The Outsider

I'm liking it a lot so far.

We're a fifth of the way through the miniseries so far, and from what I can remember I was quite a bit deeper into the book at this point in the story, so I'm wondering how they'll fill the remaining episodes.

Bumping this thread since another has been started

Yeah, I got a very big True Detective meets The Night Of vibe from this. Bateman was great in both episodes and his conversation with Mendelsohn at the start of episode 2 was an Emmy-worthy moment.

Loved the first two episodes. :D Very true to the book.

Perhaps one of the mods can merge the 2 threads.

I like that seemingly every character gets to drop an oddly specific bit of historical trivia.

Bateman brought me to gahdamn tears. I never realized how capable he was as an actor, but he really can communicate a lot with just a look. Helluva director too.

This show really concerns me, on one hand it's HBO and a miniseries which means it could be an instant classic, on the other hand, it's from current Stephen King which means it could fall into mediocre territory really quick.

So far so good though.

I haven't read the book its based on but I really liked the first two episodes. Bateman is turning out to be a very solid director.
and I was surprised his character died right away.

Can someone merge the two threads?

Merged :up:

Really enjoyed the first two eps and I’m looking forward to the rest. Surprised with what happened to you know who too...

You'd probably have been more surprised in the book. Up to that point, I was thinking he was the main character and Ralph was more of an antagonist.

This is giving me major True Detective vibes especially the score.

What happened to Jack and Jessa’s recounting of her “dream” are so eerie! I’m liking Holly too. So is the
monster/doppelgängers/whatever it is called now turning to Jack? Jessa described it as muscly with tattoos... and what’s the connection of the murder of those sisters?! Aaahhhhh

I've read the book. I am giving nothing away. :D

Haha yes don’t give me book spoilers! :oldrazz: But you have my permission to laugh at my questions if they’re soooo off the mark. :p

Watched the first 3 episodes and yeah I'm loving this already. I was originally going to wait until the whole season came out and binge it all at once, but my curiosity got the better of me. Mendelsohn and Bateman are have been fantastic in this so far and I'm definitely getting the same creepy and dread fill atmosphere vibes I was getting from both True Detective and The Night Of which is great, because it definitely has that Stephen King horror feel.

Speaking of King though I don't know of this actually counts as a spoiler, because I don't actually think it is, but is Cynthia Erivo's character supposed to be the same character from Mr. Mercedes, but played by a different actress? I ask because both are named Holly Gibney and they seem to have the same social disorder character traits. I know it can't be a coincidence, especially since I have heard so many times how all the Stephen King books and movies are supposed to be connected and in the same universe.

Speaking of King though I don't know of this actually counts as a spoiler, because I don't actually think it is, but is Cynthia Erivo's character supposed to be the same character from Mr. Mercedes, but played by a different actress?

Yes.

I prefer how she was portrayed on Mr. Mercedes compared to here.
I haven't decided yet which is better. I do wish they had kept the same actress for both and connected the two series together like the books. It would better explain how she's so open to the supernatural.

I haven't decided yet which is better. I do wish they had kept the same actress for both and connected the two series together like the books. It would better explain how she's so open to the supernatural.
The main reason why I like the one from Mr. Mercedes better is because I am use to her for 3 years now. So when I see her or hear her name I am expecting her mannerisms and voice. I am not saying the one on this show won't do good as well it's just it's going to take time to win me over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"