been so serious with occasional moments of humor, that this one character and his behavior, I think we were led into it better. I liked that after all that time corresponding, he's talking about Banner not being what he expected Mr. Green to be, while he certainly isn't what you'd expect of Mr. Blue. And the smile on his face when
he realizes he's been infected with Bruce's blood
was priceless.

Yeah, I think that was it, actually. He just didn't fit in with the tone of the movie.

Maybe, but it was still odd. He keeps his mind and intellect, and instead of going to Ross and saying "I can control it," (which is essentially what Ross wanted) he decided to rampage through the streets of New York City? It felt odd.

It's not only a matter of proving anything to Ross, but proving something to himself. He was willing to let Ross experiment with him, but I think once he got the power, he realized he didn't want to be Ross' pawn. He's willing to give Ross what he wants to an extent, but like I said, Blonsky wants the challenge. It's a totally self-serving need to prove his superiority.

Rather impossible to do since Fox still has rights to FF.

I doubt the government would leave Banner alone since he has this weapon hidden inside him. Plus that project was government-funded, wasn't it?

As for the origin of the Leader, I thought it was perfect.

I had a great time, very fast paced, The cast was terrific, i didnt even mind liv tyler. You could tell some scenes were cut but that was okay, its length was fine. The battle sequences impressed me the most and finally a worthy Villain in Tim Roth. The script had some flaws and some of the Cgi was pretty bad but it didnt put me down at all. Great ending and great editing ill have to give it

8.5/10

By the way, was anyone else turned off by the sheer damage done to the university and the fact that the military didn't really seem to care at all about it? Or is it just me?

By the way, was anyone else turned off by the sheer damage done to the university and the fact that the military didn't really seem to care at all about it? Or is it just me?

na that just showed me how reckless Gen. Ross was to get the Hulk, i liked that actually

1) I felt the Abomination was poorly developed. I mean, he retained his personality and intelligence after becoming the Abomination, so why exactly did Blonsky decide it was a good idea to rampage through New York? I mean, he really did not come off as sinister in any way prior to that. He was simply a dedicated soldier. I really wish they explained WHY he went mad.

I kind of agree..but ya know, I felt the same way about Iron Man. Why did Stane go nuts once he put the armor on?

Well, even though we know that the comic Abomination keeps his intellect, we never get confirmation that the transformation didn't affect Blonsky somehow. He only said a few sentences, maybe the movie Abomb is only slightly more in control of his mind then Hulk is.

Why would you think THAT? :huh:

There was no way that was going to happen. Sony wouldnt even let Letterier use the name of a SCHOOL from their Spidey films, and you seriously thought Fox was going to let Reed Richards show up in a Hulk movie?

Mind you; i would have LOVED to see that...i just never would have expected it, what with the current attitutes of movie companies.

I kind of agree..but ya know, I felt the same way about Iron Man. Why did Stane go nuts once he put the armor on?

Guess its just the territory of comic films, eh?

Well, even though we know that the comic Abomination keeps his intellect, we never get confirmation that the transformation didn't affect Blonsky somehow. He only said a few sentences, maybe the movie Abomb is only slightly more in control of his mind then Hulk is.

Maybe, but these are the types of questions I would've liked to be answered.

Why would you think THAT? :huh:

There was no way that was going to happen. Sony wouldnt even let Letterier use the name of a SCHOOL from their Spidey films, and you seriously thought Fox was going to let Reed Richards show up in a Hulk movie?

Mind you; i would have LOVED to see that...i just never would have expected it, what with the current attitutes of movie companies.

I didn't EXPECT it. I said a small part of me HOPED for it.

I think the film did a decent job in conveying that once Blonsky got a taste of power, all bets were off. Especially during the scenes where he's looking at himself in the mirror and seeing the effects, and his later line about, "Feeling like a monster". And following his run in with Sterns, not to mention his full transformation into The Abomination, the decent that Blonsky was undergoing was undoubtedly in full effect at that point.

I didn't the portrayal of Sterns in this movie. He was a little hyper, but I just chalked it up him being the typical movie uber-nerd who gets excited about knowledge and science that he fails to see ethical or moral dilemmas. But I certainly hope he dials it back and plays it little more nuanced as the Leader, if they make a sequel, God willing.

I like Sterns the way he is. Very eccentric and knowledge hungry. Power hungry even. Something just feels off about him from the moment he starts talking about experiments. Yeah he's annoying and quirky but that's what I like about the character. Very nice take on him.

I think the film did a decent job in conveying that once Blonsky got a taste of power, all bets were off. Especially during the scenes where he's looking at himself in the mirror and seeing the effects, and his later line about, "Feeling like a monster". And following his run in with Sterns, not to mention his full transformation into The Abomination, the decent that Blonsky was undergoing was undoubtedly in full effect at that point.

I just love the look he gave that guy when he was sitting in the helicopter. He looked friggin' psychotic. By then he's grown a full beard and his eyes are all red and he's sweating and just a mess. He looked like a heroin addict. Great stuff. Wish we got to see more of that one.

I don't understand people saying Lee's Hulk also had more action than this one. The only real action sequence I remember from that one is the desert location. I don't consider the Hulk dogs as much of an action scene. I know there was a final sequence between him and his dad, but that was shot so darkly that you couldn't make out anything.

The Leader is pretty nutty in the comics. If they are going that direction, Sterns needs to be portrayed as he was just for the set-up.

On the heels of the successful launching of Marvel Studios with Iron Man, Marvel Studios goes green with their second film: The Incredible Hulk. An attempt at Hulk was made in 2003, but the film was unable to please the general public, which has led to this reboot of the series. Make no mistake, this reboot is very different and tries to give the fans the Hulk they wanted back in 2003.

While most found Ang Lee's approach to Hulk alienating in its more cerebral style, Louis Leterrier does the complete opposite. There is a lot more action in this new Hulk film! Hulk fights the army, an enhanced soldier, a fellow monster, and even attacks the sky! The editing of the film is also very fast paced. The action scenes have many quick cuts, and even many plot points are not stated by characters, but shown on documents or shown visually very quickly before moving along. It is a very fast moving film, but one that doesn't really ever get boring. There is some solid character work mixed. The movie clearly had the goal of "Hulk Smash" in mind from conception, but they don't ignore the story. Banner's desire to reuinite with the love of his love is handled very well, as is his core struggle of learning to gain a degree of control over the beast within. Many claim the movie has no story or doesn't care to develop it, but I simply don't agree.

Edward Norton is a good Banner, but he hardly defines the role the way Robert Downey Jr. defines Tony Stark. Robert Downey Jr. becomes Tony Stark to the audience on screen in Iron Man, while Edward Norton feels like the Edward Norton I've seen in other movies. That said, Norton clearly had passion for this project, despite the falling out he's had with Marvel. He has tremendous chemistry with Liv Tyler. Their romance is one of the strengths of the film. William Hurt also does a good job as General Ross. But, the stand out villain is Emil Blonksy. Tim Roth does a great job with this character, and I think they do a great job with Blonsky from a story perspective. He's almost like a junkie, and his drug is power. We see his drive for power grow as his mutation becomes more pronounced. We see him grow into the man that eventually becomes the a monstrous Abomination! He's very well developed and is a very effective villain.

The biggest issue the movie had was the effects. Hulk is hard to do in CGI, but in various places in the movie, he looks terrible. In the night scenes, Hulk looks good. The day scenes, totally fake. This is hard to overlook in several spots. It is hard to feel attached to a monster we the audience don't believe is really there. The overall design of the Abomination could have been better, too. Particularly Abomination's head and neck look sort of silly. Fortunately, the final showdown between Hulk and Abomination had some of the best effects of the film, and the fight itself is one of the better comic book hero vs villain fights in a movie yet.

The Incredible Hulk gets a lot of unfair criticism. While making the film more fast paced and action oriented was clearly the goal, it has some meaty stuff in the story department. While Norton's feud with Marvel no doubt has helped given the film negative buzz, the film itself doesn't deserve the backlash it has gotten over circumstances beyond its control. With a trong hero, supporting cast, and villain, The Incredible Hulk is one of the more underrated comic book based films.

Overall rating - 4/5

Last edited:
I just love the look he gave that guy when he was sitting in the helicopter. He looked friggin' psychotic. By then he's grown a full beard and his eyes are all red and he's sweating and just a mess. He looked like a heroin addict. Great stuff. Wish we got to see more of that one.
Exactly.

Blonsky was essentially unraveling infront of our very eyes at that point. And in alot of ways, it reminded me of that of Michael Biehn's character in The Abyss.

I don't understand people saying Lee's Hulk also had more action than this one. The only real action sequence I remember from that one is the desert location. I don't consider the Hulk dogs as much of an action scene. I know there was a final sequence between him and his dad, but that was shot so darkly that you couldn't make out anything.

Well, to be fair, everytime there was a hulk out, there was action and there were 4 Hulk outs in Hulk where as only 3 in TIH..I guess 4 if you count the lab table.
But that desert sequence you mentioned started out in an underground base, went to the desert before with tanks and helicopters, and ended with jets and Hulk tearing up San Fran. It was quite a long sequence. then you have the lab Hulk out, Hulk beating up Talbot and tearing apart the gamma dogs, and the final battle.
Yeah, it had a lot of action.
Granted, the thing TIH had over it action wise is it's action scenes were very INTENSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"