The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my soap box tonight :woot:, I don't get the 'backlash' on Spurs' lack of spending this pre-season, a new stadium doesn't come cheap, that's bound to have an effect on capable quantity of money being available.

I dont think their own fans are too impressed with the lack of spending, coupled with a hike in season ticket prices and yet another delay in when the new stadium is opening back to the end of October now they have just announced. Its probably a combination of these things thats caused the frustration among their own fans at least.

Spurs fans know this is their chance. They won't have a group of talent like this again for a long time. And the more time they waste, the likelier it becomes someone like Kane will leave.

Spurs fans know this is their chance. They won't have a group of talent like this again for a long time. And the more time they waste, the likelier it becomes someone like Kane will leave.

Chance to win the league?

Was disappointed with the transfer window. We have a lot of players that wont make the 25 man squad. We could have sold the likes of nkoudu, sisoko, llorente, janssen and used that money to bring in one or two. I don't see why we have aurier, tripier is better and kwp has played right back for us 4 times gettting two motm awards.

The delay on the stadium is a bummer, hate wembley. Seems it was a problem with the fire suppression system.

We have a good squad though although there may be some lag after the world cup, 9 players in the semis meant a lot didn't start training till last week. Top 4 and try hard for a trophy seem realistic targets. Have to see what arsenal and chelsea are like i guess.

Was disappointed with the transfer window. We have a lot of players that wont make the 25 man squad. We could have sold the likes of nkoudu, sisoko, llorente, janssen and used that money to bring in one or two. I don't see why we have aurier, tripier is better and kwp has played right back for us 4 times gettting two motm awards.

The delay on the stadium is a bummer, hate wembley. Seems it was a problem with the fire suppression system.

We have a good squad though although there may be some lag after the world cup, 9 players in the semis meant a lot didn't start training till last week. Top 4 and try hard for a trophy seem realistic targets. Have to see what arsenal and chelsea are like i guess.

Any plans to go to the new stadium when it's ready?

Any plans to go to the new stadium when it's ready?

I'll be there. Don't have a season ticket but usually get to 4 or 5 games a year. Actually prefer going to the european away games especially than going to wembley.

Fair enough maybe you agree this time in regards to a couple of the rumoured targets, but what happens the next time when the manager (Mourinho or otherwise) actually wants someone that you actually would like the club to bring in & they overrule that? You mentioned that paying over the odds repeatedly for 29/30 year old players is a dangerous precedent to set in a post previously with me & I can somewhat understand what you're saying.. but this here is an even worse precedent to set. Having non-footballing men having an opinion on footballing talent more important than the manager is ludicrous if that is indeed what happened in that last window.. the **** do the Glazer's know about footballing ability or the club's DNA or Woodward for that matter.
You don't need to be a footballing genius to know that spending £120M and 150k a week on two 30 year olds is bad business unless they are extremely special players. Like I said I think Alderweireld would have been a good buy but I'm not bothered about missing out if the bar is being set on the ages of the players we are willing to stump up big money for, as long term I think it's best for the club and the sport in general, it's why I also agree on the planned UEFA initiative that will limit clubs to a €100M net spend per season, something has to be done about the stupidity of the money in the game right now.

It's a bit like giving him a bone covered in dog **** though isn't it? Mourinho doesn't like Felliani that much otherwise he'd be starting him every week. He tends to use him to protect leads when we are getting bombarded by crosses or to try & find us one. He'd never have signed Felliani had he taken over from SAF immediately & probably wanted to keep him because he knew the miserable bastards couldn't be trusted to get a replacement.
Mourinho sees that player he wheels on at the 70 minute mark crucial to his tactics, he had Mikel for the role at Chelsea, he used Diarra for it at Real, it's key and that is why he wanted to keep Fellaini, there was no way we were going to buy a 4th top class CM had he gone when he already has 3 starters, you know who the Fellaini alternative was? Manduzkic, a big striker he could pump it long to and who'd add aerial strength at set pieces. We weren't getting some class CM if Fellaini had gone and I think you're underestimating how much Mourinho values his "qualities" in regards to his tactical approach.

That offer, although I only recall it was for allegedly £15m or so, came at the start of the summer before the World Cup. Valencia only got hurt during pre-season did he not? Darmian should have been long gone before he got to play against Leicester by default.
As I said I believe the issue was the method Juve wanted to use for the payment, basically in installments rather than up front, Juve are tighter than a strippers wardrobe.

That's a good question, maybe, maybe not, I was only using him as an example of how **** our transfer window was. Even if you don't count the likes of Willian or Alderweireld, there were still a whole host of other perfectly acceptable names we'd been connected with & we only managed to land Fred, who seems decent & a 19 year old RB. I'm sure there were probably others as well we don't even know about, like the Dalot deal nobody knew about that till it was pretty much nearly complete.
When you look at the strongest, consistent links we were only really linked with Sandro as a LB and from quite early on Mourinho was talking up Young and Shaw, then the lump signed a new contract and that removed the need for a second CM for better or worse. That left a CB and RW, with the CB none of the options were deemed worth the fee or better than what we had bar Maguire who Leicester were unwilling to sell, and on the RW it was Willian or Perisic, both of whom were deemed too expensive for their talent level and age, Ante Rebic was offered as a younger alternative who has the same grafting style of play, but Mourinho rightfully was unconvinced on his quality, there was no point in Pulisic, Bailey or Malcom as Mourinho didn't want a young flair player out there, he wanted an experienced workhorse winger, the board and Mourinho just had no common ground except on Maguire.

I'll be there. Don't have a season ticket but usually get to 4 or 5 games a year. Actually prefer going to the european away games especially than going to wembley.

Ah nice. It's a very good looking stadium (design) and I'd like to get to a game to check it out too.

Yeah I think the season that Leicester won the league they are still kicking themselves they didnt win it, that was such a great opportunity when a lot of big teams had an off season all at the same time. Might never get a chance like that for quite some time now.

Yeah I think the season that Leicester won the league they are still kicking themselves they didnt win it, that was such a great opportunity when a lot of big teams had an off season all at the same time. Might never get a chance like that for quite some time now.
Yeah, Leicester really took what might be their only chance in our lifetimes. I can't see all of the top teams having a below par season again at the same time, and also at the same time as a lower team manages to put the run of their lives together.

Yeah English football in general was in a bit of a funk back then, all the top teams seemed to be going through rough patches and were all pretty lame in Europe, but you feel like now City and Liverpool are heading in clear direction, Spurs are still a really good crop of players and even United arent as much of a banter side as the Moyes/LVG era. Chelsea and Arsenal are obviously in a transition state now but still have decent players in their squads and may come good under new management. Cant see another Leicester happening again any time shortly.

Zinedine Zidane is eyeing the Premier League and particularly Manchester United as his next managerial career move. [L'Equipe]

Zinedine Zidane is eyeing the Premier League and particularly Manchester United as his next managerial career move. [L'Equipe]

Would be very interesting. Wonder what Mourinho thinks about that article, lol.

A shame he never played in the PL.

Yeah English football in general was in a bit of a funk back then, all the top teams seemed to be going through rough patches and were all pretty lame in Europe, but you feel like now City and Liverpool are heading in clear direction, Spurs are still a really good crop of players and even United arent as much of a banter side as the Moyes/LVG era. Chelsea and Arsenal are obviously in a transition state now but still have decent players in their squads and may come good under new management. Cant see another Leicester happening again any time shortly.

As a whole PL teams were all doing badly in Europe, yeah, but that particular season none of the big guns put a league run together. That's the part I don't see happening again, and if it does, it would have to coincide with a weaker team going on an amazing run again. Probably asking too much.

Kevin De Bruyne suffers knee ligament damage in training, out for at least a couple of months for Man City if reports are accurate. Bit of a blow for them but they have the squad to cope.

Shame as I love watching him play.

Would be very interesting. Wonder what Mourinho thinks about that article, lol.

A shame he never played in the PL.
Kenny Dalglish preferred Tim Sherwood over Zidane. :funny:

Kenny Dalglish preferred Tim Sherwood over Zidane. :funny:

:woot: Oh damn :hehe:

And the first time I ever heard of Zidane was in connection to Wenger so he must also be kicking himself as he probably had a realistic chance to get him (especially with the French contingent at Arsenal) before he got famous.

So I just learned that EPL clubs can still sell players to OS clubs before August 31. Dafuq??

gRqphNwo_o.gif

It means Hazard can still leave us. I know the transfer deadline was always end of August but this still sucks. F**k this s**t. :cmad:
n5VUXC9W_o.gif

Yeah its the stupid position Prem teams voted themselves into, now all the teams have to sweat for a month on the prospect of losing a Hazard, Pogba or Kane and then can only try and loan in a player as a replacement.

Seems odd that they would make it harder for themselves but from what I remember last year, the top teams were against it but the lesser teams were more in favour and out numbered the top 6 in the voting, something along those lines anyway.

A teams season could yet be totally messed up by it.

Athletico beat Madrid in the Super Cup final after 3 late goals!

Yeah its the stupid position Prem teams voted themselves into, now all the teams have to sweat for a month on the prospect of losing a Hazard, Pogba or Kane and then can only try and loan in a player as a replacement.

Seems odd that they would make it harder for themselves but from what I remember last year, the top teams were against it but the lesser teams were more in favour and out numbered the top 6 in the voting, something along those lines anyway.

Yep, so dumb.

I thought the loan window was for EPL clubs only now? I thought that was it for PL clubs now in terms of signing players? They can still be sold by PL clubs, but no more in comings?

Teams only have to sell players they want to. They can turn down any bids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"