The Ultimate College Football Thread!!!!!!!!! OMG - - Part 2

12/20/19: 2 Bowl Games
Makers Wanted Bahamas Bowl (Mid-American vs. Conference USA): Buffalo 31 Charlotte 9

Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl (Mid-American vs. WAC): Kent State 51 Utah State 41

12/21/19: 6 Bowl Games
Mitsubishi Motors Las Vegas Bowl (Pack 12 vs. WAC Conference Champ): Washington 38 Boise State 7

R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (Sunbelt Conference Champ vs. Conference USA Runner-Up): Appalachian State 31 UAB 17

New Mexico Bowl (WAC vs. Mid-American) San Diego State 48 Central Michigan 11

Cheribundi Boca Raton Bowl (Conference USA Winner vs. AAC): Florida Atlantic 52 SMU 28

Camelia Bowl (Sunbelt Conference vs. Conference USA) Arkansas State 34 Florida International 26

FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl (Independent FBS Team vs. Sunbelt Conference): Liberty 23 Georgia Southern 16

Overall How I'd Rank Conferences By Performance (only 1 Power 5 Team has played so far being Washington so am not including those conferences yet):
AAC (most powerful of the Group of 5 Conferences this year despite large gap between group of 5 and Power 5): 0-1 SMU losing to Florida Atlantic

WAC Conference 1-2 (Conference Champion Lost to Power 5 Team). Boise State losing to Washington of course is no surprise as Washington is a really tough program that's been known to give anyone playing them in a big game issues lower seeded or not.

Sunbelt Conference (Conference Champion Won): 2-1 Appalachian State won Multiple National Championships in FCS Football (kind of wonder how they'd do against North Dakota State now). Georgia Southern beat Appalatian State during the year but lost today and dropped a number of games through the season; like Appalatian State they're another program that's moved up to FBS football from the FCS in the last 6 years or so.

Conference USA 1-3 (although conference champion won very impressive, it was their last seeds that lost and their runnerup UAB lost to a power ranked Appalatian State team). Florida Atlantics impressive win puts them on the map though not to mention UAB didn't lose by much and was up at one point I believe despite playing kind of flat at times through the season.

Overall, impressive performance by Florida Atlantic against a tough AAC team (3rd in the West bracket) as SMU only lost 2 games this year against conference rivals Navy and Memphis. Florida Atlantic lost to Ohio State at the beginning of the year 21-45 then later 14-48 against AAC team Central Florida and then mid-October to conference rival Marshall by small margin 31-36. Florida Atlantic's coach left for Ol' Miss after winning the conference championship by a large margin against UAB. They've looked pretty good at the end of the year.

FIU and Charlotte being the last seeds of the 8 bowl eligible teams from Conference USA lost I see. I'm kind of surprised by Buffalo's margin of victory as they've kind of been on/off some games but when they get going they can put some points on the board.

Mid-American: 2-1 I thought Mid-American conference may go winless with exception of maybe Buffalo winning due to good offense despite being a mid-seeded Mid-American team they can score efficiently. Out of the "Group of 5" conferences Mid-American's been pretty weak this year. A lot of the top seeds lost in big blowouts at the beginning of the year to Power 5 teams (Top Seeds Miami of Ohio 5-76 against Ohio State in September and Central Michigan 0-61 to Wisconsin and Western Michigan 17-51 against Michigan State or 33-52 to Syracuse to see how stack up to Power 5 teams for example). I still see the conference runner-up Central Michigan lost by a fairly wide margin today though.

************Independent (3 of the 6 Independent Teams are Bowl Eligible this year): As not a conference not worth tracking performance but should be noted Liberty beat Georgia Southern.

Overall, the story of the day I think is Florida Atlantic. The Mountain West's Conference losses today have me re-thinking how good the teams in that conference are after Utah State's Loss to Kent State in a high scoring game. San Diego State blowing out Central Michigan was impressive though.

FCS NCAA Division 1 Games:
12/21/2019 FCS Playoff Semifinals:
North Dakota State (Fargo) 42 vs. Montana State (Bozeman) 14
*North Dakota State has won 15 National Championships (3 in the "College Division" before it re-named to Division 2 then 5 in Division 2 until moving to Division 1 FCS Division in 2004 then winning 7 National Championships since 2010 which is very impressive; they're always a contender any given year)

James Madison (Harrisonburg, Virginia) 30 vs. Weber State (Ogden, Utah) 14

12/21/19: Celebration Bowl
(SWAC Champion vs. MIAC Chambion; both conferences don't participate in the FCS playoffs and have had this conference champs faceoff since 2015):
North Carolina A&T (Greensboro, North Carolina) 64 vs. Alcorn State (Alcorn, Mississippi) 44
North Carolina A&T wins Celebration Bowl in record-setting fashion

This weekends update for Locally- Known Programs:
12/20/19: NCAA D3 Championship known as the Stagg Bowl:
North Central 41(from Naperville Illinois) Whitewater 14 (from Whitewater Wisconsin)
North Central beats Wisconsin-Whitewater in Stagg Bowl, wins 2019 DIII football championship | NCAA.com

12/21/19: NCAA D2 Championship:
West Florida (Pennasocola, FL) 48 Minnesota State (Mankato, MN) 40 Minnesota State Mankato stopped on final play, loses Division II title game 48-40

12/21/19: NAIA Championship (For Football it's all 1 Division; schools could be seen as equivalent to maybe a Division 2 or 3 Program of NCAA):
Morningside (Sioux City, Iowa) 40 Marian (Indianapolis, Indiana) 38
Preview: Undefeated Morningside, Marian set to square off in 2019 NAIA Football Championship
Game News: Morningside Claims Back-to-Back NAIA Football Championships

Last edited:
Wtf is with all the links :huh:

Only the red areas are links.

After some of the game scores, I linked to game summary's for lesser known teams that aren't nationally talked about. Just thought it was worth recognizing local programs involved and how results played out.

For FBS just 1 link being the espn scoreboard at the top.

Last edited:
FBS Update: NCAAF College Football Scores - NCAAF Scoreboard - ESPN
12/23/19:
Bad Boy Movers Gasparilla Bowl: UCF 48 Marshall 25

12/24/19:
SoFi Hawaii Bowl: Hawaii 38 BYU 34

12/26/19:
Walk-On's Independence Bowl: Louisiana Tech 14 Miami 0
Quick Lane Bowl: Pittsburgh 34 Eastern Michigan 30

12/27/19:
New Era Pinstripe Bowl: Michigan State 27 Wake Forest 21
Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman: North Carolina 55 Temple 13
Academy Sports+Outdoors Texas Bowl: Texas A&M 24 Oklahoma State 21
San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl: Iowa 49 USC 24
Cheez-It Bowl: Air Force 31 Washington State 21

Conference Record Update So far (79 Teams were Eligible but only can have 78 this year so Toledo was not invited from Mid-American Conference):
9 out of 14 Invited to Bowl within SEC: 1-0
9 out of 14 Big 10: 2-0
6 out of 10 Big 12: 0-1
7 out of 12 Pac 12: 1-2
10 out of 14 ACC: 2-2

7 out of 12 Invited to Bowl within AAC: 1-2
7 out of 12 WAC: 3-2
5 out of 10 Invited from Sunbelt: 2-1
8 out of 14 Invited from Conference USA: 2-4
7 out of 14 Invited from Mid-American 2-2
3 out of 6 Independent Teams: 1-1

Few Random Thoughts Since Last Weekend:

A) Ugly end to the Pittsburgh and Eastern Michigan Game as the Eastern Michigan's QB was ejected right at the end of a competitive game; not the best way to end a senior year and a bit frustrating still cause if he would've spiked the ball they may've gotten a field goal before the half but in any case was an interesting end to the game with a ref inadvertantly struck: WATCH: Eastern Michigan QB ejected after inadvertently slapping referee in Quick Lane Bowl

B) Iowa had a great game and USC's 25 point loss was the largest in a bowl game since being shutout by Michigan 49-0 in 1948.

C) One of the most evenly matched bowl games so far with Oklahoma State and Texas A&M I missed entirely but really want to check some of the highlights on when I get the chance.

D) Just watched the Cheez-It bowl after work and Air Force looked pretty good on offense. I wasn't aware they have the 2nd best 3rd down conversion percentage in FBS football with less than 5 yards to go. Air Force ran a lot of trick running plays and Washington just maybe should've taken the field goals earlier in the game when they had the chance as 2 red zone drives resulted in nothing going for it on 4th. The time of possession kept Washington State's chances down as Airforce kept the clock running spending most of the time marching down field with a great dive to the endzone on the final score resulting in the player getting injured right as he reached over the pylon.

E) LA Tech was at the top of their bracket in Conference USA most of the year and dropped a few at the end of the year to lose their spot playing in the Conference Championship. Still, they played Miami on one of Miami's off years and were underdogs by 1 touchdown but won the game getting 10 wins for the first time ever since LA Tech moved up to FBS Division 1 football in 1988.

End result for Miami was:
1) The first program ever to be shut-out in the Independence Bowl

2) this was also the first time Miami's been shut-out in 25 years in a Bowl Game

3) first time in 40 years a Power 5 team was shut-out by a non-Power 5 team in a bowl game

4) 3rd team in FBS football history to be featured in bowl games 2 years in a row scoring a combined total of 3 or fewer points.

Miami football made history with an awful shutout loss in the Independence Bowl
Miami football made history with an awful shutout loss in the Independence Bowl
After losing their first two games by a combined seven points, Manny Diaz’s Miami Hurricanes rallied in his first season as head coach to win six of their next eight games, including a convincing signature win over rival Florida State. The final three weeks of the season, however, could not have gone any worse.

Miami entered Thursday’s Independence Bowl in Shreveport coming off back-to-back losses to Florida International and Duke, but were still favored by a touchdown over Louisiana Tech. The Hurricanes delivered one of their worst bowl performances in program history against the underrated Bulldogs, losing 14-0 to become the first team in Independence Bowl history to be shut out. Miami managed just 227 yards of offense, rarely got out of their own territory and never even attempted a field goal throughout the game...

How does this happen?

Are there recruiting off years or just having the right talent but needing to hone their consistency and skills somewhat? Urban Meyer makes a case for this at the 6:40 mark seen here I remember watching earlier this month https:// www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=404&v=1AQeJjlawHs&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:
Hawkeyes looks good in the Holiday Bowl giving USC the beat down, 49-24.

TDIowa.jpg

Brief FBS Update:
December 28:
Camping World Bowl: Notre Dame 33 Iowa State 9
Cotton Bowl: Penn State 53 Memphis 39
Peach Bowl (CFB Designation): LSU 63 Oklahoma 28
Fiesta Bowl (CFB Designation): Clemson 29 Ohio State 23

December 30:
1st Responder Bowl: Western Kentucky 23 Western Michigan 20
Music City Bowl: Louisville 38 Mississippi State 28
Redbox Bowl: California 35 Illinois 20
Orange Bowl: Florida 36 Virginia 28

Conference Record Update So far (79 Teams were Eligible but only can have 78 this year so Toledo was not invited from Mid-American Conference):
9 out of 14 Invited to Bowl within SEC: 3-1
9 out of 14 Big 10: 3-2
6 out of 10 Big 12: 0-3
7 out of 12 Pac 12: 2-2
10 out of 14 ACC: 4-3

7 out of 12 Invited to Bowl within AAC: 1-3
7 out of 12 WAC: 3-2
5 out of 10 Invited from Sunbelt: 2-1
8 out of 14 Invited from Conference USA: 3-4
7 out of 14 Invited from Mid-American 2-3
3 out of 6 Independent Teams: 2-1

*A lot of the seedings are offset to encourage even results within interconference competition within the contract framework for each bowl game as specified here for the 2019 season: Bids to college bowl games - Wikipedia

15 out of the 40 Bowl Games Left (78 Eligible Teams)
Dec 31 – Alamo Bowl, Utah vs. Texas

Dec 31 – Belk Bowl, Virginia Tech vs. Kentucky

Dec 31 – Sun Bowl, Arizona St vs. Florida St

Dec 31 – Liberty Bowl, Kansas St vs. Navy

Dec 31 – Arizona Bowl, Wyoming vs. Georgia State

Jan 1 – Citrus Bowl, Michigan vs. Alabama

Jan 1 – Outback Bowl, Minnesota vs. Auburn

Jan 1 – Rose Bowl, Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Jan 1 – Sugar Bowl, Georgia vs. Baylor

Jan 2 – Birmingham Bowl, Boston College vs. Cincinnati

Jan 2 – Gator Bowl, Tennessee vs. Indiana

Jan 3 – Idaho Potato Bowl, Nevada vs. Ohio

Jan 4 – Armed Forces Bowl, Tulane vs. Southern Miss (Early Game Before NFL Playoffs Round 1)

Jan 6 – Lending Tree Bowl, Louisiana vs. Miami Ohio

Jan 13 - CFB National Championship; Clemson vs. LSU

*FCS Football:
*Jan. 11 FCS Championship (1-AA) North Dakota State vs. James Madison (early game before 2nd round of NFL playoffs)

The Belk Bowl turned out to be one of the most exciting football games of the week (I wonder what this will be called next year as Belk's sponsership just ended). What a wild end as the draft prospects of QB/Wide Reciever Lynn Bowden went through the roof. This and the Eastern Michigan/Pittsburgh game the week before were 2 very hotly contested contests that on paper seemed pretty run of the mill bowls of teams I really hadn't followed all season.

Some of the bigger bowls were pretty good too. The Baylor team needs to improve their O-Line in the off season and great win for Georgia. Oregon's defense played phenomenal against Wisconsin as well. Just a lot of games to comment on...

Some surprises I felt were the extent of Texas's win against Utah as was Cincinnati's win against Boston College whom Ohio State's offensive coordinator will be head coaching next year. The Minnesota and Auburn result surprised me as well.

Ending FCS Update:
Jan. 11 FCS Championship (1-AA): North Dakota State (Fargo, North Dakota) 28 vs. James Madison (Harrisonburg, Virginia) 20
*The conference champ of the Missouri Valley Conference vs. Conference Champ of Colonial Conference in the championship. Despite North Dakota State having won 8 titles in 9 years and the winningest record since 2010 for FCS play, they've also won more games than any other FCS school founded after 1897. Still James Madison was favored. A fake kick touchdown and interception in the endzone to end the game marked the end though and yet another national championship for North Dakota State.

Ending FBS Update (40 Bowl Games Overall Including the ChampionShip; therefore 78 Eligible Teams for the 2019 Season):
12/31/19:
Alamo Bowl:
Texas 38 vs. Utah 20
Belk Bowl: Kentucky 37 vs. Virginia Tech 30
Sun Bowl: Arizona St 20 vs. Florida St 14
Liberty Bowl: Navy 20 vs. Kansas St 17
Arizona Bowl: Wyoming 38 vs. Georgia State 17

1/1/20
Citrus Bowl: Alabama 35 vs. Michigan 16
Outback Bowl: Minnesota 31 vs. Auburn 24
Rose Bowl: Oregon 28 vs. Wisconsin 27
Sugar Bowl: Georgia 26 vs. Baylor 14

1/2/20
Birmingham Bowl: Cincinnati 38 vs. Boston College 6
Gator Bowl: Tennessee 23 vs. Indiana 22

1/3/20:
Idaho Potato Bowl: Ohio 30 vs. Nevada 21

1/4/20:
Armed Forces Bowl: Tulane 30 vs. Southern Miss 13

1/6/20:
Lending Tree Bowl: Louisiana Lafayette 27 vs. Miami of Ohio 17

1/13/20:
CFB National Championship: LSU 42 vs. Clemson 25

Conference Record Total For All Bowls In order of Conference Power During Season (79 Teams were Eligible but only can have 78 this year so Toledo was not invited from Mid-American Conference):
9 out of 14 Invited to Bowl within SEC: 7-2 (8-2 counting CFB Championship)
9 out of 14 Big 10: 4-5
6 out of 10 Big 12: 1-5
7 out of 12 Pac 12: 4-3
10 out of 14 ACC: 4-6 (4-7 counting CFB Championship)

7 out of 12 Invited to Bowl within AAC: 4-3
7 out of 12 WAC: 4-3
5 out of 10 Invited from Sunbelt: 3-2
8 out of 14 Invited from Conference USA: 3-5
7 out of 14 Invited from Mid-American 3-4
3 out of 6 Independent Teams: 2-1

*All Scores Gave Above sorted by Conference Record Here as Well for Easy Review: 2019-20 Conference bowl records: Scores, updates through title game | NCAA.com

*A lot of the seedings per conference aren't matched evenly in the bowls and are offset to encourage even results. Also, each bowl must be within the interconference competition contract framework as specified here for the 2019 season: Bids to college bowl games - Wikipedia

Last edited:
On a side note, I actually wonder if North Carolina may give Clemson a run for their money next year again like they did this year only play more consistently through the entire year. They blew out Temple and Texas looked pretty good too. Some projections have of course been floating around these past 3 weeks for the 2020 season but will have to see how things progress...

The beginning of the year also marks an interesting time for most of the FCS vs. FBS matchups. I looked through the ending FCS Coaches Poll of 2019 and cross referenced a few of these higher ranked teams on FBschedules for the 2020 season just to see what there was. I see FCS teams are back again to an 11 game regular season schedule next year (more on why this is here: https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/push-for-12-game-fcs-season-may-return-041717).

In any case, I see North Dakota State playing Oregon as can be seen amongst other places here: Future North Dakota State Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com (also, runnerup James Madison plays North Carolina their 3rd game of the season I see). I think North Dakota State's losing some Seniors as is Oregon but should be an interesting match-up as the last power FBS team North Dakota State played I believe was Iowa and they eaked out an upset back in 2016. Oregon's next two non-conference games before Pac-12 play begins is against Ohio State and Hawaii as well.

The final rankings will be updated soon on the AP for FBS play as can be seen here now that the final game's over: College Football Rankings 2019 Coaches Poll and Playoff Rankings last updated the 8th of December before Bowl Season but the AP and CBS ones have just been updated (CBS one really doesn't seem very accurate at the moment to reflect bowl games very well though). I'd put Oregon as number 4 as their defense looked really good against Wisconsin but undersand them ending at number 5 on the AP with Georgia sticking around. Notre Dame I think deserves top 10 at the very least as they blew out Iowa State. They should've been given a top 10 team in the bowls but contracted bowl games and offset selections don't really make final rankings too easy outside the top 3.

Last edited:
Guess Dabo can stop wondering why the media is always “doubting” Clemson.

In case people haven't been following the coaching carousel, here's a list of all the D1 FBS head coaching changes:

Fired:
Willie Taggart at Florida State
Chris Ash at Rutgers
Chad Morris at Arkansas
Barry Odom at Missouri
Steve Addazio at Boston College
Charlie Strong at USF
Matt Luke at Ole Miss
Tony Sanchez at UNLV
Frank Wilson at UT-San Antonio
Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State

Resigned/Retired:
Jeff Tedford at Fresno State
Chris Petersen at Washington
Mike Bobo at Colorado State
Bob Davie at New Mexico

Hired:
Greg Schiano at Rutgers
Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss
Jimmy Lake at Washington
Mike Norvell at Florida State
Eli Drinkwitz at Missouri
Sam Pittman at Arkansas
Jeff Scott at USF
Jeff Traylor at UTSA
Ricky Rahne at Old Dominion
Marcus Arroyo at UNLV
Willie Taggart at Florida Atlantic
Steve Addazio at Colorado State
Shawn Clarke at Appalachian State
Ryan Silverfield at Memphis
Jeff Hafley at Boston College
Kalen DeBoer at Fresno State
Danny Gonzales at New Mexico
Brady Hoke at San Diego State
Mike Leach at Mississippi State
Nick Rolovich at Washington State

Openings:
Baylor
Hawaii

Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss...Mike Leach at Mississippi State

Egg bowl is going to be lit in 2020.

Willie Taggart who got fired from Florida State was hired as Head Coach by Florida Atlantic since Lane Kiffin stepped down to transfer to Ol'Miss. Looks like a few Florida State players transferred to Florida Atlantic as well reuniting with Mr. Taggart. Wide receiver D' Marcus Adams and defensive end Malcolm Lamar will have to sit out a year per NCAA guidelines then have 2 years eligibility left starting the 2021 season per NBCSports: Florida State football transfers reunite with Willie Taggart at FAU

It'll be interesting to see how Baylor's former head coach Matt Rhule will work alongside the former assistant to LSU's offensive coordinator whom many give credit for helping transition into the team's spread offense for 2019 when they work together on the Carolina Panthers next season.

Virginia Tech's head coach Justin Fuente is said to be in the running for the Baylor position. Of special note is Virginia Tech Defensive Coordinator/Associate Head Coach Bud Foster retiring. He's widely regarded as one of the best defensive coordinators in college football and has been with the Virginia Tech program since 1987. Before that he played at Murray State from 1977-1980 at Strong Safety and Outside Linebacker before moving onto being a graduate assistant there 2 years then joining the coach staff there until the end of 1986 when he went onto Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
It looks like they're going through with it. I've only seen a few minutes of the games that have been played so far, and they sound weird with no fans present. This is going to be the weirdest season ever, if it even finishes.

I got to see parts of the Duke-ND game and the Clemson-WF games. It was nice to see some football even if the season is a precarious one.

Kids keep getting sick it won't last long so we better enjoy it.

Kids keep getting sick it won't last long so we better enjoy it.

It's going to be a tenuous situation each week. Teams are going to end up playing different numbers of games, possibly even within their respective conferences, and the playoff is going to be more controversial than usual. Then, the worst case scenario is that the season is called due to the spread of C-19.

In the meantime, I highly enjoyed the beatdown of Loserville by the 'Canes. I'm still trying to process the idea of a year with no Governor's Cup. :(

Today was the first time since 2005, that I was not at the Bulldogs’ season opener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"