Sequels Why Did Superman Leave?

Superfreak

Gramaton Cleric
Reaction score
Ok, I ask this question, because after rewatching SR, it is clear that the question is never truly answered.

It is implied that he went merely to see if there was anything left. A tour of a destroyed world one could call it.

But it is never spelled out definatively why Superman returns to Krypton. Ma Kent asks only if he found what he is looking for? But he never answers.

So could it be that there might be something that was on krypton that he was actually looking for.

Just a tangent thought I had, and would love to discuss it with others.

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT WHY SINGER MADE SUPERMAN LEAVE, IT IS INTENDED TO BE A DISCUSSION, WITHIN THE NARRATIVE UNIVERSE THAT WE HAVE ABOUT WHY SUPERMAN LEFT

He left because Singer doesn't mind having a contrived and really bad story.

come on, lets keep the hating out of this. I really don't care if singer is director or not. The world is as it is. So lets get the boogie's out of our asses, and try and discuss the question forwarded without being a jackass.

Well in the original cut of the movie Lex's mute henchmen tricked Superman somehow into thinking that there might be survivor's from Kyrpton. Still you would think that he would have took Brando's word when he told him that Krypton was destroyed. There are others here I'm sure that know more about this completely stupid plot.

come on, lets keep the hating out of this. I really don't care if singer is director or not. The world is as it is. So lets get the boogie's out of our asses, and try and discuss the question forwarded without being a jackass.

No DrMylesOBoogie hit the nail on the head on this one...

It was poor story telling. I'm sorry, I know that's not the purpose of this thread, but it needs to be said. I'd accept Superman leaving Earth to explore Krypton if they gave us a good reason for it. The justification in the movie was vague as best.

If they'd spent less time on Lois's family problems and actually explored Superman's dilemma at leaving behind the woman who loves him and a world that needs him, perhaps we could have had some worthwhile conflict.

Superman left because he heard reports of Krypton still being in existence. As for what his plans were, if Krypton was indeed still around and there were other Kryptonians, who knows? That was never touched upon or mentioned. When Martha asks Clark if he found what he was looking for, he does answer her. He says "that place was a graveyard, I'm all that's left". So from those words, I guess it can be assumed that he was looking for others like him. This was certainly a part of the story that needed more developing and fleshing out and not just be dealt with a few lines of dialogue.

^ That's right. Maybe he was looking for Kandor...

^ That's right. Maybe he was looking for Kandor...

well, that's my point. He could have been looking for anything. I was implied, but never stated why he returned to the remains of krypton. Could this vagueness be used, or adapted for future sequels.

as for you belly achers complaining about storytelling and production value. I really don't care. As I said before, the world is as it is. Let us deal with the material we have to make inferences about the future. Quite simply, this thread is about narrative, not about complaining that you did or didn't get what you want, and who is to blame. Let it go people. It's time to move on to something more interesting and productive

well, that's my point. He could have been looking for anything. I was implied, but never stated why he returned to the remains of krypton. Could this vagueness be used, or adapted for future sequels.

as for you belly achers complaining about storytelling and production value. I really don't care. As I said before, the world is as it is. Let us deal with the material we have to make inferences about the future. Quite simply, this thread is about narrative, not about complaining that you did or didn't get what you want, and who is to blame. Let it go people. It's time to move on to something more interesting and productive

It was in the end, though, just a good reason for Superman to have left earth in the Donner universe. That's all it was. Singer actually used some creativity and said, "Superman finds out that NASA found Krypton!" It's for connection purposes only. It has nothing to do with production value just a way for Bryan to connect SR to S:TM and SII. That's it. I hope you don't try to lie to yourself about it, but it was just bad writing and storytelling for the character. We were never really told what he was expecting to find in the remains.

It was in the end, though, just a good reason for Superman to have left earth in the Donner universe. That's all it was. Singer actually used some creativity and said, "Superman finds out that NASA found Krypton!" It's for connection purposes only. It has nothing to do with production value just a way for Bryan to connect SR to S:TM and SII. That's it. I hope you don't try to lie to yourself about it, but it was just bad writing and storytelling for the character. We were never really told what he was expecting to find in the remains.

and I repeat myself: I don't give a flying **** why the return to krypton was done in reality. The question is: why did superman leave? (the question was NOT why did singer make use of superman returning to krypton).

it's interesting that few people seem to be able to infere on why he left, without refering to singer, or the production of the movie. THIS QUESTION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHY THE PRODUCTION TEAM MADE HIM LEAVE.

THE QUESTION IS SIMPLE PEOPLE: Why did superman leave? answered within the narrative confines of the movie. As far as I'm concerned, Superman's return to krypton was left vague. It was never really made clear definatively why he left. So could this play into a sequel?

It's funny because your complaining about people bringing up the fact that there are holes in Singer's storytelling or that certain parts of the story are underdeveloped, yet you are left asking a question that should have been made clear within this movie! If there was nothing wrong with Singer's storytelling or if certain scenes were more fully developed, then you wouldn't be asking this question.

It was in the end, though, just a good reason for Superman to have left earth in the Donner universe. That's all it was. Singer actually used some creativity and said, "Superman finds out that NASA found Krypton!" It's for connection purposes only. It has nothing to do with production value just a way for Bryan to connect SR to S:TM and SII.

You lost me. How does Superman leaving connect to Superman 2? Believe it or not, this movie has very little to almost nothing to do with Superman 2. In interviews, Singer even said that he didn't reference the relationship between Superman and Lois in S2 but only that they had a relationship of some sort. That's just one example. SR is more of a follow up to S:TM with certain events(Superman and Lois relationship) occuring in between.

It's funny because your complaining about people bringing up the fact that there are holes in Singer's storytelling or that certain parts of the story are underdeveloped, yet you are left asking a question that should have been made clear within this movie! If there was nothing wrong with Singer's storytelling or if certain scenes were more fully developed, then you wouldn't be asking this question.

listen idiot: I don't care if his storytelling was flawed or not. SR HAD ITS WEAKNESS'. But it's done, and there's nothing we can do about it. So stop complaining. You guys have had the last 7 months to complain. I want to discuss the SR universe, not the SR production. So please, what is done, is done. If you want to discuss your dislike for singer, go and do it in the zillion other threads.

I want an open discussion on what reasons could have compelled superman to leave. What could Supermans (not singers) motivations have been to make him leave. Are these motivations things that were left out intentionally in order to lead into a sequel? Do you think Superman just went sightseeing, or was there something more important on the remains of krypton that the audience does not yet know about?

I guess one can assume he was looking for others like himself

as for the proper reason, is it really that important?

LOL, I missed the part in my post where I called you a name. Is this how you normally respond when someone questions you on something? Real mature. :up:

if you weren't illiterate, you would have read twice before you even posted, that I don't care about singer's weakness's, nor those of the production itself, infact, you quoted me, without even reading what you were quoting. This thread's intent is to discuss wether supermans return to krypton plays a role in the overall narrative. But somehow you missed that. I think the name calling was well deserved. Don't take it personally, but I want the thread to stay on topic and not have it turn into another discussion about singer... BECAUSE THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SINGER, IT'S ABOUT THE NARRATIVE.

is it? That's the question. Could his trip to krypton play into the sequel? Was there something on krypton he was looking for? Was there something on krypton that came back with him that we don't yet know about?

Yes, you can assume he may have been looking for other survivors, but as I said before, the reason for his return to krypton was never definitively explained. There are quite literally an infinite number of reasons he could have gone back to krypton. So another question is: was this intentionally left vague?

if you weren't illiterate, you would have read twice before you even posted, that I don't care about singer's weakness's, nor those of the production itself, infact, you quoted me, without even reading what you were quoting. This thread's intent is to discuss wether supermans return to krypton plays a role in the overall narrative. But somehow you missed that. I think the name calling was well deserved. Don't take it personally, but I want the thread to stay on topic and not have it turn into another discussion about singer... BECAUSE THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT SINGER, IT'S ABOUT THE NARRATIVE.

Wow, you sound way too angry. Here :heart:

Wow, you sound way too angry. Here :heart:

I just don't want to explain my intent anymore. I don't like having to repeat myself (hence my edit of the first post just done now). Contribute if you want. Do you think this vagueness behind superman's reason to return to krypton was intentional, in order to lead into a sequel?

is it? That's the question. Could his trip to krypton play into the sequel? Was there something on krypton he was looking for? Was there something on krypton that came back with him that we don't yet know about?

Yes, you can assume he may have been looking for other survivors, but as I said before, the reason for his return to krypton was never definitively explained. There are quite literally an infinite number of reasons he could have gone back to krypton. So another question is: was this intentionally left vague?
well it's quite clear that hindsight may be required to answer this question appropriately. it may have been purposely vague or have ties leading up to a sequel but how can one answer those questions now.

your best bet for making a thread like this would have been sometime during the making of the next film when the plot becomes more clear.

as for now, no one is going to have anything that would cement a decent enough answer for you, so asking it is merely going to stir up hostility generally.

There are many cases of adopted people that, given certain info about their real parents and real roots, leave everything behind due to a extremely strong inner desire to know where he came from, and go for answers. Even when they could know it's entirely possible they won't find a thing.

SR explores a lot Superman's loneliness feeling. Not only that, but that he's aware he's not actually human in spite he looks like one. I mean, if he was the green with antennas kind of alien it would be much more evident for us, but still. I meean, I can easily imagine that could screw up your head. You look human, you behave like human but in the end you aren't, so what are you in the end? What if he hasn't any super-power and therefore wasn't a colorful superhero that saves lives? Would he be so accepted and loved by the world or would he be judged as an outsider and despised? Would he be loved by Lois? Sometimes I feel Superman must think it would be better for him to be a real human and have the chance to love and have a life without so many constant secrets. Not having to lie and hide things from everybody. What if his friends find out about the double identity and how he's forced to be a big pretender? Would he be called a liar? etc etc.

Thinking about all of that, I find natural for Superman to grow a little - and silly? - hope of not being alone in the universe by exploring Krypton's remains.

well it's quite clear that hindsight may be required to answer this question appropriately. it may have been purposely vague or have ties leading up to a sequel but how can one answer those questions now.

your best bet for making a thread like this would have been sometime during the making of the next film when the plot becomes more clear.

as for now, no one is going to have anything that would cement a decent enough answer for you, so asking it is merely going to stir up hostility generally.

I'm not looking for a definitive answer, but a discussion on the subject. As for the time I'm asking, it shouldn't matter. We were discussing stuff like this on here, years before the script, or even singer was attached to the project. So I don't think having an open discussion on why superman left, framed within the narrative of the universe we have defined before us, isn't that much of a stretch.

I just don't want to explain my intent anymore. I don't like having to repeat myself (hence my edit of the first post just done now). Contribute if you want. Do you think this vagueness behind superman's reason to return to krypton was intentional, in order to lead into a sequel?

Fair enough. I do not think this vagueness was intentional or that it will lead into anything for a sequel. Clark's conversation with Martha leads me to believe that he went looking for Krypton to find others like him. I think this conversation is supposed to cover it. The irony was that there was one "like" him on Earth the whole time, Jason. At the end of the movie he realizes this and is at peace with himself and a new chapter in his life begins. IMO, this brings closure to what his intentions were to when he took that trip to Krypton.

sucks13.jpg

You got the answers to your own questions, Superfreak.
The matter is not even worth discussing, cause there's not much point to doing it.

Ah, yes, and after you finish playing with your buzzlightyear and woody, the cowboy dolls, go ask dad what the word respect means, and use that meaning while trying to discuss things with other ppl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"