The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episodes I - III' started by Doc Ock, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Paradox1

Paradox1 Well-Known Member

Here is a bit of news I think you'll get a kick out, I found this IGN. ....lol

Is Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith a Work of Art?

Famed art critic calls Episode III the greatest artwork in 30 years.

by Max Nicholson
    November 29, 2012

In her new book called Glittering Images, renowned art critic Camille Paglia analyzes 29 works throughout art history. In the book's final chapter, she makes a rather bold claim in support of George Lucas's Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, calling it the greatest work of art in recent memory.
    In an interview with Vice, Paglia was asked why she felt this particular film stood out among other artworks from artists like Matthew Barney, Rachel Whiteread, Chris Ware or Peter Doig. In reply, Paglia explained, "The long finale of Revenge of the Sith has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off."
    [​IMG]
    Indeed, Paglia continues, Episode III epitomizes the modern digital art movement, more so than other piece from the last 30 years. "I had considered using Japanese anime for the digital art chapter of the book, but it lacked the overwhelming operatic power and yes, seriousness of Lucas's Revenge of the Sith." An interesting choice to represent the emotional and visual power of modern cinema, no?
    Do you agree with Paglia that ROTS is our generation's greatest work of art? Or does another film strike your fancy for the title? Let us know what you think in the Comments.

and here is an official link http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/is-star-wars-revenge-of-the-sith-a-work-of-art

2. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

I love this Paglia guy.

3. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

Well that was refreshing :applaud

4. CoolCadaver49

CoolCadaver49 Not a Hero...

Well, that's certainly an interesting take on things... Can't say that I agree with any of it though.

Bim, I love, and have always loved your avatar. What's it from?

5. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

Thanks! I've no idea where it's from though, since it was Hunter that sent it my way :yay:

6. CGHulk

CGHulk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Paradox1

Paradox1 Well-Known Member

Wow never appreciated how good Natalie portman looks in that costume. An ass like that would make me turn to the darkside too.

8. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

Lol! I do think most of the characters looked their best in AOTC, particularly Anakin and Padme. Although Obi looks awesome in all the films :D

9. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

One thing I really liked was the ending of Revenge of the Sith. The atmosphere, the lighting everything felt like classic Star Wars. The Star Destroyer deck especially was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's not secret I'm not as thrilled over these movies as I was when I was younger but I still think the ending of Sith was great.

10. CGHulk

CGHulk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. DaltonSpidey94

DaltonSpidey94 Active Member

I love the prequels and I like both Revenge of the Sith and The Phantom Menace better than the original trilogy.

Also . . . I love Jar Jar Binks. Yep.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Watched The Phantom Menace today for the first time in what must be 10 years (finally got all the SW films on BD), and it was much better than I remember. There are still some amazingly cringey things in it like "YIPPEE," Jar Jar and some others, but overall I enjoyed it much more than I used too.

Qui-Gon and Darth Maul were awesome, Natalie was a potential hotty along with Keira Knightley in her small role (and we all know they ended up being those hottys now), plus Ewan was awesome as Obi-Wan. Replacing the puppett Yoda with a CGI one was much smoother than I was expecting as well. Consdering I always thought TPM the worst of the series, I cant wait to watch the other prequels again now.

13. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

I thought ROTS in particular was a real treat to watch in blu-ray. I keep noticing things i hadnt before every time i watch.

I also loved CGI Yoda in TPM. The puppet always looked so strange to me lol, i guess i blame the fact that i had only seen the OT and was comparing his looks to that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

^Just watched AOTC earlier as well, that was great to watch on BD, though some of the poorer effects show up, the bits were the CGI was spot on were indeed a treat. Again though AOTC was also better than I remember it, looking forward to watching ROTS.

Yeah CGI Yoda just flowed more naturally for me, the puppet in TPM always looked like exactly what he was, a puppet. This wasnt the case in ESB or ROTJ were the puppet worked well.

15. Gianakin_

AotC took the biggest hit in BR format, its CGI are REALLY dated. TPM is saved by the many real sets and RotS' CGI is mindblowing and still look real.

Puppet Yoda was puss, so glad they used RotS' Yoda to replace it.

16. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

Yeah, i find that out of the prequels AOTC is the one that hasnt aged as well in some parts (like the robot factory bit; it's one of the things about the movie that i dont like much cause it feels unnecesary), especially when compared to the other two. Nice to see the movies have been better than what u remembered though :woot: Enjoy ROTS. I'll say it again: seeing it in blu-ray is a whole new experience.

I just think that TPM puppet contrasted way too much with what we had seen of Yoda in the OT. Something just felt off, and i cant quite tell u what it was.

17. Gianakin_

Didn't help that it was written, designed and shot last minute.

18. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

Yeah, something i wish they hadnt done. I'm one who loved humor, but some of that stuff was just too much for me. 3PO always annoyed me somewhat and that sequence made it worse lol.

19. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I don't care what anyone says, AOTC is my favorite of the Prequels. :o

20. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

People really bash the prequel trilogy too much. It's not as good as the original trilogy, but it still has some cool moments.

21. Gianakin_

Many many more than some, imo.

22. TheIrishAvenger

TheIrishAvenger You are not special.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/exc...ses-lucasfilm-passes-to-focus-on-new-trilogy/

23. Bim

Bim Well-Known Member

I'm sad :csad:

24. MistaBinks

MistaBinks Well-Known Member

Interesting that SW.com said postponed instead of canceled.

I'm curious why many of the media outlets claim that TPM 3D underperformed. How much was it supposed to make? It was a 1999 film that was just released on Blu Ray a few months prior that many people already owned on DVD and VHS. Was it supposed it gross 100 million domestically?

25. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

Terrence Stamp, who played Chancellor Valorum in STAR WARS: EPISODE I- THE PHANTOM MENACE, recently spoke with Empire about his experience working with George Lucas.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/terence-stamp-was-bored-by-his-time-with-star-wars-and-doesnt-think-much-of-george-lucas