• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

gambit-gambit-has-returned.gif

The name's Gambit... Remember it!
I take that as a yes :funny:

Okay so several pages ago I had expressed an interest in watching some pre-MCU Marvel movies that have been on my radar for awhile now. In that spirit, I finally got around to seeing Howard the Duck for the very first time. LFG!

As is often the case with classic films, I find the production minutiae is typically more interesting than the final product itself. Husband-and-wife filmmakers Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz originally envisioned Howard the Duck as an animated film set entirely on Duckworld; however, producer George Lucas (yes that George Lucas) wanted a live-action feature. Universal, still kicking themselves for passing on both Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark and desperate to get into bed with Lucas (who didn't want to get into bed with Lucas in 1986?), acquiesced.

The end result is one of the strangest viewing experiences I've had in quite some time. While I’m not very familiar (hell, not at all familiar) with Howard the Duck from the comics, my general understanding is that Steve Gerber intended the character to be a commentary on the experience of being an 'other' in contemporary America circa 1973. Well colour me as surprised as anyone else that some of that subversion actually made its way into the finished film. Seriously, this is one of the more cynical, pessimistic movies I've seen in quite some time. I can't recall another film aimed at a family audience populated with this many hateful, cruel, and downright murderous characters. Only Lea Thompson's character "Beverly" manages to rise through the muck and display any semblance of decency. Even the film's secondary hero, Tim Robbins' "Phil", is motivated more by self-interest than altruism. It never ceases to amaze me how much children's entertainment from yesteryear was willing to explore dark themes in an attempt to teach kids about the harshness of life...

Anyway, I'll just focus on the things that I actually liked about the film instead of listing all the movie's flaws, of which sadly there are many. I liked the film's numerous attempts at raunchiness, with multiple references to drug use and icky suggestions of inter-species boot knocking between Howard and Beverly, in a series of misguides efforts to honour the 'edgier' nature of the source material. I liked how the movie announces itself as a Multiverse fable right out of the gate, which affords it a strange timeliness considering recent Multiverse shenanigans in both Marvel and DC films. I liked how Jeffrey Jones' Dark Overlord was genuinely scary (I can imagine the character giving kids nightmares in 1986). I liked how Lea Thompson brings the right combination of sweetness and sass to her character. And I liked how actor Ed Gale manages to capture Howard's soul underneath the cheap looking duck suit, turning him into a character more noble than most of the - you guessed it - 'normal' human monsters who populate this film...

Speaking of said duck suit, much has been written about the film's effects deficiencies. And indeed, Howard's appearance in the film leaves much to be desired, in the sense that VFX had advanced to the point in 1986 where the character should have looked much better. However, I'm willing to give the film some slack because, according to lore, Disney threatened legal action if Howard was portrayed as too visually similar to the studio's Donald Duck, thereby straightjacketing Universal into differentiating the two characters as much as possible. Even back then The Mouse was not to be trifled with...

Anyway, as most folks are probably aware, the film was a notorious bomb for Universal. In an attempt at being edgy enough for adults yet amusing enough for kids, the movie only succeeded at alienating both demographics. Yet, I feel oddly protective of the film, and have found it oddly sticky on the back end. I was joking with a friend of mine here on The Hype about how I might need to see a neurologist, because i tend to forget most movies I've seen recently only minutes after finishing them. Yet here we are, several days later, and Howard the Duck is still fresh on my mind. I thought the music from fake power pop band "Cherry Bomb" was forgettable on my first viewing but it's grown on me; as I type this, the "Howard the Duck" song is rattling around in my head :oldrazz: I'll file this one away as an interesting failure rather than an outright disaster, though I can't see myself returning to it again anytime soon.

I found the Dolph Lundgren version of The Punisher on YouTube so I think I'll give that one a whirl next :yay:

giphy.gif

Talking about Cajun people and Howard the Duck, the one thing about Howard the Duck that I can't forget is that a key scene happens at an establishment called Joe Roma's Cajun Sushi House. Cajun sushi? Dear god, help me.

Its so cool to know that all 6 core Avengers are such good friends in real life to this day. Often times you hear about people who work on movies together who cant stand each other in real life so its nice to know they formed a bond, and it showed onscreen too.
Yes, really disappointing when they don’t get on in real life, which of course can easily happen: I love ensemble casts and it’s so much more fun when they continue the banter and camaraderie off screen.

Okay so several pages ago I had expressed an interest in watching some pre-MCU Marvel movies that have been on my radar for awhile now. In that spirit, I finally got around to seeing Howard the Duck for the very first time. LFG!

As is often the case with classic films, I find the production minutiae is typically more interesting than the final product itself. Husband-and-wife filmmakers Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz originally envisioned Howard the Duck as an animated film set entirely on Duckworld; however, producer George Lucas (yes that George Lucas) wanted a live-action feature. Universal, still kicking themselves for passing on both Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark and desperate to get into bed with Lucas (who didn't want to get into bed with Lucas in 1986?), acquiesced.

The end result is one of the strangest viewing experiences I've had in quite some time. While I’m not very familiar (hell, not at all familiar) with Howard the Duck from the comics, my general understanding is that Steve Gerber intended the character to be a commentary on the experience of being an 'other' in contemporary America circa 1973. Well colour me as surprised as anyone else that some of that subversion actually made its way into the finished film. Seriously, this is one of the more cynical, pessimistic movies I've seen in quite some time. I can't recall another film aimed at a family audience populated with this many hateful, cruel, and downright murderous characters. Only Lea Thompson's character "Beverly" manages to rise through the muck and display any semblance of decency. Even the film's secondary hero, Tim Robbins' "Phil", is motivated more by self-interest than altruism. It never ceases to amaze me how much children's entertainment from yesteryear was willing to explore dark themes in an attempt to teach kids about the harshness of life...

Anyway, I'll just focus on the things that I actually liked about the film instead of listing all the movie's flaws, of which sadly there are many. I liked the film's numerous attempts at raunchiness, with multiple references to drug use and icky suggestions of inter-species boot knocking between Howard and Beverly, in a series of misguides efforts to honour the 'edgier' nature of the source material. I liked how the movie announces itself as a Multiverse fable right out of the gate, which affords it a strange timeliness considering recent Multiverse shenanigans in both Marvel and DC films. I liked how Jeffrey Jones' Dark Overlord was genuinely scary (I can imagine the character giving kids nightmares in 1986). I liked how Lea Thompson brings the right combination of sweetness and sass to her character. And I liked how actor Ed Gale manages to capture Howard's soul underneath the cheap looking duck suit, turning him into a character more noble than most of the - you guessed it - 'normal' human monsters who populate this film...

Speaking of said duck suit, much has been written about the film's effects deficiencies. And indeed, Howard's appearance in the film leaves much to be desired, in the sense that VFX had advanced to the point in 1986 where the character should have looked much better. However, I'm willing to give the film some slack because, according to lore, Disney threatened legal action if Howard was portrayed as too visually similar to the studio's Donald Duck, thereby straightjacketing Universal into differentiating the two characters as much as possible. Even back then The Mouse was not to be trifled with...

Anyway, as most folks are probably aware, the film was a notorious bomb for Universal. In an attempt at being edgy enough for adults yet amusing enough for kids, the movie only succeeded at alienating both demographics. Yet, I feel oddly protective of the film, and have found it oddly sticky on the back end. I was joking with a friend of mine here on The Hype about how I might need to see a neurologist, because i tend to forget most movies I've seen recently only minutes after finishing them. Yet here we are, several days later, and Howard the Duck is still fresh on my mind. I thought the music from fake power pop band "Cherry Bomb" was forgettable on my first viewing but it's grown on me; as I type this, the "Howard the Duck" song is rattling around in my head :oldrazz: I'll file this one away as an interesting failure rather than an outright disaster, though I can't see myself returning to it again anytime soon.

I found the Dolph Lundgren version of The Punisher on YouTube so I think I'll give that one a whirl next :yay:

View attachment 91458
I saw Howard the Duck on cable in 1987 when I was a 12 year old. As a you adolescent with raging hormones, and all of the thoughts that go along with said hormones, I found the innuendos toward the inter-species physical relationship and the gratuitous Duck nudity to be quite unsettling.

I saw Howard the Duck on cable in 1987 when I was a 12 year old. As a you adolescent with raging hormones, and all of the thoughts that go along with said hormones, I found the innuendos toward the inter-species physical relationship and the gratuitous Duck nudity to be quite unsettling.
This explains a lot about you. :funny: Spaceballs also played a role on that front for me lol.

My viewing content nowadays is a lot tamer than the material I watched before my teens. :beaming:

Talking about Cajun people and Howard the Duck, the one thing about Howard the Duck that I can't forget is that a key scene happens at an establishment called Joe Roma's Cajun Sushi House. Cajun sushi? Dear god, help me.
Cajun sushi might not be terrible... little craw fish tempura or a roll with jambalaya rice and andouille or something... I could see someone making that on chopped or one of those shows
There's a place near where I live called Wang Wang Super Taco that does chinese AND tex-mex, so I've seen weirder lol

Can't you all see what this means? It's gonna be the Logan of the Venom movies. It'll be Venom protecting kid Peter the whole movie and everyone will cry when he gets impaled on a log at the end. And then Peter will bury him and leave one of his glowstick necklaces on a stick as a grave marker.

mic-drop-venom.gif

Cajun sushi might not be terrible... little craw fish tempura or a roll with jambalaya rice and andouille or something... I could see someone making that on chopped or one of those shows
There's a place near where I live called Wang Wang Super Taco that does chinese AND tex-mex, so I've seen weirder lol

Don't get me wrong, I'd try it. Once. Have you tried Wang Wang Super Taco? That's bound to be either surprisingly good or a long night at the toilet.

Can't you all see what this means? It's gonna be the Logan of the Venom movies. It'll be Venom protecting kid Peter the whole movie and everyone will cry when he gets impaled on a log at the end. And then Peter will bury him and leave one of his glowstick necklaces on a stick as a grave marker.

mic-drop-venom.gif

Sounds like a tragic masterpiece - you're a genius @Drizzle, this treatment would have it all. :waa:

Which modern pop star should sing this song?

P!nk and Kelly Clarkson seem to be the go to for this kind of thing. But I would prefer a woman of color and Beyoncé is too on the nose. 🤭

Tori Kelly?

mic-drop-venom.gif

1716587659993.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"