Superman Returns The Superman Returns Score Is Great

Cain

Gentlebane
Reaction score
Seriously my opinions on the film itself are mixed but the film score was very well done. I wasn't even a fan of Ottman but he won me over here. Sure it's not John Williams but the original pieces are really very good.

Anybody else think this was one of the film's highlights?

yes I loved how J.Ottman handled it. Honestly I didn't even notice his previous scores (and I didn't even remember there was a xmen score!), but I think he did a terrific job on SR. Keeping the JWilliams theme was the best idea, now I think I prefer J.Ottman vision of the music. More dramatic, more sad, more heroic, I think he accentuated everything williams wrote and I think that was excellent! I noticed that in the few first seconds of the movie ! :)
I have the impression he didn't write for a superhero but for a god. :up:

Agreed, i absolutely LOVE the score in the movie, i love the Williams theme's, but Ottman's original theme's like when Superman is re-charging in the sun or when we first see New Krypton rising are just stunning pieces of music.

LOVED Ottman's X2 score as well.

yes I loved how J.Ottman handled it. Honestly I didn't even notice his previous scores (and I didn't even remember there was a xmen score!), but I think he did a terrific job on SR. Keeping the JWilliams theme was the best idea, now I think I prefer J.Ottman vision of the music. More dramatic, more sad, more heroic, I think he accentuated everything williams wrote and I think that was excellent! I noticed that in the few first seconds of the movie ! :)

Agreed, i absolutely LOVE the score in the movie, i love the Williams theme's, but Ottman's original theme's like when Superman is re-charging in the sun or when we first see New Krypton rising are just stunning pieces of music.

AGREED!! To me, SR has the best score for a superhero movie so far. With STM a close second. :super:

While I disagree when it came to the Williams' portions of the score since I think Williams' take on those pieces are more symphonic and well structured the rest of your post is very on point.

The bold was so great when he was going up it was like the perfect theme of "self sacrifice" beautifully told through the music. A great compliment to the visuals. I also really like Luthor's theme.

I loved Ottman's score for X2 and this score was good as well.
The only thing I didn't like was how the bad guy theme sounded like Danny Elfman's Hulk theme.

AGREED!! To me, SR has the best score for a superhero movie so far. With STM a close second. :super:

Dont know about best, because there are so many i love, X2, the Spiderman Trilogy, Hulk (2003), and more recently i thought the Transformers score was superb. But yeah, the SR one is definately up there, some bits literally make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

The bold was so great when he was going up it was like the perfect theme of "self sacrifice" beautifully told through the music. A great compliment to the visuals. I also really like Luthor's theme.

Agreed, everything about that scene was perfect, the music included, it just added so much to what already was an awesome scene anyway (one of the best scene's in a CB movie IMO). I also loved the parts when Lois and Superman fly past Lois's house, and when Superman is lifting New Krypton, just before the Williams theme's kicks in. I also loved all of the non-Williams bits of the plane rescue also.

EDIT: Also, cant believe i forgot the music when Superman is falling back to Earth from space, an absolutely perfect companion piece to the scene.

Yeah. The score was really good. Not John Williams but GOOD.

JW is hard to top to be fair though, and IMO Ottman's original pieces were superb, really added to the movie in some scene's.

Yeah, i have no complaints with the score or the art department, except for the costume.

^Cool, i cant understand anyone who says the score was rubbish in SR, its one of the best score's in a blockbuster for some time IMO, and i dont just mean the Williams theme, but, to each their own.

We may disagree on a lot of things about SR but the score isn't one of them.

Me too...I actually think that the Lois & Clark score is one of the best for Superman EVER.

SR's score was amazing. My favorite cue is still during the plane rescue when Supes flies through the breakaway wing and the chorus kicks in. It gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.

i find it hard to listen to when i have access to the STM score, which, IMO, was much better...

We may disagree on a lot of things about SR but the score isn't one of them.

Cool, its possible this is the first time we have agreed on something SR :wow: :woot:.

SR's score was amazing. My favorite cue is still during the plane rescue when Supes flies through the breakaway wing and the chorus kicks in. It gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.

Absolutely agreed, the moment i first heard it, I LOVED that bit, and it does give me goosebumps every time, brilliant little piece, the whole score for the plane rescue is great, but that part is just astonishing.

Agreed. I also LOVE the new love theme, you know Superman flying with Lois, the music playing during the sea boat scene when Superman says 'good bye, Lois', and then the Recharge music.....is so powerful and inspiring!! Goosebumps every time! Yup, like Clarky says, Ottman wrote music for a god.

i find it hard to listen to when i have access to the STM score, which, IMO, was much better...

Oh, yeah, that Otis theme was cool! :woot:

But seriously, I also love the STM score, but really prefer the SR one.

This is probably my favorite score of any movie so far. John Williams did great with his, but I think Ottmans surpases that. I still listen to it this day and it has yet to be boring or old to me.

I agree that the 'recharge' part when he flies up to get power from the sun was really inspiring.

I also love the music from when they bring Superman into the hospital, very eerie.

This is probably my favorite score of any movie so far. John Williams did great with his, but I think Ottmans surpases that. I still listen to it this day and it has yet to be boring or old to me.

I agree that the 'recharge' part when he flies up to get power from the sun was really inspiring.

I also love the music from when they bring Superman into the hospital, very eerie.

Gotta totally agree with this, Ottman surpassed Williams with his score for SR IMO, and the parts you mentioned, along with the music when he is first lifting New Krypton and then his unconscious descent back to Earth, they are just stunning pieces of music, and they do give me goosebumps everytime.

I've been listening to this a lot again lately, I honestly forgot how good it was. Absolutely flawless score IMO, might even be my favourite Superman score actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"