Iron Man 2 The Official Whiplash Thread

Whiplash is similar to Omega Red, who we haven't seen on screen.
Crimson Dynamo is similar to Iron Monger, who we have seen on screen.

I get that but Omega Red is arguably the bigger character and witha possible WOlverine solo franchise I'd say hes got a good chance of showing up. THey are both kinda redundant but considering the power struggle at hand, its kinda like the Space Race, who can make a better suit.

Although, the one thing I havent thought about is how they are going to handle the fact that the Soviet Union fell cause most of these characters (Dynamo and Widow anyway) rely on the USSR (right?)

Id say Widow is an easy fix, but Crimson Dynamo is like a USSR poster boy isnt he?

Rourke and Rockwell are both good actors, but does anyone really see Rockwell as Justin Hammer? That's quite the reinvention of the Justin Hammer I've known.

Yeah.... that's whats bothering me. I understand that most of the trades are running with Rock being the Ham. In the comic Hammer is alot older and a rival to Starks. There is a long history between the two. I just don't see it. A young Hammer can't have a long rivary with an older Starks... can he?

:confused:

The Crimson Dynamo works if his armor is stolen from Stark.

ah man, i hope that the script is good. Not that I don't trust Justin Theox, but I've always saw him as an actor first then a writer. I hope the addition to all of these new characters, if true, won't be convoluted and lame.

Favs and Downey were all about the improv in IM. Long as the story structure is sound, I'm not worried about the script, bc they're not going to follow it word for word anyway.

Yeah.... that's whats bothering me. I understand that most of the trades are running with Rock being the Ham. In the comic Hammer is alot older and a rival to Starks. There is a long history between the two. I just don't see it. A young Hammer can't have a long rivary with an older Starks... can he?

:confused:

Rockwell's not that young. Theres a 3 year difference between him and Downey. I think the idea (if he really is HAmmer) is that they are peers. Maybe business school classmates or some such thing. I'd be ok with that, but i prefer him as Hawkeye

The oddest thing about this all is that the trades are printing not just stories that minorly contradict each other, but stories that seem completely opposite.

Variety said:
Which role Rockwell will play has yet to be disclosed by Marvel, but Rourke is in discussions to play the Crimson Dynamo, a heavily tattooed Russian arms dealer. He's considered to be an evil version of Iron Man because he battles the superhero in a nuclear-powered suit of armor.
The Hollywood Reporter said:
Marvel has been keeping a very tight lid on the script for the sequel, being written by Justin Theroux, but it is known that Rourke would play a tattooed Russian heavy named Ivan who becomes Whiplash, a man with deadly, technologically enhanced coils.

Rockwell would play Justin Hammer, a multibillionaire businessman and a rival of industrialist Anthony Stark, AKA Iron Man, being played by a returning Robert Downey Jr.

So either someone is making **** up or making assumptions or the character is something of an amalgamation or... I don't know :huh:

I'm good with Sam Rockwell being cast as Justin Hammer. The Demon in a Bottle angle works for me. I'm not hot about the Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash, but Mickey Rourke's a great actor and it'd be great to see how Favreau directs him. Natasha's a good name drop, assuming they mean Natasha Romanoff; I want to see S.H.I.E.L.D. taking a proactive role in Tony's world.

If it ends up being Crimson Dynamo, I really hope they update the suit for the movie because the comic design is pretty lame. It looks a lot like something you'd see in a Power Rangers type show.
They would need to design a suit that looks cool and tough without looking like a joke.

If it ends up being Omega Red...again, long blond hair with sunglasses??? That would look pretty stupid in live-action. I just can't see Iron Man fighting with a guy with long blond hair and shades, I am sorry.

The oddest thing about this all is that the trades are printing not just stories that minorly contradict each other, but stories that seem completely opposite.

So either someone is making **** up or making assumptions or the character is something of an amalgamation or... I don't know :huh:
Yeah. Seems the only thing they agree on is that he's a tattooed Russian.

Russia is back! No in all seriousness it is weird to see Russian villains relevant again.

Russia is back! No in all seriousness it is weird to see Russian villains relevant again.

You know, that is actually a good point. I wonder how they are going to make him relevant for this movie.

You know, that is actually a good point. I wonder how they are going to make him relevant for this movie.

Well I mean...I don't want to get too political or anything. But Russia is practically ran by former KGB that look out for their own interests and not their peoples'. They are certainly not the Soviet Union anymore but there are stories to tell.

i justcant wait to see marv lay some smack down on ironmans tin can

How did Bond continue to drag the Russian stories during the nineties??? Cmon guys... there is always some crazy Russian motha ****er in that government that is trying to start WWIII... I hope it sets up nicely for the Avengers movie. I would like to see some realistic threats in that film... neo-nazis, commis, nuclear war... get all political... make it WWIII comicbook style. Set up the same kind of stuff in the Captain America movie as well.

And what the hell is with the Omega Red talk... we'll be lucky if Fox puts him in a Wolverine/X-Men film... he had better be in a Wolverine sequel if they make one... although I think they'd use the Japan stories... anyway, back on topic.

Last edited:
I wonder how they are going to do Whiplash's costume in this film

Damn..... I hope it ends up being an Amalgamation of Crimson Dynamo and Whiplash... that would be awesome!:up:

This reminds me of when Jeff Bridges was cast and no one knew who the **** he was playing. All we knew was "Business associate of Tony". All we know right now is "tattooed Russian".

I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

This reminds me of when Jeff Bridges was cast and no one knew who the **** he was playing. All we knew was "Business associate of Tony". All we know right now is "tattooed Russian".

I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

Good point.

good casting adding 2 great actors.... kudos to the casting director

Well, with all the talk of Tim Robbins being Howard Stark, there probably going to be a decent number of flash backs, so I think it would be cool if Rockwell played Justin Hammer in the flashbacks opposite Tim Robbins and maybe and older actor, or Sam in makeup in present times.

Great news on both casting!

awesome news if they are added to the cast. can't wait to see who plays Natasha.

If it's true... Amazing cast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"