The Ring 3D

roach

I am the night
Reaction score
From the Hollywood Reporter

Combining two of Hollywood's consuming passions -- sequels and 3D -- Paramount is moving ahead with a new installment of the horror thriller franchise "The Ring."

The third entry based on the Japanese horror movies is being called "Ring 3D." David Loucka, who wrote the now-shooting thriller "Dream House" for Morgan Creek, has been tapped to pen the script.

Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald are in negotiations to return as producers, and Vertigo and Benderspink are executive producing.

The original movie, an English-language remake of a 1998 Japanese film, was a critical and commercial hit when it was released in 2002, and it helped usher in a period in which Hollywood turned to Asia for horror inspiration. The movies made during that wave tended to be less gory and thus carried PG-13 ratings, and they tried to attract a more female-centric audience.

The first film also opened doors for its director, Gore Verbinski, who went on to direct Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies, and gave a bigger American platform to its Australian star, Naomi Watts. A sequel was made in 2005.

"Ring" is one of the titles left behind during the Paramount-DreamWorks split and was thought to have been inactive.

The plot of the original film centered on a young journalist investigating a mysterious videotape that seemed to cause the death of anyone within a week of viewing it.

The new film is being fashioned as more teen-centric than the first, and though the logline is being kept under wraps, the aim is to reinvent the franchise. One potential scenario involves teens finding a VHS player that still works.

No director is on board.

Loucka is on a bit of a hot streak, with "Ring" the third high-profile project in which he's involved. In addition to "Dream House," which stars Watts and Daniel Craig, the Original Artists-repped scribe penned the most recent draft of "House at the End of the Street," a horror thriller from FilmNation scheduled to go before cameras this summer.

Ok I was kind of on board if they were going to re-release the 2002 version. But the Ring Sequel was complete sh**. There is no way I am falling for that again.

Plus Verbinski is really the reason that movie was truly great. So I guess if he hops on board. I might... might do this.

Is there a Ringu sequel they can remake? Because the American sequel was kind of crap overall, and I believe it was an original production and not a remake of the actual Ringu sequel.

I would love for them to start from scratch and adapt the actual book trilogy, but I guess it'd be more of a techno-thriller than an actual horror film, and that's probably not what they're looking for.

Though you have to love this:

One potential scenario involves teens finding a VHS player that still works.

My God, what ancient technology.

Actually yes. There is Ringu 2, & Then Ringu 0: Birthday (A Prequel)

There's a dvd that if you watch it 7 days later you die.....Twilight:Full Moon

Actually yes. There is Ringu 2, & Then Ringu 0: Birthday (A Prequel)

They should just try and remake one of those, then. I mean, I'm tired of the remakes like everyone else I'm sure, but if Ring Two is the best they can come up with on their own, yeah, they should just go that route :o

Will Naomi Watts be in it?

Since it seems like they're basically doing a reboot, I'd say she probably won't be. Unless it's a cameo to establish all the movies happen in the same world

From the Hollywood Reporter

Combining two of Hollywood's consuming passions -- sequels and 3D -- Paramount is moving ahead with a new installment of the horror thriller franchise "The Ring."

The third entry based on the Japanese horror movies is being called "Ring 3D." David Loucka, who wrote the now-shooting thriller "Dream House" for Morgan Creek, has been tapped to pen the script.

Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald are in negotiations to return as producers, and Vertigo and Benderspink are executive producing.

The original movie, an English-language remake of a 1998 Japanese film, was a critical and commercial hit when it was released in 2002, and it helped usher in a period in which Hollywood turned to Asia for horror inspiration. The movies made during that wave tended to be less gory and thus carried PG-13 ratings, and they tried to attract a more female-centric audience.

The first film also opened doors for its director, Gore Verbinski, who went on to direct Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies, and gave a bigger American platform to its Australian star, Naomi Watts. A sequel was made in 2005.

"Ring" is one of the titles left behind during the Paramount-DreamWorks split and was thought to have been inactive.

The plot of the original film centered on a young journalist investigating a mysterious videotape that seemed to cause the death of anyone within a week of viewing it.

The new film is being fashioned as more teen-centric than the first, and though the logline is being kept under wraps, the aim is to reinvent the franchise. One potential scenario involves teens finding a VHS player that still works.

No director is on board.

Loucka is on a bit of a hot streak, with "Ring" the third high-profile project in which he's involved. In addition to "Dream House," which stars Watts and Daniel Craig, the Original Artists-repped scribe penned the most recent draft of "House at the End of the Street," a horror thriller from FilmNation scheduled to go before cameras this summer.

ANOTHER ONE?! I though the ending to The Ring 2 finished off Samara once and for all!

[YT]eHG-NkaRh24[/YT]

And now freaking TEENAGERS are involved!? Goddamnit... :facepalm:

Uhhh...you know if you don't wanna see it, just don't see it. Simple as that.

You just know this film is going to try to attempt the coming out of the TV in 3-D. Though I'm not really wild about the premise.

And now freaking TEENAGERS are involved!? Goddamnit... :facepalm:

Actually, the short film that bridges the gap between The Ring and The Ring Two, Rings, which involved teenagers, was fantastic, IMO. I thought it did a great job creating the atmosphere, and really doing something interesting with the concept, as people created clubs and circulated the tape among themselves to see how close they could get to the seventh day, and what they would experience. No one's trying to solve the mystery of the tape, like in the first one, and the hook is that one person watches the tape, sees how far they can get to the seventh day, then another person in the circle is supposed to watch the tape to save that first person, and the cycle kept going as they brought more people. So it was pretty interesting to see the story revolving around someone joining one of these clubs, and in actuality, they're setting him up so they can see for themselves what happens to someone after seven days.

Actually, the short film that bridges the gap between The Ring and The Ring Two, Rings, which involved teenagers, was fantastic, IMO. I thought it did a great job creating the atmosphere, and really doing something interesting with the concept, as people created clubs and circulated the tape among themselves to see how close they could get to the seventh day, and what they would experience. No one's trying to solve the mystery of the tape, like in the first one, and the hook is that one person watches the tape, sees how far they can get to the seventh day, then another person in the circle is supposed to watch the tape to save that first person, and the cycle kept going as they brought more people. So it was pretty interesting to see the story revolving around someone joining one of these clubs, and in actuality, they're setting him up so they can see for themselves what happens to someone after seven days.

I have nothing against teenagers in horror films (Ex. Cloverfield), but I'm afraid it's gonna be like the usual dumbass, sex loving, steriotypical teenagers that are unlikable and only exist to be killed off! And apparantly, Naomi Watts' character's not involved in this. That's why I think this will suck. But, who knows? I might end up being wrong. Either way, probably won't see this unless a good director signs up...:csad:

I won't see this unless Naomi Watts is in it. She was the main reason I enjoyed The Ring Two. The script was terrible, but her performance drew me in.

But now that it's a remake/reboot, I doubt that'll happen. They'll probably mention her character, but that's pretty much it.

The Ring Two had potential, and some agreeably weird ideas...but it lessened the threat of Samara, until she became just a crazy Jack in the box rather than a truly frightening spectre of evil. And the two leads, Watts and Dorfman, were clearly only there thru contractual consent. Watts said this herself.

The Ring 3D....clearly, the only point in this is to make is look like Samara is actually climbing out of the screen into the audience.

The Ring Two had potential, and some agreeably weird ideas...but it lessened the threat of Samara, until she became just a crazy Jack in the box rather than a truly frightening spectre of evil. And the two leads, Watts and Dorfman, were clearly only there thru contractual consent. Watts said this herself.

The Ring 3D....clearly, the only point in this is to make is look like Samara is actually climbing out of the screen into the audience.

I would litterally **** my pants and run home

If Ring Two was more like the short film RINGS, then I think the second film would have been better and have got the director of RINGS to direct the second.

You said the same thing about How to Tame Your Dragon.

did I???
But this is Tamara...she has haunted my dreams....I used to fall asleep with the tv on before the Ring....she pops out at me at a movie and thats a wrap

did I???
But this is Tamara...she has haunted my dreams....I used to fall asleep with the tv on before the Ring....she pops out at me at a movie and thats a wrap
I think you mean Samara.

at first I thought this was gonna be a bad idea but the more I think about it the more this thing is a liscense to print money....if it is as scarey as the first one

I remember when Elijah Wood was supposed to be in this

at first I thought this was gonna be a bad idea but the more I think about it the more this thing is a liscense to print money....if it is as scarey as the first one
That's even if people think her scary anymore. The Ring came out in 2002 and its sequel in 2005. It was only 5 years ago. but again those movies came out at the popularity of the J-Won horror film remakes. Stuff has changed in the last 5 years. I mean the third grudge film went straight to dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"