Comics The Spider-Man Forums and YOU!

Matt Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

I've been a dedicated Hype! poster for a while, now, and I've held my tongue on a variety of subjects I've grown to feel are important. Lately, though, to be honest, I've noticed that some topics, forums, or threads just lack the common courtesy we should expect, and, frankly, demand, from our fellow posters.

We are a community here. The entire point of these forums and boards is to lead to discussion, thought, and the interaction with fans. I'm not sure I understand what's going on with all of the negativity. It's not just in the here in the Spider-Man comics forums, but with the Brand New Day and One More Day disagreements, I've noticed it here most predominantly.

I know I'm a jerk. I know, I'm an insensitive, pig-headed, condescending **** who is often overly blunt, analytical, and uptight. I realize that. I'm certainly going to be doing things differently from now on. So, don't bother citing my hypocrisy as a reason not to be nice.

As for the forums themselves, I'm surprised at how much conflict and seriousness everybody seems to bring to each of their respective threads. I mean, c'mon. It's the intar-webz. We're posting on a message board. The experience ought to be fun for everyone who comes on. Sure, we can expect the occasional jab once in a while, but expecting a fight every time someone logs on just sucks. Trust me. I know. I've pissed enough people off.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that there's really no need for any animosity in these parts of the boards. We're all here to work together and have fun, so there's no need to be a pain in anyone's neck.

Instead of coming online and looking for an argument, read someone's post, understand their point of view, and just let them be. Nobody is going to be swayed by a blunt and argumentative statement like "you're wrong, and here's why!" Instead, ask questions, become informed, and move on.

I think it would be helpful for everyone who posts here, regardless of what they're discussing, could do with some sound, simple advice.
  • Understand that this is the internet - As impassioned as you might be about a topic, know this much: your opinion probably isn't going to matter to the next guy who posts. He may value what you have to say, or agree with your point of view, but come tomorrow, he's not going to remember what you posted about "Norman Osborn is alive! omgomgomg:cmad:
  • Don't make assumptions about someone's character based on their behavior here - There are people who post on these boards who are labeled as morons, idiots, or fools simply because they have opinions that differ from the majority. To think this way is arrogant, pig-headed, and wrong. We all know the old saying about opinions, so if someone's is different than your own, just let it go.
  • Don't make a factual argument a personal one - Just because someone thinks that a reinvention of the Spider-Man mythos is a good thing and you don't, doesn't give you the right to call them a ***, *****ebag, or dumbass. This sort of behavior can only result in an argument and, probably, a probation or two from one of the mods.
  • Enjoy yourself! - Have fun, dammit! :cmad:
A little civility can go a long way. :up:

Hey, everyone.

I've been a dedicated Hype! poster for a while, now, and I've held my tongue on a variety of subjects I've grown to feel are important. Lately, though, to be honest, I've noticed that some topics, forums, or threads just lack the common courtesy we should expect, and, frankly, demand, from our fellow posters.

We are a community here. The entire point of these forums and boards is to lead to discussion, thought, and the interaction with fans. I'm not sure I understand what's going on with all of the negativity. It's not just in the here in the Spider-Man comics forums, but with the Brand New Day and One More Day disagreements, I've noticed it here most predominantly.

I know I'm a jerk. I know, I'm an insensitive, pig-headed, condescending **** who is often overly blunt, analytical, and uptight. I realize that. I'm certainly going to be doing things differently from now on. So, don't bother citing my hypocrisy as a reason not to be nice.

As for the forums themselves, I'm surprised at how much conflict and seriousness everybody seems to bring to each of their respective threads. I mean, c'mon. It's the intar-webz. We're posting on a message board. The experience ought to be fun for everyone who comes on. Sure, we can expect the occasional jab once in a while, but expecting a fight every time someone logs on just sucks. Trust me. I know. I've pissed enough people off.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that there's really no need for any animosity in these parts of the boards. We're all here to work together and have fun, so there's no need to be a pain in anyone's neck.

Instead of coming online and looking for an argument, read someone's post, understand their point of view, and just let them be. Nobody is going to be swayed by a blunt and argumentative statement like "you're wrong, and here's why!" Instead, ask questions, become informed, and move on.

I think it would be helpful for everyone who posts here, regardless of what they're discussing, could do with some sound, simple advice.

• Understand that this is the internet - As impassioned as you might be about a topic, know this much: your opinion probably isn't going to matter to the next guy who posts. He may value what you have to say, or agree with your point of view, but come tomorrow, he's not going to remember what you posted about "Norman Osborn is alive! omgomgomg:cmad:
  • Don't make assumptions about someone's character based on their behavior here - There are people who post on these boards who are labeled as morons, idiots, or fools simply because they have opinions that differ from the majority. To think this way is arrogant, pig-headed, and wrong. We all know the old saying about opinions, so if someone's is different than your own, just let it go.
  • Don't make a factual argument a personal one - Just because someone thinks that a reinvention of the Spider-Man mythos is a good thing and you don't, doesn't give you the right to call them a ***, *****ebag, or dumbass. This sort of behavior can only result in an argument and, probably, a probation or two from one of the mods.
  • Enjoy yourself! - Have fun, dammit! :cmad:
A little civility can go a long way. :up:
Very well said! :up:

You're a jerk Murdock. A complete a$$hole.

;)

(I really hope someone gets this obscure quote)

Good post, but to be honest I consider the Hype to be one of the "nice" forums. I've seen places that are a lot less friendly. If you think this is bad, you should drop by the forums at CBR or Marvel. They'll make you appreciate the relatively relaxed atmosphere around here that much more.

I do appreciate the atmosphere, I just don't see the need to turn everything into an argument.

I do appreciate the atmosphere, I just don't see the need to turn everything into an argument.

Aloha,
First I want to thank you for doing something that I had intended to do myself just the other night.
I've been on this forum since it was Spider-Man Hype and I have seen some disturbing things over the years.
When I use the term Aloha- it is meant as a salutation to all of those who are Spider-Man fans whom I consider to be part of one world wide Fraternity(ladies equally included in that fraternity). Since the days of JMS, I have seen what I called Neo Trollism going on at the Hype.These are people who are Not interested in an open discussion about Spider-Man but who are HATERS disguised as participants in a forum that is dedicated to discussions about Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in censorship regarding people liking or disliking a particular story,writer, artist, etc. Things would be very boring if all we read was How Great every Spidey story was. But these are people who are out to BRING DOWN the joy of Spider-Man as a comic and the love of the character. They are Trolls,imo, plain and simple.Since I don't believe in censorship, I have been thinking of how this ilk can be dealt with. For evil to triumph, good people must do nothing!
To all those who are enjoying Spider-Man and are fans of the character, please make your voices heard. If only one or two lines. Get involved with the Hype. Don't let nay sayers and Neo Trolls, spoil one of the best forums on the internet with their Subversion. If you go back before mid JMS, you will read for yourself, a totally different type of Spider-Man Hype forum.One that was insightful, constructively critical and fun to be a part of.Don't just be a Veiwer,participate. Again, Matt Murdock, I salute you for your stance and willingness to bring up this issue.

Spidey rules

I agree with your long post there.

I too have noticed, on all boards, how split and devisive spider-man is now after this reboot, with the fans.

I might add, that people who are not enjoying it aren't jerks either, don't need to be put down or have special rules thrown at them. They also have a right to their opinion, stated nicely. Neither side needs to act like they're the bigger fan. You're not any better of a fan IF you're buying it anymore than a fan that may not be liking it or buying it. Everyone should treat everyone nicely, regardless.

There has been some feelings that unless you have only positive reviews, your opinions on it don't matter or you shouldn't care anymore. The thing is, both sides do care. Both sides love spidey, whether they love or hate the current direction, and have equal right to their opinions.

To all those who are enjoying Spider-Man and are fans of the character, please make your voices heard. If only one or two lines. Get involved with the Hype. Don't let nay sayers and Neo Trolls, spoil one of the best forums on the internet with their Subversion. If you go back before mid JMS, you will read for yourself, a totally different type of Spider-Man Hype forum.One that was insightful, constructively critical and fun to be a part of. Don't just be a Viewer, participate. Again, Matt Murdock, I salute you for your stance and willingness to bring up this issue.

Spidey rules

!?

I like and respect you DT, but one could easily interpret what you have just written as insulting to those of us who DON'T LIKE what has happened... further drawing lines in the sand. :(

Am I a "nay-sayers" or "Neo-troll" because I think it's my responsibility as a FAN to point out HOW what they have done with OMD and ASM is offensive to me and MANY other fans? Are we not TRUE fans too?

I personally HOPE that future story lines will be influenced if there is enough DISSENT. So I guess that does put us at odds.

The reason I HATE what has happened with Spidey is because I LOVE the character.

But, I'm really not HERE arguing this point anymore because it was getting really redundant with the same one note, disrespectful responses.

farmernudie said:
I agree with your long post there.

I too have noticed, on all boards, how split and devisive spider-man is now after this reboot, with the fans.

I might add, that people who are not enjoying it aren't jerks either, don't need to be put down or have special rules thrown at them. They also have a right to their opinion, stated nicely. Neither side needs to act like they're the bigger fan. You're not any better of a fan IF you're buying it anymore than a fan that may not be liking it or buying it. Everyone should treat everyone nicely, regardless.

There has been some feelings that unless you have only positive reviews, your opinions on it don't matter or you shouldn't care anymore. The thing is, both sides do care. Both sides love spidey, whether they love or hate the current direction, and have equal right to their opinions.
Thanks for adding this. :up:

I admire your tenacity. Keep the faith.

:yay:

I enjoy coming here and I think some of the fans are overly passionate, and there is nothing wrong with that. We just need cool heads and not take things too personally. Hopefully we'll get back to the fun atmosphere that I enjoyed lurking around back in the day :)

Unfortunately both camps are a necessary evil... Marvel needs someone to buy their comics but they also need people to point out their screw ups... (But even better for marvel if they keep pointing them out while buying issues...) now Joey himself has said that he need the passionate fans even if they hate what he's done. (Not sure of his exact words but it was something like that...)

!?

I like and respect you DT, but one could easily interpret what you have just written as insulting to those of us who DON'T LIKE what has happened... further drawing lines in the sand. :(

Am I a "nay-sayers" or "Neo-troll" because I think it's my responsibility as a FAN to point out HOW what they have done with OMD and ASM is offensive to me and MANY other fans? Are we not TRUE fans too?

I personally HOPE that future story lines will be influenced if there is enough DISSENT. So I guess that does put us at odds.

The reason I HATE what has happened with Spidey is because I LOVE the character.

But, I'm really not HERE arguing this point anymore because it was getting really redundant with the same one note, disrespectful responses.

Thanks for adding this. :up:

I admire your tenacity. Keep the faith.

Aloha,
As stated" I don't beleive in censorship and it would be pretty boring if all that was stated here was How great Spidey was." And you'll notice that my concern started with mid JMS times.This is a trend that has been happening Long before OMD or BND.And you've never heard me use the expression " You're not a fan because you don't like a certain aspect of Spidey comics." My concern is for an atmosphere of negativity in this forum that makes people NOT WANT TO PARTICIPATE.Passion for Spidey, be it pro or con particular stories,writers or artists is a very good thing.The Neo Trolls know who they are as do the fans.
Spidey rules

Very good post's everybody, I agree 100 %.

Aloha.
It was people like you that I was thinking of. You stated that you had been veiwing Spider-Man Hype for some time, but you have just now started posting.With a more respectable climate, I think you would have started long ago. This is not a love fest where everyone has to agree or even like the trends of Spidey, but I can remeber a time when most if not all who came on these boards felt welcomed and was respected for thier opinions in an intelligent atmosphere. That's what Matt Murdock as well as myself have been trying to get at.
Spidey rules and WELCOME

Aloha,
As stated" I don't beleive in censorship and it would be pretty boring if all that was stated here was How great Spidey was." And you'll notice that my concern started with mid JMS times.This is a trend that has been happening Long before OMD or BND.And you've never heard me use the expression " You're not a fan because you don't like a certain aspect of Spidey comics." My concern is for an atmosphere of negativity in this forum that makes people NOT WANT TO PARTICIPATE.Passion for Spidey, be it pro or con particular stories,writers or artists is a very good thing.The Neo Trolls know who they are as do the fans.
Spidey rules

Aloha.
It was people like you that I was thinking of. You stated that you had been veiwing Spider-Man Hype for some time, but you have just now started posting.With a more respectable climate, I think you would have started long ago. This is not a love fest where everyone has to agree or even like the trends of Spidey, but I can remeber a time when most if not all who came on these boards felt welcomed and was respected for thier opinions in an intelligent atmosphere. That's what Matt Murdock as well as myself have been trying to get at.
Spidey rules and WELCOME

You went straight from talking about these "Neo Trolls" to addressing Finlandman... I was worried you were insulting him for a second. :wow:

:woot:

Unfortunately both camps are a necessary evil... Marvel needs someone to buy their comics but they also need people to point out their screw ups... (But even better for marvel if they keep pointing them out while buying issues...) now Joey himself has said that he need the passionate fans even if they hate what he's done. (Not sure of his exact words but it was something like that...)

^this is very well said^

Personally I come on here mainly for opposing opinions. I like a little debate and while things can become moderately heated here, I've seen so much worse on other boards (look at almost any MB devoted to politics for a good example of this) and end of the day I think most people here realize this is just a comic board for people bored or just wanting to collaborate opinions so it's not taken too seriously.

A lot of the time someone writes something that gives me a perspective I wouldn't consider on here and while I still might not agree, I like that I now see things in a slightly different and better informed light. There have been some very good positive BND points brought up I hadn't considered and while I'm still just as devoted to the boycott I like that I can glance into what the "other side" thinks.

I have to disagree about the trolls thing, or at least point out that there's "trolls" on both sides of the isle on any issue. The only time I really respect someone's opinion here is when they articulate their argument, don't bully someone, and show they see positives and negatives on any issue, because every and I do mean every, issue has both.

The current SOS developments are polarizing and of course people that are passionate about a character are going to be passionate in this. If people weren't then I'd be much more worried about the future of Peter Parker.

Basically I and alot of people come on for the disagreements, differing opinions and points of view. While it can get stupid, condescending and childish, there's also some real gems of insight in here so I can deal with the bad to get to the good. If everything was "nicer" I'm sure more people would participate and feel welcomed, but I really don't want that. I don't mean I want people to not feel welcomed, but if this became a land of proper manners and respect for everything, it would get boring quick. You've gotta take some knocks from time to time in everything, the internet is no different, and that's a good thing. Having your beliefs challenged, confronting adversity these are the things that make you reevaluate your thought process and that's good.

I come on here and often get @hit for my beliefs from people whose opinions I respect like TMOB, clones and DT and give them some @hit in return, but there's also some good exchanges in there. Beliefs mean nothing and are not truely valid until they've been tested in the fire of opposition.

You went straight from talking about these "Neo Trolls" to addressing Finlandman... I was worried you were insulting him for a second. :wow:

:woot:

Aloha,
No, as you see, I was welcoming him to the forum.As I did when he first arrived. BTW-There are LONG STANDING RULES against Trolling. Not set up by me, but by SHH.IMO-Neo Trolls are Skrulls, who have secretly invaded these forums LONG before OMD or BND.Again, I welcome ALL to go back several years and read the threads on Spider-Man Hype. Look at the difference in the overall attitude towards newbies and differing opinions and compare it to now.You will see an increasing mean spiritedness and intolerance of opposing veiws.A forum is SUPPOSED to have opposing veiws, but SHH was unique in it's respectfullness to those veiws.That is the gist of this thread.
Spidey rules

Aloha.
Spidey rules and WELCOME

I didn't register here for a long for long time not because athmosphere, but I thought it would be nerdish.:woot::oldrazz: But I have met only friendly people here, especially here Spider-Boards.

I come on here and often get @hit for my beliefs from people whose opinions I respect like TMOB, clones and DT and give them some @hit in return, but there's also some good exchanges in there. Beliefs mean nothing and are not truely valid until they've been tested in the fire of opposition.

:O

Ok, I take back some of things I was gonna say......for now....

Hmmmm, usually when someone is nice & polite during a debate, I usually don't get all uptight with them, and I really can't recall anything I might have said to you in a negative way, but if I did insult/shat you for your beliefs/opinions, then I apologize.

Hmmmm, usually when someone is nice & polite during a debate, I usually don't get all uptight with them, and I really can't recall anything I might have said to you in a negative way, but if I did insult/shat you for your beliefs/opinions, then I apologize.

No I said giving ****, that's not the same thing or at least not to me. Insulting is wrong and doesn't give anything to a conversation, but an appropriate level of @hit giving in a debate is a beautiful thing.

It's like this, if you see a friend doing something stupid, you give them @hit about it. You don't insult, not really, just rib and make sure they realized what they did. You fully expect this to be reciprociated when you do something stupid. It doesn't mean you like the person any less or don't respect their opinion, it's just a way of keeping people honest and grounded.

So here you are buying BND. I'm not saying I don't respect your opinion or think it's valid, it's just that you're drunk at the bar hitting on the fat chick wearing spandex.

But some of them are really hot!

after the beers of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"