The Movie Just Didn't Cut It

I can't understand the love for this to be quite honest. Sure compared to a lot of comic book films is does stand up alright, but as a piece of cinema in general, it struggles with too many conflicting issues. As a direct adaptation, the style of split-screen montage was Ang Lee's way of making it 'comic-book-esque', and neglected the treatment of the subject matter etc and each shot, ignoring the HUGE importance that framing plays in graphic novels etc, which was a real opportunity that he missed out on.

Isildur´s Heir;13502027 said:
Lee´s Hulk was amazing, not perfect, could be better, but still, the best comic book movie so far.

Tip-

crack_pipe.jpg

I'm about halfway through the film. Haven't seen it since 2003 when it was in theaters. Although it's far from perfect, I think it's definitely one of the better Marvel films. Not to mention, the CGI seems a lot better than it did the first time I saw it, for some odd reason.

Maybe because I'm watching it on a 32" screen, and not in a theater.

i hate to say it, because everyone does... but this wasn't good.
it was long, pretentious and i believe ang lee thinks we're smarter audience than we really are.

sigh. hopefully the incredible hulk will improve upon hulk.​

:bh:

Personally..I think your right. Everything looked like it was too held back,and the villain was a mish mash of the Absorbing Man and Banner's father. But there will always be someone who liked it. I can say this,Ang Lee might never be heard from again.

:boba:

i hate to say it, because everyone does... but this wasn't good.
it was long, pretentious and i believe ang lee thinks we're smarter audience than we really are.

sigh. hopefully the incredible hulk will improve upon hulk.​

:bh:

You say this...as if it were a BAD thing. :huh:

Isildur´s Heir;13526812 said:
Eehhhhhhh....no
Comic books are complex and to arrive to that conclusion, all you have to do is read and undertand what you are reading, not just look at the pretty pictures.

That is just so wrong in so many ways is not even funny.
Clearly you don´t know what you are talking about, and before you get all defensive about it, you are the one admitting that by your statement.
What you describe up there is just a little detail of the complexaty of the character.

And then we came to the realty of it all, you don´t like comics, you just like the pretty pictures, the fights and the powers and whatnot.
And when i say you don´t like comics, is because that´s my first reaction to someone that says that, it´s not Shakespeare.
And the sad part is, when it comes to fans, you are not alone on that, many say exactly the same thing, which is totally wrong in so many ways.
What if you give powers to Romeo and Juliet, would it make it less romantic and epic?
I´m not comparing comic books to Shakespeare because that would be just stupid, i´m just saying that things have quality in their own right, you just to look at it and understand it.

In one Wizard issue, a couple of years ago, i read someone saying (don´t remember who, just that he was a big name) comic books only are called "comics" because that title is old and loved by all, but to be blunt about it, they should be called Tragic Comics.
And that´s truthful....
People just don´t take the time to look at the characters, just what they can do.
Superman is an alien, the only survivor of a extinct race, living in a world that´s not his.
That alone is extremely dramatic and powerful.
Forget the powers for a bit, imagine yourself not be able to blend in, to force yourself to "invisible", for people not to notice you, imagine how lonely he must feel sometimes....
That´s just an example, but this is what comic books are, tragic and dramatic stories of larger-than-life characters.

Ang Lee understood that, and he got "crucified" by that...

PREACH IT, SOUL BROTHER! :grin:

...Urm...I mean, very well-written piece, good sir. You nailed it right on the head, in my opinion.

Personally..I think your right. Everything looked like it was too held back,and the villain was a mish mash of the Absorbing Man and Banner's father. But there will always be someone who liked it. I can say this,Ang Lee might never be heard from again.

:boba:

Uh...does the words "Brokeback Mountain" mean anything to you? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"