The Wolverine The 'The Wolverine' Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 1

Here is something from BOM. Has Wolverine In The Toss Up Section.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3724&p=.htm

The Wolverine: As a follow-up to the poorly-received X-Men Origins: Wolverine—and with a cast made up largely of unknown Japanese actors—The Wolverine wound up being the lowest-grossing movie in the X-Men franchise at the domestic box office (just over $130 million). At the same time, it's already the highest-grossing outing overseas, and that's before it even reaches Japan.

Written off as a flop on its opening weekend, The Wolverine stuck around here and there long enough to end up right in the middle of the X-Men franchise. At $120 million domestic, it’s dead-last behind the $146m gross of X-Men: First Class. Worldwide, it’s the fourth-biggest of six films, with $358m, or about $15m away from the $373m gross of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It might get there, but even if it doesn’t it’s still among the cheaper X-Men entries at $120m.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...man-of-steel-wraps-up-the-wolverine-survives/

Looking at the American films released in China (link), I feel like The Wolverine should at least get 20 to 30 million. After Earth, A Good Day to Die Hard earned 30 million plus, while White House Down and Cloud Atlas earned more than $25 million.

Then at least 10 million in Japan. A Good Day to Die Hard surprisingly earned $21 million in Japan, so if things are really looking good for The Wolverine, it should get more than that.

Domestic: $129,438,000 35.8%
Foreign: $232,235,000 64.2%
Worldwide: $361,673,000

With a Japan release this week and the (hopefully true) China release, that should be enough to put the movie well over the $400 million WW mark :D

It should!

I think with the upcoming release in Japan/China, the film can still get at least 39 million more!

Has it been confirmed that Wolverine would release in China?

I can't believe Iron Man 3 has a higher User RT score than this :(

Around $2.6M for the weekend in Japan.

Not exactly. I got the info from the boxoffice.com forums. Its a guesstimate for now.

Well if that's the case, I don't think $2.6 millio is Japan's opening numbers. Boxofficemojo.com has the international numbers jumpingby roughly $3 million...without listing Japan's opening numbers.

I'm pretty sure, so far, that's the international number round-up...without Japan.

BOM updates overall total for the foreign numbers but for individual countries it comes later. They always do this. So most likely the foreign total for this weekend includes Japan they just don't have the breakdown for it yet.

BOM updates overall total for the foreign numbers but for individual countries it comes later. They always do this. So most likely the foreign total for this weekend includes Japan they just don't have the breakdown for it yet.

My thoughts too. Hoping for a decent word-of-mouth, perhaps the film will linger on enough to get some good numbers. It wasn't a huge hit anywhere, was it? It just...survived and endured nicely.

a 2.6 million opening in Japan would be a major disappointment especially considering it's set in Japan, Has famous Japanese actors and is a big(ish) budget Hollywood Blockbuster with 3D.

I hope that is incorrect. If it is even kind of close, we can kiss 400 million worldwide goodbye.

Either way though, It has already over tripled its Budget worldwide, Is the highest Grossing X-Men film overseas and has already made all its money back and is already profitting not counting product placement marketing or future DVD/Bluray sells, rentals, downloads, ppv or selling TV rights.

This movie was a very profitable indeavor.

The first GI Joe got a sequel from a 300million wwgross on a 175m budget.

And this movie is definitely more profitable (in theaters) than the last 3 X-Men films. It didnt do well in America but was a profitable venture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"