Would you want an Animated Tie-in for Man of Steel?

To be perfectly honest the DC Animated Universe stuff is awful. It's cheap and easy and that's why they use it. There hasn't been any growth in their style for some time and what little changes they make it usually ends up making it worse. They certainly can't hold a candle to the experimentation with CG and traditional animation. While the stories have been decent, the animation has been sub par and resting on past accomplishments.

I'm also tired of the DC Animated Style. It was great years ago when Batman and Superman were the primary heroes but once JL and especially JLU got started I quickly grew tired of all the heroes and villains having the same exact body structure. I know it would have cost a bit more chedder but it would have been cool the see Supes as the big guy, Bats more sleeker, flash slimmer with toned legs, etcetera. It would have added an extra layer of personality to the characters (at least visually).

Sidenote: I think the people who made gurren lagann could make a spectacular Green Lantern anime.

well yea the timm verse had that unique look for there characters. I didnt mind it at all. But with the new DTV its nice to see a vast differences in character designs all these DTV has had their own looks.

well yea the timm verse had that unique look for there characters. I didnt mind it at all. But with the new DTV its nice to see a vast differences in character designs all these DTV has had their own looks.

Exacty well said mate

Totally i am always down for seeing many different types of animation styles. sure i have my perferences to certain ones and dislikes to others. But i am willing to check something different out and see how it works for me. Like for example i loved timm's work, but i didnt like how the teen titans cartoon was drawn.

Totally i am always down for seeing many different types of animation styles. sure i have my perferences to certain ones and dislikes to others. But i am willing to check something different out and see how it works for me. Like for example i loved timm's work, but i didnt like how the teen titans cartoon was drawn.

Its like for example JL: the New Frontier and GL: First Flight two different styles but both contain the GL origin and I love them both. The best one by far for me has been Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

I added most of the DC direct-to-dvds on my Netflix so I will see them eventually. I appreciate the fact that they changed the style from Timm's.

I added most of the DC direct-to-dvds on my Netflix so I will see them eventually. I appreciate the fact that they changed the style from Timm's.

I think Timm is still producing them, they just changed the art style from the BTAS thru JLU series.

I too am glad they are now mixing up the art style, different takes and looks.

I think Timm is still producing them, they just changed the art style from the BTAS thru JLU series.

I too am glad they are now mixing up the art style, different takes and looks.

Not surprising since he's been a major part of WB superhero animation for so long. As long as new people get their time to shine I will be happy. Timm is great but by the end of JLU I was bored with all the barrel chested designs and his Batman eventually fell into the Batgod stereotype which was a shame since his (and Dini's) Batman was at one point the best representation of the character.

hmmm...i'm all for an animated tie-in, but only if it sucks. think about it. wb has a weird track record for it's animated tie-ins. the animatrix was great, but the matrix reloaded, not so much. gotham knight, lame. tdk, amazing. if the man of steel tie-in is lame, could the man of steel film be as good as tdk, or even batman begins?

Not surprising since he's been a major part of WB superhero animation for so long. As long as new people get their time to shine I will be happy. Timm is great but by the end of JLU I was bored with all the barrel chested designs and his Batman eventually fell into the Batgod stereotype which was a shame since his (and Dini's) Batman was at one point the best representation of the character.

Yeah, I liked the more human version of Batman from season 1-3 of BTAS.
Later on he did seem to have a bit too much knowing of what was going on. Too resourceful, too confident.

I distinctly remember him several times falling, or failing on the 1-3 seasons and showing concern in his face. He would sometimes show the emotion of fear. I mean he would overcome it fast, but he seemed a bit more human.

Later when he became uber bats, in JLA season2, or JLU (I forget which one exactly), there is a scene where he is falling from the BatJet having been blown up, and he calmly says into his radio mic, "I'm falling...and I cannot fly...at all."

In that moment he did not seem like the same Batman from season 1-3 of BTAS.

That one would have at the least had some emotion about what was happening in his voice.

Last edited:
I want to see an animated Superman movie dedicated to his world travels before he dons the costume. That would be cool to see.

Yeah, I liked the more human version of Batman from season 1-3 of BTAS.

I distinctly remember him several times falling, or failing on the 1-3 seasons and showing concern in his face. He would sometimes show the emotion of fear. I mean he would overcome it fast, but he seemed a bit more human.

I really missed that Batman. By the end of JLU Bats could casually beat up supervillains alongside Superman, speak random languages, and survived situations that should have killed him without explaining how he did it. I was so glad when Amanda Waller came along and knocked him down a couple notches.

I probably wouldn't have minded Batgod too much if it weren't for the fact that Superman was getting his ass handed to him with disturbing frequency during the first couple of seasons of JL.

well didnt they want to depower superman a bit during jl so it would make having the whole team more important. Cause if superman is so uber he could take out all the threats alone in mere seconds.

I've never been a fan of depowering characters so that other characters can seem better/more important. That's partly why I stopped reading Spider-man a couple of years ago.

yea i rather each guy be their defined power sets and finding a way to make it work.

Sure, why not? :)

A new cartoon series as some of you guys mention is needed. Supes hasn't got his own show in 10 yrs., while Batman got several since Batman Begins came out. :( :(

well just like with all the legal stuff for movie, they probably dont want to do a cartoon show and get tangled up with legal stuff and all that.

Sure, why not? :)

A new cartoon series as some of you guys mention is needed. Supes hasn't got his own show in 10 yrs., while Batman got several since Batman Begins came out. :( :(

Well there was Superman and the Legion of Superheroes but yeah as he hasnt had a solo show. Wonder if SR's had done better and had a sequel if they would have made a cartoon series.

well just like with all the legal stuff for movie, they probably dont want to do a cartoon show and get tangled up with legal stuff and all that.

I think the issue with the case has a lot more to do with the early days of the character than what he's grown into. They could easily do a new series that picks up during his first few years as a hero, etc. Like "The Batman" cartoon. Also BTAS only showed his full origin in "Mask of the Phantasm" so you don't have to go back to his origin in an animated series.

That being said, i doubt they'd start a new series until after the new film is out and well recieved. Also the idea of this thread is more about an animated tie-in to the movie which could explore a whole lot of territory that shouldn't be affected by the lawsuit.

I think the issue with the case has a lot more to do with the early days of the character than what he's grown into. They could easily do a new series that picks up during his first few years as a hero, etc. Like "The Batman" cartoon. Also BTAS only showed his full origin in "Mask of the Phantasm" so you don't have to go back to his origin in an animated series.

That being said, i doubt they'd start a new series until after the new film is out and well recieved. Also the idea of this thread is more about an animated tie-in to the movie which could explore a whole lot of territory that shouldn't be affected by the lawsuit.

Yeah a series would only be greenlit if the film did well and merchandise sales did aswell.

though if the legal stuff blocks film stuff, it probably prevents them from having it in animated stuff too i would figure. Talking about origin stuff the heirs have rights too.

I think the animated tie-ins are great if done properly. I know davidtyler wants to see krypton especially the jor-el stuff and I think thats one way the animated stuff can touch on things that aren't necessarily critical to the story that the movie is telling but are interesting none the less. Once again, it depends what the movie is about but I definately think a tie in is a great idea.

I think that the reason why Gotham Knight worked so well is because it was released to coincide with The Dark Knight and not Batman Begins. Also, Animatrix was with along with the Matrix sequels as well and not the beginning of the trilogy. If they would do an animated tie in to the new Superman series then I think that they should wait until the follow up or atleast wait until after the first film is released and then do a kind of animated follow up that won't really effect however they wanna go with the story for the live action sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"