World The Superman: TAS discussion thread.

Superman TAS
Episode: The Last Son of Krypton Pt 1

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/91673740514/the-last-son-of-krypton-part-i-superman-the

izrGHU4.gif
z7Dg3x3.gif

Ty0pOOa.gif
QixW6L0.gif

CIlGR96.gif
eWrRUtt.gif

fuSVyZW.gif
JmFSemr.gif

roOAjHZ.gif
fD3vZVj.gif

Trivia

• Krypto appears in part one of this episode as a puppy.
  • Jor-El calls the creature that attacked him in the ice cave a "shoggoth". Shoggoths were originally created by H. P. Lovecraft for his Cthulhu Mythos, though he described them quite differently from the creature seen in this episode.
  • This is the first mention of Kaznia in the DC Animated Universe.
  • Part I of this episode is one of the only two episodes in the series where Superman is absent (as he only appears as Kal-El in that episode). The other is "New Kids in Town".
  • Martha Kent's comment that Clark should avoid being compared to Batman suggests that, in the DCAU's continuity, Batman began his crimefighting career before Superman made his first appearance in Metropolis.
  • As a note to the above, among the passengers of the airliner are Bruce Wayne's secretary, Dana Blessing from "The Worry Men" and Ethan Clark from "Prophecy of Doom". A man with a vaguely similar appearance to Arnold Rundle is also seen.
  • The energy pistols used by Krypton's security forces are identical in appearance to those used by the inhabitants of Gorilla City in the Justice League episode "The Brave and the Bold" and the Justice League Unlimited episode "Dead Reckoning".
  • Jonathan Kent speculates that Kal-El's ship might be a Sputnik, the first man-made object to orbit the Earth.
  • When Jonathan shows Clark's spaceship to him for the first time, he remarks that "some babies are found in baskets", referring to the Biblical legend of Moses, which Superman's origin is partially based on.
  • Lois dated Luthor, and subsequently dumped him.
  • Lois says "nice S" after seeing Superman's suit. This part was removed from the Toon Disney version, likely because it was a pun on "nice ass", which would be inappropriate for a younger audience. Lobo made a similar pun in "The Main Man, Part II".
  • The exchange (or lack thereof) between Superman and Lex Luthor is mirrored by Iron Man and Obadiah Stane at the beginning of part 2 of the Iron Man: Armored Adventures series premiere, as both of the bald, successful businessmen are talking in their office about weapons and armor when someone points out the hero floating outside the window. An offer is given to the hero only to be met with continual "arm-crossed" floating. After becoming frustrated at the hero for not responding, the businessmen are both told "I'll be watching you".

Such a great pilot. IMO the best Superman origin story showcased in media.

The Luthor & Superman moment at the end of Last Son Of Krypton pt 3 is very reminiscent of The pilot of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman episode "Strange Visitor"

Superman: The Animated Series does it so much better with Kal-El giving Luthor the silent treatment long enough and delivers the best line "I'll be watching you Luthor!"

Last edited:

Love this scene, Dana nailed it. It's got spice and her delivery of coming up with the name Superman works so well that it's kinda re-used in "Smallville" Season 10 "Shield" by Erica Durance.

Speaking of which the now famous nickname Lois's playful calls Clark "Smallville" originated in Superman: The Animated Series then was incorporated in the mainstream comics, before it would be again used in the tv series "Smallville" by Erica Durance from her debut in the series in Season 4 all the way to the series finale in Season 10.

Superman TAS
Episode: A Little Piece of Home

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/92244281189/a-little-piece-of-home-superman-the-animated

sMqaZrd.gif
LC61B9G.gif

YwmoXyI.gif
dXUVbt9.gif

b7B2213.gif
jU4j6Yk.gif

nE5ryd6.gif
S1VCLE5.gif

3DiZML7.gif
aSZTu5V.gif

Trivia

• The producers considered having Superman give the giant dinosaur to Batman, as a nod to the giant dinosaur that stands in the Batcave. They ultimately decided not to.
  • On Superman: The Animated Series, Volume One (DVD), this episode comes with pop-up notes with factoids about the series. It incorrectly refers to Lisa Edelstein as "Linda Edelstein", and mentions Teen Titans as part of the DCAU.
  • Commissioner Jones tells Joey that, upon hearing the fire alarm, all the exists, entrances, stairs and elevators were shut down. This would trap all people inside the building (or on its roof); not a wise thing to do when there's a fire.
  • When Mercy is at the third checkpoint observing Superman pursue Joey the sign for the LexCorp Waterfront Towers says "LexCord" instead of LexCorp.

Man... I've been missing out on some great gif action.

This was undoubtedly my favourite version of Superman growing up and frankly still is.

Last edited:
Superman TAS
Episode: Stolen Memories

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/92405656249/stolen-memories-superman-the-animated-series

j4vMP0C.gif
anbsVSN.gif

pMa0FPo.gif
riNmxzW.gif

9KleYeI.gif
hITCmsT.gif

hGbRJyk.gif
L2dGKtK.gif

NGR92My.gif
4bsc6FK.gif

Trivia

• Brainiac is one of the most common recurring villains in the DC Animated Universe, having been in episodes of Superman: The Animated Series, Static Shock, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons.
  • This is the last speaking appearance of young Jor-El.
  • The debut of the Fortress of Solitude in the DC Animated Universe.
  • Despite the lack of any distinguishing features between the data orbs, Superman somehow managed to grab Krypton's when he escaped Brainiac's exploding ship.
  • The truck in the beginning of the episode is patterned after the Batmobile from Batman: The Animated Series. It can also be seen in the episodes "Solar Power" and "Monkey Fun".
  • This episode pays homage to the 1940s Max Fleischer Superman short "The Mad Scientist" when Superman punches Brainiac's beams in a very similar way to when he punched the Mad Scientist's beams.
  • Luthor states to the government about the possibilities that Brainiac could offer, one of them being a cure for cancer. This turns out to be true when it is revealed that Brainiac was the one who cured Luthor's cancer in the Justice League Unlimited episode "Divided We Fall".
  • While attempting to pull Superman to his side in the Justice League episode "Twilight", Brainiac repeats the statement "I AM Krypton".

Superman TAS
Episode: The Main Man, Part I

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/92475258199/the-main-man-part-i-superman-the-animated-series

JHbaZpx.gif
cvNefp7.gif

LABWlaN.gif
CjDAijK.gif

S89bWeQ.gif
fcMGpvr.gif

q5sLKBO.gif
7q96ItM.gif

fG1mMjd.gif
1FUia0G.gif

Trivia

• One of the ships in the Preserver's docking bay bears a resemblance to the Batwing.
  • The poster of "KIZZ" is a reference to the 70's hard rock band KISS.
  • When 'The Main Man' aired on Toon Disney, most of Lobo's pseudo-obscenities were edited out.
  • The episode title featured in Part I displays an Arabic numeral (1), whereas in Part II it features the conventional Roman numeral (II).
  • When Lois steps out of the cab, she exits the driver's door.
  • In Part I, Hamilton claims that they've never tested Superman's ship in deep space before, but Superman had previously gone to the Alpha Centauri system.
    • This statement is, however, accurate when viewing the show in production order. Superman went to the Alpha Centauri system in "Stolen Memories", which was produced after "The Main Man, Part I". On the other hand, Part II was produced after "Stolen Memories" and "My Girl", which breaks continuity, seeing as Part II picks up right after where Part I left off. So, the events of "Stolen Memories" must either take place before Part I or after Part II. However, if this two-parter takes place after "Stolen Memories", then Hamilton's statement remains untrue; but if it occurs before "Stolen Memories", then Superman's comment about his newly found fortress, in the end of that episode, is out of place, because he would already have stored the Preserver's abducted specimens in it by then. Either way, there's an incongruity.
  • When Superman and Lobo crash through the floor in Luthor's office, there is already some debris lying on the floor before they make their appearance.
  • This is the last episode to have parts of it featured in the opening credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"