Justice League The Thanos Problem

I disagree there on the voice actor for S/B: Apocalypse (which was Andre Braugher, btw) but I do agree that there was a certain essence Ironside had that translated greatly to Darkseid.

Still, even with that being said I'd prefer that someone new get a shot at the character.

Actually, the guy who voice Darkseid on that one episode of Batman:Brave and The Bold was actually pretty damn good. His Darkseid voice was terrifying. I wouldn't mind him either.

Both are end game villains, feared large aliens in the far reaches of space, are immensely powerful in their respective universes, and want to use a maguffin to do something to effect life in the universe.

Not being a fan of the comics it's easy to get them confused.

Doing five seconds google search, it's easy to get them differentiated.

I have a bit more faith in people's ocular perception, I guess.

They look nothing alike to me. I can't be the only one.

You're not. I wasn't aware of the "problem" until people here brought it up.

Besides, I always found Darkseid to visually look a bit similar to Apocalypse. I didn't even know who the hell is Thanos until I read it in a web-article after his "Avengers" post-credits appearance.

I haven't watched "Avengers" prior to reading that, but there was a picture attached and I remember my first thought being "man, did they rip an ancient Greek daemons name" and not "man, does he look like Darkseid".

I have a bit more faith in people's ocular perception, I guess.

They look nothing alike to me. I can't be the only one.

You're definitely not. Since I've seen that being said more recently (and because of this thread), I've spent the last week analyzing both Darkseid & Thanos and they are way too different for audiences to even care.

All people are going to care about is who was the bigger badass. I can see people pitting the two against one another & comparing their power levels but I don't see the masses becoming confused once Darkseid shows up.

Darkseid has a stone-esque look, something I hope they really amp up like his Injustice: Gods Among Us appearance. Another thing I hope for is that even if he has a New 52 esque design they don't go with the more mute & brute personality he's displayed thus far in the new comics.

They look different. They have different personalities. They have different motivations. They have different methods.

Don't see any problem here tbh.

I think this would be less of an issue if Justice League Pt.2 and Avengers: IW pt. 2 weren't both coming out the same year and I think it's safe to assume JL Pt. 2 will be Darkseid's debut.

I still don't think that's going to cause an issue. Again, they look different, have different motivations & are overall nothing alike aside from being the biggest villain in their respective debut.

If anything, this is going to get fans more pumped...but it's not going to present any issues. That's why we have Google. :D

The GA doesn't look at the specifics. The GA looks at the general similarities and there are more than one. There are going to be comparisons, 100% guaranteed. If Marvel ****'s the bed with Thanos, the comparisons will still be there, but in Darkseid's favor. Eg. "That's how you revolve a universe around a villain!" "The DCU does what Marvel failed to do right, the man behind the curtains!" Things like that.

However, if Marvel nails Thanos... Standards go up, and they'll criticize Darkseid a lot harder. It all really depends what Marvel does first.

I think some of you underestimate the GA. They are not dumb.

The GA doesn't look at the specifics. The GA looks at the general similarities and there are more than one. There are going to be comparisons, 100% guaranteed. If Marvel ****'s the bed with Thanos, the comparisons will still be there, but in Darkseid's favor. Eg. "That's how you revolve a universe around a villain!" "The DCU does what Marvel failed to do right, the man behind the curtains!" Things like that.

However, if Marvel nails Thanos... Standards go up, and they'll criticize Darkseid a lot harder. It all really depends what Marvel does first.

That was the past. There was a period of time where the general audience didn't pay attention to specifics but audiences are a lot more perceptive now than ever.

No matter what's done with Thanos, it's not going to affect Darkseid at all. Everybody already knows who both of them are & one's success or failure doesn't dictate the future of the other.

Everybody already knows who both of them are & one's success or failure doesn't dictate the future of the other.
I disagree. If they make Thanos one of the best CBM villains you don't think the expectations for Darkseid spike? They're both the main villain in each of their respective universes. That alone makes them more alike and susceptible to direct comparison wither people agree with that or not.

How they're introduced, how much screen time they get, it's all going to be compared. Thanos just happens to be coming sooner, he'll definitely be setting the tone.

I'm not doubting that if Thanos is done well it'll up the ante for supervillains but I'm just saying that people won't look at it in a way where they feel Darkseid has to be handled exactly like Thanos in terms of how he's characterized.

Yes, given Marvel's recent track record of villain portrayals, I'm terrified that they'll set the bar so high with Thanos that...I can't even finish.

Dont use Darkseid for JL1 and JL2.Its quite simple really.
Believe it or not there are other villains the JusticeLeague can use.
Wait till Avengers is done with Thanos,then learn from what they did,improve it and bring Darkseid Later down the Line,

I think the Justice League shouldnt go cosmic right now-If They are Smart they will go Chronal.Thats right Timetravel.Beat Marvel to the Punch before they go Chronal with Kang the Conqueror.

JL1 will have a Villain from the Future send enemies to the Present.
JL2 will have the Justice League going to Future to defeat this Futuristic Villain.

My Villain Choice are Braniac 13 or Imperiex.
or just go with alternate realities as their Schtick while Marvel goes into space.
Fingers crossed for the Crime Syndicate somewhere down the line.
:up:

I don't mind stories about alternate realities but for the time being I'm hoping they'll keep Darkseid away from that material. Let's get him established in the main universe first before we venture off to other ones.

We have no idea what Darkseid and Apocalypse motivations will be in these films. Or how they will be written or portrayed at all. Both those guys will likely make their big cinematic debut playing the main villain before Thanos does in Avengers IW. At least we know Apocalypse will. There will definitely be comparisons among these three major comic book villains.

Why are we blowing our load so fast guys? If people really think DC/WB havent planned on going past the current slate of films they are crazy. There is no need to introduce Darkseid this early in the universe. Relax.

With the appearance of Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy and his likely presence as the focus of Avengers 3 in 2018, it seems that Thanos is ready to hit the big time. But given his similarity to Darkseid, the question remains -- by the time Darkseid finally appears (presumably in a Justice League movie), will audiences at that point see him as a mere ripoff of Thanos?

Obviously such a fate would be extremely ironic given that the character of Thanos in the comics was heavily influenced by Darkseid.

A lot of people already know who Darkseid is and can't wait to see him make an appearance on film. There is an entire library of animated shows and movies featuring the character. I don't think that most people will think that Darkseid is a ripoff of Thanos. In fact, if DC Entertainment does their marketing right, they will explain who the character is, who created him and why he is such a badass in the DCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"