Supergirl The posse............why??

Shazam

Sidekick
Reaction score
Why is there a need for Flash and now Supergirl, to have this group of people attached to them? Batman has one in the comics.....his sidekicks....Alfred....But Supergirl?

Also, the guy named Hank Henshaw?? Will he be Cyborg Superman next season??

Why is there a need for Flash and now Supergirl, to have this group of people attached to them? Batman has one in the comics.....his sidekicks....Alfred....But Supergirl?

Also, the guy named Hank Henshaw?? Will he be Cyborg Superman next season??

The reason Supergirl has her 'superfriends' is that Greg Berlanti has said that they found keeping the hero's identity a secret was rather cumbersome and limiting on previous shows, so they decided right from the first episode of Supergirl to let the key people in on Kara's identity. Also, CBS is known for procedural type dramas, and so the writers sculpted the show to be more of a team with a superhero at its heart, rather than a single lone hero. As the series progresses you'll see that each of Kara's superfriends will go own their own journey.

As for Cyborg Superman -- unlikely he will be Cyborg Superman. But he may be cyborg somebody... :)

R5

Flash has an entire Flash family in the comics.

But no matter the character, they will have supporting characters that help expand their world and help them directly. That's how tv works.

-Because just watching the heroes just by themselves gets boring after awhile.
-It solves the potentially problematic "keeping the secret identity from their friends/loved ones for no good reason" cliché.
-Why not have a support system helping her? It makes total sense.

Because the Berlanti Formula works.

Pretty much every modern comic book character has "friends and allies" in some sense.

Ditto pretty much any character.

Not all that unique a concept.

Also Batman has more than just Alfred. He has, to one degree or another:

-Alfred.
-Commissioner Gordon.
-Nightwing.
-Batgirl.
-Robin.
-Red Robin.
-Batgirl.
-Lucius Fox.
-Batwing.
-Bluebird.
-Spoiler.
-Cassandra Cain.
-Etc.

For such a "brooding loner," he sure has A LOT of friends/allies as part of his "posse."

Also Batman has more than just Alfred. He has, to one degree or another:

-Alfred.
-Commissioner Gordon.
-Nightwing.
-Batgirl.
-Robin.
-Red Robin.
-Batgirl.
-Lucius Fox.
-Batwing.
-Bluebird.
-Spoiler.
-Cassandra Cain.
-Etc.

For such a "brooding loner," he sure has A LOT of friends/allies as part of his "posse."

This is why I have a problem buying Batman as a lone operator. It's pointless for comics writers to pretend that he's a loner when he has a lot of operatives that you listed.

Comics writers haven't pretended he's a loner, though. They're the ones who have been writing him and his interaction with all these allies.

It's more like his tendency towards paranoia/suspicion/secrecy tends to cause tension with said friends/allies. I've always been fond of the idea that Bruce wants a "family" since he lost one at such a young age, so he's either consciously or subconsciously surrounding himself with a surrogate one.

Because a hero who doesn't interact with other characters in meaningful ways makes for boring TV, and if he's going to interact with them, might as well involve them in the whole plot, not just irrelevant sideplots.

wrong thread. Mods please delete.

Last edited:
The reason Supergirl has her 'superfriends' is that Greg Berlanti has said that they found keeping the hero's identity a secret was rather cumbersome and limiting on previous shows, so they decided right from the first episode of Supergirl to let the key people in on Kara's identity. Also, CBS is known for procedural type dramas, and so the writers sculpted the show to be more of a team with a superhero at its heart, rather than a single lone hero. As the series progresses you'll see that each of Kara's superfriends will go own their own journey.

As for Cyborg Superman -- unlikely he will be Cyborg Superman. But he may be cyborg somebody[/I]... :)

R5

Did you see Hank Henshaw's eyes at the end of episode two??

http://www.hypable.com/supergirl-hank-henshaw-cyborg-superman/

I was just thinking that I love the team dynamics of the three DC shows. I do think that it's abit coincidental that there is always a team for these heroes, actually kind of makes you think when they do the next one (we know we're gonna get another new hero eventually) of they'll ditch the team altogether as it could become stale and overused.

I was just thinking that I love the team dynamics of the three DC shows. I do think that it's abit coincidental that there is always a team for these heroes, actually kind of makes you think when they do the next one (we know we're gonna get another new hero eventually) of they'll ditch the team altogether as it could become stale and overused.

I agree...It's kinda tired..... too Dawson Creek ish...... That's why I loved Netflix Daredevil. One or two people he can trust. But not always this team...

I agree...It's kinda tired..... too Dawson Creek ish...... That's why I loved Netflix Daredevil. One or two people he can trust. But not always this team...

Well I actually like it on the three shows tbh but I think anymore and it's gonna have been done to death.

Frankly the whole "brooding lone hero who keeps secrets from people for no good reason" is what's been done to death, both in the comics and in other media. This is a refreshing change of pace by comparison. And I'll never understand this notion that some fans have that the hero "going it alone" somehow makes them "more heroic." As if asking/having backup/help makes them look "weak" or something. I find that to be a ludicrous notion personally.

Frankly the whole "brooding lone hero who keeps secrets from people for no good reason" is what's been done to death, both in the comics and in other media. This is a refreshing change of pace by comparison. And I'll never understand this notion that some fans have that the hero "going it alone" somehow makes them "more heroic." As if asking/having backup/help makes them look "weak" or something. I find that to be a ludicrous notion personally.

It's about having a balance though, if they keep giving these heroes a team they can rely on its gonna get tiresome. What's interesting about Legends of Tomorrow is that's gonna be a team ala the Justice League or the Teen Titans, etc. so that to me is gonna be a different aspect. I just think the next one they need to have someone on their own, they can always have someone to rely on with their secret but as for the headsets talking to Oracle aspect I think they need to leave that alone. Just because a hero is solo they don't need to be brooding either buof they could and should be able to go out alone. I actually think the team dynamics have been created more for exposition than anything else, gives our characters someone to bounce off etc.

I do agree with what you're getting at with your post though.

It wasn't produced by Berlanti and Co., but Constantine is exactly the kind of break from routine that you're looking for.

That show is also cancelled. But we were specifically talking about Berlanti shows

Cancelled or not, it exists as an official part of the Berlanti DCTV universe now, and therefore counts as providing what you're looking for as far as being a break from the routine of its sibling series.

Cancelled or not, it exists as an official part of the Berlanti DCTV universe now, and therefore counts as providing what you're looking for as far as being a break from the routine of its sibling series.

It's one series though and it's over. I also don't think John Constantine counts as a bonfire superhero like the Green Arrow, the Flash and Supergirl. He's quite different and the show was quite different aswell in terms of not feeling like a superhero show.

I didn't say I was looking for a break from the routine I just said if they did another superhero show about another solo hero they shouldn't do the whole Team Superhero thing again.

Bit of friendly advice aswell you need to change your tone, really the way you speak to people is quite disgusting.

Last edited:

Except for the part where Constantine also had a "posse" in Chas and Zed. Which would be technically 1 less than Supergirl is you are counting Alex, Olsen and Schott as her posse. Shaw I see more as a Manny type character.

Last edited:
Most heroes that are popular and have been around a long time build up a strong network of supporting characters and/or sidekicks. It gives them something to fight for, people to protect, goals to work towards, different personalities to play off.

Batman - Alfred, Dick, Tim, Jason, Damien, Stephanie, Cassie, Helena, Catwoman, Gordon, Bullock, Leslie Thompkins, Ace, Renee Montoya, Barbara, Lucius Fox, etc

Superman - Supergirl, Superboy, Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Perry White, the Kents, etc

Flash (depending on your favorite) - Barry Allen, Wally West, Bart Allen, Jay Garrick, Joan Garrick, Iris, Patty, Singh, Frye, Pied Piper, Solovar, Max Mercury, Johnny Quick, Tina McGee, Jesse Quick, the two sets of Twins, Linda Park, Henry Allen, etc

Green Arrow - Roy Harper, Mia Dearden, Connor Hawke, Black Canary, Hal Jordan

Not to mention friendships (Barry-Hal-Ollie), rivalries (Bats and Supes), team affiliations (JSA, JL, Titans, Young Justice, Birds of Prey, etc)

It seems every hero on television,
Super or not, has a team these days.
I have no problem with Kara's Posse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"