The Penguin Casting Thread

Jack NIcholson was as old as Stuhlberg when he was the Joker. The Penguin doesn't need to be young. In fact, none of these villains need to be young.

Yes of course. I just prefer Oswald and Bruce to be around the same age so they can have that childhood friends/business rivals dynamic ala the Telltale games. Old Penguin should work just fine.

I’m telling you guys... Adam Sandler

they’re going after comedians for the part. He’s the guy. Him or Steve Carrell.

such a shame jonah opted for going for riddler over penguin

just go watch war dogs he is a straight psychopath in that film

How has Dan Fogler been on The Walking Dead?

To really be bold, layered, and a uniquely distinct Batman film with substance and style, casting someone multi-talented like Ed Sheeran as Oswald would be ingenious.

Penguin could run a social party club similar to how he does in TAS, and his opening entrance shot could be a really cool brief song just to intro the character. Having an actor with a fine musical talent would really fit the musical quality and poetic nature of Penguin

To really be bold, layered, and a uniquely distinct Batman film with substance and style, casting someone multi-talented like Ed Sheeran as Oswald would be ingenious.

Penguin could run a social party club similar to how he does in TAS, and his opening entrance shot could be a really cool brief song just to intro the character. Having an actor with a fine musical talent would really fit the musical quality and poetic nature of Penguin
tumblr_mf2aquKfVJ1rlbvwso1_400.gif

Umm ... this would surely halve the box office intake, as anyone remotely cool would skip the movie, altogether.

Last edited:
It's too bad Oliver Platt is tall, because he has the kind of vibe I think would work for Penguin.

I dunno. For some reason I think getting a very large actor to play Penguin could still be interesting. The nickname becomes ironic.

Something I didn't think about before (until the Hobbit was mentioned in another thread), but could open the door for a much taller actor to play the part: do what they did in the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit trilogies. John Rhys Davies played Gimli, a dwarf, and is 6'1. Richard Armitage played Thorin, another dwarf, and is 6'2. Look at them next to Viggo Mortensen (5'11), Orlando Bloom (5'11) and Ian McKellen (5'11)
13-gandalf-aragorn-legolas-gimli.jpg

ThorinGandalf-Valinor-001.jpg

Something I didn't think about before (until the Hobbit was mentioned in another thread), but could open the door for a much taller actor to play the part: do what they did in the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit trilogies. John Rhys Davies played Gimli, a dwarf, and is 6'1. Richard Armitage played Thorin, another dwarf, and is 6'2. Look at them next to Viggo Mortensen (5'11), Orlando Bloom (5'11) and Ian McKellen (5'11)
13-gandalf-aragorn-legolas-gimli.jpg

ThorinGandalf-Valinor-001.jpg
That’s not a bad idea at all :hmm

Yes of course. I just prefer Oswald and Bruce to be around the same age so they can have that childhood friends/business rivals dynamic ala the Telltale games. Old Penguin should work just fine.

Personally I always pictured Penguin being older than Batman by a good few years. Ever since his conception Penguin looked older;

pegy.jpg

Then the casting of Burgess Meredith who was 20 years older than Adam West just about cemented that for me. Most artists through the years kind of always maintained that more mature/older Penguin image;

DIG063545-SX1280-QL80-TTD.jpg

Penguin-Pain-and-Prejudice-1-Cover-1.jpg

Even in the Gotham TV show, Penguin is the only villain who I felt was right being a young man up to no good while Bruce was still a child. Apart from the immortal Ra's of course. I'm not opposed to a younger Penguin, but if I had the choice I prefer the more mature looking one.

Personally I always pictured Penguin being older than Batman by a good few years. Ever since his conception Penguin looked older;

pegy.jpg

Then the casting of Burgess Meredith who was 20 years older than Adam West just about cemented that for me. Most artists through the years kind of always maintained that more mature/older Penguin image;

DIG063545-SX1280-QL80-TTD.jpg

Penguin-Pain-and-Prejudice-1-Cover-1.jpg

Even in the Gotham TV show, Penguin is the only villain who I felt was right being a young man up to no good while Bruce was still a child. Apart from the immortal Ra's of course. I'm not opposed to a younger Penguin, but if I had the choice I prefer the more mature looking one.

I think I just prefer Telltale's take because I don't have that much knowledge about Penguin. I haven't read any comic where he's the main villain, so the only exposure that I get of that character is from the Telltale's game. I know that he's supposed to be older than Batman, but I don't really have a connection with that image.

On the other hand, the idea that's he's Bruce's childhood friend and was also born into a rich family but later turned evil because of his circumstances seems really interesting to me. So... I guess I just need to read more comics to get a better grasp of who he is :oldrazz:.

They are looking for actors in the 30-40 age range, so Reeves wants a younger Penguin it seems

Yeah that's also one of the reasons why I said Stuhlbarg was a tad too old.

Paul Walter Hauser makes a lot of sense right now. I have to think he's at least talked to Reeves about it.

But why? Is he that good of an actor? It just seems like his name is being thrown around because he's fat.

^
He's solid and been getting bigger roles lately, lead role in a Clint Eastwood film this year.

And he literally wants to play Penguin, made a 'audition tape' a year ago. It's decent. He's trying a little too hard in the clip imo, but he's got real potential. I'd be 100% ok if it went his way.

Penguin's tough in terms of fan casting without the knowledge of the type of Penguin Reeve's is going to go for, or the type of actor he has in mind.

There really hasn't been a very consistent portrayal of Penguin in live action . We've gone from Meridith to Devito to Lord -Taylor. All them have been different physically and personality wise as Oswald Cobblepot.

I can't tell if Reeve wants to go somewhere in line with the previous portrayals or take the character in a totally new direction.

Hmm. Well, it's certainly a specific take he's got going on. And at least he does feel over the top enough to play the Penguin. But I still thinks he lacks that erudite quality to play him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"