The Force Awakens What elements should the new Star Wars movie take from the Expanded Universe?

For those of you around during this time for the prequels (1997'ish), one of the "hot" rumors was that a character from the prequel trilogy would have a seemingly death scene only to return in the sequel trilogy. For whatever reason, that rumor stuck with me (and there were a lot of rumors back then). With the way Windu's death went down, and then that animated fan trailer (which made a very big splash at the time), it just continues to stand out in my mind.

I respectfully disagree. Darth Maul was one of the biggest wastes of a character Ive ever seen. I know they brought him back in the comics, tv, and videogames so I feel you there. But I think actually seeing the real deal again would only benefit the story, as he did nothing but benefit Episode 1. But to your other point, Seeing Mace Windu in the same movie as Luke Skywalker would be wild!

In regards to the thread. I agree with the sentiment that there has to be some type of Skywalker presence, even if its just in passing. However, just the mutterance of the words "Bane" or ""Revan" would be enough of an EU nod for me. There have been some reeeeaaaly good Star Wars stories told on a pretty big scale in the past couple of years with "The Force Unleashed" and "The Old Republic". Those were completely Original stories. Im hopeful that they can continue the trend in the new films.

Well sith or dark Jedi have to come back some way or form...maybe we'll get a nod to those then.

Wait weren't the books, cartoons (clone wars) considered canon with the films? Since there was never really a plan to do any films after ep 6, there hasn't really been any need for discrepancies, so long as they followed the continuity of the events followed by the films..so now that ep 7 is going to happen the stories would likely have to gel with the EU books, no.....?

They don't have to. Lucas erased several R2/3PO and Boba Fett stories from canon with their respective origins in TPM and AotC.

I'd be fine with that, she hasn't been a major character in the EU anyway. Now if they retconned the Solo kids or Mara Jade...THEN I'd be pissed.

I wouldn't mind retconing Anakin and MJ's deaths, though. Jacen could also be turned into a better character. Keep him a skeptic and challenging the views of the Jedi, but not a d-bag.

Sadly though, she wasn't a Mando her whole life. Boba didn't even know he had her until she was in her '30s (maybe '40s).

There is a grand daughter who has been a Mando her whole life though.

Solo kids, Ben Skywalker, Mar Jade, Yuuzhan Vong invasion, and their general storyline. Specifics can all be fair game.

Much as I loathed Fate of the Jedi, with the revelation of there being Episodes 7-9, I'm now more open to them actually doing the storyline that was left somewhat unresolved in those novels. Namely, Abeloth on the loose, and her relationship with the Ones(Father, Daughter and Son) from the Mortis episodes on TCW and the possible threat to the balance of the Force from her.

I hated how that was shoehorned into the story in the final novel... but now I almost have a feeling that it might have been something GL put in the pipeline since he knew this was coming as that book was being written.

I think they should definitely take Ben Skywalker, Jacen & Jaina Solo in the future films. I think VII, VIII, & IX should revolve around Ben Skywalker and him taking on the Skywalker legacy.

Things I wouldn't mind seeing from the EU:

Yuuzhan Vong
One Sith (or some variation of)
Lost Tribe of Sith (or some variation of)
Solo kids
Ben Skywalker
Mara Jade Skywalker
Lumiya
Abeloth
Quinlan Vos
Starkiller/Dark Apprentice
Hidden Jedi Temple from Legacy comics

Crimson Empire Book 1
Dark Empire

Last edited:
I think they should definitely take Ben Skywalker, Jacen & Jaina Solo in the future films. I think VII, VIII, & IX should revolve around Ben Skywalker and him taking on the Skywalker legacy.

I was wondering if they did take the kids, would they just combine Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker together perhaps? And just leave Jaina and Jacen as Leia's kids?

To me, it would make sense since Ben is a replacement of sorts for Anakin anyway.

We need Kyle Katarn. Retcon everything else if you have too (although Mara Jade and the Solo kids would be welcome), but please give me Kyle.

I agree, Kyle would be nice to see.

For those of you around during this time for the prequels (1997'ish), one of the "hot" rumors was that a character from the prequel trilogy would have a seemingly death scene only to return in the sequel trilogy. For whatever reason, that rumor stuck with me (and there were a lot of rumors back then). With the way Windu's death went down, and then that animated fan trailer (which made a very big splash at the time), it just continues to stand out in my mind.

I really don't want to see Sam Jackson come back. He was the worst actor in the trilogy. He can't play a role like Mace Windu, he plays Bad MFer's, Morgan Freeman would have been a much better wise black Jedi on the council.

I was wondering if they did take the kids, would they just combine Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker together perhaps? And just leave Jaina and Jacen as Leia's kids?

To me, it would make sense since Ben is a replacement of sorts for Anakin anyway.

Anakin Solo was pretty much killed be George didn't want 2 Anakins running concurrently in Star Wars.

I really don't want to see Sam Jackson come back. He was the worst actor in the trilogy. He can't play a role like Mace Windu, he plays Bad MFer's, Morgan Freeman would have been a much better wise black Jedi on the council.

Windu has pretty much been consistently written as a BMF outside his brief appearances in the PT... and most of his job in ROTS was to be the Jedi BMF who got p'owned by the Sith BMF.

1. You don't seem to know anything about Sam Jackson's portfolio. Just because you have the image of him as a "baddass" doesnt mean he's not incredibly versatile. and if the role of Mace Windu is the role of "the wise black Jedi", then it probably never mattered to you who was cast anyway.

2. I'm sorry..............................WHO was the worst actor in the trilogy?

Yeah that bit lost me too. Jackson wasn't perfect, but he certainly wasn't bad. Windu didn't have a whole lot to do anyway.

I want it to continue on from where the EU is at now. The surviving Skywalker/Solo kids are Jaina, Ben, and Allana. Lando's son is 'Chance'.

Jaina's husband is Jagged Fel. Ben has a love interest in Vestara Khai. Some of Luke's most powerful Jedi allies are Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, and Kyp Durron. Boba's alive, and has a granddaughter named Mirta Gev.

The Lost Tribe of the Sith are creeping in the shadows and ready to pounce.

The two major retcons I'd like are for Chewbacca and Ackbar to still be alive.

I think Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Talon Karrde are all great ideas to carry over.

Especially Thrawn. It's pretty hard to find a villain who could eclipse - or at least hold serve - in a franchise that has Darth Vader as a villain, but we already know that Thrawn is actually capable of doing that.

I know it'll be an original story and all, but if Lucas plans on having the Imperial Remnant involved at all, it would be a great idea to slip Thrawn in there are the main antagonist.

Anakin Solo was pretty much killed be George didn't want 2 Anakins running concurrently in Star Wars.

Was it George? Or just the editors? I know they ran things by George and he vetoed them, but I doubt he order the kill, so to speak. I think it was the head of the editorial team.

I want it to continue on from where the EU is at now. The surviving Skywalker/Solo kids are Jaina, Ben, and Allana. Lando's son is 'Chance'.

Jaina's husband is Jagged Fel. Ben has a love interest in Vestara Khai. Some of Luke's most powerful Jedi allies are Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, and Kyp Durron. Boba's alive, and has a granddaughter named Mirta Gev.

The Lost Tribe of the Sith are creeping in the shadows and ready to pounce.

The two major retcons I'd like are for Chewbacca and Ackbar to still be alive.

I don't want to see Chewie again, but I know he's a very favorite character and I loved Ackbar's death. He's not an essential SW character to me anyway. Anakin Solo, on the other hand... he needs to be retconned to be alive.

I just don't want it be like an X-Men movie where there's a lot pandering and forced fan service to please people. If Chewie has a cool role or cameo then that's cool. If not, then use him.

I mostly want them to feature characters from the EU, not necessarily storylines. And I'm all for retconning some stuff. Although post-RotJ EU stories are pretty tied, retcon one and it all goes down like a domino.

This is how I feel, perhaps selfishly due to the fact I am not a follower of EU stuff and don't play the games, bad place! I'd even like to see the movie retcon Revan *awaits fanboy ire* :oldrazz:

I'd love to see this pairing in Episode VII.

I don't want to see any of the EU offspring to be honest...and if they introduced Mara, she would have to be the age of Luke...or else then it just gets weird for people who read the books. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"