The Stephen King Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cover for Joyland released

Posted: September 20, 2012, 16:30:21
Section: Book » Joyland

Here is the cover for Joyland.

joyland.jpg

Not only is King going retro with the setting of his upcoming novel, he’s also sticking to a tried-and-true format. “I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts,” he said in the press release. “I also loved the paperbacks I grew up with as a kid, and for that reason, we’re going to hold off on e-publishing this one for the time being. Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book.”

Charles Ardai, editor of Hard Case Crime, promises a layered, genre-crossing story. “Joyland is a breathtaking, beautiful, heartbreaking book,” he said. “It’s a whodunit, it’s a carny novel, it’s a story about growing up and growing old, and about those who don’t get to do either because death comes for them before their time. Even the most hard-boiled readers will find themselves moved. When I finished it, I sent a note saying, ‘Goddamn it, Steve, you made me cry.’ ”

Press release for Doctor Sleep

Posted: September 20, 2012, 11:08:33
Section: Book » Doctor Sleep
Press release for Doctor Sleep from Hodder & Stoughton:

STEPHEN KING to return to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in 2013

Hodder has acquired UK and Commonwealth rights from Chuck Verrill of Darhansoff &Verrill in DOCTOR SLEEP. King says he wanted to know what happened to Danny Torrance, the boy at the heart of The Shining, after his terrible experience in the Overlook Hotel. The instantly riveting, stand-alone novel, Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the ‘steam’ that children with the ‘shining’ produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant ‘shining’ power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes ‘Doctor Sleep.’

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

Hardcover publication of the novel will be September 24, 2013, and readers can hear a taster if they buy the CD or digital download of King's novel, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE, because he reads the Prologue from it.

Happy birthday to Stephen King who turns 65 today. :)

Picked up my first stephen king book today. The Shinning. Its October, and I was looking for a good scary story. Hope I chose wisely.

^

A very wise choice you made! Easily one of my favorites.

Dies Irae (The Shining Theme)

[YT]-QBnadB7vU0[/YT]

Picked up my first stephen king book today. The Shinning. Its October, and I was looking for a good scary story. Hope I chose wisely.

I haven't read the book but I've heard it's good stuff. If you finish that quickly I'd suggest picking up Salem's Lot next as a good scary story.

I haven't read the book but I've heard it's good stuff. If you finish that quickly I'd suggest picking up Salem's Lot next as a good scary story.

That's the one im eyeing next. Then possibly Carrie.

"But don't be readin' ma mind between 4 and 5... That's Willie's time!"
treehouseofhorrorv4.png

I'm sure it's been discussed plenty here, but I just finished "11/22/63" the other day, and was absolutely blown away. The whole book was brilliant, and the last thirty or so pages were absolutely devastating.

I'm sure it's been discussed plenty here, but I just finished "11/22/63" the other day, and was absolutely blown away. The whole book was brilliant, and the last thirty or so pages were absolutely devastating.

:hrt:

I thought it was a great read as well, even though I still don't quite buy into the one shooter theory. It didn't lessen my enjoyment of the book any. :)

It was announced today that the director of Sinister is going to direct an adaptation of The Breathing Method, the last story from different seasons.

Can't say I've read it myself, despite reading the other three stories.

I know I've read it because I've read all of his books, but I can't say as I can remember what the plot was. :p

What did you guys think of the tv miniseries Storm of the Century? I thought it was good.

Never saw it but I read the screenplay and liked it. :)

I read somewhere that Linoge was the Man in Black, since Linoge = Legion.

So AV club ran a 3 part article of the 50 best films of the 90's as voted by their staff.

I asked in the comments of one of the articles why the Shawshank Redemption wasn't on their list or even the list of good films that didn't make the cut.

One of the writers promptly replied that in their opinion, and of much of the staff, the film was not only not worthy of inclusion but in short crap.

I must admit that sort of disqualifies that writer's opinion on any movie from my consideration.

So I just heard that the King himself...a.k.a Mr Stephen King will release a sequel to his novel "The Shinning"....which will be out next year.

The story will focus on the boy who is now grown up, but still dealing with the aftermath events of the first novel.

Just want to share this piece of news.

Anybody excited about this?

My favorite King books are when he wrote as Bachman. The long walk, The running man and Rage. I enjoy several of his other books but those are my favorites of his.

I like The Stand and am re-reading the rereleased version. It's interesting. He's added things about what happened to people who survived in the US who weren't part of the story and I've heard his biggest issue with his book is that he never did anything about the rest of the world.

Almost done with my second reading of Gerald's Game. This is one terrifying book, and in my opinion, King's darkest and most twisted. It's one of the few to never be made into a movie, and with good reason: it's just too much for a film.

For those who have never read it, it's about a happily married couple who take a vacation to a cabin near the woods, and the husband reveals to her that he's actually this sex-crazed deviant/maniac who wants to handcuff her to the bed. She willingly accepts, thinking it will be fun and innocent (and they've been happily married for many years, so what's the harm?)... only he's a total psycho, and she never knew. Before he can have his way with her, he abruptly dies from over-excitement and keels over onto the floor... leaving his wife handcuffed to the bed with no help, stuck in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.

And that's just the first 30 pages. :wow:

Skeleton Crew is awesome. It has The Mist and that story actually scared the crap out of me.

Cover for Joyland released

Posted: September 20, 2012, 16:30:21
Section: Book » Joyland

Here is the cover for Joyland.

joyland.jpg

Not only is King going retro with the setting of his upcoming novel, he’s also sticking to a tried-and-true format. “I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts,” he said in the press release. “I also loved the paperbacks I grew up with as a kid, and for that reason, we’re going to hold off on e-publishing this one for the time being. Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book.”

Charles Ardai, editor of Hard Case Crime, promises a layered, genre-crossing story. “Joyland is a breathtaking, beautiful, heartbreaking book,” he said. “It’s a whodunit, it’s a carny novel, it’s a story about growing up and growing old, and about those who don’t get to do either because death comes for them before their time. Even the most hard-boiled readers will find themselves moved. When I finished it, I sent a note saying, ‘Goddamn it, Steve, you made me cry.’ ”

Press release for Doctor Sleep

Posted: September 20, 2012, 11:08:33
Section: Book » Doctor Sleep
Press release for Doctor Sleep from Hodder & Stoughton:

STEPHEN KING to return to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in 2013

Hodder has acquired UK and Commonwealth rights from Chuck Verrill of Darhansoff &Verrill in DOCTOR SLEEP. King says he wanted to know what happened to Danny Torrance, the boy at the heart of The Shining, after his terrible experience in the Overlook Hotel. The instantly riveting, stand-alone novel, Doctor Sleep picks up the story of the now middle-aged Dan, working at a hospice in rural New Hampshire, and the very special twelve-year old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless - mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the ‘steam’ that children with the ‘shining’ produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him and a job at a nursing home where his remnant ‘shining’ power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes ‘Doctor Sleep.’

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

Hardcover publication of the novel will be September 24, 2013, and readers can hear a taster if they buy the CD or digital download of King's novel, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE, because he reads the Prologue from it.

Love the cover art for King's new book. No doubt the contents within from the master wordsmith will be just as engaging!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"