The Red Star

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
red-star1.jpg
The Red Star is a comic book series by Christian Gossett set in a sci-fi/fantasy world described by Gossett as "Mythic [Soviet] Russia". The "Lands of The Red Star" were inspired by both Russian folklore and military history. The series is thus heavily reminiscent of a post-World War II Soviet Russia mixing technology and sorcery.The 'United Republics of the Red Star', often simply called the 'State' in the comic, are shown to be coterminous with the historical Soviet Union in a map at the beginning of the first issue. The main enemy of the first novels, Al'Istaan, is a stand-in for historical Afghanistan and occupies a similar area of the map.
The first volume centers on Marcus Antares, an infantry platoon leader in the Red Fleet, and his wife Maya Vlasova, a sorceress-major, who become the keys to defeating a brutal enemy.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/warner-bros-snagging-red-star-213067
Warner Bros. is in negotiations to pick up the Soviet-themed sci-fi fantasy comic book series The Red Star, which had been put into turnaround by Universal.
Neal Moritz and his Original Films banner are attached to produce as is Jason Netter of comic-centric shingle Kickstart Productions.
The lavish comic, created by Christian Gossett, first appeared in 1999 and is set in an alternate USSR where futuristic technology and magical elements co-exist. The main character is a soldier in the Red Fleet and his wife, who become keys to defeating a former brutal ruler and his minions.
While at Universal, the project was being developed as a vehicle for Timur Bekmambetov, with Matthew Sand penning a script and Mark Platt producing.

‘Chronicle’ Helmer Josh Trank Lands On ‘The Red Star’ At Warner Bros

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has set Josh Trank to develop to direct The Red Star, an adaptation of a graphic novel that will be scripted by Jason Rothenberg. Neal Moritz will produce through his Original Film shingle. Trank made his feature directing debut on Chronicle and after the $12 million film grossed $116 million and was that rare low budget, no star genre film to receive strong reviews, Trank has been up for much bigger jobs. Among those conversations is the Fantastic Four reboot at Fox and the Spider-Man spinoff Venom at Sony Pictures. But The Red Star is the first one that has led to a deal for a film that has a writer working on the project. The Soviet-themed sci-fi fantasy comic book series was picked up by Warner Bros after Universal let it go. Created by Christian Gossett, the comic is set in an alternate USSR where futuristic technology co-mingles with magical elements. The protagonist is a Red Fleet soldier who goes up against an ex-leader who rules with an iron fist. Rothenberg most recently scripted The Twilight Zone, which Cloverfield helmer Matt Reeves is attached to direct for Warner Bros and Appian Way. Both are repped by WME.

Warner Brothers snatched up Josh Trank. Not surprised.

Calling it now. WB will have him helm Akira after if this does well.

Would Trank want to even tackle Akira though?

He mentioned in an interview recently that he wouldn't even know how to adapt it correctly, when asked about it.

That's not the impression that I've gotten from what I've read and heard from him. If you can find the interview where he said what you're saying that would be cool.

This is what I've read.
Trank said of the US Akira, “It could work, or it could be the worst thing in the world. It’s all on the filmmaker.” - Source

Sure, no problem:

Of course, Trank acknowledges the movie's roots when he says that DeHaan "was my American Tetsuo," an added dimension coming from DeHaan being linked to the role in an American version of "Akira" ("I wouldn't even know how to adapt that correctly," Trank shrugs when asked about the mooted American redo).

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/josh-trank-talks-making-chronicle-his-concerns-about-doing-a-sequel

He's definitely a fan, just not sure if it's something he would want to take on. I'm sure the studio would be interested, though. Trank's currently a hot commodity.

Yeah I guess it's one of those wait and see things. He doesn't seem totally against doing it though based on his comments. He's just unsure of how to approach it which to doesn't completely mean he's against doing it.

If WB lobbies hard enough and gives him enough room he might consider doing it I suppose. Time will tell.

zack snyder said same thing about watchmen and he did a great job

Let's hope this one doesn't stay in development hell.

This has the potential to be the next Watchmen/V for Vendetta. It won't rake in massive dough but it'll be a memorable CBM.

I can't wait too see how Trank handles Red Star.

so did the series have a definite ending or did it just abruptly ended?

To be honest, I was only able to get my hands on volumes 1-3. I never read volume 4 and I didn't hear about anymore volumes coming out. So, I assumed volume 4 was the conclusion.

Yeah the site hasn't been updated since 2009..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"