The return of an old friend/foe of Superman SPOILERS

Miss Webb

Sidekick
Reaction score
She's baaaaack....:wow:

Superman #671. The Insect Queen is here again! Seems like Lex Luthor has some old debt unpaid, and Lana pays the price....alien insect warriors try to abduct some people along with synthetic fiber machines and nutrition supplies. Their plan...the moon! And a certain redhead is captured and taken there because Lex is absent. The hive on earth self destructs when Superman wants answers. They leave a strange odor and trail of moondust. The artwork is great, some of Clark's expressions are priceless.

Meanwhile, Lana gets a shock on the moon...its Invasion of the Body Snatchers all over again!

And the Queen gives strange greeting...

why isnt this in the superman thread? :(

why isnt this in the superman thread? :(

This was posted before that thread appeared (I'm assuming you mean the official Superman thread).

may be able to get a scan in soon.

queen1.jpg

queen2.jpg

queen3.jpg

queen4.jpg

Uh... who's the Insect Queen and why should I care about her again? :confused:

Uh... who's the Insect Queen and why should I care about her again? :confused:

In Silver Age Continuity Lana Lang had a ring that would allow her to turn into giant insects with a human head. She tried to join the Legion but was turned down because her powers came from a ring. At the end of the issue she managed to save anyone so she was given honorary membership.

Why should we care? Thats' a trick question because we shouldn't.

In Silver Age Continuity Lana Lang had a ring that would allow her to turn into giant insects with a human head. She tried to join the Legion but was turned down because her powers came from a ring. At the end of the issue she managed to save anyone so she was given honorary membership.

Why should we care? Thats' a trick question because we shouldn't.
Dear Lord, that sounds awful. Why are they even bothering to continue using Lana, really? She's uber-lame.

So that people can make some "my, what convenient mist you have there, Insect Queen" jokes.

This deal is supposed to be a three issue arc. There's a preview of the final cover (b/w) over at Newsarama. Just a pen drawing right now. Looks pretty...ecchy for Supes.

Apparently whenever the conclusion of this happens he'll have to relocate and take Lois and the kid with him. Busiek's keeping mum on the details, natch.

And yeah, Corp, the Queen is lame...in fact there are pics everywhere from the Silver Age of Lana...ugliest stuff you'd ever want to see. One of the worst was Lana's head on a giant bee body. I laughed myself sick over that one. They're saying this one is an updated take, whatever that means.

I'm dropping this book. I havent read it since OYL, why do i buy this every week? ohh that last issue before this was a good fill in though.

Here we have the glory that is Insect Queen:
160px-LanaIQ.jpg

mothmaid.jpg

Dear Lord, that sounds awful. Why are they even bothering to continue using Lana, really? She's uber-lame.

I kind of like Lana, but she's often used horribly. Like making her Insect Queen. Again.

Actually, it looks like the Insect Queen just pulled a Phoenix on her and copied her body this time. With extra arms, just for kicks, I guess.

I always thought the Earth-Two version was a better idea and a better look:

Insect_Queen_-_Earth_2.JPG

Instead of becoming an insect, the Earth-Two version controlled them.

Lana herself is ok. She's just basically Betty or Mary-Ann.

Kind of sad for a character's entire definition to be "the girl that the protagonist doesn't go for," though. :o

I always thought the Earth-Two version was a better idea and a better look:

Insect_Queen_-_Earth_2.JPG

Instead of becoming an insect, the Earth-Two version controlled them.

Lana herself is ok. She's just basically Betty or Mary-Ann.

That earth two design isn't bad. Although under Chuck Austen's run, Lana was more like Veronica. Aggressive, and definitely telling Clark what she wanted. Her 'retcon' from whiny, simpering wannabe changed through various writers. A particular wild sequence was when she nursed Clark back to health in Action Comics during the Gog run...let's just say she stole a lil' affection while Clark was unconscious and healing. She also basically still insisted Lois isn't the woman for him.

Yes, but Chuck Austen's run is less canonical than an Elseworlds tale to any fan of the character, so let's just forget all about that.

That's actually who I thought the thread was about when I saw "Insect Queen." I was all, "Oh, Red Bee's changing her name?"

There's a recent issue out with Red Bee on the cover, its pretty cool.

BTW, that flashback scene with Lana and Clark must've been some kiss. Dude's glasses look like they were broken or something, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"