Sequels The Original Cast Appreciation Thread

And people still made an outcry about Rogue that created a bad buzz for the movie, funny huh? :oldrazz:

Not really. The hardcore fans would have went ape **** if it was Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey or Gambit getting the cut . Rogue is one of the most popular characters. People want to see her done justice and get more screen time and action, not get cut and be teased of an apperance. Of course thats gonna piss off hardcore Rogue fans, but that will not impact the films box office at all.

Not saying this is everyone but there are people on here who don't read comics, or were introduced to films first. They are Rogue fans cause of Anna's performance.

When did I say I want the focus to be entirely in the OT cast?

Why were you replying to my early posts that were specifically on the subject then? That's why I posted that's hardly the point the last page. You always replied sarcastically like you were disagreeing and yet seemed to be missing the general idea I was debating or just choosing to ignore it. It wasn't about having two Magnetos in DOFP, or DOFP's FC roster compared to the Future one. Your picking bits and pieces then switching it about something else.

My initial post was a reply to Psylockolussus about having an all focused OT cast in 2018, and why that would not be such a good idea switching the main focus that late. And that if they wanted an OT only focused film they should A. release it right after DOFP or B. Make sure they have decent roles in Apocalypse to keep them relevant. Everything I said was based around that. I repeat, Im not bashing them returning. Otherwise I wouldn't be too happy right now with DOFP. I'm saying returning late is bad when DOFP is their window. DOFP is the return that people will be excited for. After that it's gone. It will not have the same effect later.

If they are gone for too long without being the focus and then all of a sudden take center stage after new leads are introduced I just don't see that working. Either for FC or the OT's benefit. Lets introduce and cast new lead characters for audiences to like just to go back to the same old ones, even though we could have done that instead from the get go. It looks like bad/confused planning to me. Not every film will be DOFP with old and new versions running around, nor should it be.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's bigger like your saying. But I do think that nostalgia card is being used on DOFP. After this it won't have as strong of an effect. Jean Grey didn't sell lots of tix cause she was advertised in The Wolverine.

Famke Jannsen/Jean Grey was hardly advertised in The Wolverine.

The original cast coming back gave DOFP the hype that was lacking in First Class and The Wolverine. The OT cast coming back also gave DOFP an early start in awareness and online buzz and I think at the box-office, it will pay-off. Also the original cast are very prominent in the marketing.

With X-Men: Apocalypse, if the original cast aren't included, I bet things will be quieter.

We shall see Psylockolossus, we shall see.

With X-Men: Apocalypse, if the original cast aren't included, I bet things will be quieter.

I just don't think set pictures of Apocalypse, the younger version of Cyclops, Jean and Storm will have more buzz than, let's say: Professor X meeting his younger version, Halle Berry coming back doing a X-Men film after all these years, Wolverine time-traveling, Sentinels, two time periods.

Its buzz would be more similar to First Class. In First Class, we are getting introductions to the younger version of Professor X, Magneto, Mystique and Beast and there's a new group of villains, The Hellfire Club. In Apocalypse, its the same but with different characters, the younger version of Cyclops, Jean and Storm and instead of the Hellfire Club, its Apocalypse.

Though I think the big difference with this is this franchise is in much better shape compare to 2010. I think people would be more interested to see Apocalypse than First Class. But bigger than Days of Future Past? I doubt it.

The return of OT cast is exciting people for DOFP well except for those who
hate on every Fox marvel film or those who wanted them to move forward like FC was complete reboot. DOFP may be Avengers of X-men films but it's hard
to call Apocalypse the iron man 3 or age of ultron of X-men franchise.

1:Forgeting the fact I hated Iron Man 3 the reason for it's sucess was hungar for next adventre In advenger suniverse and Robert Downey JR. If Hugh jackman
Isn't In Apocalypse which could happen with third wolverine coming so soon after Apocalypse they lost their biggest star.The downey of X-Men series.
DOFP will show if Jennifer Lawrence being In film helps with the hungar games
audence
2:Some are being naive If they think Mcavoy,Fassbender,lawrence,and Hoult aren't going to be heavily featured In last film they are contracted for.
3:If wolverine Isn't In APocalypse Gambit may be new character who gets the focus with the FC big guns and Apocalypse.Let's hope Fox doesn't look to thor the dark world and have more focus on Magneto than Apocalypse
4:Some here want them to totally disregard other films.If they do that there Is no gurantee Cyclops,Jean,and storm will all be In Apocalypse.STorm In comics joined with wolverine the idea of storm joining with cyclops and jean
comes not from comics but first X-men film.The one some here want them to now disregard
5:With exception of Loki and Selvig all major characters from avengers return
for Age of ultron
although Nick fury and maria Hill may only be cameos after events of winter solder as Samuel L jackson has hinted at
Apocalypse will only have at this stage 4 returning characters
although havok,Quicksilver,and toad could also join Xavier,Magneto,Mystique,
and Beast In APocalypse
6:Younger or new versions of established characters don't always lead to GA
rushing to theatres like they do seeing versions of characters they know
7:Some act like OT cast Is over the hill.Only Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen
fit the old catergy. Samuel L Jackson Is older than most of X-Men cast save stewart and Mckellen. Tom Cruise Is in his 50's and still doing Mission Impossible films.
8:Lawrence Is almost certinly done after Apocalypse.Hoult may join her out the door.And It's ubclear if Mcavoy and Fassbender will be willing to remain.Meanwhile the OT cast has shown they are willing to return for more
films.Halle Berry even publicy lobbed fans to ask rothman for X4

That much later after introducing new actors with Jean, Scott, Ororo, Gambit and Nightcrawler in Apocalypse? No, I don't think people will care as much about the OT returning in their own film at that point. Who's gonna want to leave that line up? If Apocaylpse casts well, people will want those new actors focused and continued on. They can't start something then drop it. Won't work well for them.

If they were to continue with the OT as main players in their own film, it needs to happen before they introduce/set up new actors in those crucial fan favorite roles. Or they need to have significant roles in Apocalypse.

Ya pretty much. As an OT fan, I want them to return, but it will look unlikely if XM:A drops them completely.

Maybe they'll get more development, but kicking more ash? Doubt it.

C'mon now. We're talking about 2 major characters with huge powers, in a film that will likely be at least twice the budget of the last Singer film that featured them. Add to that well over 10 years worth of advancing special effects, constant fan ranting about wasting Cyclops, and Singer getting a second chance at Jean after she was wasted in TLS.

Their younger versions are garunteed to make a splash in Apocalypse. bad place, Cyclops opening a door would be a new gold standard for him as far as action is concerned.

Not really. The hardcore fans would have went ape **** if it was Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey or Gambit getting the cut . Rogue is one of the most popular characters. People want to see her done justice and get more screen time and action, not get cut and be teased of an apperance. Of course thats gonna piss off hardcore Rogue fans, but that will not impact the films box office at all.

Not saying this is everyone but there are people on here who don't read comics, or were introduced to films first. They are Rogue fans cause of Anna's performance.

Why were you replying to my early posts that were specifically on the subject then? That's why I posted that's hardly the point the last page. You always replied sarcastically like you were disagreeing and yet seemed to be missing the general idea I was debating or just choosing to ignore it. It wasn't about having two Magnetos in DOFP, or DOFP's FC roster compared to the Future one. Your picking bits and pieces then switching it about something else.

My initial post was a reply to Psylockolussus about having an all focused OT cast in 2018, and why that would not be such a good idea switching the main focus that late. And that if they wanted an OT only focused film they should A. release it right after DOFP or B. Make sure they have decent roles in Apocalypse to keep them relevant. Everything I said was based around that. I repeat, Im not bashing them returning. Otherwise I wouldn't be too happy right now with DOFP. I'm saying returning late is bad when DOFP is their window. DOFP is the return that people will be excited for. After that it's gone. It will not have the same effect later.

If they are gone for too long without being the focus and then all of a sudden take center stage after new leads are introduced I just don't see that working. Either for FC or the OT's benefit. Lets introduce and cast new lead characters for audiences to like just to go back to the same old ones, even though we could have done that instead from the get go. It looks like bad/confused planning to me. Not every film will be DOFP with old and new versions running around, nor should it be.

Agreed on every single point you've come up with. Why go through the trouble of hiring actors to play young Scott, Jean, Storm etc. who will probably at least be relatively known, then dump them after one movie?! That just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Not to mention - to your other point, by the time X-Men: Apocalypse comes and goes are people even going to care to see the OT cast in a movie that doesn't come out until 2018?!? Especially if the newer actors in X:A make a big splash.

There's just no sound logic behind going back to the OT after Apocalypse.

I think X-Men Apocalypse should end with some sort of set up or hint towards 2018 being the OT cast return to a full-feature film.

Have the OT cast deal with the ramifications of the 80s fight against Apocalypse. Maybe he returns yet again, stronger from fighting their younger versions (and maybe he comes with more adversaries, Mr. Sinister, Dark Beast, Sugar Man, Horsemen, etc.)

That way, the OT and FC casts' stories are still intertwined. It'll give the next chapters of the franchise some sort of loose cohesion, despite the differences in casts and titles (a Wolverine film thrown in the middle will help re-establish to the audience that attention should be shifted once again the present-day OT cast).

And then, I suspect Jackman will end his run as Wolverine (with his last solo and an OT film). The franchise may carry on with an XForce film spinning off from Apocalypse's intro and maybe another OT film w/o Jackman, but I doubt it'll have much longevity after he departs. Give the characters time to rest before a total reboot.

Last edited:

Exactly, if they want this expanded universe to last more then 5 years they have to open the new cast to some sort of longevity. The new actors in Apocalypse should be able to last at least 6 years. Not just one film.

They will just have to recast again near 2020-22 if they did that and start from scratch, unless the OT are willing to sign multi picture deals through 2025. In which case alot of characters in that timline would probably be new anyways.

Last edited:
Exactly, if they want this expanded universe to last more then 5 years they have to open the new cast to some sort of longevity. The new actors in Apocalypse should be able to last at least 6 years. Not just one film.

Exactly. They need somewhere to anchor this expanded universe and bouncing back and forth between times does the complete opposite of that.

Eternally basing the universe in the past isn't a great idea either.

Casting younger main characters for Apocalypse is natural progression, but while discarding them right away might seem counter-productive, you've got to keep in mind that the core 4 are actually about to enter their last contracted shoot.

Casting younger main characters for Apocalypse is natural progression, but while discarding them right away might seem counter-productive, you've got to keep in mind that the core 4 are actually about to enter their last contracted shoot.

But the new ones are not signed at all yet and can hold a franchise without Mags and Mystique. Magneto and Mystique have been used plenty and Mcavoy is really the only one required to return. Everyone will have to make new deals be it new or old, but I would assume they will sign the new Scott, Jean, Strom, Gambit up for a multi pic deal. Plus Logans got it made right now. He's available everywhere when neeeded. If Singer wants him back, Hugh will more then likely show. Past or present.
Eternally basing the universe in the past isn't a great idea either.
Honestly it's a headache one way or the other. The OT is not gonna be the same after this film, so some of those events will be different and probably need a new set up. The first trilogy will not be as relevant with Jeans story being wrapped up in TW and the after math of DOFP. FC, TW, DOFP TW2 and XM:A will be the films most important in moving forward. All which are mainly focused on Wolverine or FC.

If this film doesn't close the OT off with a proper goodbye then they need to find focus and not flip flop in the next decade. If they want a new main cast in the past then focus on that with possible supporting roles for the OT when required with time travel (like they are doing now). If they even attempt AOA, then that's a reason for everyone to be back. But if they want the main focus with an all OT led film then they need to go that way instead now. Don't lag on making people think it's gonna be something else. That's just off.

Last edited:
I think X-Men Apocalypse should end with some sort of set up or hint towards 2018 being the OT cast return to a full-feature film.

Have the OT cast deal with the ramifications of the 80s fight against Apocalypse. Maybe he returns yet again, stronger from fighting their younger versions (and maybe he comes with more adversaries, Mr. Sinister, Dark Beast, Sugar Man, Horsemen, etc.)

I agree and Apocalypse seems like the type of villain, who comes back from time to time. Would be a waste if they only feature him once.

Box-office potential rings a bell.

The OT cast wouldn't be back for the 7th X-Men film IF only First Class turned out to be more successful at the box-office.

Last edited:
The OT cast wouldn't be back for the 7th X-Men film IF only First Class turned out to be more successful at the box-office.

They are needed for this story, and you are aware of that. There's a new interview with Jackman and Mcavoy where they both confirm this is more a FC sequel. They could have done this story with the original cast only if they wanted.

Again, we shall see when they have an A list roster like the future does. If that fails to match the previous box office like you are assuming and the OT Cast are the only thing that can bring the franchise $$$$. Then that obviously would be a better path financially.

But There isn't even an X-Men team in the past right now, and the 60s only had 1 familiar X-Men on the team. That will not be the case in 2016. They also will be following a hopefully good movie (DOFP) not one of the worst (X-Men Origins). Makes a big difference.

Last edited:
If you think they are ONLY brought back for the story and not for additional boost at the box-office, then you don't know how the movie industry works. Movie studios won't be releasing sequels after sequels with the same cast if they don't think the money is there.

And yes we know this is more a FC sequel and no one saying it isn't. But still half of First Class' cast was dumped and yet most of the cast from X3 are back and they are accompanied with new mutants.

And just like some people said before "we are now living in a post-Avengers world". So Fox doesn't operate like sequel after sequel anymore. Well they stopped operating like that since they decided to make Origins: Wolverine which was a prequel. As much as I think it would be better if they release the 5th OT cast after DOFP, they have other options right now, another First Class movie, another Wolverine movie. But that doesn't mean the OT cast are already disposable because last time I checked, they are one of the big reasons for the hype of this movie and Fox are including them in marketing materials.

Last edited:
If you think they are ONLY brought back for the story and not for additional boost at the box-office, then you don't know how the movie industry works.
Oh I think this story was specifically chosen to boost box office. It looks huge. Not arguing that at all. They could have dropped FC though, with your argument.
And yes we know this is more a FC sequel and no one saying it isn't. But still half of First Class' cast was dumped and yet most of the cast from X3 are back and they are accompanied with new mutants.

Then why is Apocalypse and DOFP gonna be following a younger crew? Why not just go right to the OT for their biggest villain? The studio wants more money and only the OT cast can deliver that right?

TBH, I never thought I'd see the day where you think an Apocalypse movie with a very strong X-Men roster won't make more then Days Of Future past.

Last edited:
They could have dropped FC though, with your argument.

Yeah drop the FC cast and just hire a new cast to represent the other timeline? That doesn't seem like a smart decision given that the FC cast already signed up for 2 more films.

Then why is Apocalypse gonna be following a younger crew? Why not just go right to the OT for their biggest villain?

Like I said before, Fox is probably wants to complete a FC trilogy and they already said before that they intended to do a FC trilogy, a prequel series to the original trilogy. Introducing the younger version of Cyclops/Jean/Storm perfectly fits into their agenda.

And about Apocalypse, just because he's meeting up with the FC cast first, it doesn't mean he wouldn't meet up with the original cast. They could easily jump back to the present period and bring him back to fight against the older version of the characters he met before.

TBH, I never thought I'd see the day where you think an Apocalypse movie with a very strong X-Men roster won't make more then Days Of Future past.

Why not?

On paper, 2 cast coming together, Sentinels, two time-periods, dystopian future time travel sounds bigger to me than Apocalypse + younger version of Cyclops, Jean Grey and Storm. And as of right now, we don't know the complete X-Men roster of Apocalypse. Right now, it looks like Days of Future Past has a bigger cast and roster.

Plus if you ask a lot of people who isn't very aware of the X-Men universe, do you think people will choose Apocalypse over Days of Future Past? I don't think so.

Yeah drop the FC cast and just hire a new cast to represent the other timeline? That doesn't seem like a smart decision given that the FC cast already signed up for 2 more films.

But money talks right? Just cause they sign contracts doesn't mean they have to make it with them. An all OT film could have easily been green lit post FC.

Plus if you ask a lot of people who isn't very aware of the X-Men universe, do you think people will choose Apocalypse over Days of Future Past? I don't think so.

I've seen the fan hopes for X-Men movies on here for years as well as many other sites. And Apocalypse is almost always chosen as the biggest X flick by alot of people. It's a much larger/epic story that spands tons of issues. Especially if they ever move into AOA.

There's a reason they dropped that X-Men title that far in advance. It only boosts the hype for DOFP. Extremely popular X-Men villain.

Last edited:
But money talks right? They didn't need to sign them again.

Fox already signed them up for 2 more films and it was already expected they were gonna comeback for another film. So ditching all of them wasn't an option. It also saves time rather than looking for another set of cast members to represent the other time period. And I wasn't suggesting to dump them in this film just because the OT cast has finally returned. So I don't get what you're saying.

I've seen the fan hopes for X-Men movies on here for years as well as many other sites. And Apocalypse was is almost always chosen as the biggest X flick by alot of people. It's a much larger/epic story that spands tons of issues. Especially if they ever move into AOA.

There's a reason they dropped that X-Men title that far in advance. It only boosts the hype for DOFP.

Again, the mainstream viewers doesn't care about that if the fans is hoping for Apocalypse for years and Singer already said "Apocalypse will be more of an origin story". So I'm not expecting horsemen, Age of Apocalypse storyline and end of the world scenarios.

The only thing that seems bigger in Apocalyse is they have a more threatening villain but it doesn't mean it will top the Sentinels that are being featured in the future period of DOFP.

And I don't get what you're saying "they dropped that X-Men title" huh what?

Fox already signed them up for 2 more films and it was already expected they were gonna comeback for another film. So ditching all of them wasn't an option. It also saves time rather than looking for another set of cast members to represent the other time period. And I wasn't suggesting to dump them in this film just because the OT cast has finally returned. So I don't get what you're saying.

Just cause people are signed doesn't mean they need to make those movies. We would have alot more sequels in the world if that was the case. Fantastic Four was a 3 movie deal as an example.

And I don't get what you're saying "they dropped that X-Men title" huh what?
Means they released the title of the new X-Men movie. Noticed it's a confusing use of slang. My bad.

Last edited:
Just cause people are signed doesn't mean they need to make those movies. We would have alot more sequels in the world if that was the case. Fantastic Four was a 3 movie deal as an example.

Again, Fox said back in 2011 that they intended to a First Class trilogy and at the same time, they were considering doing a X-Men 4 and that X4 leads to X5. And when Lauren Shuler Donner was asked about X-Men 4 she brought up DOFP.

And what we are gonna right now, is the 2nd chapter from the First Class trilogy mix in with the OT cast which makes this film also a X-Men 4. And the story is inspired by Days of Future Past. Also, add in the Avengers factor. A lot of factors went in to this.

Who knows if that "X4 leads to X5" that was said by Donner is already in play. That X4 is DOFP and X5 is the 2018 film.

Means they released the title of the new X-Men movie.

I don't know what you're talking about. If you mean the 2018 Untitled Fox / Marvel movie. They could be keeping it secret for now, since its too early to reveal.

I don't know what you're talking about. If you mean the 2018 Untitled Fox / Marvel movie. They could be keeping it secret for now, since its too early to reveal.

No, Im saying there is a reason they released the title of Apocalypse before DOFP was ever released. He's a big deal, and that only boosts DOFP's hype.

They probably want to spread the word early, other studios like Sony/Disney already reserved dates and it was Fox's turn and like you said boost the DOFP's hype but thats not an indication it will be bigger than DOFP.

Apocalypse may not have any OT cast Including Hugh jackman In it.

That's like doing Avengers sequel with half the cast Including Robert Downey JR not coming back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"