The Wolverine The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 1

Have your say. How much world wide do you think this film will make. Personally, I think about $350-400M.

Wolverine hit 350 million mark worldwide. I'm glad.

It's not yet been released in Egypt, Venezuela and - notably - Japan. It should definitely get a boost from Japan. I'd say it could finish with $375m, maybe $385m. Not sure it will get to $400m at this stage, though it's still playing here in the UK (but mostly only in 2D now).

So worldwide, it should finish up about even with the first solo film. I'll take that.

I guess so. It has had better legs, I think, but a weaker start.

However, it's only actually been in cinemas for a month. It seems a lifetime ago when i first saw it. So the money will still trickle in for a while yet, and it should get a bump when the September 13 Japan launch happens. No sign of a China release, though.

Films used to play on screens for about 3 or 4 months but it can be less now, depending on ticket sales.

Man I really wish this movie can release in China glad it hit 350

Just want it to pass Origins.

It should be able to pass origins, the raised 3D ticket price will help or at least it should do

Once apon a time I thought this film actually could have broken $500 mil

It should be able to pass origins, the raised 3D ticket price will help or at least it should do

Once apon a time I thought this film actually could have broken $500 mil

Not with the combination of poor marketing, a release coming after a summer of action movies and at the start of the holiday season, and not enough emphasis on a powerful idea (immortality vs mortality) as a selling point. That concept needed to be made a lot stronger and the trailers/marketing needed to be much more enticing.

Only 4 non children films have made it to 500m ww this year. Been a tough year.

Wow this film is only 3 million behind First Class WW now, very surprised and pleased by that, shows Fox are learning at least as it should go past that once it hits Japan.

Wish I could see it once more in the cinema but it had long gone from the ones round my parts.

WW is a good sign domestic not so much. Audiences are getting tired of Wolverine and maybe X-Men films in general. I still think DOFP can hit $250m but that's about it. It has the potential for $350m+ OS though, which I think it will hit.

As for Wolverine, I think it will gross around $30m in Japan to bring Wolverine to $255m OS and $385m-ish WW.

You think its gonna make that much in Japan when the previous two movies in the franchise made less than a third of that?

You think its gonna make that much in Japan when the previous two movies in the franchise made less than a third of that?

It could happen. You have to remember; the film is set in Japan and features several prominent Japanese actors/models. That could make for a huge push.

Still not seeing that big of a jump, X-Men isn't really a hot property there.

Still not seeing that big of a jump, X-Men isn't really a hot property there.

Understandable...but again, this features the Japanese culture. It's barely an X-Men movie. It really is just Wolverine alone in Japan.

I don't think it will hit 400 million but it can come really close

Yes because it's a genuine Japanese film...like it's the closes thing to a Japanese Hollywood blockbuster in recent memory.

Pacific Rim showed Japanese fetishes created by Hollywood doesn't necessarily translate to big hits over there (although PR should hit around $25m which is respectable there). However The Wolverine actually uses Japanese elements and is heavily rooted in the culture. The entire theme of the movie is about Japanese principles like familial honor and tradition. It's set completely in Japan with the exception of the first 10-15 minutes not even counting the Nagasaki scene at the beginning. I could go on.

Is there any chance Wolverine will have a China release?

The Wolverine now has the highest overseas gross (unadjusted) in the X-franchise at $225,600,000, passings X3's $224,997,093. And still ticking.

The Wolverine now has the highest overseas gross (unadjusted) in the X-franchise at $225,600,000, passings X3's $224,997,093. And still ticking.

And about to get a nice boost from Japan, would love it if it managed to top Origins WW total, that would make me very satisfied indeed, but we shall see.

Kind of makes you understand the casting of Omar Sy and Fan Bingbing in DoFP.

Hopefully with the Japan release, it will outgross Origins' WW gross! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"