Justice League The Thanos Problem

dont get a damn about the inevitable comparisons its gonna happen so why worry. all i care about is Michael ironside does the voice

I was thinking that but it'd probably just be better to get someone new to do the voice.

Still, I wouldn't have a problem with Ironside returning but it's always nice to see a new guy get a shot...especially when it's concerning a character on the scale of Darkseid.

honestly i know it sounds fanboyish but i dont think anyone has come close to the scale needed for darkseid apart from ironside so far

hell the guy in the Apocalypse movie as abysmal

I disagree there on the voice actor for S/B: Apocalypse (which was Andre Braugher, btw) but I do agree that there was a certain essence Ironside had that translated greatly to Darkseid.

Still, even with that being said I'd prefer that someone new get a shot at the character.

I would like to see Michael Dorn play Darksied. I think he could do a ready good job with the character.

I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and now I'm 100% sure that Thanos won't be a problem. At all.

He wasn't nearly intimidating and threatening enough and the film even showed that he's not someone people wouldn't dare to cross. The second villain (I forgot his name) did so and he was actually a wimp. For a character that is supposed to be a major cosmic threat, it was a bad choice to do so.

And even lookwise he's not that similar to Darkseid, actually he somewhat reminds me of Tomator from the "Lost Vikings" :woot::

losvk-1.gif

To presume that this character would prove an issue to inclusion of Darkseid in DCCU is senseless. That is, if WB doesn't make a huge mistake with depiction of Darkseid and misses the character by a long shot.

By the way, I expected to like GOTG, but while it was fun, I was disappointed by it... I knew that it's going to be rather silly and comedic movie and have watched it when I was in a mood for something like that, but it seems that I simply can't get to like Marvel's humor.

I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and now I'm 100% sure that Thanos won't be a problem. At all.

He wasn't nearly intimidating and threatening enough and the film even showed that he's not someone people wouldn't dare to cross. The second villain (I forgot his name) did so and he was actually a wimp. For a character that is supposed to be a major cosmic threat, it was a bad choice to do so.

And even lookwise he's not that similar to Darkseid, actually he somewhat reminds me of Tomator from the "Lost Vikings" :woot::

losvk-1.gif

To presume that this character would prove an issue to inclusion of Darkseid in DCCU is senseless. That is, if WB doesn't make a huge mistake with depiction of Darkseid and misses the character by a long shot.

By the way, I expected to like GOTG, but while it was fun, I was disappointed by it... I knew that it's going to be rather silly and comedic movie and have watched it when I was in a mood for something like that, but it seems that I simply can't get to like Marvel's humor.

I don't see how you got that impression considering Ronan was scared to death when Thanos threatened him & Ronan only had the courage to challenge him when he had one of the Infinity Gems. And even then, Thanos wasn't worried at all.

I wouldn't say Thanos was scary (like KillerWolf said, I've seen too much horror to label him as that) but I'd definitely say he's a huge threat. Even Loki was scared of him & deep down was worried about him failing. And he'll still most likely have to answer to Thanos for his failure later down the line.

But I do still agree he poses no threat to Darkseid, especially if he's presented correctly. If not, Thanos will just have one more notch under his belt than Darkseid does.

I too have seen GotG two days ago, and I agree, Thanos wasn't impressive at all. We're told he is a threat, but I never had that feeling.

I don't see how you got that impression considering Ronan was scared to death when Thanos threatened him & Ronan only had the courage to challenge him when he had one of the Infinity Gems. And even then, Thanos wasn't worried at all.

I wouldn't say Thanos was scary (like KillerWolf said, I've seen too much horror to label him as that) but I'd definitely say he's a huge threat. Even Loki was scared of him & deep down was worried about him failing. And he'll still most likely have to answer to Thanos for his failure later down the line.

But I do still agree he poses no threat to Darkseid, especially if he's presented correctly. If not, Thanos will just have one more notch under his belt than Darkseid does.

I honestly only saw that they tried to show him as a threat by having Loki being scared/unsettled by him and giving him the usual villains "threatening to end ones life violently while speaking about the matter like he's talking about sipping tea" scene. And even that line wasn't delivered calmly enough to have really strong impact.

Also the very fact that Ronan had the balls to challenge him, gem or not, undermined the character significantly. He should have avoided Thanos completely and disconnect the connection with him when he took the gem, not openly and aggressively challenge him.

It's exactly like Naked Bat said - we're told he is a threat, but we never got that feeling.

I honestly only saw that they tried to show him as a threat by having Loki being scared/unsettled by him and giving him the usual villains "threatening to end ones life violently while speaking about the matter like he's talking about sipping tea" scene. And even that line wasn't delivered calmly enough to have really strong impact.

Also the very fact that Ronan had the balls to challenge him, gem or not, undermined the character significantly. He should have avoided Thanos completely and disconnect the connection with him when he took the gem, not openly and aggressively challenge him.

It's exactly like Naked Bat said - we're told he is a threat, but we never got that feeling.

Ronan deciding to challenge him AFTER acquiring an Infinity Gem doesn't undermine Thanos' credibility as a threat at all, imo. It's not like we saw Thanos get his ass kicked or anything of the sort. Ronan just threatened him, Thanos ignored it & then Ronan got beat by Star Lord.

This early on, I don't think it's necessary that they go all out with Thanos to show how much of a threat he is. It'll be established in the coming films as we get closer to Infinity War.

Ronan deciding to challenge him AFTER acquiring an Infinity Gem doesn't undermine Thanos' credibility as a threat at all, imo. It's not like we saw Thanos get his ass kicked or anything of the sort. Ronan just threatened him, Thanos ignored it & then Ronan got beat by Star Lord.

This early on, I don't think it's necessary that they go all out with Thanos to show how much of a threat he is. It'll be established in the coming films as we get closer to Infinity War.

Could be that it will.

Still I think they should've done so from the very moment he appeared in the scene. And I don't mean for him to go "all out" for that, quite the opposite actually, it should be subtle, but written and acted differently than it was.

so far, Thanos has been quite forgettable.

What's so funny about him? :dry:

I just hope Darkseid is horrifying.

losvk-1.gif

There not really doing much with Thanos. There not trying to make him intimidating or scary per say. He there to make audience wonder who he is. The intimidating and scary will come later.

If you add up the total amount of screen time Thanos has had it probably comes out to about 5 minutes total. You can't judge the character based on that amount of screen time.

At this point Thanos is far more intimidating then Darksied see how they have done squat with Darksied. On that not we don't even know if they will use Darksied.

This will be like the black stormtrooper debate

A few casual fans will go online to protest Darksied only to be silenced by an army of super-nerds who correct them without mercy.

As I've said before, this is a non-issue. Nevermind the fact that the two characters are entirely different in terms of characterization, personality, and motives, but the physical similarities are fleeting at best.

Comparisons are only being drawn because they're both monster-gods that are THE big bads of their respective universes. In reality, they're about as similar to each other as Palpatine and Voldemort are to each other. Same basic concept (arch villain of series, the center of all evil), different executions.

Very well said! It's a short, clear and completely on-point post. Kind of a rarity around here, if I may say so.

And I like the Voldemort/Palpatine comparison.

One looks like this:

250px-Darkseidgeogreperez.jpg

The other looks like this:

thanos-black.jpg

One is the unquestioned dictator of his own planet, Apokolips.
One resides on the outskirts of the cosmos on a little meteorite.

One wants to control all life in the universe with the Anti-Life Equation.
One wants to end all life in the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet.

Where exactly is the confusion?
What indeed.
Case closed.

As I've said before, this is a non-issue. Nevermind the fact that the two characters are entirely different in terms of characterization, personality, and motives, but the physical similarities are fleeting at best.

Comparisons are only being drawn because they're both monster-gods that are THE big bads of their respective universes. In reality, they're about as similar to each other as Palpatine and Voldemort are to each other. Same basic concept (arch villain of series, the center of all evil), different executions.

:STR: Pretty much says it all right here. I get that Darkseid was a big inspiration for Thanos' appearance (in terms of his bulk, primarily) but that's literally where the similarities end.

Honestly, Thanos would have a better chance of being confused with Hellboy (which has actually happened already) than Darkseid.

One looks like this:

250px-Darkseidgeogreperez.jpg

The other looks like this:

thanos-black.jpg

One is the unquestioned dictator of his own planet, Apokolips.
One resides on the outskirts of the cosmos on a little meteorite.

One wants to control all life in the universe with the Anti-Life Equation.
One wants to end all life in the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet.

Where exactly is the confusion?

Both are end game villains, feared large aliens in the far reaches of space, are immensely powerful in their respective universes, and want to use a maguffin to do something to effect life in the universe.

Not being a fan of the comics it's easy to get them confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"