The Stephen King Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm liking It a lot so far. I saw the movie about five years ago and besides Tim Curry as Pennywise, it isn't really anything memorable. The book is so rich in detail.

Carrie, on the other hand, while a good read, I think I prefer the movie. Even though I knew what was going to happen since I had seen the movie, I didn't like the news articles that sporadically appear throughout the narrative that give away the ending. The movie was very faithful, though.

I think the next logical step after I finish It would be The Shining.

Drizzle, the ending of It is quite the mindblower compared to the tv movie. The book actually made me feel bad for Henry Bowers.

If you want another Derry novel, read Insomnia.

It must've been too long since I've read the book. I don't remember feeling remotely bad for that character.

Drizzle, the ending of It is quite the mindblower compared to the tv movie. The book actually made me feel bad for Henry Bowers.

Yeah, in more ways than one. Someone needs to get King a good editor, imo. I mean, It is tied with The Stand as my favorite King novel, but geez, the stuff he comes up with sometimes...

It must've been too long since I've read the book. I don't remember feeling remotely bad for that character.

It felt like things were stacked against Henry.
I remember a scene where his war vet father was sitting in a rocker with a katana across his lap. He was cursing "those ******s" next door (Mike Hanlon's family), blaming them for his bad crops. Then, because of his father's hatred for the Hanlons, he killed Mike's dog. Basically bad upbringing turned him into a monster.

Not that I'm saying he wasn't a bad guy. Patrick Hockstetter, however, was a complete monster.

Guns; new essay by King

Posted: January 25, 2013, 22:51:34

guns.jpg
Stephen has written an essay discussing his thoughts on the gun control/gun rights issue facing the U.S., available now as a Kindle Single through Amazon.com.

“I think the issue of an America awash in guns is one every citizen has to think about,” said King. “If this helps provoke constructive debate, I’ve done my job. Once I finished writing ‘Guns’ I wanted it published quickly, and Kindle Singles provided an excellent fit.”

From Amazon: In a pulls-no-punches essay intended to provoke rational discussion, Stephen King sets down his thoughts about gun violence in America. Anger and grief in the wake of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School are palpable in this urgent piece of writing, but no less remarkable are King’s keen thoughtfulness and composure as he explores the contours of the gun-control issue and constructs his argument for what can and should be done.

Read more on King's site and Amazon's press release.

I find The Gunslinger and Song of Susannah to be the most rereadable entries in the Dark Tower saga. The Gunslinger brings the constant reader to this strange, yet vaguely familiar, new world while Song of Susannah lays bare a great deal of the setting's lore, followed by The Wind Through the Keyhole.

I rather liked the ending.

Just finished Salem's Lot. Loved it but the ending was eh

Is there a Stephen King book that doesn't leave you with that feeling? Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, and the journey is what counts, but I don't think I've ever been totally satisfied with one of his endings.. I am willing to look past it because he writes characters like few others.

Limited Doctor Sleep announced

Posted: February 4, 2013, 16:16:07
Section: Book » Doctor Sleep

Cemetery Dance just announced a limited edition of Doctor Sleep

Special Features Exclusive to this Collector's Edition:
drsleep_limited.jpg
• deluxe oversized design (7 inches X 10 inches) featuring two-color interior printing

• full color cover artwork by Vincent Chong

• six color paintings by Vincent Chong printed on a high-quality glossy stock and tipped into the book

• twenty black & white full page illustrations and six black & white spot illustrations by Erin S. Wells

• high-quality embossed endpapers and fine bindings for all three editions

• full-color signature sheets in the signed editions

• extremely collectible print run that is a tiny fraction of the print run of the trade hardcover edition from Scribner — and you will NOT find our edition in chain bookstores!

For more info, head over to their site

Now I'm wondering what the normal cover looks like. That artwork is fantastic.

Btw, Stephen King's Joyland is out sometime in June from Hard Case.

Does this guy still do tons of blow? He's still so damn productive, writing must be the way he relaxes, haha.

Is there a Stephen King book that doesn't leave you with that feeling? Don't get me wrong, I am a fan, and the journey is what counts, but I don't think I've ever been totally satisfied with one of his endings.. I am willing to look past it because he writes characters like few others.
Interesting, I typically find his endings to be thematically genius and unexpected.

Just finished Wind Through the Keyhole. So great to be back with the ka-tet.

It was tasty, I blew thought it in a day, lol. I enjoy all of King's books, but I love the Dark Tower series to pieces! :)!

It was tasty, I blew thought it in a day, lol. I enjoy all of King's books, but I love the Dark Tower series to pieces! :)!

I'm saving it as long as possible. I even turned Full Dark, No Stars into bites, reading other things in between each story to drag it out lol

That's what's nice about short stories books like that, you can snack. I for one just re-read The Dome in anticipation of the mini coming out later. For such a large book, I read it awfully fast -- six days. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"